(Topic ID: 215054)

2018 Honda Odyssey Vs. 2018 Toyota Sienna

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 45 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 6 years ago

I have been a minivan owner for an embarrassing number of years. I flat out love how practical they are. I drove a Dodge Caravan for many years, and it really never had too many issues until it hit about 160k. Went from that to a 2012 Toyota Sienna. The Sienna was far more luxurious, had more room, and even got better gas mileage (about 2 mpg better). After 2 years of ownership, the Sienna started getting electrical Gremlins. I was past the warranty from a mileage perspective, so any diagnostics/costs add up quick when dealing with electrical. Both of the power sliding doors would open and close when they felt like it (never while driving thank god). Most of the time during extreme cold, they wouldn't work at all. The dealership quoted me $5k for computer replacement that would fix the door issue.

I took that van straight to a Dodge Dealership, and traded it in on a brand new Dodge Caravan with almost all the options. For me, it's Dodge or nothing when it comes to minivans. I believe they are still the only ones that hold the patent for full stow and go (front and rear passenger). It doesn't sound like much, but after not having the fronts stow down in the Toyota (had to remove them), I could never go back to another minivan that didn't have full stow and go.

We drove the Honda quite a bit when choosing between the Toyota and the Honda, but from a ride comfort perspective, the Toyota just felt more comfortable to my wife and myself.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Anyone have any idea what a weird odor could be? The vehicles had about 20 miles on them each, so they were very new.

It will disappear after about 200-300 miles. My Caravan and my Dart were the same way. The dealer told me it was some sort of coating that was on the exhaust manifolds. I bought my Caravan 6 months before the Pacifica was released. If the Pacifica was an option at the time, I would be driving one today. Very nice vehicles. I don't normally suggest extended warranties on vehicles, but I would highly suggest extending the Chrysler bumper to bumper to 100k. Mine only set me back about $1500 to add it on at purchase, and I had to use it once on my Dart (but not my Caravan). $100 deductible is all you pay when you take it in. With the advanced factory diagnostics needed today, the costs of repairs adds up quickly.

Also, that is a nice price for the Toyota. My 2012 Sienna was $48,500 at the time.... Good to see they have come down some.

#52 6 years ago

I don't have Ziegler near me.

Ziegler is a factory backed warranty instead of a dealer specific. My dealer sold me the ziegler warranty... http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com

Check out ewald chrysler in Oconomowoc for comparison shopping. I found them to be a bit cheaper then milwaukee or madison, but I bought two brand new vehicles at the same time.

I also don't care about resale because we will have the vehicles 10 years or so.

Also, on the warranty pricing, check to see if the deductible is included or not. The higher cost plans are usually zero deductible.

#59 6 years ago

Holy crap. How can they sell that for $31,400. It's the same vehicle that I was quoted for $37,500 at a Chrysler dealership. It didn't look like that was a Chrysler dealership on that one though, does that make a difference?

Doesnt make a difference at all. That dealer is part of an autogroup, where they carry a large variety of vehicles. You still get full factory warranty, and you can still get extended warranty too.

The most important thing (after the sale) is finding a local dealer that has an excellent service department. Anyone can sell a new car, but not all service departments are created equally.

#73 6 years ago

Does anyone have a vehicle with that "stop and go" tech. Does it get annoying?

I drove a Malibu for a weekend with that tech. The first day it bothered me, after that I didnt really even notice it.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Along the same lines...Does anyone have an informed opinion about the Nissan Quest? You certainly don't see many of them. (Maybe that's all one needs to know.) I like its looks and the fact that it's a Japanese car that's actually Made in Japan.

I love Nissans... One of the few vehicles that has/had the options for manual transmissions and roll down windows. They are super reliable too. I think the problem with Nissans is that once you start loading them up with options to make them comparable to their competition, they end up being more expensive than their competition.

Also, I believe the Quest has been discontinued.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

100,000 miles is the beginning of the end for many other car manufacturers

Is it though? Maybe 20 years ago, but manufacturers can't afford to make mistakes anymore.....

