Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 6 years ago

Anyone watching the NFL draft tonight? If so who's your team and who are you hoping they draft?

#2 6 years ago

Go Pens!

Oh NFL...I don't really care too much aboot draft because Steelers always pick low so it's never that exciting. The Lions part of me just wants them not to embarrass themselves, but Bob Quinn has earned a lot of respect locally so fans seem to trust him.

So I hope Lions go Joe Mixon, because they need good players not good people. Of course all the talk aboot NFL teams not wanting him and doing the right thing means he'll already be drafted before 21.

#4 6 years ago

They already have Mike Glennon no need for anyone else bwahgwaghwhawaa

#5 6 years ago

Sometimes, you just need a reason to drink beer!

#6 6 years ago

Well it's the best "Thursday Night Football" anyone's seen in a year.

#7 6 years ago

I have to get my NFL fix in. Red Wings are out and I'm not into Basketball so this is the next best thing.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They already have Mike Glennon no need for anyone else bwahgwaghwhawaa

As a long suffering Bears fan I'm excited they have the 3rd overall draft pick, but they really need the first ten picks to help them.

#9 6 years ago

Take Watson if he's there...Bears don;t know much luck at QB for along long time. Might as well try

#10 6 years ago

Bears need defense all day. They couldn't stop my grandma from rushing for 100 yds.

#11 6 years ago

Go Bills! Trade down and if a top qb is there take him. If not take the best available. 5th round Chad Kelly! The second coming!

#12 6 years ago

My luck the Lions will pick a TE or WR in the 1st instead of the obvious DE or LB we need.

#13 6 years ago

I never really watched foot ball growing up. I played with my friends. Growing up in detriot in the 80s, there was just so much else to do. Also I had no dad or a dead beat dad. No bonding time around football here in my youth.

im going to fool around with football this fall after my stroke and three brain surgeries. I'm going to try to learn. My brain works different now. Who knows???

#14 6 years ago

Well the bear just traded their whole draft for Truibisky, hahahahaha

#15 6 years ago

Only position worth trading up for is a qb

#16 6 years ago

That's a lot to give up for a QB with 13 starts. A 3rd and a 4th rounder in a super deep defensive draft. I'm Shocked

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

As a long suffering Bears fan I'm excited they have the 3rd overall draft pick, but they really need the first ten picks to help them.

The Bears need the first 10 picks in each round to turn this poopship around. Ah who cares, there's playoff hockey on.

#18 6 years ago

Although I do like the way Godell gets booed every time he walks up to the podium.

#19 6 years ago

That's the only constant in the draft, lol.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from thadawkins:

Well the bear just traded their whole draft for Truibisky, hahahahaha

Typical Bears move...blow their whole draft in one move...I sure hope Trubisky turns into something, he has raw talent.

#21 6 years ago

Nice to see a division rival throw away 3 picks and grab a questionable QB. That's the thing that my Lions would've done BBQ.

#22 6 years ago

Atleast they didn't trade up and use essentially two first round picks on a wr...... bills

#23 6 years ago

Trubisky has all the potential to be a great QB but the Bears need someone to teach him and I'm not sure Glennon is the Mentor anyone wants for their young QB.

#24 6 years ago

Western Bronco goes 5th, and two wolverines go in the first. Nice!

#25 6 years ago

I went to Clemson so I'm in a good place this year, and was eager to see where Williams and Watson ended up. Excited that Williams went to a pass happy offence, very surprised (and a little confused) that Watson was the 3rd QB selected overall. But having said that, very cool that he went to a Playoff ready team that seems to only be missing a QB. He's behind Savage for now, but should move up once he gets a grasp. Great defense that could use some more points each game.

Glad he went to Houston, I can root for Houston, would be hard to root for the Jets or Browns who are both train-wrecks regarding QBs, no offence.

