Are you volunteering your games for this year's show? It's time to start getting them ready. We are once again providing transportation for the folks who need it, and as a reminder, the group really appreciates any games which can be self transported. We have a huge number of games being transported which means that we need everyone's help to make sure we can move the games as quickly, efficiently, and safely as possible.
If you are self-transporting, please review the instructions in this message as well - your assistance will keep the machines flowing smoothly into and out the convention center.
On a related note, if anyone can self-transport any of their games home on Sunday, that would make things easier for the transportation folks. If you can self-transport your games (one or all) home on Sunday, please send a message to Patty Okert and I with the name(s) of which machines you can take.
We have a few steps we need folks to follow when preparing machines for pickup.
• Pinball games must be broken down, including removing the legs, and securing the head to the cabinet (if possible). Pinballs must be removed from the machine, placed in a Ziploc bag along with leg bolts, backbox bolts, and the keys. The bag must be taped or shrink wrapped to the legs. All 4 legs must be shrink wrapped or taped together, and labeled with the machine and owner name.
• Arcade games must have the keys attached to the game. Many folks close a Ziploc baggie in the coin door and then seal the key in the portion of the baggie that is outside the door. Others have zip-tied the keys to the joystick. Please do NOT leave the keys in the locks.
• We are requesting that all games are wrapped with shrink wrap (wide/heavy plastic wrap available at Costco Home Centers and other locations). Even if you are not worried about the possibility of a minor scuff or scratch, the drivers will be more comfortable if the game is protected and will be able to move games a little quicker.
• On the back of the game, please attach a label with your name and the machine name so that it can easily be identified and returned to you on the correct truck. Blue painters tape or an 8.5" x 11" paper with large writing can work well for labeling your machines.
• Arcade - Place label near the top on the back of the game.
• Pinball - Place label on the underside of the cabinet or near the front of the machine so it is visible when the machine is stood up on it's back.
• Safety check – Please make sure your machine is grounded and nobody can get shocked from playing it (this has been a problem in years past). Refer to some safety tips here: https://docs.google.com/…/1vSuo8vNIjvI_toN3whY_muC8BzpXIRK4… . Note the document refers to arcades, the same info applies to pinballs
• Please have your machine where it is easiest for us to pick up. That means a ground floor room or garage. We may not be able to do the pickup if you have a stairs or a steep incline to deal with. We will not pick up machines from an upstairs location without prior arrangements being made.
Pickup/Dropoff site preparation:
• Please make sure that the pathway from the games to the truck is clear and accessible prior to pickup and delivery.
• The area where the truck will park and load/unload games should be easily accessible - please move vehicles out of the way so the truck can park.
• When the truck arrives, please meet the driver and point out any obstacles such as low tree branches, soft ground, or other things that the driver should avoid.
• Please be prepared to assist with the loading/unloading of your games as much as possible. The drivers are moving dozens of games each and a little help will make their jobs easier.
Proper preparation will speed the loading/unloading of your games and make the stop go as quickly and safely as possible.
We want to be as flexible as possible but with the number of machines being transported, we will not be able to transport machines that are not prepared for pickup. If you cannot prep your machines or have them available in an easy to access location, please let us know so we can find someone to help you get them set up.
Please make yourselves available all day Thursday June 8th for the pickup, and all afternoon/evening Sunday for the return delivery. The driver for your pickup route will contact you to schedule the pickup and deliveries for your machines. Pickups will be made on Thursday with the last routes scheduled such that the trucks can be unloaded by 5 pm. Deliveries back will begin Sunday, June 5th after 4 PM and will go late into the evening so please be patient. There may be a few instances where we pick up your games on Wednesday and return them on Monday, but you will be contacted if you are in one of those categories.
• IMPORTANT >>> You may bring your games to the convention center loading dock Thursday, June 8th, between the hours of 8am and 8pm. The fifth floor dock will be available Thursday from 8am-8:00 pm on Thursday, 8am-10am Friday, and all afternoon on Sunday.
*We encourage folks to set up and break down their own machines whenever possible*
• The convention center is located at: 1500 Broadway, Tacoma, WA 98402
• Driving, parking and transit directions are here: http://www.gtctc.org/attend-overview/directions-parking
• The 5th floor loading dock is located on the west side of the convention center on Market street. If you follow the directions listed in the link provided above, then the entrance to the loading dock area is through a sliding gate that will be on your left (East) side if you are traveling South on Market street towards S 17th Street. If you reach 17th street you have passed the lot and need to circle back around.
• When it comes time to pick up your games on Sunday, please do not bring your vehicle into the loading dock area until AFTER the first group of trucks have been loaded and are out on their route. Plan on starting to load your vehicle no sooner than 4:30 pm. Again, check with a member of the load-out crew to make sure that the area is clear of trucks before you bring your vehicle into the area and start loading. The game show trucks will be working until late at night, and everyone will get done sooner if the trucks receive FIRST PRIORITY for loading and unloading. We thank you greatly for your cooperation during these times and appreciate any help you can provide with preparing other games for transportation home while you are waiting.
These are the default directions, however there are always exceptions or special cases, please let us know what we can do to accommodate any needs. We would like to thank everyone for providing their games, without you we wouldn't have a show! If you have any questions, please contact one of the following folks from the transportation committee:
Toby Udman: email@example.com, 425-314-5192
Patty Okert, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-876-0423