Topic Stats

• 1,529 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 31.
#301 4 years ago

The ads on Mr Pin from Automated Services are slightly different. Please note the LE is "ready to" and the Smaug is "Should be ready". So that lets you know the production order a little better. Glad I live a few minutes from Mike.

Hobbit Limited Edition, 2016 Jersey Jack: 8495.00
Ready to ship by 3/1/16 at the latest. Hold yours with a $500 refundable deposit. Authorized distributor - credit cards accepted.
Michael, Phone: 203-877-0348
Milford, Connecticut 06460
Posted: 25 January 2016

Hobbit Smaug Edition, 2016 Jersey Jack: 8995.00
Should be ready to ship 3/1/2016. Hold yours with a $500 refundable deposit. Authorized distributor - Credit cards accepted.
Michael, Phone: 203-877-0348
Milford, Connecticut 06460
Posted: 25 January 2016

#302 4 years ago

So....
Does anyone know if testing is over and are they are actually making retail units yet?

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So....
Does anyone know if testing is over and are they are actually making retail units yet?

Nobody knows but JJP

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Wow, distributors taking orders with guaranteed ship date of March 1 "at the latest". It sounds like you may be able to jump the lines...

No connection, just a curious specatator...

March 1 is like 35 days from now. I'm dubious they'll be shipping by then.

#305 4 years ago

Maybe JJP should have advertised for people to help play the test machines - I would have gladly volunteered to help flush out any issues! And the testing would have been done quicker!!!

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So....

Jen told me about 2 weeks ago that there were 25 machines in various stages of production.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Jen told me about 2 weeks ago that there were 25 machines in various stages of production.

Jack told me 2 years ago I would have my game...

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

That means that she was looking at 25 boxes of parts.

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

That means that she was looking at 25 boxes of parts.

I don't mean to be incendiary, but that is the funniest goddamn thing I have read on Pinside in a long time.

#310 4 years ago

December 2016 doesn't seem like such a far-fetched jab anymore......

#311 4 years ago

While waiting for info, a small Suicide Squad styled distraction...

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

December 2016 doesn't seem like such a far-fetched jab anymore......

I would be happy to get mine this year.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I would be happy to get mine this year.

Well, the joke is that the FIRST one would be delivered in December 2016.....

Agreed that many would be happy just getting theirs sometime this year.

#314 4 years ago

I was told I would get my Smaug April, 2016. We shall see.

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I was told I would get my Smaug April, 2016. We shall see.

I was told I would get mine Dec 2014

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Things are a little different now. Don't you think?

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Yes. There are no direct print cabinets and no powder coated wireforms.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

How do you like it?

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Actually, the EXACT same number of TH machines have shipped in Dec 2014 as Dec 2015....so not so much had changed.

You think machines are going to start shipping "real soon", he probably thought (was promised?) the exact same thing in Dec 2014, Jan 2015, Feb 2015, Mar 2015, Apr 2015, Jun 2015, Jul 2015, Aug 2015, Sep 2015, .....

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Actually, the EXACT same number of TH machines have shipped in Dec 2014 as Dec 2015....so not so much had changed.
You think machines are going to start shipping "real soon", he probably thought (was promised?) the exact same thing in Dec 2014, Jan 2015, Feb 2015, Mar 2015, Apr 2015, Jun 2015, Jul 2015, Aug 2015, Sep 2015, .....

When did you preorder the hobbit?

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

When did you preorder the hobbit?

Yawn.
I'm going to shock you and let you in on a secret:
Some people prefer to buy stuff that they've seen, is finished and is shipping.
So, if I decide to buy a Hobbit, I'll be ORDERING, not PREordering.

Thanks for playing!

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Distributers could of bought games on day 1.
My Woz came from Nic Parks at Pinball company and he bought 50 Woz's on day 1.

The bigger question is whether distributors had to stay current on the same payment schedule as individual buyers for all of the day 1 orders. I don't mind 50 distributor day 1 games in front of mine, so long as they plunked down the same $$$'s PER GAME, per installment, as me and on the same schedule. Of course we'll never know...

For the record, I have an e-mail from Jen detailing that they started taking orders on 11/26/12 (not sure if distributors were in before this or not), and my order was on 11/28/12 with about 175 "people" in front of me.

