(Topic ID: 215054)

2018 Honda Odyssey Vs. 2018 Toyota Sienna

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 45 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg
    There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Same color as my 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport. Nice

We really love the color, not silver, not black, somewhere in between!

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

We really love the color, not silver, not black, somewhere in between!

Yeah, I was torn between this color, or the metallic orange... but my wife said the orange would make me look like an old guy trying to look cool. I had a 1983 Toyota SR5 4x4 in the metallic grey & I liked it then, still like it now.
    The color has legs.

#203 5 years ago

I got my Sienna today!

XLE Premium

Is that anything like a SuperLE?

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is that anything like a SuperLE?

No, that would be like a Stern Premium. The Sienna limited would be like a Super LE.

#205 5 years ago

Good you didn't settle for a "pro" model.

But I'll be damned if I ever use a cargument in saying a Toyota is like any Stern.

Congrats! In ten years when all today's new Caravans are either rotting in junkyards or limping down the road, your Toyota should still have a good resale value.

#206 5 years ago

One of the reasons I gave up looking for an Odyssey is that Honda isn't offering any incentives at all on the interest rates. Toyota has 0.9% for 60 months which helps a lot. I'd be up around 4% through the banks.
    The Odyssey is really nice, I test drove one. I'd have a tougher decision for sure if they were more competitive right now on the rates.

Not true we just bought a 2018 Odyssey Elite, Honda is offering 1.9% financing.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

I was in the honda dealership about 2 weeks ago. We had a long conversation about financing, when I was there they did not have 1.9%. Was that directly through honda or maybe something the dealership has setup through a local bank?

#208 5 years ago

I was in the honda dealership about 2 weeks ago. We had a long conversation about financing, when I was there they did not have 1.9%. Was that directly through honda or maybe something the dealership has setup through a local bank?

We were in the dealership on Saturday and this is what they offered through Honda. Should pick up the car tomorrow. I just checked on their website and it is 0.9% for up to 36 months and 1.9% for up to 60 months. You have to put in you zip code to see what offers are available so it could be region specific.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

We were in the dealership on Saturday and this is what they offered through Honda. Should pick up the car tomorrow. I just checked on their website and it is 0.9% for up to 36 months and 1.9% for up to 60 months. You have to put in you zip code to see what offers are available so it could be region specific.

Just checked the honda site, looks like the offer started May 1st for 1.9%. Good deal. Enjoy the odyssey, I did like the vehicle a lot.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

So tempting, but I'm trying very hard to hold out for the Hybrid Odyssey next year...

1 week later
    #211 5 years ago

Too funny that this topic exists here...I am making the exact same decision. I ruled out kia after learning the middle seats are not removeable.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Too funny that this topic exists here...I am making the exact same decision. I ruled out kia after learning the middle seats are not removeable.

Makes sense though because vans make such great pin haulers. We are really happy with our sienna, the XLE Premium is the one to get!

#213 5 years ago

I am leaning towards the Honda a little, because we had a great run with our current 09, but going tonight to check out both and see what they will give us for the blue bomber

#214 5 years ago

We went with the Honda....waiting for them to source one in our color hopefully getting it this week

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

We went with the Honda....waiting for them to source one in our color hopefully getting it this week

The Oddysey is legit

I bought one as a work vehicle about 6-8 weeks ago

Hit 100 mph unintentionally a few times. Cant hear shit behind all that acoustic glass, leather & V6

"Clean on the inside cream on the outside. Ice, ice cream, ice cream paint job"

FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg

#216 5 years ago

Glad to hear ya like it. Trading in our 2009 Odyssey and wow have things changed. We went with pacific pewter with mocha interior. I’m actually psyched to get a minivan, how sad is that?,

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Glad to hear ya like it. Trading in our 2009 Odyssey and wow have things changed. We went with pacific pewter with mocha interior. I’m actually psyched to get a minivan, how sad is that?,

Nothing sad about it. New vehicles are awesome, so many cool features. I'm going to buy another minivan again when mine wears out.

1 week later
    #218 5 years ago

Got the Odyssey. Wife loves the Pacific pewter color. Kind of metallic brownish. It's a cool van, if there is such a thing, with tons of safety features and it feels nice to have the wife and kids in a new dependable vehicle. Plus pins fit in there

IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpgIMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpgIMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #219 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Got the Odyssey. Wife loves the Pacific pewter color. Kind of metallic brownish. It's a cool van, if there is such a thing, with tons of safety features and it feels nice to have the wife and kids in a new dependable vehicle. Plus pins fit in there

What was your out the door on it? Is that the EX Navi+Rear Entertainment?

