(Topic ID: 196940)

2017 IFPA Heads-Up Pinball Championship – Registration is now OPEN!

By ifpapinball

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8222AF72-695B-442C-ABF5-D561089C578A (resized).jpeg
    E30C7ED6-421F-4254-81D2-8BBC6AE6A2BA (resized).jpeg
    BD83EDBC-60A0-4709-ADF1-94B308ED8628 (resized).jpeg
    image002 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

The IFPA is proud to announce the 2017 IFPA Heads-Up Pinball Championship! A new twist on competitive pinball, players will be battling head-to-head simultaneously on two different machines of the same title attempting to complete challenges the fastest.

The winner of the tournament will receive a brand new Stern Aerosmith Pro Pinball Machine.

Registration for the 2017 IFPA Heads-Up Pinball Championship is now OPEN! For details on the IFPA Heads-Up Pinball Championship go to:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/headsup/

The 2017 IFPA Heads-Up Pinball Championship is scheduled for October 27-28th, 2017 at the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas. The IFPA Heads-Up Pinball Championship is being held in conjunction with the 10th annual Big Buck Hunter World Championship.

Should you have any questions about our qualifying process or to find out more information about the tournament, please contact the IFPA at [email protected].

image002 (resized).jpgimage002 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Intriguing.... alas zero ability to go

#3 6 years ago

damn, "baby sitting" my parents puppy for a few weeks starting that weekend. good thing he is adorable.

#4 6 years ago

Interesting format. Will the challenges be revealed prior to the tournament?

#5 6 years ago

I hope to watch this between diaper changes.

...not mine.

#6 6 years ago

I'm not sure how this will go, but I registered. There are only 3 games to know the rules to, and I used to own a Ghostbusters, so I figure I might as well give it a shot. I prefer things being based on overall score than speed, but maybe this will be great.

#7 6 years ago

Here's the current Challenge list as it sits right now (subject to change).

Star Wars:
    - Start Tie Fighter Multiball
    - Start Hyperspace Multiball
    - Start Video Mode
    - Reach Jedi Training - Jedi Level
    - Two Minute Drill (most points after 2 minutes)

Ghostbusters:
    - Capture 20 ghosts
    - Start Storage Facility Multiball
    - Collect Super Jackpot
    - Complete 2 modes

Aerosmith:
    - Start Toy Box Multiball (player chooses what level)
    - Star Love in the Elevator Multiball
    - Light one of the 2X multiplier shots (player choice)
    - Collect Extra Ball award

#8 6 years ago

Two Minute Drill do you have a way to see the score all the time??

to many modes and other stuff hide the score or don't add it the live score till mode is over.

and things like do X if hidden or lost in a stack of other modes.

If EB's are off and some MB is running then you may get an EB with out even knowing that you did. Same thing with stacked MB's or people skipping mystery and other displays (even more so in an race/speed run format)

Will you have an video review judge (like the NFL?)

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Here's the current Challenge list as it sits right now (subject to change).
    Star Wars:
    - Start Tie Fighter Multiball
    - Start Hyperspace Multiball
    - Start Video Mode
    - Reach Jedi Training - Jedi Level
    Ghostbusters:
    - Capture 20 ghosts
    - Start Storage Facility Multiball
    - Collect Super Jackpot
    - Complete 2 modes
    Aerosmith:
    - Start Toy Box Multiball (player chooses what level)
    - Star Love in the Elevator Multiball
    - Light one of the 2X multiplier shots (player choice)
    - Collect Extra Ball award

are these all during the same game, or do you have one objective on each game during each matchup

#10 6 years ago

and if both players complete the challenge in a dead heat??

What about issues with software lag??? I have seen that on stern games from time to time?

#11 6 years ago

Good luck with that... since it's currently impossible. =Þ

#12 6 years ago

5. Stuck Balls/Malfunctions/Rulings

Because of the simultaneous play within these matches, both players need to “stop” play should a stuck ball, malfunction or ruling occur. Should this happen to Player A, Player B should immediately trap up until the situation is remedied for a tournament director. The tournament director will announce when play can resume.

I just see issues with stopping as you can't realy stop on a dime or some one in a timed mode may lose out on that mode.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

are these all during the same game, or do you have one objective on each game during each matchup

One objective is the goal. One of the players chooses the objective that both players end up chasing.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Two Minute Drill do you have a way to see the score all the time??
    to many modes and other stuff hide the score or don't add it the live score till mode is over.
    and things like do X if hidden or lost in a stack of other modes.
    If EB's are off and some MB is running then you may get an EB with out even knowing that you did. Same thing with stacked MB's or people skipping mystery and other displays (even more so in an race/speed run format)
    Will you have an video review judge (like the NFL?)

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and if both players complete the challenge in a dead heat??
    What about issues with software lag??? I have seen that on stern games from time to time?

