image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falconpunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Sweet Jesus. We might actually get news on Lawlor's game soon! That's by far the only reason I've kept track of TH's progress.

The hype of Pats game at this stage can only leave people little disappointed. Set standards lower and we will all be pleasantly suprised

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The first playfield is installed according to the JJP Facebook page

12510250_1105328662819062_7005174684262813459_n_(resized).jpg

Didn't they post a picture 2 weeks ago of one already installed

It's the same machine with pictures 2 weeks apart?

Screenshot_2016-01-09-15-10-16~01_(resized).pngScreenshot_2016-01-09-15-10-16~01_(resized).png

#92 8 years ago

There is a feature matrix. Check it. If you get smaug you will get gold head. And smaug decals on cab. Playfield art is the same. trim is a little different as well

#140 8 years ago

This looks a littler better then the empty cabs!

FB_IMG_1452812875384_(resized).jpgFB_IMG_1452812875384_(resized).jpg

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Those look like the test games from before the empty cabs pic... from a different angle...

Shell-Game_jpg_280x280_crop_q95_(resized).jpg

Yes... But they actually have playfield in them now instead of empty cabs

1 week later
#302 8 years ago

So....
Does anyone know if testing is over and are they are actually making retail units yet?

#459 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I hope this counts as an actual update .
» YouTube video
Let's just say i walked away thinking up ways to afford this game. Captive ball was not installed before this vid.
Hang in there . It will be worth the wait. But most of all don't "Stay Tuned"
This was shot in 1080p but i had to rotate within youtube ..currently its at 720!p and gaining resolution , i hope.
Image stabilization will save your stomach contents but fucks with the image.
The pre rotated version is available for those that can rotate their screen <CNTRL ALT> <ARROW LEFT> works on my laptop. Or within screen settings.

Turn off stabilisation. Shakey is better than warped!

#460 8 years ago

Still an awesome video.

Wonder why the ball slows down to almost a halt when it turn the corner on inlanes.
Noticed that in previous videos. Looks like it's in the final version?
Maybe it's to do with double inlanes?

Also laughing at smaug callout on ball lock

#465 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

i might re-post it .. i opted for the Stabilization , not knowing the outcome and realized too late .. I can't get to it until much later on. Not sure demand will warrant it. But i will do it anyways.

I would be grateful if you could reupload without stabilization

#469 8 years ago

I found the same video on your YouTube profile without the stabilization. Its rotated the wrong way but If i look at it on my phone its fine.

Mainly wanted the steady video to see the software version which looks to be 00.28
So its the same software they have had for a year.
I am guessing Keith will release 1.00 when shipping starts or shortly after.

Pretty amazing that people are having fun on the beta software

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

By one mans popular demand

Going to be waiting a while here in the land down under so I'll take anything I can get!
Cheers

1 week later
#531 8 years ago

Not really sure how production works but does anyone know why they are making so many games at a time Versus making a couple and shipping them as they go?

People have mentioned that they have 60~80 pins on the line and shipping would probably start in March? What is the advantage of building so many at the same time without shipping anything? The ones they built first should already be finished now I am guessing? Are they just sitting there while others are getting done?

#533 8 years ago

So even at full production there are always 60~80 pins in a state of being built before testing?

#544 8 years ago

Would love to see some photos of the assembled machines waiting!
We got 20 or so pics of those 8 machines... I'll settle for 1 of all the machines waiting

#566 8 years ago

Saw this

Video is a bit blurry, and ball gets stuck a couple of times but still a new video

#568 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

For all you doubting Thomases those flippers look like they have plenty of snap.

I did notice that once the ball went up the left fishtails ramp, around to the right and popped off the wireform

#614 8 years ago

for those playing on location heaps... Are there any multiballs programmed besides the main smaug one?

And has anyone progressed to a mini wizard mode?

1 week later
#708 8 years ago

Anyone get any new footage of TH at the latest event?

#712 8 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

It is *really* short but this did get taken there: » YouTube video

I'll take it!

Thanks

#722 8 years ago

Edit.