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

The bigger question is whether distributors had to stay current on the same payment schedule as individual buyers for all of the day 1 orders. I don't mind 50 distributor day 1 games in front of mine, so long as they plunked down the same $1000's PER GAME, per installment, as my one on the same schedule (I personally doubt it).
Of course we'll never know...

Talking to distributors @ IAAPA - yes. Some paid the schedule out early, too. Hundreds of thousands of dollars on the hook.

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

The bigger question is whether distributors had to stay current on the same payment schedule as individual buyers for all of the day 1 orders. I don't mind 50 distributor day 1 games in front of mine, so long as they plunked down the same $1000's PER GAME, per installment, as one on the same schedule. Of course we'll never know...
For the record, I have an e-mail from Jen detailing that they started taking orders on 11/26/12 (not sure if distributors were in before this or not), and my order was on 11/28/12 with about 175 "people" in front of me.

Yes, We had to pay just like you guys do. PinballSTAR has about 100 Hobbits and it stings to front that much cash, but that's what you need to do to have early inventory. We did that so we can offer earlier games to our customers. Some smaller distributors (JJP or Stern I'm sure) might order 10 of something, sell 10, then later re-order more - when we rebuy we are at the end of the line for those new orders just like everyone else.

We also had to convert our LEs or buy Smaugs by 12/31/13 like everyone else, and also put additional money down on them. And we had to increase our payments as time went on like everyone else. It's same for distributors as it is for customers, it's all fair. And someone before mentioned Smaugs - we have a number still available for sale - and that's only because we had to buy before the deadline them way back then like everyone else. I can't get an extra Smaug now if I wanted it.

Finally, just because we ordered 100 or whatever on Day 1 doesn't mean we get them all before anyone else - sure we'll get some in bunches up front, but again, out of fairness they are spread out over time - some for us, some for customers who ordered direct. In many cases we get our all of our games way after people who ordered later than us - but that's a good thing too given we then have time to sell and bring cash in to pay off the final balances on our invoices.

Just thought I would add since there seem to be many questions about the process. Hope this helps answers some questions honestly.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
Authorized JJP Distributor
Sales@PinballSTAR.com
570-357-0042

#325 4 years ago

Funny. I have the same reaction every time I see you post in this thread.

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

The bigger question is whether distributors had to stay current on the same payment schedule as individual buyers for all of the day 1 orders. I don't mind 50 distributor day 1 games in front of mine, so long as they plunked down the same $$$'s PER GAME, per installment, as me and on the same schedule. Of course we'll never know...

175 orders =/= 175 pins ahead of you.

But you already knew that.

Lots of waiting to go!

#327 4 years ago

There will be people who put money down on Hobbit 4 years before getting their pin. Ouch.

#328 4 years ago

I paid in full 3 years ago.

#329 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Yes, We had to pay just like you guys do. PinballSTAR has about 100 Hobbits and it stings to front that much cash, but that's what you need to do to have early inventory.

In many cases we get our all of our games way after people who ordered later than us - but that's a good thing too given we then have time to sell and bring cash in to pay off the final balances on our invoices.
Just thought I would add since there seem to be many questions about the process. Hope this helps answers some questions honestly.
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
Authorized JJP Distributor
Sales@PinballSTAR.com
570-357-0042

So which is it, you say in the first sentence that you had to pay on the same schedule as us. but your last sentences say its good that you get batches so that you can get the money to pay off your invoice.

If you wree like us, then your invoice would already be paid for.

#330 4 years ago

Thanks Joe!

That's why Joe is my distributor. He is a straight shooter and a stand up guy.

#331 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Thanks Joe!
That's why Joe is my distributor. He is a straight shooter and a stand up guy.

+1 to this. Super Happy with my recent PinballSTAR transactions - Joe's great to his customers and even better for Pinball is having folks like Joe in the industry.

Recently, in fact I've had a bunch of just stellar interactions with various pinball people, private sellers and small companies. When I get time I'll take that to it's own thread though.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from vidgameseller:

So which is it, you say in the first sentence that you had to pay on the same schedule as us. but your last sentences say its good that you get batches so that you can get the money to pay off your invoice.
If you wree like us, then your invoice would already be paid for.

