Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170218_205732 (resized).jpg
    Ricky-Gervais-001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
    16602682_1507572205927901_4718444041947920290_n (resized).jpg
    IFPA ND state champion Dan Stephney (resized).jpg
    Fargo Marge (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170122_104214 (resized).jpg
    LA_IFPA_SCS_trophy-24Jan2017 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 7 years ago

Saw that last years thread had been dusted off and decided to start a new one, if this is a dupe or unnecessary sorry in advance!

where are yours being held? what format will be used? how are you ranked? any plans to stream the event? advice for first timers (playing or organizing). and just general discussion of the state championship series.

#2 7 years ago

I'm planning on...um...nothing. I couldn't attend enough events this year to qualify, and going to Nationals pooched my primary opportunity to get enough points to even be in the running. \_(0_0)_/

3 weeks later
    #3 7 years ago

I'm happy to say that we got Idaho on the map this year. We're working on the details now. The format is specified in the rules: single elimination for each round, based on best 4 out of 7 games, each game on different pin if possible.

#4 7 years ago

Any info on Indiana's state championships? Place and date? If it's possible maybe I'll come to watch.

I've taken a notion to really try to make the SCS next year. I'm going to try to get enough points by attending more events.

#5 7 years ago

Connecticut has been on the map for 3 years now. I will be playing at The Sanctum for my 3rd year in a row.

#6 7 years ago

3rd year for Sask. Being held at my place, Pokeys.

I came in 3rd last year. Hopefully win it this year!

#7 7 years ago

It's pretty clear to me how to determine placement for 1st through 4th. Anyone know how you're supposed to pair up players and determine 9th through 16? Those are all the people who lose their first (7-game) match. Same for the players who lose their second match, and will be ranked 5th through 8th.

Finally, does anyone how to handle a no-show? I assume someone gets a by round, but who?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

It's pretty clear to me how to determine placement for 1st through 4th. Anyone know how you're supposed to pair up players and determine 9th through 16? Those are all the people who lose their first (7-game) match. Same for the players who lose their second match, and will be ranked 5th through 8th.
    Finally, does anyone how to handle a no-show? I assume someone gets a by round, but who?

Hi. I'm the Texas SCS Tournament Director. While the rules site has not yet been updated, IFPA would like for players to play every round in order to determine 1st - 16th seed.

Players eliminated in round 1 will play in an 8 player bracket (three rounds) to determine 9th-16th place.
    Players eliminated in round 2 will play in a 4 player bracket (two rounds) to determine 5th-8th place.
    Players eliminated in round 3 will play a consolation match to determine 3rd-4th place.

As for no-shows, I will replace players with substitutes that are at the event. The highest ranking player at the event will be offered the first empty position. I will repeat this process for each empty position. I will do my best to fill all 16 spots with Texas Players.

If you need more details regarding each round, here is a breakdown.

Round 1 - Best 4 out of 7

Match A) Player 1 vs Player 16
    Match B) Player 2 vs Player 15
    Match C) Player 3 vs Player 14
    Match D) Player 4 vs Player 13
    Match E) Player 5 vs Player 12
    Match F) Player 6 vs Player 11
    Match G) Player 7 vs Player 10
    Match H) Player 8 vs Player 9

Round 2
    Winners Bracket: Best 4 out of 7
    Match I) "A" Winner vs "H" Winner
    Match J) "B" Winner vs "G" Winner
    Match K) "C" Winner vs "F" Winner
    Match L) "D" Winner vs "E" Winner

9th-16th Group: (8 players reseeded based on original seed) - Best 2 out of 3
    Match AA) 1 vs 8
    Match BB) 2 vs 7
    Match CC) 3 vs 6
    Match DD) 4 vs 5

Round 3
    Winners Bracket: Best 4 out of 7
    Match M) "I" Winner vs "L" Winner
    Match N) "J" Winner vs "K" Winner

5th-8th Group: (4 players reseeded based on original seed) - Best 2 out of 3
    Match AAA) 1 vs 4
    Match BBB) 2 vs 3

9th-16th Group: Best 2 out of 3
    Match EE) "AA" Winner vs "DD" Winner
    Match FF) "BB" Winner" vs "CC" Winner
    Match GG) "AA" Loser vs "DD" Loser
    Match HH) "BB" Loser vs "CC" Loser

Round 4
    Best 4 out of 7
    1st/2nd Place Match - "M" winner vs "N" winner

Best 2 out of 3
    3rd/4th Place Match - "M" loser vs "N" loser
    5th/6th Place Match - "AAA" Winner vs "BBB" Winner
    7th/8th Place Match - "AAA" Loser vs "BBB" Loser
    9th/10th Place Match - "EE" Winner vs "FF" Winner
    11th/12th Place Match - "EE" Loser vs "FF" Winner
    13th/14th Place Match - "GG" Winner vs "HH" Winner
    15th/16th Place Match - "GG" Loser vs "HH" Loser

Marcus

#9 7 years ago

We score it as a 8 way tie for 9th

As for no show next highest rank player moves up.

#10 7 years ago

This will be Utah's first year for the SCS. Seems like we're going to see a few new states in the mix. Our event is going to be held at a private location, so we'll have full control over the machines. I'm pretty excited about the whole event. It's my first SCS event, and it looks like I should be in the 3-5th seed range depending on how points shake out from our final event for this year.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Any info on Indiana's state championships? Place and date? If it's possible maybe I'll come to watch.

Here's the calendar listing for Indiana:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=16304

#12 7 years ago

I'm a bit confused. This says "Scheduled to start on Friday Feb. 11". Start on a Friday? I thought everyone plays on the same day and it is a Saturday.

Checking, the calendar and February 11, 2017 is a Saturday.

#13 7 years ago

Marcus, thank you for taking the time to write all of that. It is a big help and I'll probably print it out as a reference. (An app would be ideal for this)
    How many pins do you have available, and do you have any advice for using them efficiently to keep things moving? I know the higher seeded player gets to choose pin or position. We are hoping to have 8 pins available.

My understanding is that everyone plays on Saturday Feb 11. My tournament co-director has Nat'l Guard duties that day, so we're not starting until 5pm.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I'm a bit confused. This says "Scheduled to start on Friday Feb. 11". Start on a Friday? I thought everyone plays on the same day and it is a Saturday.

Checking, the calendar and February 11, 2017 is a Saturday.

Do you have a screenshot of where it mentions Friday?

I'm seeing:

"This tournament has yet to be held and is scheduled to start on February 11, 2017."

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

do you have any advice for using them efficiently to keep things moving?

Turn off ball saves, turn off extra balls, jack the back legs up, open the outlane posts to the most open position . . . that'll keep it movin

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Do you have a screenshot of where it mentions Friday?
    I'm seeing:
    "This tournament has yet to be held and is scheduled to start on February 11, 2017."

No, maybe I read too quick. The Feb 11 is right.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Turn off ball saves, turn off extra balls, jack the back legs up, open the outlane posts to the most open position . . . that'll keep it movin

What games also? Might be a couple of things to disable to stop random awards that could throw the game.

With 8 games it might be a long day since people will have to wait. You might want to do as Pdxmonkey said and after round 1 the 8 people who didn't make it all tie for 9th if that's allowed. It sucks to have half the people have to stand around or leave, but we have had the things go many hours with over 40 pins to play.

#17 7 years ago

Dang if your starting at 7pm
    I would do best of three matchups instead of best of seven. And definitely have ties.
    Here's how last years shook out
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=12320

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

No, maybe I read too quick. The Feb 11 is right.

What games also? Might be a couple of things to disable to stop random awards that could throw the game.
    With 8 games it might be a long day since people will have to wait. You might want to do as Pdxmonkey said and after round 1 the 8 people who didn't make it all tie for 9th if that's allowed. It sucks to have half the people have to stand around or leave, but we have had the things go many hours with over 40 pins to play.

The actual SCS matches HAVE to be best of 7. For your situation I would have all the players eliminated in the first round agree to forfeit all the remaining matches and tie for 9th

(That's what we do in Illinois)

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

If you have 8 games and 16 players people should never be waiting (long anyway). Plan out in advance so the winners bracket and losers side play four different games in the second round to avoid over lap.

#20 7 years ago

Thanks. I'm going to try to go weather permitting.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

If you have 8 games and 16 players people should never be waiting (long anyway). Plan out in advance so the winners bracket and losers side play four different games in the second round to avoid over lap.

Unfortunately, scs allows waiting for games. That means in every round, you could have people waiting on the exact same games. Makes for a very long day in most cases.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The actual SCS matches HAVE to be best of 7. For your situation I would have all the players eliminated in the first round agree to forfeit all the remaining matches and tie for 9th
    (That's what we do in Illinois)

Hmm good to know

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately, scs allows waiting for games. That means in every round, you could have people waiting on the exact same games. Makes for a very long day in most cases.

Yep . . . when you institute a no waiting policy, it opens the doors to shenanigans with respect to the timing of when games are available.

Between players having to take a nicely timed potty break, or cradling a ball waiting and watching for the game they want to choose next to open up, we want to make sure every participant has the right to play the exact games they want to play, when they want to play them. They've earned that right qualifying the entire year to make the cut.

No waiting policies also put a priority on shortage playing games being open the most often, which if you have a diverse collection in the tournament can lead to an imbalance of classics games played over modern games.

