(Topic ID: 154724)

2016 Rocky Mtn Pinball Showdown June 10-12 - Ghostbusters PREMIUM World Premiere

By dnikolich

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-06-10_22.00.47_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-11_14.30.47_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-12_10.01.30_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    FULLTh_005_(resized).JPG
    20160610_111634_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    20160609_191906_(resized).jpg
    20160608_203615_(resized).jpg
    GB_Premium_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Andrew_Heighway_RMPS_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Jim_Schelberg_(resized).png
    th_(resized).jpg
    There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 7 years ago

Pin a gogo had cards made this year that said Don't be a Pinball Hog with basic etiquette rules printed on them.

They worked great, hogs down 99%

#252 7 years ago
    Quoted from canoncitypb:

I was hoping for more vendors with books, magazines, cool shirts, pinball parts etc. I brought a lot of money, but spent very little. Hopefully next year people will take the opportunity to make some money selling more stuff at the show.
    Overall, great show, great people. We had a good time with Lisa and Ryan from Fort Collins. Congrats on your championship Lisa!
    If you guys are out there, PM me so we can get together at Lyons sometime.

Just to comment as a vendor. This was a weird show for us for bulb/led sales. TRansaction count was about where we normally see it for shows we go to, but dollar amount much lower. We did more transactions of 5 or less bulbs ever, by almost double. Not complaining, just commenting.

We also sold more of our MVP mini pins than other shows. I got the vibe this crowd was more of your "general population" crowd rather than the "pinball hobbyist" crowd. Perhaps this is also evident in some comments above about the "pinball etiquette" . We also helped more people get games started on STTNG than normal as well, for example.

It definitely seems like a tougher show to make any money or recoup costs for vendors to come. It's incredibly expensive to travel to a show with a booth full of parts. After shipping all parts/booth items, flights, hotels, food, workers it adds up fast. It's also a ton of work and tiring to be in there for the entire day so I think Vendors really pick and choose their shows carefully.

On the rant side of it I got asked more than ever..."Is your XYZ led competitor here?" I have to admit, I really hate that question and find it rude and weird to be asked that.

Overall: I loved this show. The venue is great. Too bad it was 97 outside and AC had troubles on Saturday keeping up. That aside, the atmosphere is very low key and chill. The food/drinks inside the venue itself is so awesome. The cleaning lady commented this was one of the cleaner shows for people leaving beer bottles around etc, so hooray to the pinball crowd! I really like the mix of rooms and how it's all in close proximity and the hotel is attached. The food from their restaurant is good as well, imo. Dan and crew who organize the show just killed it. Things went so smoothly it's fairly incredible how they pull it off. The venue workers are also some of the best I've come across from shows we've done. I know it seems silly, but things like getting Company banner hung up was a breeze. Normally, this is a tricky task with lots of mixed answers. I simply gave it to Dan and it was done.

#253 7 years ago

Had a great time at the show
    Huge thanks to everyone who brought games!
    brought some games for the first time, really cool to watch people enjoy them; that feeling far outweighs the effort/stress associated with it
    Ryan did a great job running the tournaments. Very time consuming and stressful job but he willed it into a well run event

Our show is a bit smaller than some of the other ones but still great to enjoy the hobby with the local crew

#254 7 years ago

It was my first RMPS. I didn't have a frame of reference on the vendors. I thought the amount of vendors seemed about right for the size of the show and made it a point to buy some stuff from them. I definitely want them to return.

I love the Spooky work shirt. I picked one up from DD and added a This Flippin Podcast patch from Tilt Hammer to put on it. Im hoping other shows do patches so I can add to the shirt.

#255 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

We also sold more of our MVP mini pins than other shows. I got the vibe this crowd was more of your "general population" crowd rather than the "pinball hobbyist" crowd. Perhaps this is also evident in some comments above about the "pinball etiquette" .

I guess I view that as a double edged sword. Myself being a "hobbyist" I order ridiculous amounts of LEDs online from you and others but I do it all online when I need and I am just an online shopper by nature. I obviously saw you all at the show and other than stopping to check out the MVP mini game which was way cool, I just don't need to buy LEDs while I'm there. I guess my point being I appreciate vendors being there but unless it is something I know I can't get online I just don't do much with LED/part vendors when I am at shows.

I'm sure everyone has different opinions on this even if they are "hobbyists" and I think the draw for the vendors is maybe people that are newer to the hobby or casual 1-2 game owners that haven't used many LEDs before. I think if anything I appreciate you supporting our local show so I'll try and send more business your way in the future!

