Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by statictrance
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 44 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(79 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 years ago

Sequoia is nice except for the mpg. They made minor cosmetic changes for 2018 but unfortunately decided to add in the kitchen sink safety features such as collision detection, blind spot detection, etc. Sounds like it is a total disaster. Check out the thread about the 2018 in the Sequoia forum at toyotanation for more.

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Ford is a MESS in the digital age. Their Microsoft in-car system in their newer cars was so broken they actually forced it to reboot every night because they couldn't clean up the memory leaks that kept causing it to crash while driving and doing weird things randomly during the day like maxing out your stereo volume or turning your heat on full blast by itself as a result. They eventually changed vendors to BLACKBERRY to get away from Microsoft. A blast from the past.
    I would never have another Ford. Period.

I have said this for years. Car manufacturers suck at multimedia and software interfaces. They just plain suck at it, every one of them. The trail is littered with examples like yours, from the infamous BMW joystick to many others. It would be much more logical for them to get out of this entirely and concentrate on making cars. Let the aftermarket handle the multimedia. They should standardize wiring harnesses and connectors for speakers, design spots to easily mount speakers, and leave a big double din hole in the dash to install something that actually works.

I have Kenwood stereo/nav systems in all my Toyotas and they work great. Recently on a trip I rented a Nissan from Hertz that had a stereo with Android Auto. I installed the app and connected my phone to it in a matter of minutes and it worked great for a week of driving. Using the voice activated Google maps right on the big display worked great, just as good as the Garmin nav in the Kenwoods. I was impressed, I think I will go for this arrangement on my next one.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

They just plain suck at it, every one of them

I would agree with this up until I got the touch interface UConnect/ with Navigation in my Caravan, and Dart. It works REALLY well. With the additional touch controls on the wheel, it is really slick.... Press button, say what you want, have vehicle do it for you. No more reaching around (that's what she said) to get something to work.

#154 3 years ago

I don't use uConnect voice, but the interface is great. The Chevy equivalent is awful... I have to press like 3 buttons just to figure out what radio station I'm listening to.

#155 3 years ago

I'm actually very surprised the Odyssey overtook the Sienna in the poll.

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm actually very surprised the Odyssey overtook the Sienna in the poll.

I am not surprised. We have had two Odysseys. Both were excellent. Each time we went car shopping, we compared other brands including the Sienna. The Honda drove better than the others and was a better price for comparable features.

#157 3 years ago

I test drove a Highlander today. I liked it, but it felt sluggish off of a dead stop. I drove a V6 model.

#158 3 years ago

I test drove a Highlander today. I liked it, but it felt sluggish off of a dead stop. I drove a V6 model.

If I understand this correctly the computers control and adjust the behavior of the transmission. It will change the shifting based on your style of driving, such as aggressive or conservative. It might be tuned for max mpg to start with which would make it behave like that. There are some threads discussing this at the toyotanation forums.

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If I understand this correctly the computers control and adjust the behavior of the transmission. It will change the shifting based on your style of driving, such as aggressive or conservative. It might be tuned for max mpg to start with which would make it behave like that. There are some threads discussing this at the toyotanation forums.

This was a brand new vehicle with only 10 miles on it so maybe it just has to learn more.

#160 3 years ago

This was a brand new vehicle

That's the problem right there. Passenger cars and trucks just aren't what they used to be. In the last 5-10 years they are all so bogged down now with technological innovations that the enjoyment of driving may never be the same.

#161 3 years ago

This was a brand new vehicle with only 10 miles on it so maybe it just has to learn more.

Exactly...

Quoted from o-din:

That's the problem right there. Passenger cars and trucks just aren't what they used to be. In the last 5-10 years they are all so bogged down now with technological innovations that the enjoyment of driving may never be the same.

Exactly.....

But you do need to define what enjoyment of driving means. Most people aren't looking at an SUV or a van to go flying down the road and zipping around corners. They are looking for smooth and easy transportation. I don't think the increase it tranny speeds to 7, 8, or 9 are doing anything other than increasing mpg.

If you wanna drive the car for the fun of driving a car, let's face it, a stick shift is the only way to go. Good luck finding that on a new car these days!

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

But you do need to define what enjoyment of driving means.

