image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

It seems like the whole process to get really good code and a lot under the playfield, is a long wait and lead time. I think Pat's game has also had a long lead time, so there is a good possibility that will be of the same build quality as WOZ and Hobbit, with great code. My concern is all the other games after these three. If JJP remains in business they will have to start pumping production faster, which means less time between games, like Stern. Will they be able to keep producing games like these first three, with very deep code, and all the features, like video? Time will tell, but it could be that these first three are going to be the deepest and best games from JJP. I hope that is not true, but I have my concerns. I hope it works out for them.

Do they need to pump games out much faster? Well, anything would be much faster than now. But if Hobbit and game 3 are released this year, then one game every 10-12 months would be fine IMO. The market is expanding, and they'll have 3 very different titles in their catalogue, none of which will go out of production soon. I think they risk overwhelming themselves if they aim for ~3 a year, much like Heighway could. A period of consolidation and cost reduction as production increases would benefit them more than prolific releases.

1 week later
#392 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Why the need for prepayment AGAIN? Well, one disturbing theory is this:
JJP didn't have the funds to build the machines it has pre-sold. So, prepayment on TH was diverted to cover completing WoZ. Yes, this is conjecture, but I think there were signs to support this (vendors not getting paid, JJP seemingly unable to inventory parts efficiently, breaking promises and shipping new orders ahead of old ones, etc). This scheme obviously can't go on forever and eventually "stealing from Peter to pay Paul" would catch up unless....... yes, cash infusion from outside investment.

This is the unspoken truth about innumerable companies in disparate industries the world over. People will wax lyrical about how unethical, potentially illegal and outrageous it is, yet shower praise on the same companies who made it after starting like this, or idolise entrepreuneurs who got their big break doing this - in some cases 'robbing' being very close to literal robbery.

I don't necessarily think there's a way around it for some startups, when things go badly and delays occur. Probably like JJP until they survived long enough for a big investment last year. You'd like to think that isn't the starting plan, though it is the tried and tested fallback. But when you combine tremendous naivete of both buyers (pre-orderers) and sellers (JPop) with paralysis through incompetence and perfectionism (JPop) ... you're going to get a horrendous mess. The latter absolutely is far more common than the former (JJP) in the start up world, and pinball is too small for too many instances of the latter to occur.

JJP should be more than financially secure now, provided Hobbit sells well on release ... but if they have the same pre-order model for game 3, then alarm bells should ring as they're purely taking advantage of those foolish enough to do it, and further conditioning people to an unhealthy practice that will definitely result in more shit shows in future.

#401 8 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

100 x $7500 = $750,000 less a bulk discount ? I don't suppose Joe will tell us but any of you businessmen care to guess how much CASH is in JJP's account NOW.

Probably not much if they're continuing to fit out the factory and hire more people, whilst developing more games. I'm sure that cash helped keep the lights on and pay people's wages, but it will have been gone long ago and their sunk costs will have been massive, and I assume the investments in the company announced last summer will have dwarfed any pre-order money.

Start up manufacturing operations tend to be hugely greedy on cash. One of the things they have to be very wary of is taking on too much debt or selling too many shares in the company too quickly for investment, as cash flies out of the till so quickly. Further lending or VC rounds can then be very painful.

I invested in a startup manufacturer a couple of years ago (different sector) who are doing very well ... but the cash has typically lasted them a quarter of the time they anticipated for each of the latter funding rounds, as they ramp up production, buy more machinery and hire more staff. By my understanding, this is pretty typical.

#417 8 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Good to hear your view on the overall picture but I was just talking about the cash from one distributor to JJP. How much they really have to pay up front. As I understand it people now waiting for their game have paid the full cost of their games ? Correct ?

I didn't read context fully, sorry. Still applies though.

No idea.

#439 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok that helps but I was told (100%) games were being released and shipped in February. Just don't see how this will happen if test games are just going out.

They're final hardware. Barring calamity there won't be any immediate hardware revisions as a result of feedback from them. It will just inform setup and assembly of the games soon to be released, and possibly any necessary code fixes at the 11th hour.

#467 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Turn off stabilisation. Shakey is better than warped!

Only bother with OIS. Not digital. Digital's pretty awful.

Game looks very pretty.

4 weeks later
#691 8 years ago

Is there one of those rule flowcharts for WOZ?

#693 8 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Woz_Rules_Flowchart_v06.pdf

Thanks. Is that updated with latest code changes? It says v06 so presumably it is 6.xx?

#717 8 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

No, but we did joke with Jack about it. Our two year old keeps calling the baby Jack now haha . When we were on our way out Jack gave us a signed translite, it really was an awesome night .

Jack mentioned at the event that Hobbits would be shipping next week as well. We're so close!!

Bilbo would be a much better name.

1 week later
#928 8 years ago

I think GoT Pro benefits from the lack of upper PF, tbh. It looks really out of place and ugly, as if it has just been dropped on top of the game, and really interupts the great flow that the Pro exhibits.

I was more struck by just how huge a difference there is in display technology and the amount of thought and effort that goes into it, plus the lighting. Display looks wack for '16 on GB imo, and the lighting is really sad. People are doing backflips about the cabinet art, which I agree looks superb, but then say the lighting and DMD don't matter, despite those being the interactive visual elements; once you're playing the game you don't even see the cabinet art.

#956 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, it's awesome. It's hammered like the LE, but looks better.

What's the technical / official name for the 'hammered' or mottled powdercoats? Is there one?

#957 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Totally agree.
There's still a big giant question mark in my mind on the code for this game because from what I've heard, they only have a couple months left to get it coded before moving onto pats game. With the new investors and CEO, I imagine they're going to want faster turn arounds. And I don't anticipate we'll see as much code support and detail that we saw with WOZ, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong cause I really like what I'm seeing from hobbit so far with the limited time I got to spend on one (~6hrs).

They will have been coding game #3 since the moment it moved off the drawing board as a concept. Coding doesn't start when there's a fully built prototype delivered. I would assume, being a newly founded modern operation, they do a lot of virtual prototyping like Heighway do, which probably means the code will be relatively far along by the time they're moving through prototypical iterations.

I highly doubt WOZ will be abandoned just yet, and The Hobbit? Didn't they say they have ~20 of a planned ~120 Smaug speech samples (which hook to his playfield model) implemented? They clearly plan on doing a bunch more, though I'm sure a lot of the basic software framework is shared with WOZ, so it won't need nearly as many updates.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.