#26 6 years ago

Drafting a QB is a very inexact science, almost a crapshoot. That's because the most important factors for a QB are intangibles that are difficult to measure: poise under pressure, leadership, the ability to process spacial information quickly. That's one reason why the best player in last year's draft, Dak Prescott, was taken with the 135th pick. Everyone missed those intangibles. The Bears gave up a lot last night to trade up and take Trubisky with the 2nd pick. Seems very risky for a player who only started 13 games in college.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Drafting a QB is a very inexact science, almost a crapshoot. That's because the most important factors for a QB are intangibles that are difficult to measure: poise under pressure, leadership, the ability to process spacial information quickly. That's one reason why the best player in last year's draft, Dak Prescott, was taken with the 135th pick. Everyone missed those intangibles. The Bears gave up a lot last night to trade up and take Trubisky with the 2nd pick. Seems very risky for a player who only started 13 games in college.

I think some of these NFL intellectuals get into a forest for the trees situation. If you had followed Prescott you knew he was going to be a success. The only variable that changes things to me in the jump from college to Pros is the team's situation. Do they have the personnel and coaching staff to allow a QB to succeed? Dallas clearly did. I'm not sold on the Bears QB though. I think he's in a tough situation. Watson and Mahomes will be fine if they put in the work.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think some of these NFL intellectuals get into a forest for the trees situation. If you had followed Prescott you knew he was going to be a success. The only variable that changes things to me in the jump from college to Pros is the team's situation. Do they have the personnel and coaching staff to allow a QB to succeed? Dallas clearly did. I'm not sold on the Bears QB though. I think he's in a tough situation. Watson and Mahomes will be fine if they put in the work.

I agree. Bill Parcells' came up with criteria for drafting QB's which seem to be more focused on how mature an individual is and whether they could handle the burden of learning the toughest position in professional sports.

His rules are as follows:

-The quarterback must be a senior. . .because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback
-He must be a graduate. . .because you want somebody that takes their responsibilities seriously.
-He must be a three-year starter. . .because you want to make sure his success wasn't a fluke and to know that he has been "the guy" for a significant period of time.
-He must have 23 wins. . .because big numbers don't mean a whole lot if you don't win.

Dak Prescott satisfied all those criteria. Tribisky does not. It will be interesting to see if Parcells is right once again.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from thadawkins:

The Bears just traded their whole draft for Trubisky.

Quoted from thadawkins:

That's a lot to give up for a QB with 13 starts.

And did so needlessly. The experts say they could have not traded up and still gotten him with the third pick.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

And did so needlessly. The experts say they could have not traded up and still gotten him with the third pick.

Doesn't surprise me, they are idiots. I was ranting to my wife about it and she shut me down. Said it's to early to complain about the Bears. She said she wishes the whole league goes bankrupt.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I agree. Bill Parcells' came up with criteria for drafting QB's which seem to be more focused on how mature an individual is and whether they could handle the burden of learning the toughest position in professional sports.
His rules are as follows:
-The quarterback must be a senior. . .because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback
-He must be a graduate. . .because you want somebody that takes their responsibilities seriously.
-He must be a three-year starter. . .because you want to make sure his success wasn't a fluke and to know that he has been "the guy" for a significant period of time.
-He must have 23 wins. . .because big numbers don't mean a whole lot if you don't win.
Dak Prescott satisfied all those criteria. Tribisky does not. It will be interesting to see if Parcells is right once again.

Not sure when Parcells came up with these criteria, certainly not while coaching in the NFL.
He drafted 2 year starter Jeff Hostetler in 1984 (18 total wins in those two seasons)
He drafted 3 year starter, non college graduate Drew Bledsoe in 1993 ( he lead Wash State to 3,4 and 9 win seasons)

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Not sure when Parcells came up with these criteria, certainly not while coaching in the NFL.
He drafted 2 year starter Jeff Hostetler in 1984 (18 total wins in those two seasons)
He drafted 3 year starter, non college graduate Drew Bledsoe in 1993 ( he lead Wash State to 3,4 and 9 win seasons)

Parcells developed his QB criteria in 2009, probably after reflecting back on his long coaching career and determining what worked best and what didn't. Of course no rules are perfect, but these are good ones.

http://www.jackfertig.com/wordpress/?cat=367

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

32 NFL teams spent millions on scouting and none of them KNEW Dak would be a success.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

If you had followed Prescott you knew he was going to be a success.

Come on now. Every year teams piss away a ton of picks on 1st round QBs; it isn't easy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-nfl-draft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.