#256 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Wow, what a great weekend! I had a great time from the moment I got there until I sleepily boarded my plane to fly back home. I was able to win two tournaments and had a couple of second place finishes. I reconnected with good friends from the hobby and met a lot of new people. HUGE thanks to JJ and the McCarthy family for being ht backbone of the games at show. Between Game Exchange and the McCarthys, we had 60+ games on the floor. Amazing.
    I'll create a blog post on the podcast site for my show highs and lows, but here's a few games I particularly enjoyed: Ryan Grant's customized Black Knight, GB premium, Af-Tor, Rob Zombie, GoT, Viking, Baseball, Barracora, TWD, and GNR.

I voted for Guns N Roses for best DMD/modern game, my son agreed as well. It was gorgeous.

#257 7 years ago
    Quoted from vintageclub:

I voted for Guns N Roses for best DMD/modern game, my son agreed as well. It was gorgeous.

how did the voting work? I did not cast a vote for anything. is there a list of winners anywhere?

#258 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

how did the voting work? I did not cast a vote for anything. is there a list of winners anywhere?

Martin posted the winners on PinballNews.com last year, so I can assume he'll do the same this year. It usually takes a week after each show before he has ALL the info posted.

#259 7 years ago

This was my 4th year at RMPS. I miss the Sheraton venue. I miss it being in April. I had fun, but just not as much as in years past. I've always viewed RMPS as a pinball show, and I know they're trying to bring arcade games more into the mix, evident by arcade games sharing the same room as pins . But I don't dig the console gaming aspect at all, and all three of those rooms were mostly vacant on Friday. If RMPS is to progress towards being more of a classic gaming expo, I suggest looking towards how Zapcon is ran, that show is awesome and there is a HUGE sense of community amongst collectors down there. Wish RMPS would remain pin oriented, but times change I guess... And getting kicked out at 10pm this year sucked. I'm all for contributors gaining early access the day before and before the doors open on Friday, but if I'm staying in the hotel, I'd like to be enjoying the pins until the wee hours of the morning. Take this with a grain of salt, it's just one man's opinions.

#260 7 years ago

I voted for you as the 2nd coolest NeoGeo player at the show since you got whooped on your own game.

#261 7 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I guess I view that as a double edged sword. Myself being a "hobbyist" I order ridiculous amounts of LEDs online from you and others but I do it all online when I need and I am just an online shopper by nature. I obviously saw you all at the show and other than stopping to check out the MVP mini game which was way cool, I just don't need to buy LEDs while I'm there. I guess my point being I appreciate vendors being there but unless it is something I know I can't get online I just don't do much with LED/part vendors when I am at shows.
    I'm sure everyone has different opinions on this even if they are "hobbyists" and I think the draw for the vendors is maybe people that are newer to the hobby or casual 1-2 game owners that haven't used many LEDs before. I think if anything I appreciate you supporting our local show so I'll try and send more business your way in the future!

I fully agree with you on this btw. For us, when we go to shows, we don't expect to make money usually with all the huge costs of traveling. We got a lot of "we didn't know you existed" - which is awesome, right? Shows help us(and all vendors) get their name out there and keep going.

Based on experience from other shows I still would say it's more of your new to pinball folks or general population crowd. Not a bad or good thing, just a simple observation. It was also evident how many times we were asked " What are these?" And when our reply was "leds for pinball machines" we got the reply of "wow so they can have leds too?"...All while they were playing STTNG and POTC in our booth with leds. I enjoy those questions, gets people into pinballs, into leds and into this whole world, its fun!

My reply you replied to was about folks commenting on not enough vendors btw

#262 7 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I think if anything I appreciate you supporting our local show so I'll try and send more business your way in the future!

My feeling exactly.

#263 7 years ago
    Quoted from vintageclub:

Thank you. We brought the GnR. Glad you enjoyed it

#264 7 years ago

I would like to have hours beyond 10pm on Friday. Same reason, I was staying at the hotel. 10pm seemed early. Saturday was open until 12AM for general admission. That was great! Sunday I had to fly home so I only had a little time. That was on me. Overall, the show was very nice.

