(Topic ID: 215054)

2018 Honda Odyssey Vs. 2018 Toyota Sienna

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 45 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RacerRik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I've owned 2 Honda Odysseys. Both Touring. Over 100K miles each.
    For the most part they are pretty reliable but....
    The service guys at the Honda dealership are absolute a-holes and liars.
    The 2015 i had made a weird knocking sound whenever i turned sharp at low speeds.
    They claimed to never be able to hear it or acknowledge anything out of the ordinary at all. That started almost immediately after i bought it.
    Secondly, i was going through brakes like crazy. It was getting scary trying to slow down going downhill, shaking really badly.
    Constantly needing the rotors worked on. Like every other month i'd be in there.
    THEY BLAMED ME! SAYING IT WAS MY DRIVING HABITS!!
    I finally took it to a mechanic in town and he took one look and said, THE BRAKES ARE TOO SMALL FOR A VEHICLE THAT HEAVY.
    He ordered larger brakes. The new brakes WORKED PERFECTLY for years.

If your brakes are repeatedly having problems with shaking / pulsating, it probably is your driving habits. This problem occurs due to brake pad deposits on the rotors. That happens when you stop from highway speeds and then keep your foot on the brakes like at a stop light. Does this scenario sound like part of your normal driving routine? To prevent pad deposits, when you stop from highway speeds you should not let the vehicle sit stopped in one position. Let it roll just a couple inches and then stop again. Repeat this until the light turns green, never letting it sit in one spot for more than a second or two.

I also think your mechanic may have pulled a fast one on you. You can't just "order larger brakes" for a Honda Odyssey. The brakes are the same size for all versions of a particular model year of Odyssey, so you can't just order the brakes for a higher end model. So called "Big Brake Kits" are available for many popular high performance cars but the Honda Minivan is not a high performance car and no-one would market a big brake kit for it.

To fix your specific problem, my guess is the mechanic probably just put on a cheap set of pads. A knowledgeable mechanic will know that cheap aftermarket pads have very hard friction material which is less likely to cause deposits on the rotors. They also don't have as much "bite" as the OEM Honda pads. You may or may not notice this difference in braking - unless you get on the brakes very hard, you probably can't tell the difference. So it might be a reasonable trade off. Other benefits of the cheap pads is they tend to produce less dust than the OEM pads and wear at a much slower rate. The only downside is that for absolute maximum braking ( think emergency stop) the cheap pads will not stop the car as quickly. This is due to the reduction of the coefficient of friction of the pads plus the imbalance it causes front to rear in the braking system.

I hope the mechanic did not charge you a bunch of cash for supposedly putting larger brakes on your car. If he did, you were most likely ripped off.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm actually very surprised the Odyssey overtook the Sienna in the poll.

I am not surprised. We have had two Odysseys. Both were excellent. Each time we went car shopping, we compared other brands including the Sienna. The Honda drove better than the others and was a better price for comparable features.

#167 5 years ago

I suggest you avoid the 19" tires. They have short sidewalls which make it much easier to get wheel and tire damage. Plus the cost of 19" tires is obnoxious. You also won't get any performance advantage for the 19" wheels and tires - they are for looks only. Most likely, the 19" tires and wheels are substantially heavier than the 17" so you would actually get worse performance due to the increase in unsprung weight.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RacerRik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2018-toyota-sienna?tu=RacerRik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.