#744 8 years ago

I guess the issue is that the The Hobbit is still running some beta software. I think 0.26? Same software for over a year. Keith must be working on everything in the background and will dump 1.00 in the coming weeks. So it's hard to judge a lot of software because a lot will change over the coming weeks and even years.

Quoted from Aurich:

I was in a loud room, full of people talking and competing, probably 12 games going at once,

That's a pity, but as above I think the sound is still what it was a year ago as well. I think Dave Theil said on pinside said that Smaug will say about 120 things and only a couple are programmed in now. They made Woz sound epic and that is a 75 year old movie. I think it has the potential to have the best audio in pinball with 2 steps from hell and David Theil working together.
I would buy a LoTR VE in a heart beat if the entire firmware including audio wasn't compressed into a 5mb file. It really is the perfect theme for setting up epic sound effects and soundtrack

Quoted from Aurich:

but I did find the information on the game pretty overwhelming.

I think WoZ and TH are both overwhelming, and I think they are intended to be that way. Because of the hurry ups there is always a shot to make. The information is crazy to absorb. After a while you understand whats going on. But I really don't think they expect a new played to understand whats going on becuase you don't know what everything is called.
Even as a new player i think i would rather have all the information there then none. I was playing my MET the other day and wondering how many more hit to certain items i needed for crank it up...have to pause the game....cycle though....opps, i clicked the button too fast, lets go around the bend again!

Quoted from Aurich:

or have someone who knows the rules explain it to me,

Well thats the beauty of the big screen. When someone explains it to you. Its right there. on the screen.

Quoted from Aurich:

I feel like maybe there was a video that pointed out what the different screens were all for, does anyone else remember that?

Quoted from Aurich:

But I wasn't always clear on what the screen was really telling me. It seemed like it was constantly saying hurry up ready on each one, with bouncing text that made it seem important. But I'm not following what I'm tracking there, does anyone know the rules for it? Like, when are they ready or not ready? It seems like those pop ups come up constantly as you play, and I'm not really clear what I'm trying to strive for there and track in that part of the screen. Is there some end goal? Am I supposed to be aiming for or avoiding the inlanes for them strategically?

Right now in the software I think you just need to hit them all (once?) to start beast frenzy, which is a 2 ball multiball. if the lane is lit and you roll over it it will pop the beast up. If the land is not lite and you roll over the lane it will then light it for next time. I am guessing the amount of times you need to roll over it can be adjusted in the settings as yes, it does seem a bit crazy that they always seem to be popping up but maybe thats what they are aiming for? We will have to see in the actual firmware proper firmware version

Quoted from Aurich:

or is there some overarching goal?

There doesn't seem to be one, not in the rule flow cart anyway. But I am guessing that Keith might make it that for final wizard mode you have to kill each beast X amount of times. Right now it seems that Beast frenzy is just used as a stackabel mode since you cannot stack others.

Quoted from Aurich:

Again, I'm sure with time it will become more clear what it all means. It's just hard to know what I'm looking at it for. It does show how many empty things you've filled in, and I know sometimes they're bigger and animated, and I think that's what mode is currently running right?

I haven't played the game, but im pretty sure all the 28 or so mode are the honeycomb area. If you qualify for the mode it appears on the screen. I am guesisng it flashes when you are in the mode or that mode is selected for when you shoot the mode start hole.
It will turn a certain colour then you have COMPLETED the mode. and stay the same if you have not completed it?

Quoted from Aurich:

Basically I think I need some tips on how some of the game structure works, a couple games and watching some others for a bit just isn't enough to put it all together as a big picture package yet.

First version of the rules flowchart
http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Hobbit-Rules-Flowchart.pdf

Its not meant to be easy though because people still don't understand how LoTR and TSPP work! I think that's just how Keith likes it

Quoted from Aurich:

The narrative jumps all over the timeline, at one point you're in Bilbo's apartment, and he's looking at the contract, and then suddenly he's running from Smaug, because you started multiball.

With Smaug's head on the PF you had to have him in the main multiball. I think it would possibly be the most boring game ever if you had to go everything in order...it means that you would be playing almost the entirely same way each time. LotR is the same in a way. You can start return of the king multiball first even though is the 3rd movie. All 7 ( i think its 7) mode can me changes wth a button flip and played in any order. The end goal is Valinor, which is where the movie ends. And the Mini wizard is destroying the ring which you cannot do unless you have played all 3 movie multiballs.

Quoted from Aurich:

It's interesting how different it feels from LOTR, and that was actually a comment several different people told me. I guess it's inevitable the two will be compared though. Same general theme, same programmer, and two very different visions.

I think this is a good thing!

Quoted from Aurich:

(And if you can't decide, just buy Alien!! )

I'd love to buy an Alien but the guy that did the artwork....so annoying

I believe the overall structure of the game (and I might be wrong)
Is that you need to do those 5 things (the quadrants) above to qualify for 1 of the movie multiballs. Those are the 3 inserts you can see in the middle which where the 'best' scenes from each movies.
I believe that after you have completed or maybe attempted these you will qualify for the mini wizard mode. I am guessing this will be killing smaug because it just makes since. Make a certain amount of shots to fire up the arrow from the winlance, and then make your shot. if its half as good as killing the witch then I will be happy.
The final wizard keith likes to make almost impossible or as he likes to say 'when you have the game of a life time', Which I guess will be something similar to valinor where you basically just have a crazy multiball where you jack up your score to unbeatable levels

The great thing about Keiths pins is that I will keep them in hope that I will one day get there. I have been pretty close on Woz and LOTR. The pity is that a lot of people will sell the pin not even beating the mini wizard mode!

#766 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

And so it begins...

Hobbit_275_(resized).JPG

Did JJP send you that? Are you customer number 1?

#772 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yes. Not number one, but in the first five.

That's great. Will be very sereal when you are unboxing after waiting this long. Enjoy it

#782 8 years ago

FB_IMG_1457470840962_(resized).jpgFB_IMG_1457470840962_(resized).jpg

#801 8 years ago

Looks like there is a deed of title stuck to the glass?
their version of the certificate of authenticity?

Smaugs mouth isn't working?

Also i didn't know there was a divertor in the middle of the Fishtail ramps. Is that currently used in the code?

#806 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Ghostbusters is older than the Hobbit films and Stern will sell a pile of them (if it ever gets announced).

Hobbit is now shipping, so should be in the next 24 hours

#826 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Congrats on the awesome news!
Here's a question concerning code: Jack has mentioned a few times before that the game will ship with code ~75% complete, maybe more. But the reports/reviews that are coming in from pinheads who played TH in the wild mention games are still running on rudimentary code. Does anyone know if this will be addressed when the pins ship? It seems to me the code should be far along at this point and rather refined given the production delays. Any insights?

No insights really.
But Keith has worked on Pindemption which dragged him off the Hobbit. He also has done a lot of work on WoZ recently.
I think Jack said at the comic book event that the code should be dropped about 2~3 weeks from now? Not sure how true that is. He mentioned it was about 75% or so complete about a year ago...so Keith probably just wants to release it in one big go instead of in dribs and drabs?

#837 8 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

well, i am a distributor...
ordered 11/28/2012
received 03/10/2016
ordered from KingPin Games

1198 days!

#840 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Makes sense....
btw:
The Empire State Building was constructed in 410 days....so, about 1/3 the time to build the Hobbit. But then again, it doesn't have an LCD display....

List of things the TH has that the Empire state Building doesn't:

11 unprecedented full control drop targets
4 pop-up beast targets
4 ball diverters
2 magnets for catching/diverting balls
Player controlled kickback ball launch
31 totally different modes giving unprecedented breath
4 player selectable drop targets
Ring button with constantly changing game context sensitive uses
3 mini wizard modes
3 major wizard modes
1 super wizard mode
Industry leading graphics on 1080p monitor
Over 60 full rgb inserts
Bunch of white gi
Epic Soundtrack from 2 Steps to hell.

