(Topic ID: 185260)

2017. The beginning of the end for Stern...April 1st is over.

By Luckydogg420

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170402-115620 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170402-124358 (resized).png
    IMG_2753 (resized).JPG
    idiocracy-poster (resized).jpg
    cdfdjr (resized).jpg
    stay_on_topic (resized).jpg
    stranger-danger-657454 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
    talk-radio-wincott (resized).jpg
    1295783 (resized).jpg
    Stewart (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20170331-153314 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    th (resized).jpg
    4288380 (resized).jpg
    Shiny_Toy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Wow. So many down votes. I thought this would ruffle some feathers, but also thought that it was something worth discussing.

My feathers aren't ruffled at all. I just disagree with your premis.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I think that JJP is going to be ok if things contract. They've carved out a good share of the market. If Dialed In is a major hit, and the next game does well, they've managed to shift a lot of dollars and loyalty their way. That's a couple of big ifs, especially at their asking price, but they have done a great job at solidifying themselves.
    I think Spooky will stick around too. When the wait list for their games is double their production number, they're in a good spot. Add in the contract work that they do, I think it would be tough to run them out of the industry.
    The other companies...yeah, they're on more shaky ground.

I do not see DI being a major hit. Oh it might be popular with pinheads but we don't make "homeruns". In order to be a homerun game it has to be a big hit on location. I can't see DI ever being a big hit on route. Alien...yes. Theme is huge for location success....Alien has it, DI does not.

#145 7 years ago

I have not been seriously interested in a JJP game yet. I mean they are nice to look at and built like tanks but so far have not done much for me.

WOZ...meh, I understand it's very popular but it just never clicked with me.
    Hobbit....this one I actually like the best. Thought it was really fun to play. The problem.....to easy to be a home purchase (for me).
    DI - Okay I admit I'm a bit of a theme snob and this one does nothing for me. It's another game I hope one of my friends buy so I can play it from time to time. It looks like it "plays" nice but I don't like the theme, I don't like the look, I don't like the sounds and I don't like the price.

#151 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not me. I'll take any old theme they throw at me as long as it helps keep pinball alive. My wants are secondary to the overall good of the pinball hobby and community.

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

People say this about the build but I do not see the quality. Most of the time when I encounter a jjp game in the wild it is broken.
    Maybe I've just had a string of bad encounters and I'm sure people work out the kinks at home, but they've been broken or had big chunks of the art chipped off more often than not on route.

Well I can't really speak to the overall quality.....but they are Big and HEAVY.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shadrac:

And nobody knows the price of the AFM remake right? I don't think it will be cheap...

You're kidding right? They announced the pricing like a week ago. I'm not even going to repeat it it's been posted about so much. (Hint.....way cheaper than MMr.....very good pricing but not outstanding).

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

We won't see that again. The days of blowing out games at bargain prices are over. Back when they made more at a time, like RBION they had to blow them out at 1800 bucks. But now Stern doesn't build unsold games. Even the turd games don't get blown out anymore. Just try to get a bargain on a NIB WWE.
    Build on demand prevents all the extra games sitting around, and Stern can do tiny runs now when needed. It is a very different world.

Never say never. Although I would agree it won't be anytime soon.

#214 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Fifth. It was the fifth.

I gave you the "up votes" not becasue I necessarily agree with you but becasue you're funny.

#251 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Well, anyways, to answer your question... barring another major war, coming next would be an increase in attention to physical labor and trade skills, due to the necessity that an entire culture of workforce cannot exist as white collar (hence the worthless degrees), a decrease in the trends that lead away from the physical (smart phones, social media, paths of least physical resistance, etc.) and towards the physical when able, and a general cultural shift towards focus on others. It would be the subsequent generation where such things are considered noticeable, however.

Coming next is AI and most people's jobs will go bye-bye. Elon Musk has already talked about how a national minimum living wage will have to be implemented because so many people will be out of work.

How many jobs is Watson alone doing? And it's just an expert system; not true AI. Same with self driving cars....don't go to truck driving school because in 5-8 years you won't have a job.

#284 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I forgot about the man bun. If you wear one, are you for or against Stearn?

Well shit, I messed up then.

#301 7 years ago

I would far more likely bet that Stern would the "last man standing" vs being the one in future trouble.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-stern?tu=Astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.