#265 7 years ago

I had a great time at the show. I will try and return next year as well. would have thought there would have been a vendor or two with new parts as well, if nothing else to keep the games there up and running for those weird instances of my flipper coil burned out/warped and I want to get my machine back up and running. I tried to remember what I thought I might need for some backstock for LEDs so I could buy something from the pinball bulbs people, but the only thing I could think of was a homer head bulb, and I couldn't remember what socket it was, let alone the fact that it needed to be a higher voltage. please come back next year, I will definitely be picking some up from you. I brought my arcade machine (arkanoid) fearing that my old pins wouldn't make it thru the show, But I may try and fast track my re-theme. I enjoyed the seminars that I sat in on, and it was a little weird putting faces to the pinball podcast guys.

#266 7 years ago

Gun and Roses won big with three or 4 ribbons and rightly so but I got the First place Blue Ribbon for Best Of Modern Pinball with my Cirqus Voltaire with the prototype Color DMD at this years show.

#267 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

Gun and Roses won big with three or 4 ribbons and rightly so but I got the First place Blue Ribbon for Best Of Modern Pinball with my Cirqus Voltaire with the prototype Color DMD at this years show.

It was good meeting you, Tim. Thanks for bringing both of the games you brought.

#268 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It was good meeting you, Tim. Thanks for bringing both of the games you brought.

Nice meeting you too and for everyone that voted for CV. I have had pins for several years and have never gone to a show but it was worth the time and effort seeing everyone playing my CV. I thought there would have been more classic 90's Bally pins that were not there like, TOM, AFM, TZ, MB, SS and not two Mystery Castles.

#269 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

I got the First place Blue Ribbon for Best Of Modern Pinball with my Cirqus Voltaire with the prototype Color DMD at this years show.

It survived the machine gunner with flying colors, Tim. Good for you, it's a nice machine.

#270 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

That display looked really nice!

#271 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

I thought there would have been more classic 90's Bally pins that were not there like, TOM, AFM, TZ, MB, SS and not two Mystery Castles.

I wonder if that was coincidence, or just that people think they're doing a better service to the community by bringing more rare games? All of those 90's pins you mentioned are available to play in several public locations along the front range.

#272 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

Cirqus Voltaire with the prototype Color DMD

The color DMD games were great. An incredible improvement.

#273 7 years ago
    Quoted from canoncitypb:

The color DMD games were great. An incredible improvement.

That color LED Color DMD used in CV was much brighter than an LCD and popped and looked more traditional with dots and no blending will be available since it is a LED. The said they are to release it later this month but would not give me pricing. CV was a diehard and never went down but it had an issue with balls getting stuck under a broken plastic which I sort of fixed by bending it up out of the way.

#274 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I wonder if that was coincidence, or just that people think they're doing a better service to the community by bringing more rare games? All of those 90's pins you mentioned are available to play in several public locations along the front range.

I think a coincidence since it was a smaller show then some back east.

#275 7 years ago

Where was ECTO-1??

I was really looking forward to seeing it.

#276 7 years ago

Dan, Holly, Ryan and their staff KILLED it this year. Easy to navigate, all the details were nailed making the show a breeze to enjoy. I was SHOCKED that Kevin brought 29 games, kept them all running and still had time to win third place in the open tournament! He gets huge props. Vendors were split between this and SFGE, but I'm glad we have PinballBulbs, For Amusement Only, Double Danger and Tilt Hammer on hand, as well as others.

I'm not into playing arcades at pinball shows, but even I tried some of the weirder looking japanese arcade games at the show. And I played a little Donkey Kong Country on the Wii when I needed to sit down.

We brought nine games and were exhausted by the time we finally had them packed up! Asked Dan if he needed any more help, but we were pretty weak in the knees at that point. Ate something and they were all done when we returned. Feel bad about skipping out on him like that. Next year, we'll need to recruit some more help so we can help more!

Fun seeing old friends and meeting new friends. JJ's meetup was fun, chatting about GB and highlights of the show. RMPS always has some gorgeous machines, and I saw very few games turned off this year! Less than any other show I've ever been to! My NASCAR was on and off constantly. After fixing it for the third time, I gave up with five hours left on Sunday. It was a heavily routed game I recently grabbed and I guess it wasn't ready to come out of retirement yet.

Thanks to everyone for supporting the show. With you, these things don't happen!

#277 7 years ago
    Quoted from canoncitypb:

I loved the Old Chicago. My wife kicked my butt numerous times. Such a unique playfield is hard to master. I was thinking the game might be a little more balanced scoring wise if there was a lane change on the top rollover. It seems that either you get the 3 thousand and go ahead or you miss it and fall behind.
    I must have played it 20 times. Thanks for bringing it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

Worked it out a few months ago to buy OC at the show. Glad you liked it, and REALLY GLAD I liked it once I saw it in person. Set it up last night because my kids couldn't wait to see the 'new pinball'. Awesome layout!

#278 7 years ago

Thanks so much for taking some time out to be a scorekeeper for the tournament - much appreciated!

#279 7 years ago

I also got a taste for how much hard work goes into a show like this for the first time bringing 5 games out, and 3 back. Unbelievable! Thankfully, I got some much needed unloading and setting up help from Don and Brandon. This stuff isn't easy when you're in your mid-40's and weigh half as much as the games.

Rollergames came home with 461 plays on the audit trail and Rocked and Rollergame'd all weekend without a hiccup! Now it needs that shop job I've been putting off. It will probably be back next year even newer and shinier than this year.

Thanks to Dan and Holly as well for all they do. It's always a great time.

#280 7 years ago

Next year my thoughts are I might need to bring some parts with me too. In past years there have been enough parts it didn't make sense. Overall I'm not sure it would be worth it and might be hard to do if I'm trying to manage the 32 games, Plus if I'm doing the Stream.

Will see. We also really are not equipped for on location sales but that's easier to solve.

Maybe I just do pre orders and bring order for people to pickup will call style.. thats easy to do and I could make a posting a week or two out.

JJ

#281 7 years ago

JJ your presence and all of your games was much appreciated. I missed the meet and greet cause my son needed some down time, but thanks for getting him a badge anyway.

#282 7 years ago

We had a great time showing off the P3. Having (and swapping between) both Lexy Lightspeed and Cannon Lagoon made it easy for people to understand our full vision, and the amazing reactions and support we saw were incredible. Many remembered the concept machine we had at the show 3 years ago; it was great to see everybody again.

Thanks to Dan and Holly for putting on an incredibly well-run and enjoyable show.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

2016-06-12_10.01.30_(resized).jpg2016-06-12_10.01.30_(resized).jpg

2016-06-11_14.30.47_(resized).jpg2016-06-11_14.30.47_(resized).jpg

2016-06-10_22.00.47_(resized).jpg2016-06-10_22.00.47_(resized).jpg

#283 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm trying to manage the 32 games

Really appreciate the effort I would imagine a very different show without those games. Thanks also for the pinside meetup.

I really enjoyed the show. It was well organized a nice group of machines and really enjoyed the speaker line up. Thanks to everyone who brought machines and helped support the show.

#284 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Overall I'm not sure it would be worth it and might be hard to do if I'm trying to manage the 32 games, Plus if I'm doing the Stream.

Hey JJ, I didn't get a chance to thank you at the show. Having you guys there is huge and much appreciated. Hope to see you every year!!!

#285 7 years ago

super fun show!! I feel like people at this show are always so friendly and cordial. Can't wait till next year!!

#286 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Next year my thoughts are I might need to bring some parts with me too. In past years there have been enough parts it didn't make sense. Overall I'm not sure it would be worth it and might be hard to do if I'm trying to manage the 32 games, Plus if I'm doing the Stream.
    Will see. We also really are not equipped for on location sales but that's easier to solve.
    Maybe I just do pre orders and bring order for people to pickup will call style.. thats easy to do and I could make a posting a week or two out.
    JJ

I didn't even know you stocked parts. Have you thought about selling online? Most of my parts dollars go out of state to the Pinballife, Marco, etc. I'd rather support the local economy. Thanks again for bringing all the games - it would not be the same show without your support.

#287 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I didn't even know you stocked parts. Have you thought about selling online? Most of my parts dollars go out of state to the Pinballife, Marco, etc. I'd rather support the local economy. Thanks again for bringing all the games - it would not be the same show without your support.

Moving online on parts is a gigantic task for us because our inventory control systems are not integrated for Online and On site. Some day I would like to get there.

Secondly, many of our parts are bought from the same place you guys buy them at the same price, plus markup so I cannot compete for online sales vs Marco and PBL. But we stock alot of parts and if you call during the week and have them put in will call you can even pick up on Saturday.

Stop by some time, I would be more then happy to give you a tour of our place so you can see.

JJ

#288 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Stop by some time, I would be more then happy to give you a tour of our place so you can see.

I'm still not allowed anywhere near the place though, right?

#289 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I'm still not allowed anywhere near the place though, right?

Ha I guess you can come! but I'm keeping my Squirt bottle handy!

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-rocky-mtn-pinball-showdown-june-10-12/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.