image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Dupe thread, labtroll.

The other one is locked in the basement and will never be shown the light of day.

Come on, let's see some Hobittsis.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Who is getting the 2017 Hobbit Update Thread ready? Too early?

Hey look, you're posting in all the hobbit threads just like me. That is a witty joke you made right free someone else made it. Almost original.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Nice photoshopped image. More like 2017, or 2018 Year of the Hobbit.

I'd guess only the text was photoshopped. That was most likely the Engineering Sample Game that made a stop for some fun on its way to Ted.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Is that an actual production game? or the initial beta test batch?

It was an engineering sample. It is going to Ted for programming work after.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

3 current hobbit threads.... (4 if you count the basement)?
seems like at least 1-2 too many?

Death match of

RPS_(resized).jpgRPS_(resized).jpg

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Meh....
seems pretty simply:
kill the 2 that have dates attached because..... who the hell knows what dates of anything jp-related might be.

The OPs could request that, but I don't think we can.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

maybe someday, JJP will do something that will make us think differently.

Nothing JJP does will ever have an impact on your thinking.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

you don't know me and if you did, you'd know that's not true. i'm all for forgiving and forgetting. but for that to happen, we need to see some real games being delivered. that's all. it's not too much to expect from a pinball company that's more than willing to take payments and supply delivery dates.
when the time comes JJP starts to sell games they actually have, i'll have no problem supporting the company. but right now, they sell games on spec and hope for the best. it's just not working out really well.

You are absolutely correct Sir, I do not know you, and you also do not know me. Therefore the only way I can know anything about you is your online persona that I accumulate from reading all of your posts in JJP threads the past few years. And in my recollection of them, my impression of you is not good. You seem to harp and bitch a lot, and you are one of the people that seems to have no actual interest in the game except to bitch about things. From my viewpoint, you appear to have a desire to knock JJP more than a desire to one day own a game he makes. I'm sure if JJP made a machine that you wanted available to you, yes, you would buy from them. As the people that constitute buyers and players of pinball machines, we can be a fickle group. We can all change our minds when a company puts out something we want to own and play. But again, the persona you choose to show me in your online statements in every JJP thread so far isn't one I'd really take the time to get to know better. So the status quo can continue, or... well I leave that up to you to decide.

1 week later
#119 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

JJP posts pictures of the games and assembly line...but it looks like they hardly have anyone working there?!?

Look back at the WOZ threads. That was a constant statement as WOZ was being built. JJP seems to operate differently. They don't run like a full widget assembly line, it seems to be more of a small group taking games all the way through the process.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

If that is the case, how long can a company stay in business operating this way.

What are they at? So I guess that makes the answer At least 4 years!

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

but who cares anymore

Well obviously JoeJet cares. Otherwise he wouldn't be so concerned about the update. You can't say "Who cares" when you follow something closely.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Does anyone remember when WOZ finally went to production, was there a big update from jack full of pictures, posts ect? Or did they kinda do what they are doing now and post pictures of games that no one is sure is actual production games. That should be a tell to whether they are actually in production now or they are just working on the test games.

Jack posted a video of a "cartwheel". He didn't quite get his feet straight up in the air, but he made a good attempt at it. With video of the truck pulling away.

1 week later
#236 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I wasn't around for the WOZ hater days...but this appears to be similar. I'll bet even when JJP ships and customers are happy the haters will probably still just get on here a say it took too long - as hobbit owners report back being thrilled with their pinball machines. I have decided not to ignore the hater posts - I just see them as noise that I just scroll on by.

Not only will they be here, they will get louder. If a plastic in a game cracks they will screaming for an investigation. There will never be enough cars in the parking lot for them. Every minor issue will be a federal case and they will demand that Jack should replace machines on location that are in bad condition because the operators don't maintain them.

In other words, they will do everything they can to make sure you don't enjoy the game, and every flaw is another attack vector for them. Fun times.

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Sorry you consider past facts trolling...

Actually most of it was an opinion IMO.

#404 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

A negative opinion stated is one thing.
Hobbit Update 2016 - 12 posts
Hobbit Update 2015 - 15 posts
Hobbit Update - 32 posts
Hobbit Update 2016 Basement - 9 posts (last post complaining about being called a troll in this thread)
JJP Talking Point - 21
We want our games - 32
Other Hobbit and JJP threads, xxxx
An negative opinion stated over 120 times is another

Yaaaa
I don't have skin in the game. I played Hobbit at a Christmas party 2014 and at Pintastic. I was blown away. I would love to own one but that is a big price tag on one game. I come to this thread for actual updates but 9 out of 10 posts are from the same people with something negative to say. It gets freakin tired. Sorry, I'm not meaning to single you out, I just checked in "again" and you were the last one posting here and in the basement version. Don't take this personally there are others who actually do it more but they seem a bit, well, unstable.

Prepare for him to call you a stalker... Because that is what trolls do when you point out how much they are trolling.

