image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

How does JJP define "production?"

I don't know how JJP is defining it, but I would define production as beginning when prototyping/testing is finished, the design/BOM is finalized and building commences.

The build may start with sub assemblies, harnesses, cabinets, etc as that is all part and parcel to producing the machines.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok based on JJP games were suppose to start shipping in February, 2016. So the countdown begins.

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hideimage_(resized).jpeg

I think your countdown needs to show "41 Days Left".

#211 8 years ago

Hmm...it looks like they decided not to powder coat the wireforms.

Pinchroma, do you know if this is the case?

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe they're only doing it for the Smaug Gold SE's?

Both were supposed to have it.

#250 8 years ago

Not sure if it will be there or not. If I remember correctly, JJP said they would be powdercoated at one point in time.

But, the fine print on the flyer also says "Subject to change with or without notice". So, any items may change before the machine is shipped. I suppose you can always get a refund if the changes bother you enough.

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

This is the problem pre-order people have, including myself. We are tired of hearing negative things about JJP, Jack, the time frame, etc from those who don't have skin in the game.

I'm a pre-orderer and I don't necessarily mind hearing negative things from people who don't have "skin" in the game. This is a pinball forum and everyone is entitled to share their opinion. I think honest discussion is a good thing.

However, when I see the same individuals popping up in every JJP thread, expressing their negative opinions and speculations over and over again (regardless of the topic) when they aren't even a pre-orderer it does get tiring and it strikes me as being dishonest. Especially as their posts contribute to much of the drama and derailment in the threads.

They are often the first to point out that JJP supporters can't handle anything negative. I think the reality is, people who have been in on WOZ and the Hobbit over the past 4-5 years have lost all tolerance for THEIR speculation and negative posts. Hence some supporters strong reactions to what on the surface look like minor criticisms.

It makes me wonder what kind of personal problems they have with JJP that would drive them to spend so much time and energy dogging the company.

#399 8 years ago

Let me add that LOWEPG is one of the few individuals that even though I think he has a problem with JJP and his posts are usually critical in nature, he strikes me as being mostly objective and able to contribute honestly to a discussion.

#426 8 years ago

I also got the call that my 11/26/2012 order is on the line.

On one hand, I'm anxious to get it. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind waiting until production is a little further along.

In the end, I guess I'm an optimist and will roll the dice.

3 weeks later
#584 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Hey, anyone else notice they went back to the industrial WOZ style support rails?

You're right. I forgot they we're going to go with some other system. Really like those rails on WOZ.

I wonder if there is something in the cabinet that helps the playfield support all that weight in the middle (if it needs it)?

2 weeks later
#751 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you can't understand a game within 10 plays then it's a failed game IMHO. Doesn't mean there can't be more to discover, but if you don't understand the game after that kind of time then it was designed badly.
I don't think Hobbit a failed game or impossible to understand in 10 plays just to be clear.

I think the best games are ones that offer some easy to understand shots that make cool stuff happen immediately to draw you in, but then add layers of complexity that you discover the more you play to keep you interested.

#760 8 years ago

The thing I really like about Keith's rulesets is that he gives plenty of intermediate objectives that feel great when completed and allow you to see new things in the game. I have yet to reach Valinor in LOTR but every mode or multiball completed feels like an accomplishment.

I find I prefer this style of game as compared to Lyman's recent rulesets where the complexity is more scoring based, ie. locking in shot multipliers, song bonuses, etc..

I think I would be happy if the Hobbit turned out to be like a LOTR on steroids.

#763 8 years ago

And so it begins...

Hobbit_275_(resized).JPGHobbit_275_(resized).JPG

#767 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is this yours???

Yes.

Excited to get it even though the smart thing would be to wait until they have more games through production. Ah well, someone has to be a beta tester.

#768 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Did JJP send you that? Are you customer number 1?

Yes. Not number one, but in the first five.

#771 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Date you get it

Mine is one of the first off the line but I probably won't be one of the first to get it. Waiting on a couple of friends' machines to get finished for a group shipment. Soon though.

#775 8 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Congrats! Keep us posted, love to see some unboxing photos and first impressions.

Better yet, maybe you should stop by when it arrives.

#874 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I'm assuming that nobody who's not affiliated has gotten a call. Who knows...

I got the call a couple of days ago but am waiting for a couple of friend's machines to be completed to save money with a group ship.

Like seeing your food sitting under the heat lamp at the restaurant waiting to be picked up.....arghh.

3 weeks later
#1275 7 years ago

Unboxed the Hobbit LE over the weekend with some friends. We played it for about 5 hours straight then my wife and I played it a bunch the next day.

tl:dr Game is stunning in person. After seeing lots of photos and gameplay videos, the sound and animation quality was still better than expected. As was the fit and finish. The modes require you to play all the shots, they are fun and beg to be explored. A real shooters game, fast and fun when set up steep. Seems like many of the modes and rules are in place with the current code and there is plenty to explore, but needs mode completion and dwarf collection awards, more Smaug speech and other polish to elevate it to the next level.

