(Topic ID: 215054)

2018 Honda Odyssey Vs. 2018 Toyota Sienna

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 45 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Back on the hunt for a new vehicle again. I like our 2010 Sienna so I figured another van would be the way to go. Opinions on these 2 vans? I'm going to get the EX-L with the infotainment stuff on the Odyssey or the XLE Sienna but I think the package with the entertainment stuff costs a couple grand more. I test drove both today and like both a lot.

My only warning would be to look into a VCMuzzler if you get the Honda. Since 2008 they have been prone to having excessive oil consumption problems and in some cases killing engines that ran dry with no check engine light coming on for the oil when it got low. Odyssey with the problem can use a quart or more every 1000 miles, which Honda tried to say is "normal" - and they got sued for it and settled, paying for repairs on many affected Odysseys, but not all.

A quick check of Honda forums shows there are still complaints about excessive oil consumption. The VCMuzzler seems to make it about 75% better which is a huge improvement.

Talking to the BAR in CA, it seems that Toyota has similar problems, but not as severe. In both cases it's caused by rings on the pistons to reduce friction and improve fuel economy that are letting oil seep, plus software that turns off cylinders that aren't needed in highway driving.

#27 6 years ago

What's funny though is if you type any problem into google and your vehicle year/model you'll get people talking on forums or youtube videos. If I type in my own 2010 Sienna on google for "excessive oil consumption" I get lots of results. My 2010 Sienna has not burned or leaked one drop of oil. It's really hard to narrow down what actual problems really do exist with any given model of any vehicle.
    If I do a search for "transmission problems" on pretty much any vehicle I get a lot of google results.
    About the transmission - any issues with the new 9 speed that are in the Honda Odyssey and I think other new Honda vehicles like the Pilot? The Toyota has an new 8 speed, wondering about that one too. If I do a google search for problems they come up. But when I do a search for my current camry and Sienna I get lots of pages with problems too, even though I've never had an issue.
    Any suggestions on how to determine if/what type of issues exist with the 2018 Honda Odyssey or 2018 Toyota Sienna?

Toyotas have the same issue, but not to the same degree. Hondas was bad enough for a class action lawsuit, so I'm pretty confident it wasn't internet bitching alone. Also, the fact that the guy at the CA BAR was intimately familiar with the problem and causes and mentioned Toyota has the issue in degrees, too means it's not plain internet bitching, either. As long as you're aware...

#29 6 years ago

I remember reading about my 2007 Toyota Camry having "excessive oil consumption". So far it hasn't turned into anything too serious. I'm not disagreeing with you but if you type in "any car company" plus "class action lawsuit" there are tons of google results. What vehicle do you recommend vireland?

Of the two, I'd still recommend the Odyssey as it's the ultimate pin-hauler (2 pins plus a pin dolly, with room to spare), but I would definitely put the device on that disables the VCM, which seems to delay or prevent the oil consumption issue if the one you get (lottery, essentially) is susceptible to it. A little insurance goes a long way. We've had two Odysseys. Our 2000 model was perfection. Our 2008 has been one issue after another its whole life. Probably will still get a 2019 or 2020 Odyssey (hoping the Japanese hybrid comes here), though.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

We have a 2016 Honda Odyssey and it has been great. No oil consumption, so maybe they got this issue figured out (my 2009 Honda Pilot uses about 1 quart of oil every 5000 miles). This was our 3rd Honda and all of them have been great, almost no maintenance issues.

1 Quart per 5k miles is great. If you have the issue you're using a quart every 1000-2000 miles and Honda's response (before the lawsuit) was that was "normal".

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

you're going to take a huge hit on resale value on the Pacifica compared to Toyota or Honda. I would look for a 2017 model if you go that route. They are very nice on the inside and have great features. I just don't know how long term reliability is since it's a new model.
    I'd also make sure to take a look and test drive a Kia Sedona before making your decision. They really are a good value. You can get a nicely equipped 2017 model with leather and some nice features with low miles (20K) for around $22K certified with a decent warranty.
    I haven't bought a van yet but have done some research and will likely buy in the next 6 months.

Kia body metal is paper thin. The smallest impact becomes a big expense. I'd never own a Kia.

Plus, if you buy used you're missing out on all the electric/hybrid incentives, to the tune if about $10k in CA between Federal/State/Local. That alone makes new a better deal than used. Sucks up all the initial depreciation in advance.

#58 6 years ago

Holy crap. How can they sell that for $31,400. It's the same vehicle that I was quoted for $37,500 at a Chrysler dealership. It didn't look like that was a Chrysler dealership on that one though, does that make a difference?

