Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by statictrance
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one would you buy?”

• 2018 Honday Odyssey 44 votes
      56%
    • 2018 Toyota Sienna 35 votes
      44%

(79 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180730_121404 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458 (resized).jpg
    20160609_143826 (resized).jpg
    20180530_200458123123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1809 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084930959 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180519_084941326 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1526175279857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180501_184642 (resized).jpg
    wrench (resized).JPG
    20180430_202423 (resized).jpg
    2008 Toyota Solara left side (resized).jpg
    camry emblems (resized).jpg

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 3 years ago

Wow, so what eliminated the Honda, a timing belt? All Chrysler vehicles have disposable transmissions on them, no not to repair - to replace them outright. Every person I know who had a Chrysler ( van , car, jeep, whatever ) had the trans fail between 50-75k, not to mention poor body integrity, rust ect ect. You've heard it here from others about the little things piling up for repairs on Toyotas. Lots of recalls too. While the Honda may not be perfect, its way better than any Chrysler, forget about a Kia - total crap. Resale value is a joke on anything but the Honda and or Toyota. The reason the parts, not engine or trans fail on Toyotas is because they got to the lowest possible bidder for cheap parts that bolt on their cars, all of Honda parts are the same high quality as the eng/trans so they last longer. Owned Hondas for 25+ years but also was looking for something else expecting it to last 300k and bought a new Subaru but they don't make a van. Read Consumer Reports and see how the makes you are looking at stack up.

#102 3 years ago

Stop/start. It’s coming to a car near you. Soon. It will be everywhere. It is driven by the gas mileage regulations. It theoretically can provide a minuscule improvement in your overall mpg. IF your driving conditions are just right. Otherwise, probably won’t improve mpg at all. By shutting the engine off when you stop at a stoplight. And then restarting it when you step on the gas. Therefore repeatedly subjecting the engine to the single most strenuous and life-reducing thing it can possibly do. And adding a potentially dangerous situation for you if it doesn’t restart quickly enough to get you going when you need to. And adding high levels of extra wear and tear on your battery. Requiring an extra heavy duty battery. Which will be more expensive to replace. And probably will fail earlier. Or possibly even a second battery. Which adds weight (ironically reducing gas mileage) and adds more future maintenance costs.

A useless dumbass invention by dumbasses.

PS. Adds stress to the starter as well, requiring a special starter that costs more and probably will fail earlier.

#103 3 years ago

Chrysler doesn't bother with their own trannys on most models now, I'm pretty sure - they turned that over to ZF, who is very reputable.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mark66:

Wow, so what eliminated the Honda, a timing belt? All Chrysler vehicles have disposable transmissions on them, no not to repair - to replace them outright. Every person I know who had a Chrysler ( van , car, jeep, whatever ) had the trans fail between 50-75k, not to mention poor body integrity, rust ect ect. You've heard it here from others about the little things piling up for repairs on Toyotas. Lots of recalls too. While the Honda may not be perfect, its way better than any Chrysler, forget about a Kia - total crap. Resale value is a joke on anything but the Honda and or Toyota. The reason the parts, not engine or trans fail on Toyotas is because they got to the lowest possible bidder for cheap parts that bolt on their cars, all of Honda parts are the same high quality as the eng/trans so they last longer. Owned Hondas for 25+ years but also was looking for something else expecting it to last 300k and bought a new Subaru but they don't make a van. Read Consumer Reports and see how the makes you are looking at stack up.

I've been reading quite a bit today online. It seems like when you have a problem with your vehicle Honda might be a little more difficult to deal with overall, that's the general sense I got. You say Chrysler transmissions fail early? The first thing they told me at the Honda dealership is that the 9 speed tranny is the exact same in the 2018 Honday Odyssey and the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. I do agree on the body integrity, at least with older models of Dodge vehicles. Not sure about newer stuff, you'd think that would be ironed out by now. My Toyotas have never rusted at all, they look perfect. My Toyotas have never had anything major like the engine or transmission fail, those have been solid. But I have had a lot of little stuff needing to be fixed.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mark66:

all of Honda parts are the same high quality as the eng/trans so they last longer.

This is not true anymore. 2000 Honda? Yes. Now? No.