(and yes those kind of timing shenanigans have happened at major tournaments that have had a no waiting for games policy as part of their rules)

Best of luck to everyone that makes one of the SCS cuts! Registration should hopefully be opened towards the end of the first week of January.

#24 7 years ago

I fully understand and respect the wait all day policy. Just mentioning that people should prepare for a LONG day.

I personally think there is a better compromise like every round starts at the exact same time and highest seed gets first pick and then down the line. Then reset for the next round of games.

Reality is now that game 1 round 1 could mean 8 groups all waiting on the same deck. Granted most players seem to want to play rather than wait. Feedback is that is makes for a prety long drag when you get the one or two people that insist to wait on every game.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I personally think there is a better compromise like every round starts at the exact same time and highest seed gets first pick and then down the line.

I think for PAPA style match play events this works great because every player plays the same number of games per round (usually 3 or 4).

With head-to-head you have matches that finish in 4 games, and matches that can finish in 7 games. This leads to game availability inconsistencies based on how matches above your seed are going.

You can also run into a situation where if you have 8 games, and 8 matches, the #8 seed only has the last game available for Round 1 (so really no choice at all). For game two all the other 7 matches leave that same game available for the #8 seed again, and now the #8 seed match can't continue because they've already played that game in the match.

I agree in reality most players just want to keep the match going. I know Zach and I will often tend to gravitate towards the same pics, and I don't have a problem playing my 2nd favorite pick first if Zach just got going on his first game that I also wanted to play. 95% of the time this works itself out. Once you get through the first round it's pretty smooth sailing to the finish line (at least for IL).

#26 7 years ago

People are playing for the State Championship-many players have fought hard all year long in order to earn their spot at the tourney. For some players, this might be the first time they have qualified, maybe it will be their only shot. For many seasoned players, they can easily adapt, and chances are they are the higher seeds anyway, so they will get the better game picks if there are limited games. It seems like a potential punishment for qualifying lower.

If TDs are going to implement rules where the highest seed gets to pick from the choice games and so on until the lower seeds get the scraps, then that rule should have been established at the beginning of the year, not on the big day in an effort just to get it over with.

Yes it is a long day, but it only happens once a year.

#27 7 years ago

These 40 State Championship trophies aren't going to build themselves ...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

These 40 State Championship trophies aren't going to build themselves ...

Maybe they will. Have you ever tried believing in them and given them the opportunity?

#29 7 years ago

I figured you would just send them out as "kits" by now.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I figured you would just send them out as "kits" by now.

seems like the right thing to do!

"Congrats, you won the state championship... Now put your stinking trophy together"

lol

#31 7 years ago

Hoping to build up enough funds in the IFPA account to fly all the State Reps in . . . they can each then build their own trophy and save me way too many hours of manual labor

#32 7 years ago

7th in Colorado, should get the 6th seed if Trent doesnt play here (He is qualified in a bunch of states)

Looking forward to state in my first year of competitive pinball

we are playing at the 1up Colfax location that has 40+ machines, no EM's tho (unless you count PBR Can Crusher)

I was looking forward to playing it at Lyons Classic Pinball as I like the variety there and typically play EMs really well, but they switched it to 1up Colfax this year. Not a big deal, they have a ton of great, well maintained machines.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

7th in Colorado, should get the 6th seed if Trent doesnt play here (He is qualified in a bunch of states)
    we are playing at the 1up Colfax location that has 40+ machines, no EM's tho (unless you count PBR Can Crusher)
    I was looking forward to playing it at Lyons Classic Pinball as I like the variety there and typically play EMs really well, but they switched it to 1up Colfax this year. Not a big deal, they have a ton of great, well maintained machines.

Good luck, man. You played really well at the Ghostbusters launch party. That was a lot of fun.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

good luck buddy.

I will likely end up 6th in WI also. Hoping we get an official announcment of location in the next week. We shift the host region each year and this year is Milwaukee crews chance. Sounds like they are hoping to host at a sweet private colleciton with no home field advantage.

#35 7 years ago

Can't wait, Florida is really producing top end players and will be well represented on the national level. A big achievement making the top 16 . My favorite tournament of the year!

#36 7 years ago

One down!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

People are playing for the State Championship-many players have fought hard all year long in order to earn their spot at the tourney. For some players, this might be the first time they have qualified, maybe it will be their only shot. For many seasoned players, they can easily adapt, and chances are they are the higher seeds anyway, so they will get the better game picks if there are limited games. It seems like a potential punishment for qualifying lower.
    If TDs are going to implement rules where the highest seed gets to pick from the choice games and so on until the lower seeds get the scraps, then that rule should have been established at the beginning of the year, not on the big day in an effort just to get it over with.
    Yes it is a long day, but it only happens once a year.

Did I misunderstand the rules? I thought top seed picked the first game (or player position) then after that it was the loser of the previous game that got the choice.