#220 5 years ago

Finally a pinside car thread I can participate in - picked up an elite for the wife last month.

IMG_1809 (resized).jpgIMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    #221 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

More
    What was your out the door on it? Is that the EX Navi+Rear Entertainment?

It's an EX-L. I didn't get the nav/res package because it has the ability to connect to your phone and use it's GPS and we have removeable DVD screens from our last van (that we never use). It has most of the amenities we wanted, without spending 47k on the elite. The one thing it doesn't have is the beeping parking sensors. That kinda pissed me off, I assumed they were in there. My OTD was 34,900.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

It's an EX-L. I didn't get the nav/res package because it has the ability to connect to your phone and use it's GPS and we have removeable DVD screens from our last van (that we never use). It has most of the amenities we wanted, without spending 47k on the elite. The one thing it doesn't have is the beeping parking sensors. That kinda pissed me off, I assumed they were in there. My OTD was 34,900.

I too bought the EXL. Its a work van for me & I enjoy every minute of it. This thing is my warehouse, office & tool shed.

Skipped the nav for the same reason. Android Auto is a great nav system & the integration with music/calling is so awesome you know your phone is gonna be linked up to the car anyway.

We opted out of the DVD package because from what I've seen that stuff ages poorly (failures & obsolescence) & we all have ipads. Plus again its a work van not a family hauler.

The Elite is awesome tho with the power shades, interior cam, vac, intercom over the audio & headphones tho. I emptied all my gear out of it & packed up the family for a trip to FL a few mos ago and it did great. During that trip I wished we had the elite but once I got home & put my shit back in it I was happy with the EXL.

Cant go wrong either way.

My wife has a 2017 CRV EXL & its nice AF. Nicer than the Oddysey in many way. But the space of the van is super luxury

We paid $34.5K which IIRC is $4K off MSRP after destination. All but one dealer came back w/the same $3K off MSRP so we took the $4K offer of course. They also threw in some mats, trays & splash guards which was cool.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

More
    I too bought the EXL. Its a work van for me & I enjoy every minute of it. This thing is my warehouse, office & tool shed.
    Skipped the nav for the same reason. Android Auto is a great nav system & the integration with music/calling is so awesome you know your phone is gonna be linked up to the car anyway.
    We opted out of the DVD package because from what I've seen that stuff ages poorly (failures & obsolescence) & we all have ipads. Plus again its a work van not a family hauler.
    The Elite is awesome tho with the power shades, interior cam, vac, intercom over the audio & headphones tho. I emptied all my gear out of it & packed up the family for a trip to FL a few mos ago and it did great. During that trip I wished we had the elite but once I got home & put my shit back in it I was happy with the EXL.
    Cant go wrong either way.
    My wife has a 2017 CRV EXL & its nice AF. Nicer than the Oddysey in many way. But the space of the van is super luxury
    We paid $34.5K which IIRC is $4K off MSRP after destination. All but one dealer came back w/the same $3K off MSRP so we took the $4K offer of course. They also threw in some mats, trays & splash guards which was cool.

I forgot... My guy threw in full all weather mats for all three rows and tire locks

#224 5 years ago

This thread has been extremely helpful when I was doing my research - so I have to share how I went. Reading through the earlier posts, I actually went with the Pacifica over the Odyssey. That second row fold flat over the 'magic seats' that leave the base behind regardless was a major factor, as was the bang for the buck.

I paid just a touch over $37k and got the Touring Plus L. That model generally has everything Limited has - but without the vented seats, sunroof, driver seat memory and 20" wheels (I didn't want anyway). Also got the various additional optional packages that included the ridiculous amount of saftey sensors, 360 degree camera, extra entertainment package connectivity and tow hitch package at the price point too.

Tow hitch + Escalera w/ Forklift = ridiculously easy pinhauling to/from any location

20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    #225 5 years ago

MB Metris is a nice van too

#226 5 years ago

It's been about a month since we got our Toyota Sienna XLE. So far everything is great, no problems. It is my wife's vehicle, she has only put about 700 miles on it. So many cool features. I test drove all 3 vehicles multiple times (Sienna, Odyssey & Pacifica) and I would say that you can't go wrong with any of them. They all had some unique features that each of the others didn't have. All 3 drove about the same, especially the Odyssey and Pacifica since they use the same transmission. I felt the Sienna had a little more power off a dead stop, but maybe I'm biased. This will be our 6th Toyota and the only one with issues was our Camry (bad air conditioner among a few other things.)

#227 5 years ago

especially the Odyssey and Pacifica since they use the same transmission.

Interesting. Before getting my '13 Odyssey I drove a Caravan and one of my biggest complaints about it was how it shifted compared to my '02 Odyssey. The Caravan had more power than my '02 Odyssey and was quicker, but I could't get used to how it shifted when driving around town in the week that I drove it. I may have gotten used to it, and it wasn't the only thing that killed my interest in the Caravan, but it was a big point of consideration.

I know that even if the Odyssey and Pacifica have the same transmission, they could shift differently due to how the manufacturers program them, so it isn't a guarantee that they'd drive the similarly. But if the Pacifica shifted more like the Odyssey than the Caravan did it would be a bonus in my opinion.

#228 5 years ago

No doubt that Chrysler had problems getting transmissions right. The fact that they decided to outsource their transmissions (starting around 2014 in some vehicles) is a huge step in the right direction as far as longevity and reliability go (as well as comfort).

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I use my van for work too and I'll probably be looking for another next year. I currently have an EX-L and went with it for the same reasons you did. I use my phone for navigation and a DVD player was already old news in 2013 let alone 2018. My kids don't care about DVDs (or Blu-ray) anymore so no reason to spend the money on that option.

My kids are getting to the age that a van isn't as necessary as it was in 2013. So I was thinking I could go with something like a Transit that is more utilitarian and a lot cheaper. But I'm kind of concerned about the Transit's reliability compared to the Odyssey. My location owners have a Transit and it has given them a ton of problems with the transmission. I'd rather spend more for the Odyssey and know I can drive it for 6-10 years and it won't break.

I'm actually thinking next year I may go with an EX instead of an EX-L. If I'm not mistaken the EX doesn't have a moon roof. I never use the moon roof and I'd prefer it wan't there, so not having it is a bonus for me. I like the leather seats in the EX-L, but I could do without them. The main thing I'd really miss on the EX-L is the power liftgate. Man I love that. But for the price difference between the EX and the EX-L I could probably live without it. There is one company that makes an aftermarket power liftgate, but I'm not sure I'd want to trust it. Seems like things like that often don't work all that good.

#230 5 years ago

I drove the Gen 1 & Gen 2 Transit Connect for YEARS and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Gen 1 was the biggest pile of shit ever.

IIRC it was assembled in Romania of Turkish parts & shipped as a passenger van to dodge a tariff then stripped of its seats to become commercial & sent off to outfitters.

The F'n wheel wells were made of felt. Felt. Seriously. Felt.

It smelled like a goat too

The Gen 2 transit connect was a huge upgrade but I didnt drive it for long (switched employers).

There is no way I'd buy a Transit Gen 1 with my own money after my experience. Maybe a Gen 2 if I had to.

2 months later
    #231 5 years ago

I may be looking at picking up a minivan in the not too distant future and came across this thread. Odyssey, Sienna, and Pacifica are all on my list; my wife likes that there is a plug in hybrid option for the Pacifica. One of the things I want the minivan for is to be a pinhauler, so I was wondering if the newer models (2018 or 2019) can all fit two machines. The wiki says that the 2018 Odyssey can fit two Sterns, but can anyone confirm if that is true for the Sienna or Pacifica as well?

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I may be looking at picking up a minivan in the not too distant future and came across this thread. Odyssey, Sienna, and Pacifica are all on my list; my wife likes that there is a plug in hybrid option for the Pacifica. One of the things I want the minivan for is to be a pinhauler, so I was wondering if the newer models (2018 or 2019) can all fit two machines. The wiki says that the 2018 Odyssey can fit two Sterns, but can anyone confirm if that is true for the Sienna or Pacifica as well?

Both of them will. Don't quote me on this, but I am 95% sure you don't get stow and go on the hybrid Pacifica because of the battery placement under the van.

#233 5 years ago

Good to know. Thanks.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Both of them will. Don't quote me on this, but I am 95% sure you don't get stow and go on the hybrid Pacifica because of the battery placement under the van.

I think the far back seats on the hybrid are stow and go but not the middle row captains chairs on the hybrid.

I just bought a 2017 Pacifica in June and love it so far. I think it's the best driving of the big 3. Good get up and go for a van and we average around 28mpg. Lots of deals on 2017 Touring L's with leather and decent options and 20-25k miles from rental fleets out there right now. If you buy Certified pre owned they extend the power train warranty to 7 year 100k too.

#235 5 years ago

Still loving our 2018 Sienna, wife drives it everyday. Has about 3,500 miles on it now. I still have my 2010 Sienna, no problems at all. Yes, it could easily fit 2 Sterns I believe. I had a MET Pro in it and it looked like there would be room for another, but I've never actually tried to do it. My vote is for the Sienna. The Stow and Go is great on the Pacifica but those seats are much smaller and thinner. My Sienna middle and back row seats seem larger and are more comfortable. I drove all 3 vans extensively prior to purchasing another Sienna.

#236 5 years ago

Huh? I haven't seen one mention of the Nissan Quest. We love our 2012 SL. 70k miles so far and no issues. Leather, Dual sunroof, DVD, larger wheels, etc. Came in right around $30k. Way cheaper than the Honda or Toyota with generally more features. Hauls a load of pins easily to boot.

20160609_143826 (resized).jpg20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    #237 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Huh? I haven't seen one mention of the Nissan Quest. We love our 2012 SL. 70k miles so far and no issues. Leather, Dual sunroof, DVD, larger wheels, etc. Came in right around $30k. Way cheaper than the Honda or Toyota with generally more features. Hauls a load of pins easily to boot.
    [quoted image]

The Quest was discontinued a few years ago.

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

2016 was the last year they made the Quest for consumers. 2017 was rental fleet only. There are deals to be had on them. They are nice and I even test drove one but the crash test results scared me off especially with how icy Winters can be in WI.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/11/poor-crash-test-performance-costs-nissan-quest-minivan-its-consumer-reports-recommendation/index.htm

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

2016 was the last year they made the Quest for consumers. 2017 was rental fleet only. There are deals to be had on them. They are nice and I even test drove one but the crash test results scared me off especially with how icy Winters can be in WI.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/11/poor-crash-test-performance-costs-nissan-quest-minivan-its-consumer-reports-recommendation/index.htm

Low resale value doesn't help. I owned a Nissan years ago that fell apart, so it wasn't even a consideration for me.

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Ahh, so I can list it as "rare" when I sell it then!

#241 5 years ago

As a new Pacifica owner - I can't recommend it enough. That said - I wouldn't go Hybrid cause you lose the stow n go. That stow n go is a life saver and can turn my minivan from family hauler to pin hauler in under 5 minutes. It was the entire reason I went Pacifica over Odyssey (those bases can't really be removed, which is a major pain if you want to fit 3 in one shot on a long haul)

I can also confirm you can fit a complete game without removing the middle row (have done a number of sys 11s, haven't gotten to try a NIB yet but it should be fine).

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

As a new Pacifica owner - I can't recommend it enough. That said - I wouldn't go Hybrid cause you lose the stow n go. That stow n go is a life saver and can turn my minivan from family hauler to pin hauler in under 5 minutes. It was the entire reason I went Pacifica over Odyssey (those bases can't really be removed, which is a major pain if you want to fit 3 in one shot on a long haul)
    I can also confirm you can fit a complete game without removing the middle row (have done a number of sys 11s, haven't gotten to try a NIB yet but it should be fine).

Thank you, you answered my next question which was whether it can fit a machine and still use the second row. Did I understand you correctly that the Pacifica can fit 3 machines?

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Thank you, you answered my next question which was whether it can fit a machine and still use the second row. Did I understand you correctly that the Pacifica can fit 3 machines?

It can if you get creative. It is essentially the same internal size as a Dodge Caravan. I can confirm I have had two WPC widebodies and one WPC standard in at the same time.

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good you didn't settle for a "pro" model.

No Android Auto in an LX Honda. It's worth upgrading to an EX just for that one feature.

#245 5 years ago

If you get creative I think 3 machines is doable. It helps to have one older machine in the mix (or one that can easily be de-hinged).

I had a Jokerz and 2 other heads beside it in at the same time as the 2nd row/child seats so far. I called it 'baby's first pinhaul' on my Facebook post a few months ago . I've done a few other single machines with the 2nd row (Gorgar, Pin*Bot)

I got the hitch attachment on mine and splurged on an Escalera - I hang that sucker off the back so it doesn't take up space and can haul pretty much anything solo.

20180530_200458 (resized).jpg20180530_200458 (resized).jpg20180730_121404 (resized).jpg20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    #246 5 years ago

I don't know how often I would need to haul three machines at once, but you never know. What I could see being more likely is hauling two machines and wanting to still have the second row seats. I imagine that the configuration for three machines would be to have two side by side in the back, assuming the wheel base is wide enough, and the third sideways behind the front seats. If that is the case, I wonder if you could fit four people and two machines at once.

#247 5 years ago

I think you could - but you'd probably need to take the heads off and put the machines on their sides to save space. (or at least alternative one head in and one front in)

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2018-toyota-sienna/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.