I am number 3 in the q and I still owe some.

#333 4 years ago

You guys will most likely see machines available immediately for new money. You saw it on woz, you'll see it here. Shouldn't be a surprise. They probably need new money to make all the machines IMO.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

You guys will most likely see machines available immediately for new money. You saw it on woz, you'll see it here. Shouldn't be a surprise. They probably need new money to make all the machines IMO.

IMO you need a new hobby besides trolling JJP threads

#335 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yawn.
Thanks for playing!

Exactly what I thought. Lmao.

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

IMO you need a new hobby besides trolling JJP threads

You need to get a life and not be such a blind fanboy.

Sorry you consider past facts trolling...

#337 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I enjoy your contrarian posts for the most part, but you have stated this many times before. Everyone knows this already, hence why some here are growing irritated.

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Actually most of it was an opinion IMO.

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

ConTroll yourself chessiv....

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yawn.
Thanks for playing!

I'm going to shock you and let you in on a secret too

If the preorder people that you keep bashing didn't preorder, there would very likely not be a hobbit for you to order at all.

So perhaps instead of making preorder customers feel like an idiot, perhaps a thank you for taking on the risk would be more relevant?

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

ConTroll yourself chessiv....

Calm down, hipster! I'm sure TH will start shipping on the 30th......of December.

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

What's wrong with being a fanboy? WOZ is simply incredible - superior to Stern on so many levels. What we've seen so far with the Hobbit has been even more impressive than WOZ. And the theme is more appealing to most of us as well.

As for being blind - I guess that's somewhat true as none of us had insight into the private financial situation of JJP. At the time, the pre-order model had been successful with WOZ so it seemed relatively low risk. It all got pretty scary after the JPOP/SkitB implosion and the JJP unpaid vendor rumors.

But for all of us that kept the faith and didn't pull our deposits, we say "you're welcome" as we had a part in helping keep the dream alive!

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I'm going to shock you and let you in on a secret too
If the preorder people that you keep bashing didn't preorder, there would very likely not be a hobbit for you to order at all.
So perhaps instead of making preorder customers feel like an idiot, perhaps a thank you for taking on the risk would be more relevant?

Guy is buying his first pin ever wants a thank you?

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I am number 3 in the q and I still owe some.

Based on the original payment schedule as offered in 2012, and assuming one made all payments on time (and didn't pay up front in full), at this time one should have a $1000 outstanding balance on an original pre-order price of $7500 plus shipping. This is my situation and I was never late on a payment.

I've heard that some people have larger outstanding balances than this, and I can only assume that they stopped making payments at some point. Whether that will be fully held against them I do not know. I seem to remember a few "amnesty" periods over the last few years to come current with payment or be bumped down the line.

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Not sure why the thumbs down on this comment as this was what JJP did in the past and more than likely will do again! I am in on TH and expect this to happen! Anyone that doesn't expect it to happen I will wait to read your post/question in the future "how are new buyers getting their machines before me when I paid in full years ago"!

#346 4 years ago

At IAPPA, I was only able to play The Hobbit briefly. I picked up someone elses' ball #2, had a blast and moved to let some others in. That was enough for me (combined with my experiences with what I consider to be the superbly built WOZ) to go and order a Hobbit.

(I've never even seen the movie, don't care about the franchise - I just liked the pin.)

I'm late coming in to this but I just want to say that I'm really thankful for the distributors that have ponied up serious money to JJP (Joe @ PinballSTAR, Michael @ Automated, Nic @ The Pinball Company, I'm sure Trent is probably in here too and others that I don't know about) and to the individuals who bought in early. You guys supporting stuff like this gives us options for pins and creates a market force for innovation and quality that may not already be here.

I've been watching these threads and I know there's a lot of frustration on slipped deadlines and promises but I think in the end The Hobbit is going to be well worth the wait.

My uneducated speculation:
Reading back to when WoZ was in this stage of development, I think the way this is going to work (correct me if I'm wrong) - is that now that production is underway - a small batch (maybe that 25 number that was kicked around earlier) will go out to Distributors, Retailers, some overseas locations and 'specials.' (Smithsonian, WB Press Offices, close friends and testers to JJP Inc). Places that will get visibility on the machine where folks can start playing it or drive a round of marketing carrying the good news that "The Hobbit is here!"

