Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170218_205732 (resized).jpg
    Ricky-Gervais-001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
    16602682_1507572205927901_4718444041947920290_n (resized).jpg
    IFPA ND state champion Dan Stephney (resized).jpg
    Fargo Marge (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpg
    LA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

If you have 8 games and 16 players people should never be waiting (long anyway). Plan out in advance so the winners bracket and losers side play four different games in the second round to avoid over lap.

Unfortunately, scs allows waiting for games. That means in every round, you could have people waiting on the exact same games. Makes for a very long day in most cases.

#24 7 years ago

I fully understand and respect the wait all day policy. Just mentioning that people should prepare for a LONG day.

I personally think there is a better compromise like every round starts at the exact same time and highest seed gets first pick and then down the line. Then reset for the next round of games.

Reality is now that game 1 round 1 could mean 8 groups all waiting on the same deck. Granted most players seem to want to play rather than wait. Feedback is that is makes for a prety long drag when you get the one or two people that insist to wait on every game.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I figured you would just send them out as "kits" by now.

seems like the right thing to do!

"Congrats, you won the state championship... Now put your stinking trophy together"

lol

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

7th in Colorado, should get the 6th seed if Trent doesnt play here (He is qualified in a bunch of states)
    Looking forward to state in my first year of competitive pinball
    we are playing at the 1up Colfax location that has 40+ machines, no EM's tho (unless you count PBR Can Crusher)
    I was looking forward to playing it at Lyons Classic Pinball as I like the variety there and typically play EMs really well, but they switched it to 1up Colfax this year. Not a big deal, they have a ton of great, well maintained machines.

good luck buddy.

I will likely end up 6th in WI also. Hoping we get an official announcment of location in the next week. We shift the host region each year and this year is Milwaukee crews chance. Sounds like they are hoping to host at a sweet private colleciton with no home field advantage.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Did I misunderstand the rules? I thought top seed picked the first game (or player position) then after that it was the loser of the previous game that got the choice.
    Also, first time qualifier here in Texas. Looking forward to giving this a try.

that is how it works.

Higher seed in a pairing gets to pick game or position.

EVERY pairing can hypothetically pick the exact same game.
    i.e. Round 1 and all 8 pairings could wait on TWD for the first game. Then all eight pairings could wait on STpro for game 2. so on and so forth.

In short, if it is your pick, you can wait to play any game for as long as it takes.

1 month later
    #85 7 years ago

David Daluga won WI

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Here's the tentative game list:
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournament_pages/pinmasters/games/
    While only 9 will be used for IFPA Pin-Masters, all 12 will be available for Nationals.
    Congrats to Aviana!

lol, 1 Stern and it is CSI.

Is nationals all about testing your knowledge of obscure or crappy games?

Is this list a joke and the real list gets published later?
    GTB Flip A Card
    Bally Monte Carlo
    WMS Big Deal
    WMS Gorgar
    Bally Lost World
    GTB Cleopatra
    WMS Whirlwind
    Bally Elvira
    WMS Road Kings
    Capcom Pinball Magic
    WMS Flintstones
    Stern CSI

edit: to add for those that dont know my taste in games/sarcasm. This is an awesome list from my perspective (could use some premiers, but that is another discussion), I am just amazed to see such a well rounded list which does not rely heavily on Sternament games. It will test the skill and strategy (lock stealing on some) of players, but also make for tough play to more junior players that done have experience or the ability to experience any of these games very often.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

LOL that's the first thing I thought
    Marcus - the games are currently FOR SALE. If I go in tomorrow and offer Craig $8995 for the CSI . . . that CSI isn't going to be in Nationals anymore because it'll be in my basement

Bring a wad of cash and negotiate a purchase when you are down after ball 2 on any game, lol.

#144 7 years ago

Is that considered a major malfunction?

#146 7 years ago

This was all an ellaborate ruse to sell more games for higher prices... I knew it!

4 weeks later
    #181 7 years ago

anyone know how/where to see the final standings for 2016 SCS.

my link on my PC auto updated to the 2017 standings, but I wanted to go back and look at some stats from previous WI SCS years (# of players, # of events, # of points to qualify, etc...). Yes I am a nerd.

#183 7 years ago

Thanks

For posterity:
    WI 2016
    121 events
    #1 seed was 226 points
    #16 seed was 84 points
    473 unique players

most events played by a single qualifier = 58
    least events played by a single qualifier = 8 (but did not attend; 25 for an attendee)

curious how 2015 and 2014 and 2013 size up

#186 7 years ago

sweet (thanks fellow data nerd)

WI 2015
    112 events
    #1 seed was 201 points
    #16 seed was 62 points (37 points actually got you in at 16th)
    447 unique players

most events played by a single qualifier = 51
    least events played by a single qualifier = 2 (but did not attend; 15 for an attendee)

#189 7 years ago

WI 2014
    73 events
    #1 seed was 147 points
    #16 seed was 36 points (20 points actually got you in at 16th)
    325 unique players

most events played by a single qualifier = 47
    least events played by a single qualifier = 2 (but did not attend; 12 for an attendee)

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

More than one a week. Whoa baby. I'd have weekly tournaments here if I had any confidence more than 5 people would show up. Haha

gotta start somewhere. I have found that if you do it (and make it fun) then they will come.

#193 7 years ago

WI 2013
    19 events
    #1 seed was 88 points
    #16 seed was 15 points (12? points actually got you in at 16th)
    193 unique players

most events played by a single qualifier = 15
    least events played by a single qualifier = 1 (but did not attend; 2 for an attendee)

#194 7 years ago

well that was fun!

thx Josh

pretty amazing.
    In 2013: you could hypothetically play 1 event and qualify. 88 points would give you the #1 seed. Only 19 events in total.
    In 2017: you would likely need at minimum 10 events to qualify. 100 points will be near the final top 16 cutoff. I predict ~140 events in WI this year.

#196 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is still the case in KY. Louisville has a regular scene now (weeklies and a monthly). Hoping to add NKY to the mix. at least 2 per month to start, then maybe weeklies eventually.
    hoping to have around 100 events per year for KY when we get NKY to catch up to what Louisville is doing.

just gotta do it my friend!

Seriously! Let me know if you need tips and help. Find one location with room for 4 games. That is all you need. Effort and inertia will take it from there!

Serious, pm me your # and I will call and lets chat.

#204 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No idea. Haha I just have my phone set to ping me when the stream starts.

cool.

you should bump here once your phone pings you

I dont have a phone to do that, lol

#207 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

+1
    I'm SO not going to be productive today. I would wait to watch it on youtube but I don't know if they will post it or not.

dont worry

everyone else at work is doing NCAA stuff

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

The bracket on the ifpapinball.com home page is a little more active.

thanks

#235 7 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I went out in the first round, losing to a guy with a flashlight strapped to his head. My humiliation knows no bounds.

The guy uses a head lamp to help him see/ play better.

Do you make fun of the guys wearing headphones to help them play better. What about the guys wearing gloves.

He beat you 4-1, maybe you should ask Sean for a few pointers next time rather than making fun of him online.
    I only point this out as on the stream I also heard the female commentator also refer to him as "the guy with a headlamp" in a condescending way. Pretty sad to see in a sport where we are all a bunch of nerds in a niche hobby with odd quirks, that even those lucky enough to compete on the national stage, make fun of their fellow competitors behind there backs on a live stream and then online.

Sean is a really fun and nice guy, if you can look beyond the headlamp (seriously, ask him to turn it off when he talks to you, it is blinding )

#254 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Par for the course for games that FUN sells... caveat emptor.

No, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to play NEXT to someone doing that... talk about distracting as hell! Imagine also the guy forgets to turn the stupid thing off, turns around and you're right behind him and get blindsided, literally, just as you're having to play? Things like coaching aren't allowed in most tournaments, why should that be? Can I start demanding that I need the glass removed in order to be able to see the playfield better, or that other competitors need to be wearing glasses because I do? Where does it stop?
    Seems totally ludicrous. Unless the guy REQUIRES that getup to be able to see, I wouldn't allow that in any tournament I run.

It was allowed in nationals and the guy even played an IFPA co-president/ founder/ whatever the Sharpes are.

Seems to me like it is allowed per current IFPA rules. I asked Sean about it and he said it helps him to see better. I trust that he needs it to play, just like others need gloves or headphones. If going by distractions, the guys clapping and yelling to themselves are more distracting for the majority of players I have found (I have been that guy before and try not to anymore as it is the cordial thing to do).

The bigger thing to me is the people making fun of him on the stream and online. Sad to do so and even hypocritical in the case of the stream where they were talking strongly about the support of one group of people and then in the same conversation making fun of the guy wearing a headlamp (or even more condescendingly the dude wearing a flashlight on his head). We are all in this together, trying to grow not just pinball, but competitive pinball. Treat him like a regular guy rather than talking smack behind his back and it is better for all of us and you may just find out he is a cool dude and a damn good player.

I have thought it could be a good tool to use, esp on dark games and to help maintain focus. Seems to work for him.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-ifpa-scs-thread?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.