There isnt a single manufacturer today I would be nervous about buying a new car and not getting 100k miles fairly problem free out of.... Only two that would give me some pause would be Subaru (gaskets) and VW (electrical)....

#83 6 years ago

I would have to agree with this. My sister bought a Dodge Grand Caravan. They bought it new in 2015, zero issues at 50K. I've put about $3,000 in repairs into my Toyota Sienna over the past 6 years, nothing serious like the engine or transmission, but a lot of minor repairs nonetheless. There was a service bulletin with the steering that set me back $1,000. The check engine light came on once that set me back about $800. Then a lot of brakes and rotors, an O2 sensor, the rear coil springs and shocks.

It sounds like your experience with Toyota is very similar to mine, and a lot of people I know. Major problems? No, not really... Inexpensive problems? No not really.... I feel like anything over $300 is an above average cost for a low mileage vehicle. I get replacing brakes, tires, etc.... I don't understand spending $800 on a PCV valve (guessing that is what you had replaced) because of $775 of labor to take the top half of the engine off to get to it.

I am sort of surprised you are still considering a Sienna given your recent track history with them.

Edit... the o2 sensor set me back $700... I replaced the PCV myself....

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

How is it for pinhauling? Can it do two pins (in a "T" formation) and have room for a dolly on the side of the pin in back?

Looking at the dimensions, they are almost identical to the Caravan... I have done 3 Dmds in my Caravan. Two pins and a Dolly should be no problem.

#91 6 years ago

What a difference! There is so much power, the van just zips along.

Why didnt you say that from the beginning? Hold out for the 707hp Hellcat Pacifica....

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chrysler/2017-chrysler-pacifica-hellcat-ar172693.html

#93 6 years ago

0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds in a minivan LOL

I'm not gonna lie... If that thing came out and was 50k, Im all in... lol

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

What is the stop/start thing? I have a 2017 touring plus and I'm not familiar with that feature. Is that on the limited or something?

It started at the end of 2017. It is standard on all Pacificas now. It improves city mpg by about 1mpg. It can be disabled with a button, but resets every time car is restarted.

#108 6 years ago

It seems like when you have a problem with your vehicle Honda might be a little more difficult to deal with overall, that's the general sense I got

I would look at reviews of the local dealers in your area and see who rises to the top for service. Like I said before, these days it's almost impossible to buy a brand new lemon. No matter what you choose, tou want to make sure the service you get is top notch and experienced.

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

They just plain suck at it, every one of them

I would agree with this up until I got the touch interface UConnect/ with Navigation in my Caravan, and Dart. It works REALLY well. With the additional touch controls on the wheel, it is really slick.... Press button, say what you want, have vehicle do it for you. No more reaching around (that's what she said) to get something to work.

3 months later
    #232 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I may be looking at picking up a minivan in the not too distant future and came across this thread. Odyssey, Sienna, and Pacifica are all on my list; my wife likes that there is a plug in hybrid option for the Pacifica. One of the things I want the minivan for is to be a pinhauler, so I was wondering if the newer models (2018 or 2019) can all fit two machines. The wiki says that the 2018 Odyssey can fit two Sterns, but can anyone confirm if that is true for the Sienna or Pacifica as well?

Both of them will. Don't quote me on this, but I am 95% sure you don't get stow and go on the hybrid Pacifica because of the battery placement under the van.

#237 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Huh? I haven't seen one mention of the Nissan Quest. We love our 2012 SL. 70k miles so far and no issues. Leather, Dual sunroof, DVD, larger wheels, etc. Came in right around $30k. Way cheaper than the Honda or Toyota with generally more features. Hauls a load of pins easily to boot.
    [quoted image]

The Quest was discontinued a few years ago.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Thank you, you answered my next question which was whether it can fit a machine and still use the second row. Did I understand you correctly that the Pacifica can fit 3 machines?

It can if you get creative. It is essentially the same internal size as a Dodge Caravan. I can confirm I have had two WPC widebodies and one WPC standard in at the same time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2018-toyota-sienna?tu=ralphwiggum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.