This is the seller:
    https://www.ubersox.net/

Touring-L and Touring Plus in the 27k-31k range.

#68 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm down to either the Sienna or Pacifica. I know most people would say Toyota but until today I hadn't looked at the Pacifica and I'm more than impressed. The Siennas design inside the vehicle looks really dated and not inspired, kinda boring looking but I know it will be a solid vehicle.

Pacifica is a very impressive van. Honda and Toyota will both be playing catch-up since the Pacifica has become pretty popular as a result. If you go the hybrid, the federal (and possibly state and local) renewable energy car rebates and incentives will offset some of the extra depreciation a Chrysler has over a Toyota or Honda.

#77 6 years ago

Does anyone have a vehicle with that "stop and go" tech. Does it get annoying?

Pretty sure our Volt does that. Doesn't bother me at all.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from waltrr:

You really should look at a Picifica.
    I bought a new Pacifica in 2017 when they 1st came out. It was also my 8th mini van and I've got to say... I LOVE IT!!
    The adaptive cruise control is incredible, as is everything else in this van. Also have the vented seats and glass roofs front and back. And after more than a year, I still love getting into the thing every day. Such an awesome ride. They nailed it!!

How is it for pinhauling? Can it do two pins (in a "T" formation) and have room for a dolly on the side of the pin in back?

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mark66:

all of Honda parts are the same high quality as the eng/trans so they last longer.

This is not true anymore. 2000 Honda? Yes. Now? No.

Lots of finish issues. The handles are plastic on the doors and the paint starts to rub off on the driver's side from use after about 5-6 years. The oil consumption issue. The widespread A/C relay problem (We've had two blow now. It's a $4 part, but a PITA when it happens. I carry one in my glove box for the next time because this issue kills your battery, too). Everyone's cutting corners now. It's just that Honda's standard was so high, they're still pretty good. But they're nowhere close to where they used to be for quality and reliability.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Only problem I had with it is that it couldn't swim.

That sounds like a BIG problem. When/how did you discover that?

#149 6 years ago

Ford lost me after our 2006 Escape we had many years ago. It was leaking oil in every place imaginable, probably burning it also, I was dumping in a quart a week. The coil packs kept going bad and you couldn't rev the engine too hard as it was not even mounted properly.

Ford is a MESS in the digital age. Their Microsoft in-car system in their newer cars was so broken they actually forced it to reboot every night because they couldn't clean up the memory leaks that kept causing it to crash while driving and doing weird things randomly during the day like maxing out your stereo volume or turning your heat on full blast by itself as a result. They eventually changed vendors to BLACKBERRY to get away from Microsoft. A blast from the past.

I would never have another Ford. Period.

#182 5 years ago

I don't like what the manufacturers are doing with new vehicles, all the start/stop stuff, smaller weaker engines and so much technology I'm afraid of things breaking.

It's all a stopgap until almost everything (everything?) is electric. Kind of like when cars sucked REAL BAD in the late 1970's into the early 80's because they were just starting to deal with EPA regulations and didn't have good tech in place to meet the goals. It all smoothed out in the late 1980's into the 1990s, and we're just now hitting another wall on tech/fuel economy for gas engines, one I don't think they'll get past. So, electric motors make the most sense moving forward - they're win/win for everyone except dealer service departments since they need almost no maintenance. First we'll have more hybrids, then transition to all electrics. Some strong improvements in battery tech are just about to hit the mainstream that will take it all to the next level and leave L-ion behind.

#184 5 years ago

I got my Sienna today!
    XLE Premium

Out the door price?

#194 5 years ago

I ended up getting the van for $37K, the MSRP was $42K. Whether or not that's a good deal who knows. The van is for my wife, if I was buying it for me I would have just went with the cheaper LE with cloth seats. My wife wanted the leather and heated seats. I hate paying this much for a vehicle, but the bottom line is we need good, reliable transportation with a family and vacations (and pinball).

Best deal I ever got was on a new Odyssey right after the crash of 2008. NO ONE was selling anything and they were desperate to get rid of inventory after months of no sales. We got a loaded $38k Odyssey for $27k out the door with tax, license and everything. I'll likely never get a deal that good again.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Not true we just bought a 2018 Odyssey Elite, Honda is offering 1.9% financing.

So tempting, but I'm trying very hard to hold out for the Hybrid Odyssey next year...

1 month later
    #219 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Got the Odyssey. Wife loves the Pacific pewter color. Kind of metallic brownish. It's a cool van, if there is such a thing, with tons of safety features and it feels nice to have the wife and kids in a new dependable vehicle. Plus pins fit in there

What was your out the door on it? Is that the EX Navi+Rear Entertainment?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2018-toyota-sienna?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.