(Topic ID: 181814)

2016 - the year that will go down in pinball infamy

By j_m_

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    #1 7 years ago

say what you will about our hobby making a come back, but you really can't deny the fact that it seems that just about every manufacturer really did "their best" to screw up this hobby of ours

from stern with their quality control issues and having to change manufacturing partners for playfield production, to what has become a seemingly people's court edition with the predator and jpop fiascos and now dutch pinball's problems with ARA (which go back to october), it makes me wonder just how many more hits this industry can take before even the most forgiving will finally shout "enough is enough" and walking away

a few years ago, with start ups like jersey jack and smaller boutique players like spooky, dutch pinball, skit-b and zidware entering the pinball manufacturing business, I think that everyone was of the mindset that these added choices would help give the hobby the much needed "competition breeds innovation" shot in the arm, but who could have foreseen the sh*tstorm that was to be last year

how did we go from expo 2015 (probably being one of the best shows in recent history) to watching our hobby almost implode in just a few short months?

if you really think about it, 2016 was a chain of failure after failure
    - stern switches playfield suppliers resulting in quality issues with their playfields (the clear coat on the playfield chipping off areas and releasing from inserts causing crazing (e.g. "ghosting")
    - kevin kulek is taken to court over theft of countless 1000's of dollars for a machine that he did not have the license to produce
    - john popadiuk announces that he can't produce even the first of the 3 games that he's announced and taken 100's of 1,000's of dollars for from customers
    - stern announces a "super limited" edition machine that requires people to pony up $15,000 for sight unseen. they further muddy the waters by increasing the [limited] number by more than 2x and force people to beg for the opportunity to pay $15K for the privilege of purchasing said machine
    - DP announces a delay in further shipments of TBL due to a "parts issue" which turns out to be a monetary dispute between them and ARA (the company that they partnered with for the design and production of circuit boards and manufacturing of the machine

with all that, I think that 2017 is probably going to be one of pinball's more scrutinized years ever with every manufacturer being under the microscope and [hopefully] held to a much higher standard (one that will be determined by us, the consumer, where both causel buyers and collectors alike finally start voting with their wallets and waiting to play new games instead of blindly entering the murky waters in hopes that they're not too deep

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

how did we go from expo 2015 (probably being one of the best shows in recent history) to watching our hobby almost implode in just a few short months?

The hobby isn't imploding. The only byproduct of the crap year was that I only added one NIB game in 2016 (which is one more than I plan to add in 17 due to issues you laid out). However, my hobby of pinball is very strong. I added other used games in the last year, and I'll add more this year. I don't sell as much, but that is because the game I have is probably better than the game I'd buy. Manufacturers are a cool part of this hobby, but they are spitting the bit. Higher prices with lower quality, and that's from the best of the bunch? No thanks, I'll stick with the games I have.

#3 7 years ago

We really need to make it clear that our hobby exists with or without the new game manufacturers. Thousands of games exist, and we can all enjoy pinball with or without them.

These guys have taken advantage of our passion and patience, and IMO 2016 is where it crossed the line. I'm done with all of them. Let's see if they can get back to what a "normal" company of their type is supposed to do: make quality & complete commercial grade coin operated machinery. Expect sales to rise from a great game that gains a great reputation, rather than expecting collectors to keep you afloat with blind buys up front.

#4 7 years ago

Pinball has a history in gambling and it looks like that still exists.

2016 will go down as a year where many fools and their money were parted.

#5 7 years ago

...and yet whenever it is announced the new Star Wars LE will sell out anyway.

#6 7 years ago

No need to be so negative
    Yes Stern has QC and code issues, as they have for the last eight years, nothing new

Yes a few startups did not deliver,while it sucks for those buyers, businesses do fail.

But for all that, stStern is producing, JJP seems to be now in the groove, spooky is steaming along at their own pace, highway is going well
    Id say 2016 was a great year for pinball, and 2017 will be even better

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yes Stern has QC and code issues, as they have for the last eight years, nothing new

Stern has had meaningless QC issues for ages. They were very responsive to them too. At worst your NIB game wouldn't be playable the first week or two. They would send you a part, you would bolt it in, and all was well. Now that it's a very expensive part in both cost and labor (playfield), it is something new. It takes six months to get a replacement, if you can get one at all. This is way different than getting a game with a bunch of loose screws or switches out of adjustment. It's all new.

#8 7 years ago

If pinball can no longer earn on location, then to survive it needs to get it's cash elsewhere. It makes me smile to think so many are dumping so much cash into this industry, that it has no choice but to survive.

#9 7 years ago

Also, many of these failures were starting to show in late 2014, so not exclusive to 2016. There were also some parts folks and Twisted Pins which should be part of the overall infamy list.

#10 7 years ago

I think alot of the success stories from 2016 have been overlooked. Spooky delivered both RZ and Domino's in 2016 proving that they are a force to be reckoned with. Both Wrath of Olympus and Cptn Nemo came to fruition, and p3 wrapped up thier proto's and has announced that they are starting production. After a very big PR stumble AP shows promise and Heighway is delivering both FT and now Aliens. PPS delivered on its promise to get MMr to its customers. HomePin has been on the warpath creating and reproducing much needed components to keep our WMS games running and all signs point to them revealing their first fully flipping game in the near future. After all is said and done I would say that 2016 was a pretty good year for pinball.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I think alot of the success stories from 2016 have been overlooked. Spooky delivered both RZ and Domino's in 2016 proving that they are a force to be reckoned with. Both Wrath of Olympus and Cptn Nemo came to fruition, and p3 wrapped up thier proto's and has announced that they are starting production. After a very big PR stumble AP shows promise and Heighway is delivering both FT and now Aliens. PPS delivered on its promise to get MMr to its customers. HomePin has been on the warpath creating and reproducing much needed components to keep our WMS games running and all signs point to them revealing their first fully flipping game in the near future. After all is said and done I would say that 2016 was a pretty good year for pinball.

