(Topic ID: 215054)

2018 Honda Odyssey Vs. 2018 Toyota Sienna

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 45 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

I'm generally a Toyota guy mostly because of their trucks, but Honda seems to build as dependable a product in most cases.

Both are going to be long lasting, reliable vehicles, so it comes down to whatever style, options, and comfort of driving you prefer.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Does the Odyssey come with a timing belt or chain. The Sienna has a timing chain. That would be a decider for me to get a car with a chain if all other things are fairly equal, especially if you plan on keeping the car 9 plus years.

This is a real good point and Toyota has been going back and forth with that for a long time. And can be one or the other depending on if it is a four or six cylinder.

That being said, they are much sturdier now and when I did the belt on my 3.4 pickup a while back, the parts I removed still looked like brand new after 80,000 miles. But nobody wants to break one and bend the valves on interference engines like Honda has been mostly known to use.

#15 6 years ago

Looks like most or all Toyotas have been using a chain for the last ten years.

Rarely, but occasionally I get a high mileage one in that is rattling a bit, but at least that is some kind of warning when it needs to be replaced.

#17 6 years ago

It's funny as in my owners manual for my Tacoma, there is nowhere in the maintenance schedule at all that mentions timing belt replacement.

In the early days 60,000 miles was the general rule of thumb and usually listed as such, but when I worked a Nissan we were getting a lot of 300Zs and Maximas towed in at 50,000- 55,000 with broken belts and bent valves.

Some belts got thicker and heavier over the years like my V-6 Tacoma so they will last much much longer than that.

#18 6 years ago

One thing about Honda that kind of bothers me is that "random act of kindness" ad campaign.

Maybe they are giving away a bunch of money, but that has to come from somewhere, probably the bottom line on the price of the vehicles.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I’ll never own another Nissan.

I worked as a mechanic at a Nissan dealer and they had problems you would never see on Toyotas or Hondas. A lot of which was related to cheap thin wiring and bad connectors. Maybe they are better now, but I see no reason to buy one, when Toyotas have always served me well.

I'm going to drive my 2001 Tacoma with 180,000 miles on it until the wheels fall off. Or my wheels fall off, whichever comes first.

Most Toyotas that come in my shop now with very high miles have no leaks and the owners say they have never had any problems. But there are a few exceptions.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Only 98,000 miles on it.

100,000 miles is the beginning of the end for many other car manufacturers. I had an '03 Corolla in the other day with over 300,000 and that little motor was still purring like a kitten

#118 6 years ago

I am pleased to say my 2001 Tacoma with no antilock brakes or asshole detection systems has made it thru another day and I arrived safely at work today.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It took a while but I found a great local mechanic who does good work at decent rates and is honest. He always says this: “Buy a Toyota. You’ll never see me”.

Then you will be able to afford filtered alkaline water and a good massage.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Haha who would even get that joke?

The same people that would listen to and take the advice of somebody that has been in the automotive business for over 35 years... nobody.

#129 6 years ago

But I'll leave it at this.

In five years when you go to sell your Toyota, if you decide to do so, you are going to get way more for it than your Chrysler junk. And you will have people lining up to buy it.

#132 6 years ago

I'm going to add one more little tidbit.

In 35 years of auto repair and service, I can't remember if I ever replaced a radiator or coolant hose on a Toyota. My 2001 Tacoma with almost 200,000 miles still has all it's original hoses and they are still holding up just fine.

The Chrysler minivans we get in for inspection almost always have the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner cracked and falling apart after just a few years and they fail and have to go get a new one.

#142 6 years ago

My radiator and hoses had to be replaced in the Camry at around 6 years old. Also the water pump. Sounds like you live where there is no salt/chemicals dumped on the roads. They destroy vehicles, no matter the brand.

That is something that did cross my mind. Some vehicles may be more prone to cold weather and salt damage than others.

I can only go by where I am at, which we have neither of those and Toyotas tend to outlast them all.

#160 6 years ago

This was a brand new vehicle

That's the problem right there. Passenger cars and trucks just aren't what they used to be. In the last 5-10 years they are all so bogged down now with technological innovations that the enjoyment of driving may never be the same.

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

But you do need to define what enjoyment of driving means.

One that I can work the radio without causing a major accident.

#164 6 years ago

If I had to buy a new one, it would certainly be a Toyota. Thank goodness I have an older one

You know I see all different cars all day, but it sure seems a lot of the newest ones have taken a step backwards in user friendliness.

1 week later
    #203 5 years ago

I got my Sienna today!

XLE Premium

Is that anything like a SuperLE?

#205 5 years ago

Good you didn't settle for a "pro" model.

But I'll be damned if I ever use a cargument in saying a Toyota is like any Stern.

Congrats! In ten years when all today's new Caravans are either rotting in junkyards or limping down the road, your Toyota should still have a good resale value.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2018-toyota-sienna?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.