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I just see issues with stopping as you can't realy stop on a dime or some one in a timed mode may lose out on that mode.

Relax Joe . . . we got this

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

One objective is the goal. One of the players chooses the objective that both players end up chasing.

is completion time not relevant to the ball (1st,2nd,3rd) in play?
    what I mean is, if I complete the objective faster but am on ball 3 and the other play then completes it but is on ball 1, does that matter?

or if I drain ball 1, do I have to wait till player 2 drains ball 1 to plunge ball 2?

for example, on star wars, I could risk draining to get another plunge skill shot to collect some more tie fighters to get to that MB "faster"

#16 6 years ago

is completion time not relevant to the ball (1st,2nd,3rd) in play?
    what I mean is, if I complete the objective faster but am on ball 3 and the other play then completes it but is on ball 1, does that matter?
    or if I drain ball 1, do I have to wait till player 2 drains ball 1 to plunge ball 2?
    for example, on star wars, I could risk draining to get another plunge skill shot to collect some more tie fighters to get to that MB "faster"

The ONLY thing that matters is who does it first (time wise). Number of balls does not matter, number of restarts it takes you to get there, no need to wait for your opponent ever (besides a stuck ball/ruling issue)

There will be strategies that come into play where perhaps tilting or restarting on purpose may be beneficial . . . we'll find out!

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The ONLY thing that matters is who does it first (time wise). Number of balls does not matter, number of restarts it takes you to get there, no need to wait for your opponent ever (besides a stuck ball/ruling issue)
    There will be strategies that come into play where perhaps tilting or restarting on purpose may be beneficial . . . we'll find out!

oh sweet, you can play as many games as you need to to complete the objective. yeah this will get crazy! sounds like a blast

#18 6 years ago

oh sweet, you can play as many games as you need to to complete the objective. yeah this will get crazy! sounds like a blast

It's basically the Gauntlet format used previously... race to the goal.. time is what counts.

#19 6 years ago

and what is the official start time for mode X when you hit the switch needed or when it really starts?? There needs to be an set rule for very close timings (or just say it's to close to call) and that rule needs to fairly account for the game software lagging.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and what is the official start time for mode X when you hit the switch needed or when it really starts?? There needs to be an set rule for very close timings (or just say it's to close to call) and that rule needs to fairly account for the game software lagging.

Are you coming out to Vegas Joe?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Are you coming out to Vegas Joe?

not at that date and I kind of have other plans already for that date.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

not at that date and I kind of have other plans already for that date.

Then don't worry about it . . . we'll be alright

I'll fill you in on how it went at the next November Level 257 event after it's over.

#23 6 years ago

Hope this goes over well. Won't be attending but curious.

1 month later
    #24 6 years ago

I don't stand a chance, but this is good excuse to get out to vegas for 48 hours

#25 6 years ago

Played a few Star Wars heads-up matches at Expo, and this format is FUN. I beat Escher in a two-minute drill which came down to bonus after the buzzer. Lost to Jon Replogle by a second in a tie fighter multiball race. So much adrenaline, my hands were trembling after I walked away.

(For the record, Escher destroyed me in my third match.)

#26 6 years ago

First of the "tips" videos that Karl is whipping up. We'll be using these as part of the stream, but we also want to provide them as a strategy guide for those that may not be aware of how to complete some of the challenges.

#27 6 years ago

that is why video review may be needed

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

that is why video review may be needed

We did . . . I called Stern HQ who was watching from the cloud. When I put on my headset the voice told me that Jon made it first.

#29 6 years ago

can we get a booth review in NY please?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

can we get a booth review in NY please?

in where they call the sports book to see what way makes the house win the most.

#31 6 years ago

Ghostbusters challenge tips are up:

#32 6 years ago

Thanks to Karl for whipping these videos up.

Also reassuring to me that I had actually worked out how to get all these goals the correct way .. miracles will never cease lol

rd

#33 6 years ago

The Heads-Up is on!

The King is in the house!

Big Buck Hunter ladies championship is in the same room ... their production is next level.

rd

BD83EDBC-60A0-4709-ADF1-94B308ED8628 (resized).jpegBD83EDBC-60A0-4709-ADF1-94B308ED8628 (resized).jpeg
    E30C7ED6-421F-4254-81D2-8BBC6AE6A2BA (resized).jpegE30C7ED6-421F-4254-81D2-8BBC6AE6A2BA (resized).jpeg
    8222AF72-695B-442C-ABF5-D561089C578A (resized).jpeg8222AF72-695B-442C-ABF5-D561089C578A (resized).jpeg

#34 6 years ago

Live feed of the IFPA Pinball Heads Up Championship here!

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-ifpa-heads-up-pinball-championship-%e2%80%93-registration-is-now-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.