Also, first time qualifier here in Texas. Looking forward to giving this a try.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Did I misunderstand the rules? I thought top seed picked the first game (or player position) then after that it was the loser of the previous game that got the choice.

That's how I remember it the last 3 years.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

that is how it works.

Higher seed in a pairing gets to pick game or position.

EVERY pairing can hypothetically pick the exact same game.
    i.e. Round 1 and all 8 pairings could wait on TWD for the first game. Then all eight pairings could wait on STpro for game 2. so on and so forth.

In short, if it is your pick, you can wait to play any game for as long as it takes.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Actually, I think it is top seed picks, then alternating picks from there.
    Probably an often missed nuance of the format, but not the biggest deal.
    Josh can clarify if this is correct.

#41 7 years ago

I'm 49th in KY. Hopefully I can squeeze in again. I was like 75th last year and made it.

I count 6 native KY people in the top 50 this year! That's double the number from last year. Haha.

Keeping my fingers crossed a lot. Here's to 34 backouts!

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Actually, I think it is top seed picks, then alternating picks from there.
    Probably an often missed nuance of the format, but not the biggest deal.
    Josh can clarify if this is correct.

Actually you need to text me, and I'll decide the next game in your match. It's going to be great with 320 matches going on at the same time

Here's the verbiage from the official rules:

"Each match will be a best-of-seven. The higher seeded player will have choice of machine or position for the 1st game, with the loser of each subsequent game having choice of machine or order, until someone has won 4 games. A machine may not be played more than once in the same match unless there are less than 7 machines available. If that is the case, only after all machines have been chosen can either player select that game to be played for a second time within the same match. Once a player verbally announces their game choice, or chooses position, that decision will be locked in and cannot be changed.

Each player will have the opportunity for 30 seconds of practice time before starting every game of every match. This is to ensure that both players have a chance to get familiar with the machine."

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm 49th in KY. Hopefully I can squeeze in again. I was like 75th last year and made it.
    I count 6 native KY people in the top 50 this year! That's double the number from last year. Haha.
    Keeping my fingers crossed a lot. Here's to 34 backouts!

If you're the only alternate to show up it's possible. That's what I'm gonna do and I can help out if needed.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

If you're the only alternate to show up it's possible. That's what I'm gonna do and I can help out if needed.

Since KY only had the UL expo for KY points in the past you could be ranked like 150th and still make the SCS because of all the drop outs.

This year the guys at Zbar in Louisville had lots of tournaments so that will help increase the amount of KY natives participating. 2017 should have even more as there will be more tournaments held in NKY as well.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

If you're not in the top 20, you shouldn't get your hopes up. I'm 17 at the moment, with a final chance to ensure top 16 tomorrow. I'm worried I'll get in at 17 because the top 16 is almost completely local to Lafayette, or my NWI league. I'm hoping there'll be a couple scheduling conflicts, at least.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

"Each match will be a best-of-seven. The higher seeded player will have choice of machine or position for the 1st game, with the loser of each subsequent game having choice of machine or order, until someone has won 4 games. A machine may not be played more than once in the same match unless there are less than 7 machines available. If that is the case, only after all machines have been chosen can either player select that game to be played for a second time within the same match. Once a player verbally announces their game choice, or chooses position, that decision will be locked in and cannot be changed.

Thanks Josh, I thought we had been doing it with "high, low, high, low, etc" Maybe that was a different tourney.
    Here's another one for you:
    By "choosing position", does that mean I would have to pick 1st or 2nd player, or would I be able to say "I pick position" and then wait for them to pick the machine, then decide 1st or 2nd?
    The latter makes much more sense to me, as some games could have things that would make you wish to go first. (powerball, locks, etc)

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

By "choosing position", does that mean I would have to pick 1st or 2nd player, or would I be able to say "I pick position" and then wait for them to pick the machine, then decide 1st or 2nd?
    The latter makes much more sense to me, as some games could have things that would make you wish to go first. (powerball, locks, etc)

You can defer the actual position choice until after the machine has been selected, however if you drop an "I'll go 2nd" when you choose position, and then the game gets picked and suddenly you realize you actually want to go first . . . You can't change your position choice.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Better enjoy it while you can.. 2017 going to be a very different year...

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Better enjoy it while you can.. 2017 going to be a very different year...

Only if they limit per location events a year. Otherwise will be the same ol same ol.

Waiting for a game where there are 20+ titles available should be against the rules since a match is the best of seven. A player has to have at least 3 games they want to play, why not go to one of those instead? I hope there is an SCS that all players choose the same game for each round and match.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Only if they limit per location events a year. Otherwise will be the same ol same ol.

Not exactly sure what you're referring to.

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-ifpa-scs-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.