image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 926 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 19.
#801 7 years ago

I was there when Steve Richie came by and asked if he could play a game of Total Annihilation. I believe he liked it.
Wally

#802 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

One of the best parts was watching people play the game ,or play in groups and watching people bob their heads or kind of dance while playing

Scott is a man of many talents, soundtrack to his own pin? Check!

#803 7 years ago

The homebrew games at Expo this year looked phenomenal (at least from the pics).

If I was a budding young pinball manufacturer, id be wandering the hombrew aisles handing out my business card.

#804 7 years ago

Project Pinball was blown away by the Stern Batman 66, we decided to raffle off a second Premium machine! Enter today: https://go.rallyup.com/projectpinball-batman66

#805 7 years ago

Gotta say, my only disappointment was Sterns display. In the past, their vendor hall display was pretty cool. This year, it was pretty blah.

#806 7 years ago

Thanks Brett, another great Expo Trip Report Thread. +1

!nam ed uoY
.stsop ruoy etaicerppa syawlA

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Gotta say, my only disappointment was Sterns display. In the past, their vendor hall display was pretty cool. This year, it was pretty blah.

What was the deal? I went last year and they had 4 GOTs, 4 Kisses, which were their two newest games, and 2 Whoa Nellies. Did they not bring as many games?

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What was the deal? I went last year and they had 4 GOTs, 4 Kisses, which were their two newest games, and 2 Whoa Nellies. Did they not bring as many games?

They made all this fuss about wanting the whole back wall, apparently they threw a fit and threatened to pull the tour if Mike didn't move people, so I was expecting something big compared to last year. They had the 3 Batman games roped off, and then a handful of titles you could play, and GOT wasn't even amongst them. It was weird. No Stern people, all utterly unmanned as far as I could tell. I guess they thought the party was enough, because their show presence felt diminished compared to usual.

Like last year they set up all those scaffolding and banners, this year it was just games against the back wall.

#810 7 years ago

what he said ^^

#811 7 years ago

Sorry. Had pics stuck there and fucked up.

Back again.

I'm chatting with Andrew about lighting and bulbs, the product he is planning on using in
GI was one I hadn't seen before, in this form.
It's simple, and ingenous, and if it comes off as
planned, it's a more Robust Lighting than any game on market.
A neat trick. that will set the mood and modes
brighter then before.

#812 7 years ago

Lucky that was the g rated pics!

Posting on pinside by phone sucks!

#813 7 years ago

What a Great expo this year! Really enjoyed seeing everyone. Wasn't any drama that I saw. Just fun chilling and playing pinball! Some Wacko was running around eating People in a Trex Costume though... Weirdo

See you all next year!

JJ

#814 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They made all this fuss about wanting the whole back wall, apparently they threw a fit and threatened to pull the tour if Mike didn't move people, so I was expecting something big compared to last year. They had the 3 Batman games roped off, and then a handful of titles you could play, and GOT wasn't even amongst them. It was weird. No Stern people, all utterly unmanned as far as I could tell. I guess they thought the party was enough, because their show presence felt diminished compared to usual.
Like last year they set up all those scaffolding and banners, this year it was just games against the back wall.

Yeah, when I saw the VR headset sitting there, I wanted to try it out....but unmanned (peak time Thursday night) and I could not find anyone to show me how to start a game.

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I'm chatting with Andrew about lighting and bulbs, the product he is planning on using in
GI was one I hadn't seen before, in this form.

Oh, so glad to hear that, I'm smacking my forehead right now for not thinking to get the two of you chatting about that!

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

watching people bob their heads or kind of dance while playing .

Pics / Videos or it didn't happen.

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

It did happen! I'm still bouncing from it 2days later. That sub was awesome!

#819 7 years ago

Dino kicked Penguins butt in expo death match!

Not sure you knew JJ, but the kids
we're all over you being there!

#820 7 years ago

Thanks Brett for all the pics, So much drinking this past weekend, I forgot what all I did.

#821 7 years ago

Does anyon remember what game was to the left of spirit?

#822 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Bangerjay has a picture of me doing the worm . I've been told that my pictures are horrible and I should not post them . I'm going to post this one of the underside of Scotts game anyways , it's probably not going to make you want to bob your head up and down but it may make your head spin .

20161014_223940 (resized).jpg20161014_223940 (resized).jpg

#823 7 years ago

WOW!

Don't know what was next to SpIrit, but I'd love a Spirit after playing!
I believe the owner was Ed Combs?
Any info on this game/title?

#824 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Does anyon remember what game was to the left of spirit?

Warlok

Phoebe

#825 7 years ago
#826 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

WOW!

Owner is Mark Combs from Cincy.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2292

Phoebe

#828 7 years ago

Thanks. Did it have an overlay or was that the original art?

#829 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

WOW!

Pretty sure that was Mark Combs. He is in the cincy pinball group and he along with another cincy pinball member Rob Hoffman they restored the game from the ground up. Did it this past year. The game is tons of fun. So glad I finally got to play one and in that nice of condition to boot!

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Original.

#831 7 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Thanks Brett for all the pics, So much drinking this past weekend, I forgot what all I did.

i'll sell ya the pics

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

... fewer games in free play than the last two years. I could be wrong, but that's what it seemed like to me.

We had 48 more games than last year, if you want to pull out Rob and Mike's games it brings it to 24 more than last year.

2nd largest turnout in the time I have been involved in the show.

Glad you could attend! It was great seeing everyone.

Andrew

#833 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

There weren't any Spooky or PPS/CGC presentations

Spooky was in a seminar, and brought a Domino's, though if you attended before Thursday it could have been missed.

Thanks for bringing a game Charlie!

Andrew

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I think the Batman booth was setup and run by Kapow not Stern.

#835 7 years ago

Flame suit on, but this expo has me seriously doubting I will be back next year, breaking a 15 or so year run. By Sat afternoon the free play hall was half enpty - again. Classic 90s titles nowhere to be found - TAF, TZ, SS, MB, STTNG, among others. The whole vibe just seemed off. Spent most of Sat watching football in the room with the rest of the disappointed crew that made the trip with me. Felt like nothing but a money grab. Ive seen enough 8 and 9k game reveals now, thanks. I'll go to the Milwaukee Gaming Classic instead.

#836 7 years ago
Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

Spooky was in a seminar, and brought a Domino's, though if you attended before Thursday it could have been missed.

Super snarky. I like it

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Flame suit on, but this expo has me seriously doubting I will be back next year, breaking a 15 or so year run. By Sat afternoon the free play hall was half enpty - again. Classic 90s titles nowhere to be found - TAF, TZ, SS, MB, STTNG, among others. The whole vibe just seemed off. Spent most of Sat watching football in the room with the rest of the disappointed crew that made the trip with me. Felt like nothing but a money grab. Ive seen enough 8 and 9k game reveals now, thanks. I'll go to the Milwaukee Gaming Classic instead.

Honestly if you're going to Expo to play games it's not a great show. The industry part is the draw, lots of shows have way better game selection. Much love to everyone who brought games, but I only played them at 3am when there wasn't anything else going on.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

My agreement here is when a family of 4 pays $120 to come in at 4pm on Saturday and half the free play room is gone. That is quite disappointing and could potentially turn someone off on future visits. But, that is not my scenario.

My wife and I came Friday night, got there right after the buses left for the Stern Party. We walked right in and started playing Dialed In. Stayed until 11pm or so. Enjoyed the free play room, got to check out the Alien machines while they were in that back meeting room without any crowds. Played all the Sterns on the back wall. Pizza with JJP....we had a good time.

#839 7 years ago

Anyone who is buying a stern at 15k is beyond dumb. Just because you can afford it doesn't make it worth it. If stern sold you a $10 bill for $100, you'd buy it.

#840 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Anyone who is buying a stern at 15k is beyond dumb. Just because you can afford it doesn't make it worth it. If stern sold you a $10 bill for $100, you'd buy it.

Valid point, but I spent 40 years watching guys buy polished Rocks for much more,
in the hopes of more happiness!

#841 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Friday night, got there right after the buses left for the Stern Party. We walked right in and started playing Dialed In. Stayed until 11pm or so. Enjoyed the free play room, got to check out the Alien machines while they were in that back meeting room without any crowds. Played all the Sterns on the back wall. Pizza with JJP....we had a good time.

+1

#842 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you check the other Expo thread where people posted their crazy picks you'll see what positives Expo has. It's in the vendor hall playing the new games, joking around with people that make pinball machines. I wish I could have been there every day after reading that thread. It looked like so much fun.

I went last year expecting something better than Louisville Arcade Expo. The game room isn't that good when compared but access to just released games and being able to meet pin makers is very cool. You just have to realize what kind of show Expo is and adjust your expectations accordingly.

#843 7 years ago

IMG_6785 (resized).JPGIMG_6785 (resized).JPG

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Not sure which one you mean...
The Warlok is mine and it is the original PF, I don't do overlays. I did the PF several years ago and finally got it back together last year. It was in Classics last year at Expo.
Spirit was also original PF. I did the PF for him a year or so ago. Then he and Rob Hoffman put it back together this past Winter and Spring.

Phoebe

#845 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

LOL - I might even buy two...one to hang on my wall and one to keep in reserve

#846 7 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Not sure which one you mean...
The Warlok is mine and it is the original PF, I don't do overlays. I did the PF several years ago and finally got it back together last year. It was in Classics last year at Expo.
Spirit was also original PF. I did the PF for him a year or so ago. Then he and Rob Hoffman put it back together this past Winter and Spring.
Phoebe

I was referring to the Warlock. The art looked so good I assumed it was not original! Nice job.

p.s. I hate you also as I now have another game to add to the ISO list

#847 7 years ago

both warlock and spirit looked and played beautifully (the playfields were smooth like butter and game play on both machines was dialed in to perfection (no pun intended)

thanks to both of you to sharing your collections once again.

phoebe:
if you would only take the time to tweak your joust to play a little better

#848 7 years ago

I was playing Vortex and it seemed really familiar... then I realized it was a copy of Black-Out. Later I played Warlok and realized that Warlok is a close copy of Black-Out too! Too bad there wasn't a Black-Out ant the show. It would be cool to line them up together.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I was playing Vortex and it seemed really familiar... then I realized it was a copy of Black-Out. Later I played Warlok and realized that Warlok is a close copy of Black-Out too! Too bad there wasn't a Black-Out ant the show. It would be cool to line them up together.

And Blackout is just an on-purpose copy of Flash (minus the cross-playfield plunger shot). So you need all 4 there. Maybe Skateball too, for completeness' sake.

#850 7 years ago

Wow! They got a lot of mileage out of Steve Richie's original design.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 926 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-pinball-expo-trip-report/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.