(Topic ID: 172063)

2017 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show (June 9-11)!!!

By nwpinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 403 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by nwpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017 NWPAAS 021 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 020 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 019 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 018 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 017 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 016 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 015 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 014 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 015 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 013 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 012 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 010 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 011 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 009 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 008 (resized).JPG
    2017 NWPAAS 007 (resized).JPG
    There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That one makes me smile...
    Looks further along as well.

Yeah! It's such a fun theme! My favorite part about this game (aside from the bong you can shoot!) is that it went from a FAST Pinball hardware order ... to a photo of a complete playfield! The designer certainly works efficiently. Come and meet him at the NW Pinball Show.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#202 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Holy cow -- green out has come along way from the white wood last year -- awesome!!!!

For sure! Come hang out and play it.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#203 6 years ago

I just created a new topic for the Pinball Maker Day we are hosting June 8th. So stoked!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-maker-day-june-8th-2017

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#204 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year! We always try to showcase the very latest in pinball at NITRO.....and this year is no exception. We'll have HOUDINI, AFMR & ALIEN. We'll also be bringing DIALED IN. However, this will be located outside our booth (with at least 1 other model) on the floor. Drop by to say hello and test drive all of these fantastic titles! Myself, Joe Balcer & Jolly Backer from American Pinball will be standing by to answer any questions. Jack, Butch & David from JJP will be also be around to talk DI. It's a glorious time for pinball!

See you there!

[email protected]

NITRO-NWPinballShow (resized).jpgNITRO-NWPinballShow (resized).jpg

DialedIn-JJP (resized).pngDialedIn-JJP (resized).png

#205 6 years ago

A quick note to vendors, especially new ones, make sure to collect WA state sales tax! We totally forgot last year and the show submitted our info to the state so we got a letter reminder. Sucked because we forgot to collect tax and ended up paying an extra 10% of sales out of pocket.

#206 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

A quick note to vendors, especially new ones, make sure to collect WA state sales tax! We totally forgot last year and the show submitted our info to the state so we got a letter reminder. Sucked because we forgot to collect tax and ended up paying an extra 10% of sales out of pocket.

Oooh, good tip. I'm going to get Holly to let all the vendors know, that should be in the info they get from the show. Thanks! The state is pretty tough on conventions, they ask for a lot of paperwork and who each vendor is up front, they always want their taxes and fees.

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I'd turn that question back around-- Why do you have to run RMPS the same weekend as our show??

Yep, that's the correct question. I believe the Northwest show booked their date over a year in advance.

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Yep, that's the correct question. I believe the Northwest show booked their date over a year in advance.

Eh, we are partly to blame, we normally do our show one weekend earlier, but the venue was booked. But we announced this date about a year ago, I don't know when Southern Fried and Colorado picked theirs. Next year we will be the first weekend in June, so other shows can plan accordingly if they want to avoid doing it the same weekend. No one wants shows to compete for games and speakers, we want all the shows to be successful and fun!

#209 6 years ago

SFGE was the same weekend last year. We did our show, took a nap and then jumped on a plane for SQGE.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#210 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Oooh, good tip. I'm going to get Holly to let all the vendors know, that should be in the info they get from the show. Thanks! The state is pretty tough on conventions, they ask for a lot of paperwork and who each vendor is up front, they always want their taxes and fees.

Next time give the convention center fake info for us, we now get spam mail about hosting events there

#211 6 years ago

Anyone going that's selling an Williams Indiana Jones. Looking to buy one

#212 6 years ago

We will have our Zaccaria Combat project in the Fast area at the show. Hoping to have it flipping and at least somewhat playable. Can't wait to see some of the other custom games progress.

IMG_5675 (resized).JPGIMG_5675 (resized).JPG

IMG_5741 (resized).JPGIMG_5741 (resized).JPG

#213 6 years ago
    Quoted from JosiahCox:

We will have our Zaccaria Combat project in the Fast area at the show. Hoping to have it flipping and at least somewhat playable. Can't wait to see some of the other custom games progress.

Excited to have you with us this year!

Green Out! will be here again this year. It was just shipped up from Cali.

