(Topic ID: 185260)

2017. The beginning of the end for Stern...April 1st is over.

By Luckydogg420

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170402-115620 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170402-124358 (resized).png
    IMG_2753 (resized).JPG
    idiocracy-poster (resized).jpg
    cdfdjr (resized).jpg
    stay_on_topic (resized).jpg
    stranger-danger-657454 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
    talk-radio-wincott (resized).jpg
    1295783 (resized).jpg
    Stewart (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20170331-153314 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    th (resized).jpg
    4288380 (resized).jpg
    Shiny_Toy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john1210.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

With the recent release of AFMr from CGC, I think that the pinball producing world has changed. I think that this could be the start of competitive pricing and might lead way to the demise of Stern Pinball.
    For years Stern has been buying finished cabinets and Playfields from CGC and has been charging a mark up for them. Stern assembles the games in house and keeps raising the price to see how much the market will bare.
    With the development of MMr, CGC built the cabinets and playfields and paid Stern to assemble their games. Driving the cost up because you have 3 companies making profit off of one game. PPS, CGC and Stern.
    Now with the production of AFMr, CGC has decided to assemble the games in house. This game has a cheaper build because you now have one less company getting paid from the product. Stern has been left out of the profit this time around.
    But Stern still needs to purchase their playfields and cabinets from CGC, and they presumably charge a mark up on these parts to help with the bottom line. Making a profit off of CGC parts inside Sterns games. I also presume that CGC is making a profit off of the Playfield and cabinet to stay in business. Therefore a game built in house by CGC will always have the potential to cost less to manufacture. CGC will always charge Stern more for cabinets and playfields then it will cost them to make them.
    CGC controls the ability of Stern to make new games. If the Playfield line at CGC is running full speed creating new playfields for AFMr, will they also be producing playfields as quickly for Stern? Could this lead to delays in Stern's factory because they are waiting for shipments of playfields and cabinets from CGC?
    Unless Stern can begin producing their own cabinets and playfields then they will always be dependent on CGC to make new games, and they will always be charged a premium for these parts, an extra cost that they will need to pass on to the customer. CGC will have a manufacturing advantage over Stern because their not dependent on Stern to stay afloat, and their production cost will always be less then what they sell parts to Stern for.
    This could be the beginning of competitive pricing for new games and CGC has a clear advantage over Stern.

Catchy thread title, then I read the above and realised... there's 2 minutes of my life I won't be getting back.

#164 7 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Add the 2 minutes it took you to type your response and now you're up to 4 wasted minutes...

Reading it was a waste of time. My post made a point. Your point was????

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john1210.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-stern?tu=john1210 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.