All the time, production keeps rolling and feedback starts coming in from this early distribution of games. Support requests, code tweaks or hardware weaknesses that maybe haven't been identified in Final Test come up at this point and facilitate development priorities, parts reorders, etc. Then the floodgates open and beautiful Hobbit Pinball machines depart the icey-hellscape of New Jersey to smiling fanboys like me, as fast as they can make them.

I'm (speculating based on various sources) that this early batch goes out - imminently - (week or two).

At any rate. Hang in there. My Hobbit senses are tingling. Good things are worth the wait.

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Maybe. Or maybe Jack would have had to risk his OWN money.... or borrowed.... and developed a product, built it and sold it when it was completed....like companies have done for centuries before crowdfunding became stylish.

Quoted from Goronic:

So perhaps instead of making preorder customers feel like an idiot,

If you feel dumb for pre-ordering, that sounds more like YOUR issues, not mine. I was simply making a point to refute the morons who insist someone MUST have tied up their money for 2-3 years to have interest on the progress of this machine.

Quoted from Goronic:

perhaps a thank you for taking on the risk would be more relevant?

Na. Maybe on WoZ, but taking preorder money on game2? Not so much....
To be fair, I also didn't "thank" the Predator or Magic Girl preorder people either, so don't feel bad.

Frankly, I think folks tripping over themselves to prepay for stuff at some point becomes counterproductive for pinball.

And I'm not picking on JJP here:
I feel there same way about people that "prepay" for Stern LE slots
People that buy Stern machines on day 1, KNOWING the code isn't complete
etc, etc.

It incents the wrong behaviors from the manufacturers.

Anyways, I'm not saying you or anyone is stupid, (well, you might be, but not necessarily JUST as a result of being a JJP customer*) it's your money. However, neither JJP (not DP, not Stern, etc) gets my money without being able to deliver a real product.

*tongue-in-cheek comment. Specifically noted for the thin-skinned, those with poor reading skills and/or those lacking a sense of humor.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Maybe. Or maybe Jack would have had to risk his OWN money.... or borrowed.... and developed a product, built it and sold it when it was completed....like companies have done for centuries before crowdfunding because stylish.

If you feel dumb for pre-ordering, that sounds more like YOUR issues, not mine. I was simply making a point to refute the morons who insist someone MUST have tied up their money for 2-3 years to have interest on the progress of this machine.

Na. Maybe on WoZ, but taking preorder money on game2? Not so much....
To be fair, I also didn't "thank" the Predator or Magic Girl preorder people either, so don't feel bad.
Frankly, I think folks tripping over themselves to prepay for stuff at some point becomes counterproductive for pinball.
And I'm not picking on JJP here:
I feel there same way about people that "prepay" for Stern LE slots
People that buy Stern machines on day 1, KNOWING the code isn't complete
etc, etc.
It incents the wrong behaviors from the manufacturers.
Anyways, I'm not saying you or anyone is stupid, (well, you might be, but not necessarily JUST as a result of being a JJP customer*) it's your money. However, neither JJP (not DP, not Stern, etc) gets my money without being able to deliver a real product.
*tongue-in-cheek comment. Specifically noted for the thin-skinned, those with poor reading skills and/or those lacking a sense of humor.

Nailed it.

#349 4 years ago

Love the back-n-forth BS in these threads!

For me, I'm pretty confident I will never pre-order a pinball machine again after dealing with this. Live and learn. That said, can't wait to get this damn machine!

The most frustrating part, for me, is the lack of information, good or bad, directly from JJP during the whole process. If regular updates - say every two to three weeks or so - were given, I think a lot of people would have been happier. Even if there is a setback or no progress, tell your devoted customers. Be honest. You might lose some customers along the way (probably not much more than were lost with the amount of updates actually provided), but I wholeheartedly believe it would have brought in more people in the long run...

Wouldn't ask for 100% transparency, but a little more translucence would have gone a long way...!

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ab so fuckin lutey!!!!

it already is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Pinckney, MI
There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside