(Topic ID: 185260)

2017. The beginning of the end for Stern...April 1st is over.

By Luckydogg420

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170402-115620 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170402-124358 (resized).png
    IMG_2753 (resized).JPG
    idiocracy-poster (resized).jpg
    cdfdjr (resized).jpg
    stay_on_topic (resized).jpg
    stranger-danger-657454 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
    talk-radio-wincott (resized).jpg
    1295783 (resized).jpg
    Stewart (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20170331-153314 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    th (resized).jpg
    4288380 (resized).jpg
    Shiny_Toy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 7 years ago

Unfortunately, until someone else can offer an full featured game at 5000, then we are not going to see real competition. They also need to make them at a reaosnable pace.

EVERYONE else is still going after collector market.

I think we are at the start of some big things and it is more a multiple blows sort of situation that may cause Stern to ramp up quality and bring down prices.

I know if I were Stern, I would be killing the competition right now by selling full featured PRO models with better quality (they dont want to put out shit, but it is obvious that bean counting hurt them with some recent titles) and lower the price to 4500. It is obvious they can sell for that and after the slow price inflation the past few years it is the perfect way to control perception.

Current other players:
    Spooky >> the boutique market but does not appear they ever want to grow to a beyond 1000 game per title run. They are a hit to Stern but a different market focus. Still hurt them and cause reaction, but not much due to scale.

Heighway >> obviously delivering on scale is their current hurdle. If they get to 100 games a month then they are a big deal and major player. They seem to be addressing things and planning big. If we see them with blockbusters like Aliens and a reasonable pace of production, then they will cause motion.

American Pinball >> too soo to be known entity, but thus far have proven the ability to make stuff happen quickly. It will be a while till we see what really comes of Houdini and their ability to make quality and scalability to many machines. That said, given the background they are a major player but impact is a few years out.

Homepin >> obviously also taking the Heighway approach of building for the long term and future. When they really get moving they will be a force and could also provide a pricepoint in the PRO market or better to force market.

JJP >> still marketing to the collector and pushing forward the full featured games which is great. I hope they have a blockbuster title around the bend to really get them to the next level. Again another major player, but not making impacts due to price/ market they are looking for. WOuld love to see a full featured game at JJP level for 6500 or under. I think then they start taking market. People can do the mental gymnastics to gor from a 5100 Stern PRO to a full featured JJP at 6500 pretty easily (similar to what people are doing already for Alien/ heighway)

Interesting times and let's be honest... without GB being a great selling theme things would have likely needed change quicker. Stern should be thanking their choices on that one as it likely saved them at the perfect time.

Most choices I have ever seen and possibly the most options to buy new games ever?

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

If AFMr was $4500, Stern would be concerned.
    rd

even 5500 (like it could have been) and they would be very concerned

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

If you really want to know who should be quaking in their boots, it's JJP. There, now let the down votes commence...
    CGC is more a direct competitor to JJP than Stern. JJP and CGC are putting out games at the same frequency, they're targeting the Premium end of the market who are looking for Bally / William 'style' games. And CGC coming in cheaper than JJP. And CGC does not need to pay game designers like JJP does.

lol. CGC is targeting people willing to over pay for inferior quality/design for nostalgia titles because they are largely incapable of working on or restoring an original. How many remakes are even feasible in your mind. They dont own capcom rights so you are limited to Bally/Williams titles. AFM was the easiest to design and build and cheapest by far based on work previously done, assembly, etc... After possibly MB and CCC they are done. CGC is the closest product to Stern by far.

JJP is a completely different market. They are building new titles, pushing innovation in pinball, taking risks with cool unliceinsed titles, and bring in back great talent along with developing new talent.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

They could sell a Star Wars LE for $6500, a Premium for $5500 and Pro for $4500 and still be profitable. There is nobody else that compete with that. I still think we've got another year or two before we'll start seeing moves like this but someday it will likely happen. I don't think we'll have too many years of $8-$10K pinball machines. Prices will come down as competition goes up.

if they are smart, they will do this NOW!!! If they sleep much longer on getting agressive with pricing, then others will have a solid foot hold (some already appear to and are planning for the future)

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

You must be kidding lets take a look
    2011 New Canasta game from MarsaPlay.
    2012 one off Retro Pinball's King of Diamonds
    announcement 2012 Predator
    Capt Nemo shipped 30 games 2017
    WOZ start shipping 2014
    TH ship 2016
    JPOP games ?
    TBL ??
    FT ships 2015
    Spooky builds AMH RZ PH TJ

???

