Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170218_205732 (resized).jpg
    Ricky-Gervais-001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
    16602682_1507572205927901_4718444041947920290_n (resized).jpg
    IFPA ND state champion Dan Stephney (resized).jpg
    Fargo Marge (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpg
    LA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Not exactly sure what you're referring to.

curious as to why 2017 will be different? are the new WPPR rules going to be significantly changed? i couldnt find a read me for 5.3

edit: found it here: https://www.ifpapinball.com/wppr-formula-change-to-v5-3-for-2017/

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

curious as to why 2017 will be different? are the new WPPR rules going to be significantly changed? i couldnt find a read me for 5.3
    edit: found it here: https://www.ifpapinball.com/wppr-formula-change-to-v5-3-for-2017/

For TX, specifically, not overall.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

For TX, specifically, not overall.

Ya won't effect Texas really. Good point.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Better enjoy it while you can.. 2017 going to be a very different year...

Yeah, because I'll be better Atleast that is what I keep telling myself.

But I think I know where you are headed and I hope you are right.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Did I misunderstand the rules? I thought top seed picked the first game (or player position) then after that it was the loser of the previous game that got the choice.
    Also, first time qualifier here in Texas. Looking forward to giving this a try.

Yes that method is correct. I have no issue with the higher seed picking the very first game or position.

I was talking about a concept that some TDs might want to use to keep the day from being too long.

Specifically, my comment was about the top set (for example 1 and 16 in round one) picking their game (say AC/DC) and sets (2,15) etc. not being able to wait for that game and being forced to make another choice because the TD wants to make sure the tourney moves quickly.

Granted it is best of 7 and sets (2,15) etc. could play AC/DC at some other point, but maybe that player wants to play that specific game first to get a psychological advantage or calm his nerves by playing something familiar etc. To be denied access to a game at the State Championship level because they didn't qualify higher and the TD wants to speed things up is kind of cheesy IMO. If that method of choosing (denying) was going to be a rule it should be known well in advance.

That was the point. Hopefully a little clearer

#56 7 years ago

I really hope a group of players gets together and chooses the game the high seed group plays each and every round just to prove how bad the waiting rule is.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I really hope a group of players gets together and chooses the game the high seed group plays each and every round just to prove how bad the waiting rule is.

The only people that hurts are the group of players that do it to themselves? Lol

My rule on waiting is that if you're waiting .... It means you're still alive! Can't wait once you're eliminated so enjoy the opportunity while you have it

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Waiting for a game where there are 20+ titles available should be against the rules since a match is the best of seven. A player has to have at least 3 games they want to play, why not go to one of those instead? I hope there is an SCS that all players choose the same game for each round and match.

Understood, and it sounds reasonable...in theory. When you play in the SCS and there are exactly 7 games to choose from, order of game play can be quite significant

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

you may be being sarcastic. not sure. every social competition has "those" people. you know, the ones who are willing to be a stick in the mud to prove that things would go smoother if they were in charge. no one likes those guys, and if they ever do run events, the success of those events comes from the fact that they themselves are no longer a barrier between organizers and a smooth running event.

and honestly, do you really hope that a group of players decides to slow things down and spoil the fun of a state championship pinball tournament for everyone, simply so that you can be proven right online about a proposed formula change???

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

honestly, do you really hope that a group of players decides to slow things down and spoil the fun of a state championship pinball tournament for everyone, simply so that you can be proven right online about a proposed formula change???

Yes as I'm strongly against intentional delays. The rule needs to be changed.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Yes as I'm strongly against intentional delays. The rule needs to be changed.

I haven't seen a tournament be "intentionally delayed" because of this rule.
    And you say you are against an intentional delay, but then you say that you hope a group of players get together and intentionally delay a tournament to prove your point?
    Get over it.
    What I have seen happen, is that most players will choose an open game, and they can come back to a machine if they passed it up earlier in the match because it was being played.
    Most players feel like playing, so they will not usually wait, at least not until the final rounds, or pivotal games within a match.
    But hey, maybe you can convince a bunch of players to be assholes and pile up behind one machine, I'm sure you'll all have a blast "sticking it to the man!"

1 week later
    #62 7 years ago

Qualifying for the 4th annual IFPA State Championship Series is now complete, and it’s now time for us to find our qualifiers for the 40 different IFPA State Championship finals. These finals will all be held simultaneously on February 11th, 2017, with 640 finalists competing for not only a State Championship title, but also a spot in the fourth annual IFPA US National Championship.

View the final qualifying standings HERE - https://www.ifpapinball.com/scs/standings/

IFPA State Representatives should be sending out emails to the top 50 from each state shortly. Important to note that if the IFPA does not have your email address on file, we have no way of being able to contact you. If you feel you should have received an invitation to one of the IFPA State Championships and did not, contact the IFPA immediately at [email protected], or Click HERE (http://www.ifpapinball.com/user-profile) to edit your profile.

Registration for all 40 states closes on Saturday, January 14th at 7pm CST. Any player that has not accepted their invitation by that time will be ineligible to participate.

Remember that no player is allowed to compete in multiple IFPA State Championships. Players that qualify for more than one IFPA State Championship will have to make their choice during this open period of registration. This will mean that many states will go far past the top 16 players in order to fill all 16 spots.

Any questions about the SCS, or anything IFPA related, please contact us at [email protected]

As State Representatives alert us to who is attending, we will be updating the registration page HERE - https://www.ifpapinball.com/champseries/

For our Canadian friends, the PCS registration page is available HERE - https://www.ifpapinball.com/champseries/canada.php

#63 7 years ago

Is it common for the top players to wait until the last minute to choose their state? I've noticed many of the top 20 haven't chosen yet.

I will be playing in IN if Trent doesn't take my spot. Ugh. I think he played KY last year. Guess I will know soon. Deadline is tomorrow at 7pm I believe.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from mizary:

Is it common for the top players to wait until the last minute to choose their state? I've noticed many of the top 20 haven't chosen yet.
    I will be playing in IN if Trent doesn't take my spot. Ugh. I think he played KY last year. Guess I will know soon. Deadline is tomorrow at 7pm I believe.

Hope you make it buddy. I thought Trent was doing IN this year, but not sure.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hope you make it buddy. I thought Trent was doing IN this year, but not sure.

yeah I thought I'd heard that too... maybe from you. I'm not too concerned either way. Lafayette is pretty far and I'd be doing the trip solo.

Should be at the bar early (6:30 ish) tonight, I haven't been playing much lately. I need the practice. I might have recruited a new player too... the guy who inspected the chimney in our new house today! Hope he shows up.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from mizary:

yeah I thought I'd heard that too... maybe from you. I'm not too concerned either way. Lafayette is pretty far and I'd be doing the trip solo.

Make the trip. This is a great event. You never know, you could be headed to Vegas afterwards!

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Make the trip. This is a great event. You never know, you could be headed to Vegas afterwards!

Nationals is in Dallas this year. Not sure if a lot of people know that.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

you could be headed to Vegas afterwards!

Pretty sure it's Dallas this year...

The irony of this is I could MAYBE snag a spot in Nevada SCS, but I can't currently seem to find a way to get the day off for it and get there and back for a reasonable price. /sigh

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Pretty sure it's Dallas this year...

Quoted from TomGWI:

Nationals is in Dallas this year. Not sure if a lot of people know that.

That's what I said. You could be headed to Dallas this year!!

#70 7 years ago

I'm kinda stuck here either way.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from mizary:

Should be at the bar early (6:30 ish) tonight, I haven't been playing much lately. I need the practice. I might have recruited a new player too... the guy who inspected the chimney in our new house today! Hope he shows up.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if Trent doesn't pick IN, Brad is going to.

#72 7 years ago

Who will hold out the longest? Trent or Brad. Will be interesting.

Trent won. Where will he go?

1 week later
    #73 7 years ago

The Louisiana trophy made it down south safely earlier today.
    LA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpgLA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpg

Now the question is: Who will win it on Sat Feb 11th?

Among the field of 16 for the LA State Pinball Championship this year we have last year's LA State Champ, and a former Texas State Champ.

#74 7 years ago

I realise this thread is very much about the SCS, however if people wanted to get a glimpse into the ACS (IFPA Australian Championship Series) starting February 10th in Melbourne, and learn a little about the thriving pinball scene down this way, there's a short little story here: http://gamethesystem.co/latest/20/1/2017/the-5-players-to-watch-in-the-ifpa-australian-championship-series

#75 7 years ago

Michigan trophy locked and loaded.

IMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpgIMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpg

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

and a former Texas State Champ.

Oh? Who's that?

*Edit* Preston?

2 weeks later
    #77 7 years ago

Giddy up!

#78 7 years ago

All of dallas eliminated in round 1.....you guys sure know how to motivate me to take no prisoners this year and get back in..

*Edit* I love that a guy who consistently claims he doesn't play well took out Josh Henderson. LOL...Texas: Where pro players come to die.

#79 7 years ago

anyone got a list of state winners?!

#80 7 years ago

Eric Stone was the state champion of Florida! I'd also like to see a list of the winners from other states.

#81 7 years ago

Chris Basler won Missouri

#82 7 years ago

Others I know
    David Ziegler won Kansas
    Chris Chinn won Washington

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from GRR:

Others I know
    David Ziegler won Kansas
    Chris Chinn won Washington

Start a list

Jason Zahler New Jersey
    Jerry Bernard Connecticut
    Aviana Smith Idaho
    Steve Daniels Vermont
    Michael Haycock Maine
    Chris Basler Missouri
    Alex Huffman Alabama
    David Ziegler Kansas
    Chris Chinn Washington

#84 7 years ago

Adam Peacock Michigan
    Tommy Skinner Indiana
    Cryss Stephens Pennsylvania

#85 7 years ago

David Daluga won WI

#86 7 years ago

Fairly certain Colin won TX. Again. Boring. Seemed like there was a good throwdown that second round..

#87 7 years ago

Colin MacAlpine won Texas.

IMG_2406 (resized).JPGIMG_2406 (resized).JPG

#88 7 years ago

I have to compile the list for Nationals invites so we'll post a complete list once I've gotten all the results in.

Zach won Illinois

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I have to compile the list for Nationals invites so we'll post a complete list once I've gotten all the results in.

We know it will be available after all the scores are posted. But we impatient people want to know.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Zach won Illinois

Who?

In order by State

Alex Huffman Alabama
    Jerry Bernard Connecticut
    Aviana Smith Idaho
    Zach Sharpe Illinois
    Tommy Skinner Indiana
    David Ziegler Kansas
    Michael Haycock Maine
    Adam Peacock Michigan
    Chris Basler Missouri
    Jason Zahler New Jersey
    Cryss Stephens Pennsylvania
    Colin MacAlpine Texas
    Steve Daniels Vermont
    Chris Chinn Washington
    David Daluga WI

#90 7 years ago

My daughter, 15 year old Aviana Smith won Idaho.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#91 7 years ago

Ha, that's awesome.

#92 7 years ago

Top four in KY:

1. Brian Shepard
    2. Jared Baldridge
    3. Yours truly
    4 Eric Ramey

#93 7 years ago

Virginia - Austin Mackert
    Maryland - Justin Day

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Maryland - Justin Day

We might have the list before Josh.

I wonder about NY and MA. Expecting to hear Steve and Bowen.

Alabama - Alex Huffman
    Arizona
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut - Jerry Bernard
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia - Derek Miazga
    Iowa
    Idaho - Aviana Smith
    Illinois - Zach Sharpe
    Indiana - Tommy Skinner
    Kansas - David Ziegler
    Kentucky - Brian Shepard
    Louisiana - Preston Moncla
    Massachusetts
    Maryland - Justin Day
    Maine - Michael Haycock
    Michigan - Adam Peacock
    Minnesota
    Missouri - Chris Basler
    North Carolina - Levi Nayman
    Nebraska
    New Hampshire - Leslie Kozloski
    New Jersey - Jason Zahler
    Nevada
    New York - Sean Grant
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Oregon - Kevin Birell
    Pennsylvania - Cryss Stephens
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina - Trent Augenstein
    Texas - Colin MacAlpine
    Utah
    Vermont - Steve Daniels
    Washington - Chris Chinn
    Wisconsin - David Daluga
    West Virginia

#95 7 years ago

NH winner was Leslie Kozloski. Congrats!
    #notjoe

#96 7 years ago

Preston Moncla won Louisiana

#97 7 years ago

Levi Nayman won North Carolina
    Derek Miazga won Georgia
    Sean "The Storm" Grant won New York
    Trent won in South Carolina

(taxman, Steve Bowden lost to Sanjay in NJ who lost to Zahler)

#98 7 years ago

Kevin Birell wins Oregon

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Levi Nayman won North Carolina
    Derek Mizenga won Georgia
    Sean "The Storm" Grant won New York
    (taxman, Steve Bowden lost to Sanjay in NJ who lost to Zahler)

I updated my last "List" post as they come in so I don't fill the page with mostly the same thing. Yes, wow, so Steve took 3rd.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I updated my last "List" post as they come in so I don't fill the page with mostly the same thing. Yes, wow, so Steve took 3rd.

Add Trent in SC i forgot to list him

I also mangled Derek Miazga's last name. And I consider him a friend!

And you really should use Sean "The Storm" Grant's full name! I'm pretty sure that's on his driver's license.

Also bowen didn't show for MA...I think the winner was Mitch Curtis - I also think Leslie won in NH but I don't know her last name so dont embarrass me with either of these till confirmed

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-ifpa-scs-thread/page/2?hl=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.