One that I can work the radio without causing a major accident.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

One that I can work the radio without causing a major accident.

Aftermarket, aftermarket.

Like I said, my Highlander got swiped from me, but this other Toyota is pretty fun to drive, even with an automatic.

2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg

#164 3 years ago

If I had to buy a new one, it would certainly be a Toyota. Thank goodness I have an older one

You know I see all different cars all day, but it sure seems a lot of the newest ones have taken a step backwards in user friendliness.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Exactly...

Exactly.....
    But you do need to define what enjoyment of driving means. Most people aren't looking at an SUV or a van to go flying down the road and zipping around corners. They are looking for smooth and easy transportation. I don't think the increase it tranny speeds to 7, 8, or 9 are doing anything other than increasing mpg.
    If you wanna drive the car for the fun of driving a car, let's face it, a stick shift is the only way to go. Good luck finding that on a new car these days!

The Sienna zips around nicely. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

#166 3 years ago

Anyone on here actually own a 2018 or 2017 Sienna? Couple of quick questions...

When I sit in the front passengers seat it feels like the seat belt buckle is digging into my hip more than I'd like. Just wondering if anyone else has that problem? I sat in 3 of the 2018 Siennas and they all felt the same in that regard, it didn't bother my wife but she's a lot smaller than me so she didn't fill out the seat as much.

17 inch versus 19 inch tires? Any thoughts on that? We drove both, I couldn't tell much of a difference, but my wife was driving so it was difficult to say. The SE model has the 19 inch, the XLE would have the 17 inch.

#167 3 years ago

I suggest you avoid the 19" tires. They have short sidewalls which make it much easier to get wheel and tire damage. Plus the cost of 19" tires is obnoxious. You also won't get any performance advantage for the 19" wheels and tires - they are for looks only. Most likely, the 19" tires and wheels are substantially heavier than the 17" so you would actually get worse performance due to the increase in unsprung weight.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from RacerRik:

I suggest you avoid the 19" tires. They have short sidewalls which make it much easier to get wheel and tire damage. Plus the cost of 19" tires is obnoxious. You also won't get any performance advantage for the 19" wheels and tires - they are for looks only. Most likely, the 19" tires and wheels are substantially heavier than the 17" so you would actually get worse performance due to the increase in unsprung weight.

Thanks for the info. I did notice a slight burning smell through the vents, just the same as I did in the Chrysler Pacifica. I'm assuming again that it's just because it's new? Smelled it on 2 siennas today that we test drove. Wondering if this is common on all new vehicles.

#169 3 years ago

I bought a 2018 Odyssey EXL about 6 weeks ago.

Love it.

For me it’s a work vehicle.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I bought a 2018 Odyssey EXL about 6 weeks ago.
    Love it.
    For me it’s a work vehicle.

One of the reasons I gave up looking for an Odyssey is that Honda isn't offering any incentives at all on the interest rates. Toyota has 0.9% for 60 months which helps a lot. I'd be up around 4% through the banks.

The Odyssey is really nice, I test drove one. I'd have a tougher decision for sure if they were more competitive right now on the rates.

#171 3 years ago

One of the reasons I gave up looking for an Odyssey is that Honda isn't offering any incentives at all on the interest rates. Toyota has 0.9% for 60 months which helps a lot. I'd be up around 4% through the banks.
    The Odyssey is really nice, I test drove one. I'd have a tougher decision for sure if they were more competitive right now on the rates.

Be a baller & pay cash.

Problem solved

#172 3 years ago

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 2017 or earlier GMC Terrains? It seems like a pretty solid vehicle, just sluggish as hell with passing. It's ok off a dead stop, but you have to really hit the gas hard. The overall build quality seems pretty good.

#173 3 years ago

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 2017 or earlier GMC Terrains? It seems like a pretty solid vehicle, just sluggish as hell with passing. It's ok off a dead stop, but you have to really hit the gas hard. The overall build quality seems pretty good.

If you are going the GM direction, what about the Chevy Traverse?

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

If you are going the GM direction, what about the Chevy Traverse?

The new 2018 Traverse looks great but is so expensive!

#175 3 years ago

The new 2018 Traverse looks great but is so expensive!