Full Report

1) Game was very fun to me and my wife. Friends also seemed to enjoy the game and kept getting back in line to play. It has a good mix of easy and difficult shots, many satisfying to hit. Fantastic sound quality, content and animations. Also fun to watch others play to see all the cool animations and try to figure out what's going on. Layout seems somewhat forgiving, ie. missed ramps don't go SDTM, though don't let the spider tempt you into hitting it straight on from the right flipper, it can be death. Thus far, ball times are generally short.

Ring button is integrated nicely and used often. Golem outlane ball save is fun and challenging.

2) I think the Hobbit is unique in the quantity and variety of modes offered; ie. single shot, multiple shots, multiple stages, hurry-up, go for points, to name a few. All choreographed to events in the movies with accompanying sounds and animations. Like LOTR on steroids. Mini LCD and playfield lights do an excellent job of guiding you. Also like LOTR, you don't know how many shots are needed to complete a mode until you've played them enough to remember the requirements and use the sounds, insert lights and animations as indicators.

I really like the mode where a gap in the drop targets is moving around the playfield and you have to hit the yellow stand-up targets and avoid the drops. Hit a stand-up and the gap moves faster. I think it takes two or three shots to complete.

Also like the way time is indicated on the mini lcd and how time can be added to extend a mode.

3) Fit and finish is very good. Glassy smooth clear coat on playfield. Armor is a beautiful mottled dark copper color. Standard decals look great, semi glossy and very high res.

4) Game plays fast but I set it up steep (front levelers all the way in, about 3/8" of the rear leveler's threads peeking above the inside of the leg).

5) Pop-up covers and rollovers can affect the trajectory of a slow moving ball at times (for good and bad) so you have to stay on your toes.

6) Out of the box adjustments:
a. game was DOA. Removing and reinserting the power box fuse got it working.

7) Issues
a. ball bounces out of the left outer wireform when it hits the end.
i. bending the end loop up a bit mostly eliminated the bounce outs.

b. once, ball got stuck in pop-up as it was closing. Ball search could not raise the pop-up to clear it.
i. believe I read elsewhere this can be adjusted. Will experiment with it and report back.

c. sometimes the goblin pop-up goes up then immediately drops back down.
i. suspect needs more debounce to the switch in software.

8 ) Code Status - too early to comment much, but most noticeable things missing.
a. nothing happens after completing a mode (no bonus points).
b. no obvious reward for completing dwarves.

Conclusion
a. Still in the honeymoon phase but I'm very happy with the game and I want to keep hitting the start button.

Edit: Let me add that I'm biased towards games like the Hobbit because I prefer games that offer new things to see and hear as you advance over games that have mostly scoring based objectives.

#1276 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I haven't heard anyone imply it wasn't by design aside from the post I was responding to and I most certainly was trying to say that it IS by design. So yeah, brains and such.
Edit: and even he thought it was by design, just possibly a parts sourcing problem - which it's not.

I agree that it is by design. A full plunge will usually hit the targets in the same place, allowing you to time the target. After playing a bunch of games, hitting the target is risky as it can result in a SDTM drain depending on where you hit the target (you lose your ball save if you hit the target). So further fine tuning your timing is required. They could make a setting to cycle the drop target faster each time you complete that skill shot to increase the difficulty.

I don't think I want to make the shot more difficult by putting in a stronger spring.

Also, sweeping the LOCK targets is a sweet skill shot and requires the softer spring, as does going for the inlane skill shot.

#1278 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Tspp has almost the exact same ball launch (across mid pf) and the plunger is also weak (at least on mine). But it needs to be in order to hit some of the skill shots esp. comic book guy. Both are Joe Balcer/Kieth Johnson games. So I'm assuming it's deliberate.
Is it so weak that it doesn't make it across the pf with enough speed to hit a target?

Probably varies a bit from game to game, but a full plunge on mine hits the "W" consistently.

#1346 7 years ago
Quoted from klinde1:

If I set it up to steep it jumps off the wireform about 25% of the time. For the time being I have found a compromise position that works well that is not floaty, with only an occasional ball hang up which is easily put back in play with a slap of the cabinet. I have never had one stuck that I had to remove the glass.

I bent the end loop of the outermost left wire form up maybe a 1/16". Way less bounce outs as the ball is directed downwards when it hits the end on all but the fastest shots..

3 months later
#1452 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How did you get it to 100%?
Mine is nowhere close to this. I have got to the point where stuck balls occur very rarely, but I still have the ball jump off the wireform far too often.

Bending the end loop up helps but doesn't fix the problem 100%.

Some people put a spacer on the last wireform mounting screw to lift the wireform and slow the ball down.
IMG_5217_(resized).JPGIMG_5217_(resized).JPG

I filed down the middle of the last two cross bars so the ball doesn't hit them and bounce out.
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpgIMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg

Both methods fix the problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.