Lots of finish issues. The handles are plastic on the doors and the paint starts to rub off on the driver's side from use after about 5-6 years. The oil consumption issue. The widespread A/C relay problem (We've had two blow now. It's a $4 part, but a PITA when it happens. I carry one in my glove box for the next time because this issue kills your battery, too). Everyone's cutting corners now. It's just that Honda's standard was so high, they're still pretty good. But they're nowhere close to where they used to be for quality and reliability.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Chrysler doesn't bother with their own trannys on most models now, I'm pretty sure - they turned that over to ZF, who is very reputable.

That 2018 Odyssey has the same engine & ZF transmission as my 2016 TLX.
    I *HATE* that ZF 9-spd transmission!

My 2008 accord was excellent, never had any problems with ~130K miles. No oil consumption, no paint issues, no A/C relay issues. Only problem I had with it is that it couldn't swim.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Only problem I had with it is that it couldn't swim.

That sounds like a BIG problem. When/how did you discover that?

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

It seems like when you have a problem with your vehicle Honda might be a little more difficult to deal with overall, that's the general sense I got

I would look at reviews of the local dealers in your area and see who rises to the top for service. Like I said before, these days it's almost impossible to buy a brand new lemon. No matter what you choose, tou want to make sure the service you get is top notch and experienced.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I've owned 2 Honda Odysseys. Both Touring. Over 100K miles each.
    For the most part they are pretty reliable but....
    The service guys at the Honda dealership are absolute a-holes and liars.
    The 2015 i had made a weird knocking sound whenever i turned sharp at low speeds.
    They claimed to never be able to hear it or acknowledge anything out of the ordinary at all. That started almost immediately after i bought it.
    Secondly, i was going through brakes like crazy. It was getting scary trying to slow down going downhill, shaking really badly.
    Constantly needing the rotors worked on. Like every other month i'd be in there.
    THEY BLAMED ME! SAYING IT WAS MY DRIVING HABITS!!
    I finally took it to a mechanic in town and he took one look and said, THE BRAKES ARE TOO SMALL FOR A VEHICLE THAT HEAVY.
    He ordered larger brakes. The new brakes WORKED PERFECTLY for years.

If your brakes are repeatedly having problems with shaking / pulsating, it probably is your driving habits. This problem occurs due to brake pad deposits on the rotors. That happens when you stop from highway speeds and then keep your foot on the brakes like at a stop light. Does this scenario sound like part of your normal driving routine? To prevent pad deposits, when you stop from highway speeds you should not let the vehicle sit stopped in one position. Let it roll just a couple inches and then stop again. Repeat this until the light turns green, never letting it sit in one spot for more than a second or two.

I also think your mechanic may have pulled a fast one on you. You can't just "order larger brakes" for a Honda Odyssey. The brakes are the same size for all versions of a particular model year of Odyssey, so you can't just order the brakes for a higher end model. So called "Big Brake Kits" are available for many popular high performance cars but the Honda Minivan is not a high performance car and no-one would market a big brake kit for it.

To fix your specific problem, my guess is the mechanic probably just put on a cheap set of pads. A knowledgeable mechanic will know that cheap aftermarket pads have very hard friction material which is less likely to cause deposits on the rotors. They also don't have as much "bite" as the OEM Honda pads. You may or may not notice this difference in braking - unless you get on the brakes very hard, you probably can't tell the difference. So it might be a reasonable trade off. Other benefits of the cheap pads is they tend to produce less dust than the OEM pads and wear at a much slower rate. The only downside is that for absolute maximum braking ( think emergency stop) the cheap pads will not stop the car as quickly. This is due to the reduction of the coefficient of friction of the pads plus the imbalance it causes front to rear in the braking system.

I hope the mechanic did not charge you a bunch of cash for supposedly putting larger brakes on your car. If he did, you were most likely ripped off.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mark66:

I've had 7 Chrysler vans, all purchased new and only 1 with a trans problem and it was still under warranty. Along with the Pacifica, I still have my 2003 AWD Town and Country with 142,000 miles and NEVER had any trans problems so, speaking from experience, I'll have to call fake news. My buddy had to put a trans in his Odyssey @ 38K mi. and I had to put a trans in my Benz @ 76K mi. (both under warranty), so none are perfect, none. But full disclosure, I don't go for 300K on my vehicles either

#111 3 years ago
    #112 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That sounds like a BIG problem. When/how did you discover that?

Pretty much this:

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from waltrr:

I've had 7 Chrysler vans, all purchased new and only 1 with a trans problem and it was still under warranty. Along with the Pacifica, I still have my 2003 AWD Town and Country with 142,000 miles and NEVER had any trans problems so, speaking from experience, I'll have to call fake news. My buddy had to put a trans in his Odyssey @ 38K mi. and I had to put a trans in my Benz @ 76K mi. (both under warranty), so none are perfect, none. But full disclosure, I don't go for 300K on my vehicles either

Do you have a 17 or 18 Pacifica?

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

It sounds like your experience with Toyota is very similar to mine, and a lot of people I know. Major problems? No, not really... Inexpensive problems? No not really.... I feel like anything over $300 is an above average cost for a low mileage vehicle. I get replacing brakes, tires, etc.... I don't understand spending $800 on a PCV valve (guessing that is what you had replaced) because of $775 of labor to take the top half of the engine off to get to it.
    I am sort of surprised you are still considering a Sienna given your recent track history with them.
    Edit... the o2 sensor set me back $700... I replaced the PCV myself....

I was initially very unimpressed with our 2007 Sienna. I loved driving it, but we had some medium range repairs that had to be made. Now that it's at 210,000 I can't really complain. Still has the original exhaust system and O2 sensor, had to have some minor tune-up at around 170,000, piping running through radiator corroded and had to be replaced, and we had to make the electirc door manual cuz I wasn't going to pay to replace the door motor which died at about 170,000. My wife thought we should have gotten rid of it at around 160,000, but as far as I'm concerned it's making me money at this point. Unfortunately, the transmission is getting sloppy and I'm not sure how much it has left in it. Overall, I'd say the Sienna's as good a gamble as you're going to take.

#115 3 years ago

Do you have a 17 or 18 Pacifica?

A 2017 purchased June of 2016

#116 3 years ago

2017 Honda Pilot ... has the start/stop engine feature. Sucks. Totally sucks. It can be disabled but have to push button everytime. It has too many nanny features. The blind spot detectors, lane change pulling, auto braking if sense other cars, etc....it’s too damn much. In fact, that stuff makes it more dangerous when stuff happens and distracts me. I work in healthcare and driving a car now feels like walking down the hall of an ICU. Beeps and blips everywhere for everything.

In years past, engineers designed cars based on physics and laws of science. You know, things that are universal and unchangeable? But when Federal Gov enacted higher mpg requirement laws, now automakers are trying to cheat the laws of nature with gimmicks. Start/stop, 9 plus gear transmissions, etc. all that stuff won’t make a big difference and in fact will cause consumers to spend more in the end. Restarting an engine is one of the hardest things on the complete car system. All those electronic gadgets are just gremlins lying in wait. And those won’t be cheap fixes because of the computers running them. Disable them? Then the insurance company won’t pay a claim, and may in fact come back after you for not having those safety features operating properly.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

2017 Honda Pilot ... has the start/stop engine feature. Sucks. Totally sucks. It can be disabled but have to push button everytime. It has too many nanny features. The blind spot detectors, lane change pulling, auto braking if sense other cars, etc....it’s too damn much. In fact, that stuff makes it more dangerous when stuff happens and distracts me. I work in healthcare and driving a car now feels like walking down the hall of an ICU. Beeps and blips everywhere for everything.
    In years past, engineers designed cars based on physics and laws of science. You know, things that are universal and unchangeable? But when Federal Gov enacted higher mpg requirement laws, now automakers are trying to cheat the laws of nature with gimmicks. Start/stop, 9 plus gear transmissions, etc. all that stuff won’t make a big difference and in fact will cause consumers to spend more in the end. Restarting an engine is one of the hardest things on the complete car system. All those electronic gadgets are just gremlins lying in wait. And those won’t be cheap fixes because of the computers running them. Disable them? Then the insurance company won’t pay a claim, and may in fact come back after you for not having those safety features operating properly.

Absolutely great points that many people are not aware of these days. This is not a 2017 Honda Pilot thing, this is everywhere now. All of the things you mention are why I have held back from buying a new car, in my case I am looking at a Highlander, but all the same things apply. Another thing you didn't mention are the gremlin-like behaviors of these systems. Such as, slamming on the brakes even though there is nothing there, sounding warnings again when nothing is there, etc. These are supposed to be things to improve safety, but they also can be downright dangerous. I know personally of one person whose (almost brand new) car unexpectedly simply shut down in the middle a freeway trip, the reason later determined to be "computer failure". The start/stop thing and the 8-9 gear transmissions are used to eke out minuscule improvements in mpg, hardly worth all of the extra cost and maintenance. This is a bad direction all of the car makers are going in. Seat belts, anti-lock brakes, air bags, these were improvements that were well worth the return on investment. An expensive radar system with a computer tied to the brakes to stop the car because you are looking down at your phone and not paying attention is a waste. With all of the sensors in the bumpers now even if you just get involved in a small tap it is going to thousands to replace a bumper instead of hundreds. A lot of people don't know about the emblem on the front of their car, I first found out about it while researching the Toyota Highlander. If you have adaptive cruise control, they use a "special" see-through emblem. If you break it, it costs $500 to $1000. Versus $50 for the usual plastic piece.

camry emblems (resized).jpg

The old way worked pretty darn good if you just put a little effort in it. Watch where you are going, leave a gap, take it easy and don't speed, and drive defensively while watching out for idiots. Add in staying off the phone and you are good to go.

#118 3 years ago

I am pleased to say my 2001 Tacoma with no antilock brakes or asshole detection systems has made it thru another day and I arrived safely at work today.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Another thing you didn't mention are the gremlin-like behaviors of these systems. Such as, slamming on the brakes even though there is nothing there, sounding warnings again when nothing is there, etc. These are supposed to be things to improve safety, but they also can be downright dangerous.

Yep - had that happen to me... twice. Both times on the interstate.
    First time - we were on a curve going to the right, radar saw the car in left lane slightly in front of me and thought I was headed for him. Slammed on the brakes. Thankfully nobody behind me.
    Second time - exiting to the right and saw the exit sign. Apparently thought I was going to hit the sign and slammed on the brakes. Again, thankful there was nobody in front of me.
    Took it into dealer - they turned the radar distance way down. Hasn't done that since.

#120 3 years ago

I've been reading quite a bit today online. It seems like when you have a problem with your vehicle Honda might be a little more difficult to deal with overall, that's the general sense I got. You say Chrysler transmissions fail early? The first thing they told me at the Honda dealership is that the 9 speed tranny is the exact same in the 2018 Honday Odyssey and the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. I do agree on the body integrity, at least with older models of Dodge vehicles. Not sure about newer stuff, you'd think that would be ironed out by now. My Toyotas have never rusted at all, they look perfect. My Toyotas have never had anything major like the engine or transmission fail, those have been solid. But I have had a lot of little stuff needing to be fixed.

Get the Toyota. I was talking to the Toyota mechanic at the dealership in my town. They sell Mopar and Toyota only. They have 1 Toyota mechanic and 4 Mopar mechanics. What does that tell you.

#121 3 years ago

It took a while but I found a great local mechanic who does good work at decent rates and is honest. He always says this: “Buy a Toyota. You’ll never see me”.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It took a while but I found a great local mechanic who does good work at decent rates and is honest. He always says this: “Buy a Toyota. You’ll never see me”.

Then you will be able to afford filtered alkaline water and a good massage.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

They sell Mopar and Toyota only. They have 1 Toyota mechanic and 4 Mopar mechanics

They sell 4x as many Mopar?

#124 3 years ago

I don't believe Chrysler's sales are anywhere near Toyota's sales, including minivans.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't believe Chrysler's sales are anywhere near Toyota's sales, including minivans.

Actually the pacifica is outselling both the sienna and odyssey.

#126 3 years ago

No.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then you will be able to afford filtered alkaline water and a good massage.

Haha who would even get that joke? Are other places like here? I drove through HB this morning and probably passed 5 alkaline water stores and massage parlors. And pho places every three feet.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Haha who would even get that joke?

The same people that would listen to and take the advice of somebody that has been in the automotive business for over 35 years... nobody.

#129 3 years ago

But I'll leave it at this.

In five years when you go to sell your Toyota, if you decide to do so, you are going to get way more for it than your Chrysler junk. And you will have people lining up to buy it.

#130 3 years ago

Heres my record of new cars since 1994. Wife got 1994 Chrysler LHS. After 6 years died in garage from ECM failure. 8 years had porous leak in transmission case and the paint was peeling off the car. I bought a Mazda B4000 actually a Ford ranger truck. Slave cylinder that was plastic went out at 13000 miles. Lucky I'm a mechanic so I could fix it myself. Bought a 1999 ford truck for myself. It still runs but massive amounts of electrical bugs in that thing. Air conditioner leaks Freon out yearly. Wife traded in Chrysler for 2002 Lexus ES300. Had it for 12 years . Never a problem one. I have a 2010 Toyota Sequoia .No problems whatsoever. Son has 2007 Toyota Corolla. No problems. I bought him a 1996 Camry before that .At 189000 miles it still runs perfect . I had to change the front struts only. You can see why I'm pretty impressed with Toyota for obvious reasons. All I do with my 4 Toyotas is change filters tires filters and oil. Also I was a certified ASE mechanic for years.

#131 3 years ago

Actually the pacifica is outselling both the sienna and odyssey.

I am surprised the numbers are really close. I wonder if the Chrysler numbers are counting rental car company purchases. I believe that is much greater for Chrysler than Toyota. I don't see very many Toyota's as rental cars.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/02/minivan-sales-america-january-2018/

#132 3 years ago

I'm going to add one more little tidbit.

In 35 years of auto repair and service, I can't remember if I ever replaced a radiator or coolant hose on a Toyota. My 2001 Tacoma with almost 200,000 miles still has all it's original hoses and they are still holding up just fine.

The Chrysler minivans we get in for inspection almost always have the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner cracked and falling apart after just a few years and they fail and have to go get a new one.

#133 3 years ago

So my wife doesn't really want another van. I am a big fan of vans, and I don't give a crap about the stigma with them. I'm not sure why she doesn't want one, but ultimately I will most likely still get another one because every time she has more than a few kids to transport or we go on a trip guess what she's asking to drive... the Sienna. If she still seems really bummed out about the idea I know I can get her onboard with a Toyota Highlander. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Toyota at this point. We've owned 2 Corollas which were problem free, a Camry and our Sienna. Honestly the Camry was a huge disappointment. A/C was out and most likely a $2,000 repair at the dealership, I decided to sell it so I got 5k out of it. It only had 98,000 miles and had the radiator and water pump replaced. I'm really ticked off about the A/C and how costly it could be because they would probably have to rip out the entire dash inside to get at it. I would say the engine/trans seemed to be just fine when I sold it.

#134 3 years ago

So my wife doesn't really want another van. I am a big fan of vans, and I don't give a crap about the stigma with them. I'm not sure why she doesn't want one, but ultimately I will most likely still get another one because every time she has more than a few kids to transport or we go on a trip guess what she's asking to drive... the Sienna. If she still seems really bummed out about the idea I know I can get her onboard with a Toyota Highlander. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Toyota at this point. We've owned 2 Corollas which were problem free, a Camry and our Sienna. Honestly the Camry was a huge disappointment. A/C was out and most likely a $2,000 repair at the dealership, I decided to sell it so I got 5k out of it. It only had 98,000 miles and had the radiator and water pump replaced. I'm really ticked off about the A/C and how costly it could be because they would probably have to rip out the entire dash inside to get at it. I would say the engine/trans seemed to be just fine when I sold it.

Get an Explorer instead.

#135 3 years ago

Honestly having owned a 2015 Sienna and now a 2018 Odyssey I can honestly say they both suck as they are mini vans. I try hard as hell not to drive my odyssey. Currently in heated discussions with the big fan of the mini van in the house to trade it in for a Suburban or Denali XL. The good news is she is starting to crack.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Have you thought about an SUV?

I did mention the Highlander in my post. That would be the logical choice if my wife can't get onboard with a van.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Honestly having owned a 2015 Sienna and now a 2018 Odyssey I can honestly say they both suck as they are mini vans. I try hard as hell not to drive my odyssey. Currently in heated discussions with the big fan of the mini van in the house to trade it in for a Suburban or Denali XL. The good news is she is starting to crack.

Take her for a test drive in a Denali XL and she shouldn't have any issue getting rid of the minivan!

#138 3 years ago

I did mention the Highlander in my post. That would be the logical choice if my wife can't get onboard with a van.