How about a Rav4? I believe they are big enough for a pinball machine and are probably more reliable than a GMC.

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

How about a Rav4? I believe they are big enough for a pinball machine and are probably more reliable than a GMC.

Too small, we need a large family vehicle. Our current Sienna is 8 years old with about 120k miles on it, still works fine but I want something else new for traveling, my old one will be for pulling the boat around to lakes near us.

I was reading the new Traverse has no button at all to disable the Start/Stop feature. I would never purchase a vehicle without a way to disable that junk. That's the great thing about the 2018 Siennas - no start/stop feature! My fear is that they will start putting it in the Siennas soon, maybe 2019 models? I just don't want my engine to shut off at every stop.

#177 3 years ago

I owned the previous gen Terrain. It was a good vehicle, very well built. I had the 3.0 and I never felt it to be sluggish. It felt very dense, something like 4k lbs in a small SUV is a lot. I could get a pin into it, but load height made it a pain, and it was pretty tight (no room for a dolly), and a bumpy slide in. That's assuming you care about hauling a pin. If you think the Rav4 is too small though, the Terrain isn't a heck of a lot bigger. The Acadia is a nice vehicle.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I owned the previous gen Terrain. It was a good vehicle, very well built. I had the 3.0 and I never felt it to be sluggish. It felt very dense, something like 4k lbs in a small SUV is a lot. I could get a pin into it, but load height made it a pain, and it was pretty tight (no room for a dolly), and a bumpy slide in. That's assuming you care about hauling a pin. If you think the Rav4 is too small though, the Terrain isn't a heck of a lot bigger. The Acadia is a nice vehicle.

You must have had the V6. The 4 cylinder is sluggish. I was reading the V6 was pretty hard on gas.

#179 3 years ago

That is what I was thinking. The Terrain and Rav4 appear to be similar in size and both I believe are 4 cylinder.

#180 3 years ago

I did have the 3.0 v6. It was a solid engine, but just trying to remember, probably around 22mpg. So yeah, not great. I have also heard the l4 is quite sluggish, but I think it's a tall order to put that little engine in charge of pulling 4,000 lbs of mass.

#181 3 years ago

I did have the 3.0 v6. It was a solid engine, but just trying to remember, probably around 22mpg. So yeah, not great. I have also heard the l4 is quite sluggish, but I think it's a tall order to put that little engine in charge of pulling 4,000 lbs of mass.

Yea, I just feel like all the auto manufacturers are doing weird stuff because of government regulations and mandates. I don't think a 4 cylinder engine in a 4,000 pound vehicle sounds like a good idea but manufacturers do it anyway because they have to meet the crazy MPG standards the gov't is demanding. Now it's 1.5 liter 4 cylinder engines with turbo - geez why not just put in a V6.

I don't like what the manufacturers are doing with new vehicles, all the start/stop stuff, smaller weaker engines and so much technology I'm afraid of things breaking.

I test drove a GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave and Toyota Highlander. I walked away feeling the exact same way with all 3 vehicles, they felt sluggish and underpowered for their weight even with a 3.6 liter V6. It was like driving a sluggish tank around. I think the Sienna/Odyssey/Pacific feel better to drive because they are not as heavy for their engines (more balanced). Just my take on things...

#182 3 years ago

I don't like what the manufacturers are doing with new vehicles, all the start/stop stuff, smaller weaker engines and so much technology I'm afraid of things breaking.

It's all a stopgap until almost everything (everything?) is electric. Kind of like when cars sucked REAL BAD in the late 1970's into the early 80's because they were just starting to deal with EPA regulations and didn't have good tech in place to meet the goals. It all smoothed out in the late 1980's into the 1990s, and we're just now hitting another wall on tech/fuel economy for gas engines, one I don't think they'll get past. So, electric motors make the most sense moving forward - they're win/win for everyone except dealer service departments since they need almost no maintenance. First we'll have more hybrids, then transition to all electrics. Some strong improvements in battery tech are just about to hit the mainstream that will take it all to the next level and leave L-ion behind.

#183 3 years ago

I got my Sienna today!

XLE Premium

20180430_202423 (resized).jpg

#184 3 years ago

I got my Sienna today!
    XLE Premium

Out the door price?

