Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170218_205732 (resized).jpg
    Ricky-Gervais-001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
    16602682_1507572205927901_4718444041947920290_n (resized).jpg
    IFPA ND state champion Dan Stephney (resized).jpg
    Fargo Marge (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpg
    LA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 7 years ago

Without a headlamp. Unbelievable!

#252 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Without a headlamp. Unbelievable!

#254 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Par for the course for games that FUN sells... caveat emptor.

No, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to play NEXT to someone doing that... talk about distracting as hell! Imagine also the guy forgets to turn the stupid thing off, turns around and you're right behind him and get blindsided, literally, just as you're having to play? Things like coaching aren't allowed in most tournaments, why should that be? Can I start demanding that I need the glass removed in order to be able to see the playfield better, or that other competitors need to be wearing glasses because I do? Where does it stop?
    Seems totally ludicrous. Unless the guy REQUIRES that getup to be able to see, I wouldn't allow that in any tournament I run.

It was allowed in nationals and the guy even played an IFPA co-president/ founder/ whatever the Sharpes are.

Seems to me like it is allowed per current IFPA rules. I asked Sean about it and he said it helps him to see better. I trust that he needs it to play, just like others need gloves or headphones. If going by distractions, the guys clapping and yelling to themselves are more distracting for the majority of players I have found (I have been that guy before and try not to anymore as it is the cordial thing to do).

The bigger thing to me is the people making fun of him on the stream and online. Sad to do so and even hypocritical in the case of the stream where they were talking strongly about the support of one group of people and then in the same conversation making fun of the guy wearing a headlamp (or even more condescendingly the dude wearing a flashlight on his head). We are all in this together, trying to grow not just pinball, but competitive pinball. Treat him like a regular guy rather than talking smack behind his back and it is better for all of us and you may just find out he is a cool dude and a damn good player.

I have thought it could be a good tool to use, esp on dark games and to help maintain focus. Seems to work for him.

#255 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If going by distractions, the guys clapping and yelling to themselves are more distracting for the majority of players I have found (I have been that guy before and try not to anymore as it is the cordial thing to do).

I agree with the point of your post completely, but this part is of course apples & oranges.

#256 7 years ago

I only wear sunglasses when I play. Screw headlamps.

#257 7 years ago

I need the sunglasses when the retina destroying super bright aftermarket LEDS are haphazardly strewn about a playfield when a proper cleaning under the inserts and new bulbs would suffice.

Quoted from TomGWI:

I only wear sunglasses when I play. Screw headlamps.

#258 7 years ago

I've played in tournaments with Sean. He's VERY mindful about the light. He doesn't turn it on until right before his plunge and turns it off before looking anywhere else. He plays a very head down style, so his light is contained. I've played right next to him and it didn't bother me at all. I'm more bugged by ULTRA SUPER BRIGHT EYE TORCHER FLASHER LEDs that often make their way into games these days than any light Sean has on his head.

Seriously though, play GoT once and you'll never worry about Sean's light again.

#259 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

play GoT once and you'll never worry about Sean's light again.

I feel like ST was the absolute height of light as it were.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I need the sunglasses when the retina destroying super bright aftermarket LEDS are haphazardly strewn about a playfield when a proper cleaning under the inserts and new bulbs would suffice.

But is that an advantage???

If a headlamp is an advantage because the GI is too dark then sunglasses should be an advantage if the leds are too bright.

#261 7 years ago

The reason why I specifically said "if he needs it to play" is because I know a guy that played the MMO that I played for 10+ years that was effectively blind. Legally.....he was. But he could see enough that if he sat with his face less than a foot from the screen, he was one of the best and most skilled PK's in the game. Did I make fun of him when I met him and saw how he played? Hell no. He had a legitimate reason to be sitting like that.

If the guy is mindful with his light, then fine...whatever. I just find it odd that someone would choose to do that for any reason other than compensating for some kind of disability, but then again, I don't understand why people kick their legs all crazy like when playing either! I'm not going to speak for the commenters on the webcast, because I wasn't there, I wasn't listening to it and still haven't heard it, and frankly, I'm not obligated to worry about comes out of other people's mouths aside from my kids.. I wasn't making fun of him, I'm still not. I'm just saying that in certain circumstances if he was not careful with it, it would bug me.

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-ifpa-scs-thread/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.