Yeah. Sorry I jumped the gun after reading the first part about not wanting a van. I have always liked Explorers and I also like the looks of the newer Highlanders.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm going to add one more little tidbit.
    In 35 years of auto repair and service, I can't remember if I ever replaced a radiator or coolant hose on a Toyota. My 2001 Tacoma with almost 200,000 miles still has all it's original hoses and they are still holding up just fine.
    The Chrysler minivans we get in for inspection almost always have the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner cracked and falling apart after just a few years and they fail and have to go get a new one.

My radiator and hoses had to be replaced in the Camry at around 6 years old. Also the water pump. Sounds like you live where there is no salt/chemicals dumped on the roads. They destroy vehicles, no matter the brand.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Yeah. Sorry I jumped the gun after reading the first part about not wanting a van. I have always liked Explorers and I also like the looks of the newer Highlanders.

Ford lost me after our 2006 Escape we had many years ago. It was leaking oil in every place imaginable, probably burning it also, I was dumping in a quart a week. The coil packs kept going bad and you couldn't rev the engine too hard as it was not even mounted properly.

#141 3 years ago

I had a Durango R/T because I tried to resist the van. When we got to 3 kids we were glad to have the van. I used the Durango with the kids for a while, but actually find them easier to load into a sedan than the Durango. I liked the Durango, but it's nowhere near as convenient, ESPECIALLY with pinball. Not only can you hold more than 1 in a van, but the load height of a van makes all the difference in the world.

#142 3 years ago

My radiator and hoses had to be replaced in the Camry at around 6 years old. Also the water pump. Sounds like you live where there is no salt/chemicals dumped on the roads. They destroy vehicles, no matter the brand.

That is something that did cross my mind. Some vehicles may be more prone to cold weather and salt damage than others.

I can only go by where I am at, which we have neither of those and Toyotas tend to outlast them all.

#143 3 years ago

I'll have to see about the space difference with the Highlander vs the Sienna. I would rather get a Sienna, the Highlanders look to be more expensive and I just don't see the benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2018 Highlander has that Start/Stop technology which I want to avoid.

#144 3 years ago

I'm more of a Ford guy.

#145 3 years ago

I'll have to see about the space difference with the Highlander vs the Sienna. I would rather get a Sienna, the Highlanders look to be more expensive and I just don't see the benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2018 Highlander has that Start/Stop technology which I want to avoid.

#146 3 years ago

Yes, start/stop on 2018 Highlander. It can be disabled with a push button each time you start the car. It really will be difficult to avoid the start/stop thing no matter what brand and model you look at, it is coming everywhere as I said. I would be satisfied if I can quickly hit a button and disable it. Some people consider this a major issue but that is fine for me. Now if there were no button and no way to turn it off, that would be really annoying.

I do like the Highlander, I have a 2012 and it has been great. I have hauled EM pins in it a few times with no problem. It’s great for road trips. Problem is my wife stole it from me so I need another one.

Edit... yes the mod as posted by DCFAN is an option too. Some over at the Toyotanation forum have put that in.

#147 3 years ago

If moneys no problem you could get a Sequoia. Has tons of room . Great power with the 5.7 V8. Independent suspension on all 4 wheels. Very small turning circle. I love it. Only problem is they haven't changed it in 10 years.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

If moneys no problem you could get a Sequoia. Has tons of room . Great power with the 5.7 V8. Independent suspension on all 4 wheels. Very small turning circle. I love it. Only problem is they haven't changed it in 10 years.

The fuel economy is pretty bad on those, probably too big for us.

#149 3 years ago

Ford lost me after our 2006 Escape we had many years ago. It was leaking oil in every place imaginable, probably burning it also, I was dumping in a quart a week. The coil packs kept going bad and you couldn't rev the engine too hard as it was not even mounted properly.

Ford is a MESS in the digital age. Their Microsoft in-car system in their newer cars was so broken they actually forced it to reboot every night because they couldn't clean up the memory leaks that kept causing it to crash while driving and doing weird things randomly during the day like maxing out your stereo volume or turning your heat on full blast by itself as a result. They eventually changed vendors to BLACKBERRY to get away from Microsoft. A blast from the past.

I would never have another Ford. Period.

#150 3 years ago

The fuel economy is pretty bad on those, probably too big for us.

You are right about that. I have to have the family truckster cause I pull a boat and travel trailer

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside