Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170218_205732 (resized).jpg
    Ricky-Gervais-001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
    16602682_1507572205927901_4718444041947920290_n (resized).jpg
    IFPA ND state champion Dan Stephney (resized).jpg
    Fargo Marge (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpg
    LA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

I'm planning on...um...nothing. I couldn't attend enough events this year to qualify, and going to Nationals pooched my primary opportunity to get enough points to even be in the running. \_(0_0)_/

3 weeks later
    #48 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Also, first time qualifier here in Texas. Looking forward to giving this a try.

Better enjoy it while you can.. 2017 going to be a very different year...

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Only if they limit per location events a year. Otherwise will be the same ol same ol.

Not exactly sure what you're referring to.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

curious as to why 2017 will be different? are the new WPPR rules going to be significantly changed? i couldnt find a read me for 5.3
    edit: found it here: https://www.ifpapinball.com/wppr-formula-change-to-v5-3-for-2017/

For TX, specifically, not overall.

2 weeks later
    #68 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

you could be headed to Vegas afterwards!

Pretty sure it's Dallas this year...

The irony of this is I could MAYBE snag a spot in Nevada SCS, but I can't currently seem to find a way to get the day off for it and get there and back for a reasonable price. /sigh

#70 7 years ago

I'm kinda stuck here either way.

1 week later
    #76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

and a former Texas State Champ.

Oh? Who's that?

*Edit* Preston?

2 weeks later
    #78 7 years ago

All of dallas eliminated in round 1.....you guys sure know how to motivate me to take no prisoners this year and get back in..

*Edit* I love that a guy who consistently claims he doesn't play well took out Josh Henderson. LOL...Texas: Where pro players come to die.

#86 7 years ago

Fairly certain Colin won TX. Again. Boring. Seemed like there was a good throwdown that second round..

#91 7 years ago

Ha, that's awesome.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lol, 1 Stern and it is CSI.

I offered up my personal Metallica months ago... I live like 5 miles from the place.

#138 7 years ago

I'll just throw this out there...if anyone is eligible for Nationals and wants to come but doesn't want to pay for a hotel, I could theoretically let someone couchsurf for a few days. Assuming my schedule doesn't change I will be off work on Thursday March 16th anyways.

Quoted from Xerico:

How is the "veto" power going to work? One veto per round? Veto power every game in a match?
    Marcus

You didn't read the rest of his post, did you?

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

LOL that's the first thing I thought
    Marcus - the games are currently FOR SALE. If I go in tomorrow and offer Craig $8995 for the CSI . . . that CSI isn't going to be in Nationals anymore because it'll be in my basement

You should buy it. Last time I was there I played it basically the entire time....it was easily the best playing game in the whole place by about a million miles other than the WWE or whatever it was that they were having a launch party for. Found out I actually kind of like CSI...centrifuge is fun.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Do you know him well enough to reach out regarding Metallica?

Um, honestly.. Craig and I don't get along, and I will not speak to him for any reason given the choice. I have him blocked both here and on facebook. If that means you can't use my Metallica, then so be it, but I have no desire to interact with him ever again. Frankly, I'm not sure when I first suggested it, that he had been hired on there yet. I'm glad the guy got a job doing something he likes, as he had lost his prior job that he had been doing for quite a while, but......yeah.

If there's just about any way around it other than me talking directly to Craig.... I've had more than enough of being berated by him in the past, thanks.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

Anyone local want to show us their private collection?

I'd love to meet some out of state people. We live in Richardson at 635/75. I have Metallica, Crescendo, Farfalla, Xenon, or there's Nickelrama in Garland which has every major stern release from the last few years minus avengers.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

is there a spectator area with monitors

Assume no. I don't know how much rearranging FUN is going to do or where the games will be, but they've had one or two Stern launch parties at their place, and with 30-40 people it gets crowded. It's a retail showroom, not an arcade. Will probably be more manageable than what I remember because when they did those, they had all their games in front turned on and playable so there was a LOT of people moving from game to game complicating things.

I really wouldn't expect any kind of recording rigs or monitors. Nobody in D/FW has that stuff and unless they've got someone from Austin coming up with all of it, or IFPA is bringing something... FUN has security cameras?

*edit* I can compare to PHOF, since I was there this year... It won't feel as "cramped" as Vegas, but overall it's a smaller space from my perception, and things like pool tables take up a lot of floor room. I think it will feel more open than PHOF for the players, for anyone that's been there, just not obviously all the tons of games for spectators to play and wander around in.....I wanted to drop in Thurs/Fri night just to check it out since I'm local, but might not depending on what the setup is. I don't want to get in the way. :\

2 weeks later
    #173 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

We are planning to go to Nickelrama on Wednesday afternoon (March 15). Would love to meet up with other players.
    Dwayne & Aviana

I'm off work on Wednesdays, and we typically have league night on wednesdays....dunno if we can efficiently handle a lot of extra players, or if finals will fall on that wednesday yet... Xerico ?

They just got Aerosmith.

1 week later
    #247 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

. I talked to a few people who competed and they said that the games felt like low attention route games.

Par for the course for games that FUN sells... caveat emptor.

Quoted from Whysnow:The guy uses a head lamp to help him see/ play better.

Do you make fun of the guys wearing headphones to help them play better. What about the guys wearing gloves.

No, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to play NEXT to someone doing that... talk about distracting as hell! Imagine also the guy forgets to turn the stupid thing off, turns around and you're right behind him and get blindsided, literally, just as you're having to play? Things like coaching aren't allowed in most tournaments, why should that be? Can I start demanding that I need the glass removed in order to be able to see the playfield better, or that other competitors need to be wearing glasses because I do? Where does it stop?

Seems totally ludicrous. Unless the guy REQUIRES that getup to be able to see, I wouldn't allow that in any tournament I run.

#261 7 years ago

The reason why I specifically said "if he needs it to play" is because I know a guy that played the MMO that I played for 10+ years that was effectively blind. Legally.....he was. But he could see enough that if he sat with his face less than a foot from the screen, he was one of the best and most skilled PK's in the game. Did I make fun of him when I met him and saw how he played? Hell no. He had a legitimate reason to be sitting like that.

If the guy is mindful with his light, then fine...whatever. I just find it odd that someone would choose to do that for any reason other than compensating for some kind of disability, but then again, I don't understand why people kick their legs all crazy like when playing either! I'm not going to speak for the commenters on the webcast, because I wasn't there, I wasn't listening to it and still haven't heard it, and frankly, I'm not obligated to worry about comes out of other people's mouths aside from my kids.. I wasn't making fun of him, I'm still not. I'm just saying that in certain circumstances if he was not careful with it, it would bug me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-ifpa-scs-thread?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.