(Topic ID: 215054)

2018 Honda Odyssey Vs. 2018 Toyota Sienna

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 45 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 5 years ago

That stop start thing is one of the dumbest dumbass inventions of all time. I've been looking at a new higlander and it has it also. However, I can live with the button to turn it off, even if you have to hit it each time you get in. Now if it were not able to be turned off at all, that would be a potential dealbreaker for me.

FWIW I have 3 Toyotas all bought new, 2004 Camry 130,000 miles 2008 Solara 50,000 miles 2012 Higlander 70,000 miles. The only non maintenance repair for all 3 was a seal that had to be replaced on the Solara steering. Other than that all trouble free.

Before that I had 2 Chevrolets. I can't even begin to describe my hatred for those POS.

#102 5 years ago

Stop/start. It’s coming to a car near you. Soon. It will be everywhere. It is driven by the gas mileage regulations. It theoretically can provide a minuscule improvement in your overall mpg. IF your driving conditions are just right. Otherwise, probably won’t improve mpg at all. By shutting the engine off when you stop at a stoplight. And then restarting it when you step on the gas. Therefore repeatedly subjecting the engine to the single most strenuous and life-reducing thing it can possibly do. And adding a potentially dangerous situation for you if it doesn’t restart quickly enough to get you going when you need to. And adding high levels of extra wear and tear on your battery. Requiring an extra heavy duty battery. Which will be more expensive to replace. And probably will fail earlier. Or possibly even a second battery. Which adds weight (ironically reducing gas mileage) and adds more future maintenance costs.

A useless dumbass invention by dumbasses.

PS. Adds stress to the starter as well, requiring a special starter that costs more and probably will fail earlier.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

2017 Honda Pilot ... has the start/stop engine feature. Sucks. Totally sucks. It can be disabled but have to push button everytime. It has too many nanny features. The blind spot detectors, lane change pulling, auto braking if sense other cars, etc....it’s too damn much. In fact, that stuff makes it more dangerous when stuff happens and distracts me. I work in healthcare and driving a car now feels like walking down the hall of an ICU. Beeps and blips everywhere for everything.
    In years past, engineers designed cars based on physics and laws of science. You know, things that are universal and unchangeable? But when Federal Gov enacted higher mpg requirement laws, now automakers are trying to cheat the laws of nature with gimmicks. Start/stop, 9 plus gear transmissions, etc. all that stuff won’t make a big difference and in fact will cause consumers to spend more in the end. Restarting an engine is one of the hardest things on the complete car system. All those electronic gadgets are just gremlins lying in wait. And those won’t be cheap fixes because of the computers running them. Disable them? Then the insurance company won’t pay a claim, and may in fact come back after you for not having those safety features operating properly.

Absolutely great points that many people are not aware of these days. This is not a 2017 Honda Pilot thing, this is everywhere now. All of the things you mention are why I have held back from buying a new car, in my case I am looking at a Highlander, but all the same things apply. Another thing you didn't mention are the gremlin-like behaviors of these systems. Such as, slamming on the brakes even though there is nothing there, sounding warnings again when nothing is there, etc. These are supposed to be things to improve safety, but they also can be downright dangerous. I know personally of one person whose (almost brand new) car unexpectedly simply shut down in the middle a freeway trip, the reason later determined to be "computer failure". The start/stop thing and the 8-9 gear transmissions are used to eke out minuscule improvements in mpg, hardly worth all of the extra cost and maintenance. This is a bad direction all of the car makers are going in. Seat belts, anti-lock brakes, air bags, these were improvements that were well worth the return on investment. An expensive radar system with a computer tied to the brakes to stop the car because you are looking down at your phone and not paying attention is a waste. With all of the sensors in the bumpers now even if you just get involved in a small tap it is going to thousands to replace a bumper instead of hundreds. A lot of people don't know about the emblem on the front of their car, I first found out about it while researching the Toyota Highlander. If you have adaptive cruise control, they use a "special" see-through emblem. If you break it, it costs $500 to $1000. Versus $50 for the usual plastic piece.

camry emblems (resized).jpgcamry emblems (resized).jpg

The old way worked pretty darn good if you just put a little effort in it. Watch where you are going, leave a gap, take it easy and don't speed, and drive defensively while watching out for idiots. Add in staying off the phone and you are good to go.

#121 5 years ago

It took a while but I found a great local mechanic who does good work at decent rates and is honest. He always says this: “Buy a Toyota. You’ll never see me”.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then you will be able to afford filtered alkaline water and a good massage.

Haha who would even get that joke? Are other places like here? I drove through HB this morning and probably passed 5 alkaline water stores and massage parlors. And pho places every three feet.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'll have to see about the space difference with the Highlander vs the Sienna. I would rather get a Sienna, the Highlanders look to be more expensive and I just don't see the benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2018 Highlander has that Start/Stop technology which I want to avoid.

Yes, start/stop on 2018 Highlander. It can be disabled with a push button each time you start the car. It really will be difficult to avoid the start/stop thing no matter what brand and model you look at, it is coming everywhere as I said. I would be satisfied if I can quickly hit a button and disable it. Some people consider this a major issue but that is fine for me. Now if there were no button and no way to turn it off, that would be really annoying.

I do like the Highlander, I have a 2012 and it has been great. I have hauled EM pins in it a few times with no problem. It’s great for road trips. Problem is my wife stole it from me so I need another one.

Edit... yes the mod as posted by DCFAN is an option too. Some over at the Toyotanation forum have put that in.

#151 5 years ago

Sequoia is nice except for the mpg. They made minor cosmetic changes for 2018 but unfortunately decided to add in the kitchen sink safety features such as collision detection, blind spot detection, etc. Sounds like it is a total disaster. Check out the thread about the 2018 in the Sequoia forum at toyotanation for more.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Ford is a MESS in the digital age. Their Microsoft in-car system in their newer cars was so broken they actually forced it to reboot every night because they couldn't clean up the memory leaks that kept causing it to crash while driving and doing weird things randomly during the day like maxing out your stereo volume or turning your heat on full blast by itself as a result. They eventually changed vendors to BLACKBERRY to get away from Microsoft. A blast from the past.
    I would never have another Ford. Period.

I have said this for years. Car manufacturers suck at multimedia and software interfaces. They just plain suck at it, every one of them. The trail is littered with examples like yours, from the infamous BMW joystick to many others. It would be much more logical for them to get out of this entirely and concentrate on making cars. Let the aftermarket handle the multimedia. They should standardize wiring harnesses and connectors for speakers, design spots to easily mount speakers, and leave a big double din hole in the dash to install something that actually works.

I have Kenwood stereo/nav systems in all my Toyotas and they work great. Recently on a trip I rented a Nissan from Hertz that had a stereo with Android Auto. I installed the app and connected my phone to it in a matter of minutes and it worked great for a week of driving. Using the voice activated Google maps right on the big display worked great, just as good as the Garmin nav in the Kenwoods. I was impressed, I think I will go for this arrangement on my next one.

#158 5 years ago

I test drove a Highlander today. I liked it, but it felt sluggish off of a dead stop. I drove a V6 model.

If I understand this correctly the computers control and adjust the behavior of the transmission. It will change the shifting based on your style of driving, such as aggressive or conservative. It might be tuned for max mpg to start with which would make it behave like that. There are some threads discussing this at the toyotanation forums.

#161 5 years ago

This was a brand new vehicle with only 10 miles on it so maybe it just has to learn more.

Exactly...

Quoted from o-din:

That's the problem right there. Passenger cars and trucks just aren't what they used to be. In the last 5-10 years they are all so bogged down now with technological innovations that the enjoyment of driving may never be the same.

Exactly.....

But you do need to define what enjoyment of driving means. Most people aren't looking at an SUV or a van to go flying down the road and zipping around corners. They are looking for smooth and easy transportation. I don't think the increase it tranny speeds to 7, 8, or 9 are doing anything other than increasing mpg.

If you wanna drive the car for the fun of driving a car, let's face it, a stick shift is the only way to go. Good luck finding that on a new car these days!

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

One that I can work the radio without causing a major accident.

Aftermarket, aftermarket.

Like I said, my Highlander got swiped from me, but this other Toyota is pretty fun to drive, even with an automatic.

2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg

#192 5 years ago

I think the deal is good.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2018-toyota-sienna?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.