IMG_0947 (resized).JPGIMG_0947 (resized).JPG

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#214 6 years ago

At PAGG this year,Alien lasted about 6 hours on the floor! Houdini was put on 2 balls only! No four player games>It didn't hold up either! When folks saw their photos put up on Dialed in,mixed reaction! The new AFM was way cool! Full Throttle was there for one day only,couldn't get close to it! Same for the Rob Zombies Spookshow! ! Day!Have fun! Get there early!!

#215 6 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

At PAGG this year,Alien lasted about 6 hours on the floor! Houdini was put on 2 balls only! No four player games>It didn't hold up either! When folks saw their photos put up on Dialed in,mixed reaction! The new AFM was way cool! Full Throttle was there for one day only,couldn't get close to it! Same for the Rob Zombies Spookshow! ! Day!Have fun! Get there early!!

I think with new games that are prototypes, people should expect a few problems like that. Still, people flock to shows to see and play new games, often with the intention of trying them out before buying one once it's under production.

Luckily there will be 400 other games to play if the protos have problems. One of the big selling points of the Northwest show is we have an excellent tech team that repairs games throughout the show, we never have more than a handful of games down. We also don't allow people to pull games from the floor early, which is a major complaint about some other shows. If you show up for just a few hours Sunday afternoon, the game floor will still be packed with 400 working games and all the vendors. Cheers and keep flippin'!

#216 6 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

A lot of brand new games when there is only 1 at a show is set for 2 balls for everyone to get a chance to play it. Lots of people like to diddle around when there is a massive line to play

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

A lot of brand new games when there is only 1 at a show is set for 2 balls for everyone to get a chance to play it. Lots of people like to diddle around when there is a massive line to play

Yep. I think Hobbit was one ball when it was first at the show. I can't remember if it was set that way or just what everyone was told. This was a good thing as the line took long enough to get through with one ball per play.

#218 6 years ago

Well, I just saw on Facebook that the pre-sale tickets for the show are closed. With my wife and I volunteering games (3) for the first time, I completely forgot to buy a second ticket.

What time can we buy tickets at the door on Friday? Hopefully this is before the show opens.

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Well, I just saw on Facebook that the pre-sale tickets for the show are closed. With my wife and I volunteering games (3) for the first time, I completely forgot to buy a second ticket.
    What time can we buy tickets at the door on Friday? Hopefully this is before the show opens.

Shouldn't be a problem to get a ticket at open. Grab a coffee and get a jump on the day. Wake up while standing in line (thank you coffee!) and get the ticket.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

PS: ...because not waiting in line with her would be frowned upon.

#220 6 years ago

Yes, online tickets just closed so they can build the registration database, but tickets will be available at the door at the same prices for both daily and weekend passes. The show never sells out, although it get pretty packed Saturday afternoons.

#221 6 years ago

SPEAKER ANNOUNCEMENT! We have a late edition, Joe Balcer and Jolly from American Pinball will talking at 11am on Saturday about game design, development, how American got a working Houdini prototype done in 4 months time, it's current status, American's future plans and will take questions from the audience. Along with designing Houdini, Joe Balcer was also a pinball designer for The Simpson’s Pinball Party, Apollo 13, South Park, Star Wars Trilogy and Starship Troopers.

Joe Balcer (resized).jpgJoe Balcer (resized).jpg

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Yes, online tickets just closed so they can build the registration database, but tickets will be available at the door at the same prices for both daily and weekend passes. The show never sells out, although it get pretty packed Saturday afternoons.

Right. Looking forward to going for our 5th time. Just wondering what time they'll be set up Friday morning. I like to get in when the doors open.

#223 6 years ago

It's on it's way!

houdini box (resized).jpghoudini box (resized).jpg

#224 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Right. Looking forward to going for our 5th time. Just wondering what time they'll be set up Friday morning. I like to get in when the doors open.

Doors open at noon on Friday! Yeah, I agree, the first couple hours on Friday are a great time to hit the show, after the initial rush to get in, the hall is actually pretty empty, it's a great time to get a game in on the new stuff like Dialed In, Alien, Houdini, Batman 66 and Aerosmith before the crowds all come.

#225 6 years ago

Are you volunteering your games for this year's show? It's time to start getting them ready. We are once again providing transportation for the folks who need it, and as a reminder, the group really appreciates any games which can be self transported. We have a huge number of games being transported which means that we need everyone's help to make sure we can move the games as quickly, efficiently, and safely as possible.

If you are self-transporting, please review the instructions in this message as well - your assistance will keep the machines flowing smoothly into and out the convention center.

On a related note, if anyone can self-transport any of their games home on Sunday, that would make things easier for the transportation folks. If you can self-transport your games (one or all) home on Sunday, please send a message to Patty Okert and I with the name(s) of which machines you can take.

We have a few steps we need folks to follow when preparing machines for pickup.

Game Preparation:
    • Pinball games must be broken down, including removing the legs, and securing the head to the cabinet (if possible). Pinballs must be removed from the machine, placed in a Ziploc bag along with leg bolts, backbox bolts, and the keys. The bag must be taped or shrink wrapped to the legs. All 4 legs must be shrink wrapped or taped together, and labeled with the machine and owner name.
    • Arcade games must have the keys attached to the game. Many folks close a Ziploc baggie in the coin door and then seal the key in the portion of the baggie that is outside the door. Others have zip-tied the keys to the joystick. Please do NOT leave the keys in the locks.
    • We are requesting that all games are wrapped with shrink wrap (wide/heavy plastic wrap available at Costco Home Centers and other locations). Even if you are not worried about the possibility of a minor scuff or scratch, the drivers will be more comfortable if the game is protected and will be able to move games a little quicker.
    • On the back of the game, please attach a label with your name and the machine name so that it can easily be identified and returned to you on the correct truck. Blue painters tape or an 8.5" x 11" paper with large writing can work well for labeling your machines.
    • Arcade - Place label near the top on the back of the game.
    • Pinball - Place label on the underside of the cabinet or near the front of the machine so it is visible when the machine is stood up on it's back.
    • Safety check – Please make sure your machine is grounded and nobody can get shocked from playing it (this has been a problem in years past). Refer to some safety tips here: https://docs.google.com/…/1vSuo8vNIjvI_toN3whY_muC8BzpXIRK4… . Note the document refers to arcades, the same info applies to pinballs
    • Please have your machine where it is easiest for us to pick up. That means a ground floor room or garage. We may not be able to do the pickup if you have a stairs or a steep incline to deal with. We will not pick up machines from an upstairs location without prior arrangements being made.

Pickup/Dropoff site preparation:
    • Please make sure that the pathway from the games to the truck is clear and accessible prior to pickup and delivery.
    • The area where the truck will park and load/unload games should be easily accessible - please move vehicles out of the way so the truck can park.
    • When the truck arrives, please meet the driver and point out any obstacles such as low tree branches, soft ground, or other things that the driver should avoid.
    • Please be prepared to assist with the loading/unloading of your games as much as possible. The drivers are moving dozens of games each and a little help will make their jobs easier.

Proper preparation will speed the loading/unloading of your games and make the stop go as quickly and safely as possible.
    We want to be as flexible as possible but with the number of machines being transported, we will not be able to transport machines that are not prepared for pickup. If you cannot prep your machines or have them available in an easy to access location, please let us know so we can find someone to help you get them set up.

Please make yourselves available all day Thursday June 8th for the pickup, and all afternoon/evening Sunday for the return delivery. The driver for your pickup route will contact you to schedule the pickup and deliveries for your machines. Pickups will be made on Thursday with the last routes scheduled such that the trucks can be unloaded by 5 pm. Deliveries back will begin Sunday, June 5th after 4 PM and will go late into the evening so please be patient. There may be a few instances where we pick up your games on Wednesday and return them on Monday, but you will be contacted if you are in one of those categories.

For self-transportation:
    • IMPORTANT >>> You may bring your games to the convention center loading dock Thursday, June 8th, between the hours of 8am and 8pm. The fifth floor dock will be available Thursday from 8am-8:00 pm on Thursday, 8am-10am Friday, and all afternoon on Sunday.

*We encourage folks to set up and break down their own machines whenever possible*

• The convention center is located at: 1500 Broadway, Tacoma, WA 98402
    • Driving, parking and transit directions are here: http://www.gtctc.org/attend-overview/directions-parking
    • The 5th floor loading dock is located on the west side of the convention center on Market street. If you follow the directions listed in the link provided above, then the entrance to the loading dock area is through a sliding gate that will be on your left (East) side if you are traveling South on Market street towards S 17th Street. If you reach 17th street you have passed the lot and need to circle back around.
    • When it comes time to pick up your games on Sunday, please do not bring your vehicle into the loading dock area until AFTER the first group of trucks have been loaded and are out on their route. Plan on starting to load your vehicle no sooner than 4:30 pm. Again, check with a member of the load-out crew to make sure that the area is clear of trucks before you bring your vehicle into the area and start loading. The game show trucks will be working until late at night, and everyone will get done sooner if the trucks receive FIRST PRIORITY for loading and unloading. We thank you greatly for your cooperation during these times and appreciate any help you can provide with preparing other games for transportation home while you are waiting.