#850 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What exactly are the wizard modes? I'm looking at this rule chart, but it feels like its not very complete. Just how to get to multiballs and score multipiers.

No idea. Just copy and paste what Keith said a month ago.
There are 3 inserts close to the flippers which I am guessing are the mini wizards modes? Arkenstone modes?

#882 8 years ago

Wow. Stunning

#904 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can someone clarify the armour on the Smaug LE? Anyone seen it in person? Is it going to be like the MMR gold?
Also, is Smaug an LE? Will it be numbers? If so how many will be made?

Mustard Gold? don't think so

There are no official numbers for Smaug. Its everyone that wanted to swap their orders from the LE to the SE. And then they allowed distributors to order them as well for a certain period as well. So who knows, it might be up to 500 or so?

The question is, what happens after the LEs are sold out? Say 500 SE, 1500 LE.....i don't think they would just make standards after that.

#908 8 years ago

Smaug all Gold = picture over a year old.
No idea what it looks like now though

#909 8 years ago

Dup

#911 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Must be someone who has actually seen it.
And I notice it is described as "Special Edition" - not "Limited Edition". Could be unlimited.

Jack specifically said at the expo in 2014 (I literally just listened to it about a week ago because I was bored) that customers and distros can only order from the announcement date (october 2014) till end of December 2014. Distros probably stocked up on them though. I think Wayne in AU is getting 30 x LE and 30 x SE?

Another weird thing is that JP (the LCD animator and the guy that designed the PF as well i think) said clearly in the talk that they don't get the assets of the movie until the movie it out on DVD/Blu Ray. Which is May 2015 for the 3rd movie. So I am not sure why the hobbit would have been done MUCH faster than it was done. Sure, maybe 4~6 months or so earlier, and more sound etc released with updates....but how could the pin be finished before that date if that's when they get the movie assets?!?

#940 8 years ago

The 15th greastest game.... Of all time

Screenshot_2016-03-16-23-34-33_(resized).pngScreenshot_2016-03-16-23-34-33_(resized).png

#944 8 years ago

One of the reviews is from a guy hear how good it was from a friend?
Geez.

#977 8 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

Here is a long interesting video of the Hobbit from a twitch record:
» YouTube video

Wow, fast!
Can you ask the guy what pitch he had it set up as?

#982 8 years ago

Can that be solved with a fluoro that isn't as bright?

#1012 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Hope this helps...

Cheers, just ordered 5

#1062 8 years ago

1. Where is the ball getting stuck?
2. Yes. this annoyed me too, but after about 5 games I didn't seem to care as much. Note sure if this can be improved? The TH troll mech is better than the MM one i think, so maybe the size is needed? even if they make it flush you still have the roll overs there too.
3. Personally I didn't notice this. If you compare to LOTR.... lotr has Balrog as a bash toy. A flying ring shot, a tower that moves a little when hit...thats about it isnt it? LOTR is great because of the software. Hobbit has that potential.
4. I don't think any of Keiths pins are ultimately for casual gamers. I think Smaug is easy enough to start for them, but there is so much going on so im not sure if that makes casual players feel stupid or not.
5. The one i played today was fine.
6. code is pretty much BETA.
7.The machine gun sound is awesome, its 5+ Coils going off 1 millisecond apart. If you trap the ball and read the small LCD it will tell you what to do. I am pretty sure you are talking about 'THE CONTRACT'. If so, hit the targets behind the drops.
8. personally i find it easier to hit the LOCK from the right flipper. So to be its feeding the other flipper always.
9. didnt notice
10. Code will add something, it is easy to hit those drops with it. But yes code cannot add a ramp!

Chin up, 7~8 outta 10 can be fixed with software and perception!

#1094 8 years ago

Someone who makes a mod that will reduce ball deviation will take all my money. That's the only mod TH needs

#1115 8 years ago

What lights? The inserts?

#1117 8 years ago

I think that's a first.

The aussie version had a weird thing where the 2nd lock insert seemed to be a different color than the rest of the inserts half the time, but ONLY in attract mode. So I think that would possible be a software bug.

#1217 8 years ago

Nice!

Anyone know how many they are pumping out a week atm?

#1255 8 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

I assume the issue is that they want weak-ish springs in there to let you get more fine control, and either the consistency isn't there on those springs or people are pitching their games more than the spring can take?
I'd assume it's the same one as TZ has?

Yes I'm guessing this as well. The one that landed in Australia was weak but at full plunge you could hit the middle dwarf drop. I guess it needs to be a Tiny tiny but stronger to hit the left target?

#1284 8 years ago

Not sure if I should watch videos of to new code or leave or leave it to a surprise

#1294 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Any ideas when AUS delivery will be?

Not sure. Better not to get excited about a date until it ships.

The 3 x LoTR multiballs are my favourite multiballs in any game by a long shot. Gandolf screaming at me in Two towers multiball.... Just brilliant. I hope TH stands up against these

#1301 8 years ago

Neo, you can play 1 or 1000 games of 0.8 software but I am pretty sure you are not going to hear what isn't programmed in.

We get it. The software on pin in its current state isn't the best. Let us get excited about what is around the corner without spewing your pessimistic views on the JJP sub forum.

#1329 8 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Also more out of sheer curiosity, has anyone gotten a read on what the production expectation will end up being (5 / 10 / 20 per week)?

Currently 50 a week and not at full production speed yet

Quoted from Bobby:

I played the game this past weekend in Ohio, definitely enjoyable. While I was there, they updated the code on 2 of the 3 and were working on the 3rd one when I left. I did not get a chance to play after code update to relay any impressions.

Wonder what size it will be? 8gb?

#1362 8 years ago

Take a picture of the video connectors going into the motherboard?

2 weeks later
#1386 7 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I couldn’t really figure out how the modes worked. I could see when I was “qualifying” them, but I didn’t know what, if anything, I was supposed to do next. Something that will come with time, but it was a little frustrating to feel like a newbie again. I just don’t have the visual literacy yet to parse all of the information

For mode instructions just look at the book.
Or if you want to figure out what to shoot from with just the PF lights when check out to inserts that are inside the Scroll looking inserts. Book is better as it's usually more complicated then just hitting a ramp or lane

#1390 7 years ago

People still getting their machines? Seems a bit quite in here!

#1395 7 years ago

I've got some pictures i forgot to upload.

I tried to upload original size but kept on getting errors.
Be sure to click on the image to see it in better size, as the normal resize dulls the colour down

IMG_5538_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5538_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5541_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5541_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5542_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5542_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5549_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5549_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5550_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5550_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5551_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5551_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5554_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5554_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5555_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5555_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5556_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5556_(2)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5535_(2)_(resized).jpgIMG_5535_(2)_(resized).jpg

#1400 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The LE art looks like a high schooler's collage (especially that left side).

Haha. That guy who is in the movie for 10 minutes and his huge tits is on my pinball forever!
I'll make sure the side that is showing is the right side!

#1407 7 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Really love my le ! Have a question ...... How many multi balls are currently in the code? I have only seen 2. Thank u !!!!!!

Just 2 currently.
Unless there is a mode with 2 balls? But I don't think there is. Just Smaug MB, and beast frenzy

#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Did you fly one over?

No. That's Mr. Pinballs

2 months later
#1464 7 years ago

What is that etched pattern on the clear plastic anyway?

1 week later
#1489 7 years ago

Looks like the fix is different to the beta fix

#1497 7 years ago

If you finish a mode you do 1/5 things needed to get into an arkenstone mode (into the fire with 2 more modes to comes)
Final wizard you need to complete them all and apparently of you do them in the same order as the movie it's easier or something? No news on this.

Super x is double scoring. I think you get from hitting the drops after the ball rolls out of the pops.

Not sure about beast frenzy scoring. Generally red =jackpot. And blue is super jackpot.

#1502 7 years ago

Once its lit you need to get the ball in either of the left/right holes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falconpunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1?tu=falconpunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.