#12 7 years ago

2016 was also the year that a majority of the 2013/2014/2015 announced boutiques having been caught up in the overblown hype of a mass pinball revival, inevitably realise that the primary existing pinball consumer base just isn't sufficient to carry their visions of long term pinball machine mass production and either scaled down their original visions accordingly or sought outside investors to support their operations in the interim in order to remain solvent on a superficial level.

Without an expansion of the userbase, I fully expect there to be more of these realisations from new boutique pinball manufacturers in a similar pattern in 2017.

#13 7 years ago

I'm not saying that there weren't a lot of good things that came out of 2016, however I still believe that last year was the culmination of many things that truly "went sideways" (and unfortunately, they seemed to happen one right after another

and while the chicago 2016 expo was still one of the better shows in the past decade, a couple of things overshadowed it from being the memorable show that it could have been including major events, announcements and reveals by heighway, jersey jack and stern which were scheduled at nearly the same times forcing you to pick which one you most wanted to see

and let's not forget about the party that we, the customers, threw stern

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'm not saying that there weren't a lot of good things that came out of 2016, however I still believe that last year was the culmination of many things that truly "went sideways" (and unfortunately, they seemed to happen one right after another
    and while the chicago 2016 expo was still one of the better shows in the past decade, a couple of things overshadowed it from being the memorable show that it could have been including major events, announcements and reveals by heighway, jersey jack and stern which were scheduled at nearly the same times forcing you to pick which one you most wanted to see
    and let's not forget about the party that we, the customers, threw stern

Was there an arm twister that forced attendees to pay and attend the Stern party?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Was there an arm twister that forced attendees to pay and attend the Stern party?

yes, it was in the form of a [monkey promise] which did not materialize due to the untimely demise of said monkey's trainer
    because of this, I was not able to remove "get photo taken with a capuchin monkey that is flipping people off" from my bucket list

#16 7 years ago

As easy as not sending money or pre-order nothing,wait for the game to release,check reviews and decide if buy or not

#17 7 years ago

This 2016 Infamy concept just ain't gonna catch on. It's just another year a bunch of shit happened.

besides we all know 1999 is the year that lives on in Pinball Infamy. Black monday when Williams shut down pinball the day after Expo.

#18 7 years ago

There is definitely some weight to what you're trying to say, but keep in mind that things have probably been much worse. I would imagine that in the late 1990s, when pins weren't flying off the shelves, that a lot of things at Bally/Williams flew under the radar because Pinside didn't exist - and the enthusiast market basically didn't either. At least we have other manufacturers making pins even if it is taking a little longer than expected. You completely forgot to mention anything positive like the fact that we've had more new pins available to purchase last year than probably any previous year for 40 years. It seems to me Pinside can be like when a plane crashes - it happens rarely, but, when it does, everyone knows about it.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

besides we all know 1999 is the year that lives on in Pinball Infamy. Black monday when Williams shut down pinball the day after Expo.

In the pinball world I am a nobody, but I can still say "I was there" when this all started to fall apart. Attended Expo '99 by myself and didn't know anyone there. I (personally) at the time thought that PB2K was going to be the salvation of the industry and I excitedly attended the infamous Gomez "Ninjas from the ceiling" seminar. I remember calling my wife afterwards and telling her about this crazy seminar I just walked out of, where the guy that invented PB2K was telling everyone he thought WMS would close. How crazy was that! Clearly if there was going to be any closing it would be Stern which was just limping along at that point. How wrong I was...

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from viper001:

In the pinball world I am a nobody, but I can still say "I was there" when this all started to fall apart. Attended Expo '99 by myself and didn't know anyone there.

Hmmm...did 99 have Episode 1 in the tournament? This that was the only year I've been...picked a doozie.

#21 7 years ago

Lots of issues from companies. Meanwhile spooky just plugs along killing it and showing people how it's done with every facet of their company.

Go spooky go

#22 7 years ago

2016 will also go down as the year when someone decided a great art theme for a new pin should be a man in jeans holding a cellphone in the air

#23 7 years ago

Rumor has it that Gottlieb had a similar prototype theme in the 70's but they couldn't secure the license...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Rumor has it that Gottlieb had a similar prototype theme in the 70's but they couldn't secure the license...

Could have almost had Art Stenholm do the artwork but most limely it would have had to be Gordon Morrison.....

Added over 7 years ago: Likely, not limely..

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm...did 99 have Episode 1 in the tournament? This that was the only year I've been...picked a doozie.

Yep, I believe that is correct. I remember the WMS engineers were working on getting the networked scoring working during the tournament.

#26 7 years ago

I doubt it will "go in infamy" since that is not the phrase.

"Live in infamy" or "go down in infamy" are in common parlance.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-the-year-that-will-go-in-pinball-infamy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.