#461 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Still an awesome video.
Wonder why the ball slows down to almost a halt when it turn the corner on inlanes.
Noticed that in previous videos. Looks like it's in the final version?
Maybe it's to do with double inlanes?
Also laughing at smaug callout on ball lock

That is from the double inlanes. As you saw, the ball flew through the outer inlane. But in the inner, it hits a sharp angle as it comes down. To change that they would have to sacrifice the outer inlane flow.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

I hope this counts as an actual update .

It does!!! Thanks for posting that.

I realize the game was just pulled out and set up, but the setup needs to be tweaked a bit. It definitely needs more pitch in my opinion, and a quick adjustment on the flipper power to compensate. I want to see it playing fast and smooth like it would in someones house. Though, I like games to be setup fast, so take that with a grain of salt.

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from Radagast:

Does anyone know if the LE is actually Limited to a certain number, or more of the equivalent of Stern's Premium models?

Fanboy: They are limited to 1500 I think. When the Smaug was announced, people that had ordered the LE had the option of switching over. So their vacated LE number could be resold. Because of that switch, I doubt all 1500 LEs are sold yet.

#519 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Hey....if making fun of the size of my collection makes ya feel better about still not having a Hobbit, by all means, proceed!

I'm surprised you don't have Ghostbusters listed yet. What is taking so long?

3 weeks later
#669 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

This was more of a "FINE, I"LL MAKE THE FLIPPER DO SOMETHING" rule than anything else.

Isn't that the purpose of every single thing in a pinball machine? To do something? If there is a standup do you think the programmer is sitting there saying "FINE, I"LL MAKE THE STANDUP DO SOMETHING"?

Were you sitting there saying "FINE, I"LL MAKE THIS PINSIDE POST DO SOMETHING"?

#747 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you can't understand a game within 10 plays then it's a failed game IMHO. Doesn't mean there can't be more to discover, but if you don't understand the game after that kind of time then it was designed badly.
I don't think Hobbit a failed game or impossible to understand in 10 plays just to be clear.

I disagree. I love that part of the discovery the first times I play a game. I like when games almost seem random at first, because I want to dig into it. What caused X, how do I do Y, all of it. I really like when I get the first hook into a game. If it is a multiball or a mode, it starts to lead me to more. I'm totally fine with that taking more than 10 games because I learn how the game feels to me. Is just blindly shooting it at first satisfying or not? All games are equal the first time you play them.

And I tend not to cheat. I usually don't like to read how to do things before playing the game. I want to discover it over some amount of games.

1 week later
#961 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What's the technical / official name for the 'hammered' or mottled powdercoats? Is there one?

The technical name is "Unpatchable".

(Ok, pardon, I know that isn't it, but I just had a lockdown bar on a Jumping Jack I just picked up that looked like someone dropped and it had a burr right on the left palm place. A little wet dry sandpaper, and a bit of buffing and you can't even tell it was there. I'm always concerned about rings and things bashing the lockdown bar on newer powdercoated games).

1 week later
#1123 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have the owner call JJP support. I'm not sure what other suggestion you are looking for. Unless the location gives you the keys and you do their repairs, you're just wasting time.

#1125 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

and figures out that it's a loose connector,

Have you checked it for a loose connector?

#1187 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

No one seems to care that Smaug went from "interacting with the Ball in three different ways" to "Smaug, who can talk to you and steal your pinballs" to "Smaug sculpture taunts you", or that the moving outlane ballguide meant for aiming the windlance was quietly removed somewhere along the way (or maybe it was broken on the game I played? But it didn't look like it could move.).
It doesn't seem to matter that not much is left of the original concept.

It was a big ruckus when it changed. But we've all known that change for what, a year now? Things always change along the way when designing and building pinball machines. Ideas that sound good may not work right when the whitewood is built. License holders may not approve of some interactions. We only even know it existed in the first place because JJP tells us things about games years in advance. Don't worry, plenty of people have smashed on JJP because Smaug doesn't eat pinballs.

#1222 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Good to hear all the great news about the Hobbit. I got an email from Jen last week saying i will be getting mine the week of April 18th. I told Jen if she calls me Monday and says its shipping, I will let R & L do so. But, if she calls me on Wednesday or Thursday and tells me its shipping, i told her to hold it. I will take off Friday and drive up to get it. NJ is a 5 hour drive but i could have it Friday in lieu of waiting all weekend into the following week.

I did that roadtrip to pick up my WOZ at the factory. It was an absolute adventure! I was lucky as heck that Jack was in the office that day, and he gave me a tour of the factory and signed the box for me. If you can swing it that way, I highly recommend doing it.

#1260 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

TZ shooter spring is much stronger than the one in TH.

It is very common that the shooter spring on Twilight Zone was swapped out over the course of the games life. So a lot of them are full power springs now, but they are supposed to be the weaker one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.