image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#778 8 years ago

Cool, reviews will start coming!

1 week later
#934 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Totally agree.
There's still a big giant question mark in my mind on the code for this game because from what I've heard, they only have a couple months left to get it coded before moving onto pats game. With the new investors and CEO, I imagine they're going to want faster turn arounds. And I don't anticipate we'll see as much code support and detail that we saw with WOZ, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong cause I really like what I'm seeing from hobbit so far with the limited time I got to spend on one (~6hrs).

I thought I read that they hired two more programmers? In fact, they coded at least part of the last WOZ update I heard. So, Keith and Ted plus two more seems like enough to work on two games at the same time.

#936 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Amazing looking Smaug Gold SE the GOLD is amazing!!!!

image_(resized).jpeg

Yes, it's awesome. It's hammered like the LE, but looks better.

2 weeks later
#1141 8 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

Besides the cabinet artwork, what are the differences between the LE and Gold editions?

Very little is different after artwork. Armor color (hammered gold vs hammered bronze), Smaug coloring (red with gold vs deep red). The SE has a special attract mode clip. Umm, that's about it.

#1180 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I like how the game Ships with white rubber.

I hadn't noticed...that IS great!

#1206 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No extra balls?!?!? That's unusual. I really hope there is a specific eb shot - I'm really not a fan of points based eb's. Is there no eb insert anywhere on the pf?
Thanks for the detailed review dgarrett.

There are two inserts to collect "extra ball". "Extra" is on the left VUK and "Ball" is on the right VUK. I presume you will need get both to earn the extra ball and I think it's related to the kicking barrels rules? We'll see!

#1321 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they are ok, but not as great as the call outs on LOTR. They don't give you that rush, like when you get the "you shall not pass" quote after completing fellowship multiball, or the intense volume increase for two towers start. I'm not saying hobbits sound bits are awful. just saying compared to LOTR, they are not as good.

So far...there's like 75% of the audio not in Hobbit yet. Give it time to complete. LOTR will be tough to beat, but sound quality on Hobbit absolutely destroys LOTR and its crappy whitestar sound.

#1325 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that is true. were those actual actors or sound alikes?

In LOTR it was actually Elijah Wood and JRD doing the callouts. They're awesome. Hobbit has sound-alike actors.

3 weeks later
#1398 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I think I am switching my SE to an LE when the time comes.. red Smaug is better, powder is a better color and side art looks nicer..really awesome pics.

Hmmm, to each their own. Red Smaug looks a little better I agree, but powder and side art on the SE kill the LE. My opinion. The LE art looks like a high schooler's collage (especially that left side). It's good we have options.

#1408 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Just 2 currently.
Unless there is a mode with 2 balls? But I don't think there is. Just Smaug MB, and beast frenzy

Isn't one of the modes a two ball?

1 week later
#1420 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I have an LE order date of Dec. 13, 2012, I believe from JJP direct and I have NOT been notified that my game is nearing completion.

You are close...I'm an early December order direct from JJP and mine is arriving next week.

#1427 7 years ago
Quoted from ssturtle:

Just got my machine after 3 years, Smaug edition and I noticed the front ans die art does no go to the end of the cabinet.
Theirs black dead space where the applied art didn't fill, is this normal? I'll try and post pictures once I'm done unboxing.

Let's see a picture of it

2 months later
#1447 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very happy to hear that, especially with regard to the left ramp. That left ramp has several issues, it's not just the ball getting stuck (that is actually pretty easy to remedy). The ball also will often fly out near the bottom and bounce right over the plastic diverter and to the out hole, sometimes to an inlane. The ball can just come down that ramp too fast at times.

My left wireform is 100% reliable. Now, if I could get a fix for the darn curling ramp flaps I'd be happy though.

#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Do you have the PF protector installed?
I am wondering if this has an effect on it.

Yep

#1455 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How did you get it to 100%?
Mine is nowhere close to this. I have got to the point where stuck balls occur very rarely, but I still have the ball jump off the wireform far too often.

I did the spacer method...about 5/16" tall spacer on that bottom mount. It's less about slowing the ball down and more about tweaking the angle of the wireform.

Saying that, I'll be asking for the improved wireform either way.

#1456 7 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

I've had my machine for a couple weeks now, I'm assuming this is the new wire form, works like a champ.

I don't see the etched diverter shield anymore...it's plain metal now.

#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Pic of old one?

Hard to make out in this pic, but it's clear plexi and etched with elvish(?) writing. Can get a close up tonight.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1483 7 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I don't know that I "finished" all 30 modes (as sometimes I run out of time) but I think I have played every mode for sure. And I do like how challenging some are. One in particular where you have to hit the right loop but the warg won't drop, THAT is hard!

I can tell you right now that you haven't beat all 30 modes in a week of ownership. LOL.

Some are very difficult. The Bait is damn near impossible as is the Defeat of Azog. Mirkwood is another tough one. I have beat a lot of them, but doing it in one game would be monumental.

#1486 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As the software stands now, I don't feel any incentive to try to beat all 30 modes. I am also waiting for more software to play the game again.

Yep, there is no incentive except to beat ONE to qualify the Arkenstone modes. There's a little strategy to save the easy ones (The One Ring, Radagast, A Thief in the Night, Demise of Bolg, Resurgence of Sauron for example) for each Arkenstone mode attempt. Code has a bit to go yet.

By the way...had another bug last night. Was playing Into the Fire and drained down to a single ball but hit Beorn on the way out for the add a ball. Into the Fire ended but I still had two balls in normal play. Stayed that way until I started another multiball...then it returned to normal.

#1493 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wow, I suck!

Me too...damn! My game can be extremely brutal at times. A ton of modes got played on that ball 1 (errr, 4). How did you get the third extra ball???

#1498 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I got to play RobT's hobbit LE today. Awesome game, I like it a lot. You guys that have one are lucky. You can tell a lot of work and effort went into this game. But I do hope we see some more code updates, the game does need it.
Question; is there any incentives for completing modes right now?
Another thing I forgot to ask rob is, what does super X do? And how do you get it?
Lastly, during beast frenzy it seemed thorin captive ball would flash red, then if you hit it would start flashing blue, then hit it again and it'd start flashing more intensely. Seemed like a staging up or jackpot building shot of some kind? What's it do? It seemed very important but lacked sound effects upon hitting so while it felt satisfying to hit, it had an unfinished feel to it.

Definitely needs more code. No incentives for completing modes except collecting the arrowhead for the Arkenstone mode...hope more incentive comes soon.

Super X currently is a double pf multiplier awarded after a certain number of captive ball hits (it's the 3rd or 4th award). Time this right with modes/multiballs and it can be pretty lucrative. Not sure if there is any other way to get it or if you can move it past 2x. I'm sure more code to come.

Not sure on the Thorin rules during Beast Frezy, though I think it just acts like a 5th beast? I'm hazy on the Beast Frenzy rules as its a pretty crazy quick moving multiball without much thinking time.

#1499 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Not sure about beast frenzy scoring. Generally red =jackpot. And blue is super jackpot.

I believe the colors match WOZ...so blue = jackpot, yellow = double, red = triple. But I might be totally wrong. There's solid and flashing colors thrown in too, so I don't know...

#1509 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

During "into the fire" mode, when Gandolf yells ready, what do I do?

Hit the flashing rainbowy shot. He says Super Jackpot...then pauses...then says Ready. It's a little weird sounding.

#1510 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

How do you start Into the Fire mode?

5 qualifiers:
1) Play Beast Frenzy
2) Play Smaug multiball
3) Beat a mode
4) Reach Erebor by hitting the spinners
5) Play Feast Frenzy by collecting all the dwarves

If you do those 5 things the Into the Fire insert will flash. Start it by hitting either the Balin or Radagast hole.

#1512 7 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I'm wondering if you have to do this 5 things 3 times for each arkenstone mode. Seems that way from the flowchart, but I'm hoping not. Doesn't it seem like this would get too repetitive?

Yes, you have to do this for each Arkenstone mode. It doesn't get repetitive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1?tu=pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.