These are the default directions, however there are always exceptions or special cases, please let us know what we can do to accommodate any needs. We would like to thank everyone for providing their games, without you we wouldn't have a show! If you have any questions, please contact one of the following folks from the transportation committee:
    Toby Udman: [email protected], 425-314-5192
    Patty Okert, [email protected], 425-876-0423

#226 6 years ago

First time donating so a couple of simple questions...

Just for clarification leave the pinball legs with key/bolt/ball baggie separate from the machine, not shrink wrapped to the machine itself?

Also on em and early ss pinballs where the head is not hinged is it OK to leave wires attached and lay the head on the cabinet shrink wrapped in place against the neck so it can't slide down? I have transported them that way but wanted to make sure that's cool with you guys. And is that how you would be packing back up to return.

Thanks, looking forward to the fun.

Dan

#227 6 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

First time donating so a couple of simple questions...
    Just for clarification leave the pinball legs with key/bolt/ball baggie separate from the machine, not shrink wrapped to the machine itself?

Correct. Unless you can shrinkwrap them in a way to the machine that they won't poke other games in transport or come loose. I do a separate shrinkwrapped bundle of legs, balls, keys and bolts, then label it with painter's tape with the game name. I think that's how most people do it now, it took us a few years to get it down to a good system.

Quoted from BorgDog:

Also on em and early ss pinballs where the head is not hinged is it OK to leave wires attached and lay the head on the cabinet shrink wrapped in place against the neck so it can't slide down? I have transported them that way but wanted to make sure that's cool with you guys. And is that how you would be packing back up to return. Thanks, looking forward to the fun. Dan

Yup, that's how I'd do them. I use a rachet strap with some cardboard so the head won't move at all, then shrink wrap it. But you can get away without the strap if you use enough shrink wrap and get it tight. I can't imagine undoing on the connectors, that's gonna take to long to break down and set up.

These are cut and paste general instructions we've been using for years and I think mainly aimed at people that haven't transported a lot of games before, sounds like you know what you are doing

#228 6 years ago

P3 showed up in time so it'll be there!

download_20170531_152856 (resized).jpgdownload_20170531_152856 (resized).jpg

#229 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

P3 showed up in time so it'll be there!

!!! Yes!!!

#230 6 years ago

SWEEEEEET!

#231 6 years ago

Final speaker line up with all our special guests! There will also be DIY tech seminars on Friday and a Pinball Maker series held by Fast Pinball on Thursday!

2017 Speakers for website (resized).jpg2017 Speakers for website (resized).jpg

#232 6 years ago

Seven of my games destined for the show were moved to a staging area today. One was moved yesterday but needs some cleaning. The remainder will be moved tomorrow (or in the next few days if not).

Reminder!!! Bring your headphones. All of my games will have headphone jacks.

Here's a teaser of (some of) the games that were rebuilt for this year.

lw0_playfield (resized).jpglw0_playfield (resized).jpg

lw1_complete (resized).jpglw1_complete (resized).jpg

mb0_playfield (resized).jpgmb0_playfield (resized).jpg

mb1_complete (resized).jpgmb1_complete (resized).jpg

sc0_playfield (resized).jpgsc0_playfield (resized).jpg

sc1_complete (resized).jpgsc1_complete (resized).jpg

taf0_ramp (resized).jpgtaf0_ramp (resized).jpg

#233 6 years ago

Vendors and booths at this weekend's show:

Another Castle Arcade
    Artistry for the Brave
    BuzzBuzz Games
    Comics for Kids
    Fast Pinball
    Gambit's Cards and Hobbies
    Hills of Comics
    Home of the Future
    Living Computer Museum
    Lock When Lit
    Marco Specialties
    Nitro Pinball
    Pinball Bulbs
    Pink Gorilla Games
    Red Floor Arcade
    Rich Brothers Amusements
    Seattle Pinball Museum
    Starship Fantasy
    Stern Amusements

#234 6 years ago

Byron and I spoke on KISW this week about pinball, arcade games and the Northwest Show! I love getting to plug our hobby to a larger audience. Check it out:
    http://www.kisw.com/media/audio-channel/bjgn06-05-17-northwest-pinball-arcade-expo

#235 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Rich Brothers Amusements

Avoid these guys

#236 6 years ago

On another note, I'm bringing a Caveman and Omega race for people to play. The omega race is for sale!

#237 6 years ago

Teaser and spoiler!

WIN MAGIC TOKENS!

tokens (resized).jpgtokens (resized).jpg

#238 6 years ago

After party at The Triple Knock this year. Its on 6th street in Tacoma. If you dont get enough pinball at the show, head down at play till 2am.

#239 6 years ago

Those custom Safecracker tokens turned out awesome! We are making 10 year buttons tonight.

#240 6 years ago

The Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show set up starts this Thursday! The two places we still need more volunteers are:

-Thursday morning starting at 7:30am helping unload trucks and moving the games into the hall. It's hard to find enough people to help with unloading the first load, are you available?

-Sunday afternoon from 3pm-6pm, helping break down pins, wrap games, and get the first load or two of trucks out the door.

If everyone can even stick around for just an hour after the show to break down and pack your own games or help with the games going on the first load out, that helps enormously!

I know a lot of you just show up to help with load in and load out, that's what I do, but if you officially sign up, you can also earn volunteer swag: http://games.nwpinballshow.com/Volunteer

#241 6 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Teaser and spoiler!
    WIN MAGIC TOKENS!

That's very cool, will make the machine even more popular.

I would have liked to get in on some of those too if you had announced you were doing a run of them...

Guess I'll just have to win a few now...

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I would have liked to get in on some of those too if you had announced you were doing a run of them...
    Guess I'll just have to win a few now...

It was meant to be a surprise - for the most part. This was mentioned at show planning meetings but not widely publicized.

Full disclosure: these are international size (30mm) tokens but they are not as thick as the original. They were minted with this incorrect thickness and it is too late to mint the proper thickness. Next year's token will have this corrected. Another reason why it wasn't widely publicized (not sure it would be correct and in time for the show).

These will be for sale if you don't want to spend some time trying to win one from the Safe Crackers. Purchase is aimed more at the general public for a momento as I don't expect the general public to connect the token to Safe Cracker.

I will likely have some surplus so if you're interested in a little more than a handful (but not a big handful) come find me.

#243 6 years ago

Everyone enjoy the show.

Have fun and be safe.

#244 6 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Teaser and spoiler!
    WIN MAGIC TOKENS!

Must... earn... token...

#245 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Must... earn... token...

Are you visiting the show? If you are ... welcome to the Pacific Northwest and I hope you enjoy the show.

If you fail to earn (win) one or are interested in playing Assault on the Vault then please ask for me (look for the owner tag on the machine) at the center support desk. Odds are good though that I'll either be working on or tuning machines.

Must ... get ... rid ... of ... credit ... dot ...

#246 6 years ago

Yes indeed! NWPAS is the other "bookend" of the shows on the Pinball Tour (started with TPF and Allentown was in between).

Looking forward to the show! I plan to hit several Seattle pinball venues on the 8th. Was thinking Seattle Pinball Museum, 8-Bit Arcade Bar, and Add-A-Ball. Hopefully will find some EM's among them.

#247 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I plan to hit several Seattle pinball venues on the 8th. Was thinking Seattle Pinball Museum, 8-Bit Arcade Bar, and Add-A-Ball. Hopefully will find some EM's among them.

Don't forget Flip Flip Ding Ding in Georgetown! Absolutely beautiful collection.

#248 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Don't forget Flip Flip Ding Ding in Georgetown! Absolutely beautiful collection.

I've heard Seattle and Portland are pinball heaven... now I am beginning to believe it!

Can I possibly visit FOUR different pinball venues in one day before hitting NWPAS?!?!!

Oh hell, let's do it.

#249 6 years ago

Add-A-Ball -> SPM -> Flip Flip -> 8-Bit is not only doable, but geographically convenient.

#250 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Add-A-Ball -> SPM -> Flip Flip -> 8-Bit is not only doable, but geographically convenient.

Spm has a bunch of ems

There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-northwest-pinball-arcade-show-june-9-11/page/5?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.