In this year alone my options of games to buy include:

Woz, Hobbit, Dialed in
    Full Throttle, Aliens
    Rob zombie, Dominos, Jestons, Alice Cooper
    MMr, AFMr
    Houdini?
    Zombie Pitch and Bat

am I missing anything?

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Stern is 90%+ of the pinball market,
    Nuff Said!

I cant imagine they are even close to 90% of the market.

What are your numbers on this? Curious where it comes from.

In rough math the past 2 years we know 2000plus WoZ, 1000 plus Hobbit, 150 AMH, 250ish RZ, 1000 MMr, 200 FullT?, a couple various others. For simple math just say 4000 games to round down.

You think Stern is selling 40,000 games in the past 3 years even? I see NO WAY they are doing those numbers. Even antedotally, GB is their proclaimed best seller of recent and possibly best seller ever. There are only 262 pinside owners. 212 on route.
    In comparison WoZ has 867 pinside owners and 129 on route.
    Hobbit has 428/60

The math does not add up.

Stern might be 50% of total market now a days and that is being generous.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

AS BM66 GOT GB KISS MET Mustang Can Crusher SMve ST TWD WWE XMEN

and ther ONLY games in that list that more than a few would buy.

GoT
    GB
    Met
    SMve
    TWD

they are batting less than 50% and spend ALOT of time and energy putting out some duds. Toss on their the QC and pf issues and things have changed my firend.

They are seeing shrinking market share even if the market has been growing the past few years. The market only grows so far. That is when market share matters and those that have built for the lean times will make it.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Whysnow you cherry pick statistics Pinside splits up the pro and prem GB games so 759 GB pinside owners 428 Pinside TH owners neither number means a lot but at least it is accurate

sorry, I did not intend to bias the number. I forgot they split the games like that?

Do they not split Woz into the different versions also?

#89 7 years ago

I actually think there is a distinct possibility that we see two of the wmaller players merge into one company in the future.

I predict some things will change in the next few years and the companies that are agile and prepared will be the ones to survive.
    Keep in mind this is partially the model Stern and Spooky are already beta running.

Boutique games designed all or in part with other design people/teams that they then manufacturer.

I would not be surprised to see JJP and or Heighway push forward in this avenue as they get more scalable production lines and then need to overcome the next issue which is cycle time for development vs production.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I do not see DI being a major hit. Oh it might be popular with pinheads but we don't make "homeruns". In order to be a homerun game it has to be a big hit on location. I can't see DI ever being a big hit on route. Alien...yes. Theme is huge for location success....Alien has it, DI does not.

I think DI is going to do well on location.

non-licensed theme is still approachable to many and JJP games have shown to be route monsters in the past!

(I am still amazed how well Woz does o route, but it does... We have Hobbit on route and is does very well!)

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The last time I looked at serial numbers, Stern was doing around 5000 Stern games a year. CGC seems to be doing about 500 to 1000 a year. Heighway likely has done about 100 a year for the last two years. Spooky maybe around 250 a year. JJP has probably done about 3500 WOZ (from 2013 to now) and somewhere in the ballpark of 2000 Hobbit (over the last two years) which adds up to probably about 1000 to 2000 per year over the last two years.
    With those ballpark figures, Stern is likely in the 55 to 65% of the new pinball market range.

seems like some good numbers.

thanks for the summary

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, thanks for that completely made-up breakdown of numbers that probably has no actual relevance to reality.

serial numbers are public knowledge and you just have to pay attention.

Some go through the effort of cross referencing can # to pf # and have put int effort to get decent production numbers.

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

People say this about the build but I do not see the quality. Most of the time when I encounter a jjp game in the wild it is broken.
    Maybe I've just had a string of bad encounters and I'm sure people work out the kinks at home, but they've been broken or had big chunks of the art chipped off more often than not on route.

I think you are experiencing the wonders of JJP doing a great job marketing!

I have found lots of new to operating types that have JJP games they bought. That combined with thus far all JJP games do VERY well on route means lots of play combined with higher than average poor technician maintainence = you see down JJP games.

There are a lot of them out their is one off operator locations.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-stern?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.