#185 3 years ago

I got my Sienna today!
    XLE Premium

Same color as my 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport. Nice

#186 3 years ago

Please give us the fine details on why you went that way . What does it take to haul pin's , as in stow-n-go - seats come out ?

#187 3 years ago

I got my Sienna today!
    XLE Premium

You made the right choice.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

Please give us the fine details on why you went that way . What does it take to haul pin's , as in stow-n-go - seats come out ?

We already have a 2010 Sienna and have had very few problems with it in 8 years. The 2018 looks to be about the same size. We purchased an XLE Premium which has all of the features Toyota offers on the Sienna - all the tech, heated seats, leather, blu ray screen for the kids, navigation, the list goes on and on. The limited and SE I believe is all cosmetic differences, nothing functional that I could tell so the XLE Premium was a better fit for us.

You have to remove the middle row of seats and take them out of the van completely, same as my 2010. I could fit 2 pins easily into this van. Chryslers stow and go is cool, but the one thing I noticed is that to do that they had to make the seats smaller, thinner and they just looked cheaper to me, they were not as comfortable to sit in, just my opinion.

The decision to go with Toyota came down to reliability. Any vehicle can have problems, no company is immune but I think I have the best chance of this van lasting long term with a Toyota.

I ended up getting the van for $37K, the MSRP was $42K. Whether or not that's a good deal who knows. The van is for my wife, if I was buying it for me I would have just went with the cheaper LE with cloth seats. My wife wanted the leather and heated seats. I hate paying this much for a vehicle, but the bottom line is we need good, reliable transportation with a family and vacations (and pinball).

6 years ago we bought a nearly 3 year old used 2010 Sienna that had 42K miles on it. I paid $24K for it at the time and a new one would have been around $30K. I wished I would have just purchased a new one, saving $6K doesn't seem worth it now to me to get a vehicle that someone has been drive for 3 solid years and put 42K miles on it. That's why we went new this time, just my 2 cents.

#189 3 years ago

Nice van. Payments would be a little high for my comfort but for a family vehicle and pin hauler it's perfect and hopefully will last a very long time.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Nice van. Payments would be a little high for my comfort but for a family vehicle and pin hauler it's perfect and hopefully will last a very long time.

I used the 5k from selling my camry plus extra $$$ as a down payment so my monthly payments are pretty good, around $400. Most new vehicles are at least 30k or more, even mid size suvs, can't really get around the cost of them.

#191 3 years ago

Most new vehicles are at least 30k or more, even mid size suvs, can't really get around the cost of them.

Agreed. I really want a new Tahoe but I know I'll never get one Just for fun a built a Yukon Denali XL on GM's website and with options it came to $87k!

#192 3 years ago

I think the deal is good.

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Agreed. I really want a new Tahoe but I know I'll never get one Just for fun a built a Yukon Denali XL on GM's website and with options it came to $87k!

Oh wow that's expensive. I know even the sienna can get close to 50k, but it's mostly cosmetic stuff above the XLE Premium that I got. I seriously considered a 2018 Chevy Traverse. Those are very expensive too and will cost a little more in gas so I decided against it. What a beautiful looking vehicle though.

#194 3 years ago

I ended up getting the van for $37K, the MSRP was $42K. Whether or not that's a good deal who knows. The van is for my wife, if I was buying it for me I would have just went with the cheaper LE with cloth seats. My wife wanted the leather and heated seats. I hate paying this much for a vehicle, but the bottom line is we need good, reliable transportation with a family and vacations (and pinball).

Best deal I ever got was on a new Odyssey right after the crash of 2008. NO ONE was selling anything and they were desperate to get rid of inventory after months of no sales. We got a loaded $38k Odyssey for $27k out the door with tax, license and everything. I'll likely never get a deal that good again.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Best deal I ever got was on a new Odyssey right after the crash of 2008. NO ONE was selling anything and they were desperate to get rid of inventory after months of no sales. We got a loaded $38k Odyssey for $27k out the door with tax, license and everything. I'll likely never get a deal that good again.

That was a good time to buy, especially if you could just walk in and pay for the vehicle without having to do a loan.

#196 3 years ago

Oh wow that's expensive. I know even the sienna can get close to 50k, but it's mostly cosmetic stuff above the XLE Premium that I got. I seriously considered a 2018 Chevy Traverse. Those are very expensive too and will cost a little more in gas so I decided against it. What a beautiful looking vehicle though.

Vans are a tremendous value. They offer more practical utility than any other vehicle I can think of, do well in MPG, are capable to tow moderate loads, and are the best pin and family haulers available. The only reason to get an SUV is if you do a lot of heavy hauling, or you just can't get over the van stigma.

I'm glad you got what you wanted for what looks to be a pretty good price!

#197 3 years ago

Vans are a tremendous value. They offer more practical utility than any other vehicle I can think of, do well in MPG, are capable to tow moderate loads, and are the best pin and family haulers available. The only reason to get an SUV is if you do a lot of heavy hauling, or you just can't get over the van stigma.

Also, four wheel drive and sporty looks are reasons people get SUVs.

#198 3 years ago

Vans are a tremendous value. They offer more practical utility than any other vehicle I can think of, do well in MPG, are capable to tow moderate loads, and are the best pin and family haulers available.

I tell people this all the time and they probably think I'm nuts. But hey, I'm a 48 year old married dad. I'm no longer sporty and driving something else isn't going to fool anyone other than myself. The advantages over a truck or SUV: Better gas mileage, lower initial cost, lower property taxes, lower insurance, cheaper tires. They handle fine in bad weather and snow even without 4WD. You have a lower lift height when loading and unloading pins. I can carry two pins and more with no worries about rain or them getting messed with. Pinball is my business and a van fits my needs for my family and business better than anything I can imagine.

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I tell people this all the time and they probably think I'm nuts. But hey, I'm a 48 year old married dad. I'm no longer sporty and driving something else isn't going to fool anyone other than myself. The advantages over a truck or SUV: Better gas mileage, lower initial cost, lower property taxes, lower insurance, cheaper tires. They handle fine in bad weather and snow even without 4WD. You have a lower lift height when loading and unloading pins. I can carry two pins and more with no worries about rain or them getting messed with. Pinball is my business and a van fits my needs for my family and business better than anything I can imagine.

I have a relative that thinks it's funny I buy minivans. Meanwhile, his 8 year old Buick Enclave gets crap MPG, is sluggish when accelerating or passing (I've test drove plenty of them) and has much less room than my van. It also has larger and more expensive tires. The cost of his new was a lot more than my van and the cost of it used (he bought it when it was 6 years old) was more expensive than a minivan of the same year. This go around I really tried to find an SUV instead of a minivan just to see if anything was comparable - nothing was. My kids will be grown up and out of the house and I'll still be driving a minivan. People can keep their large SUVs, I'll stick with my minivan. Even the Toyota Highlander felt sluggish to me when accelerating or passing, it's heavy and has less room than the Sienna.

Some SUVs are better for towing if that's what you need, I understand that (not the small ones). Both my Siennas can tow up to 3500 lbs, I've been towing my boat for 6 years with our 2010 Sienna. There could be specific reasons you need a large SUV and that's fine (4WD and towing).

Put a good set of snow tires on in the winter and you don't need AWD.

#200 3 years ago

I have a 2004 Sienna with 173k miles. Got routine maintenance and never had a problem with it. Fantastic value and a participant in numerous amazing roadtrips. We keep it around now mostly for when the kid is home from college and because sometimes I will use it to move a pin, as it's easier to load than my Mazda. For example, I used it to take C37 to MGC.

Speaking of MGC, shortly after the show, I could no longer find my favorite pinball tool.
    wrench (resized).JPG

Tore the house apart to no avail. The wrench had inexplicably disappeared. Just gone. Finally, after a couple weeks, I gave up and ordered a replacement.

It's finally warm again is Wisconsin and so I decide to stop slacking and move the seat back into the van from the garage. Guess what is sitting in the back of the Sienna? Yup, my Pinside Secret Santa tool bag... containing the stupid lost wrench. As soon as I opening the door, realization struck and it just sat their mocking me. Have you ever been mocked by an inanimate object? Not recommended.

IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg

I blame Toyota. Take your van back and get the Honda.

On the bright side... More tools!

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside