Topic Stats

• 1,529 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 31.
#251 3 years ago

Has anyone emailed Jack to ask?

Let's do that to stop another 5 pages of drivelling BS!

#252 3 years ago

What are the number limit for the LE and Smaug editions?

#253 3 years ago

Let's talk options - you can get the playfield protector and/or the extra thick decals. Any thoughts on these two items?

#254 3 years ago

most have stated they think the playfield protector is overkill for HUO. I would think that would be more for routed pins that might get a lot of abuse. And seeing how my SE won't ever move once its sitting in my theater room, I don't think the decals are needed either.

#255 3 years ago

Do the LE/SE Hobbit come with shaker and invisi-glass?

#256 3 years ago

Yes they do

#257 3 years ago

Emailed Jack directly.
Really good of him to reply on a Sunday

Answer is no the witeforms will not be powdercoated on any model.

It's amazing what you can find out if you just ASK!
Saves 4 pages of BS speculation.

#258 3 years ago

Thank you! A true update. Very refreshing.

#259 3 years ago

I like the way the uncoated wireforms look. The shine stands out well above that beautiful playfield

#260 3 years ago

Whole email

image_(resized).png

#261 3 years ago

They look good.

I might take mine off and get the gold plated. Inclux -mix of gold & Nickle polished. Gold in colour but Nickle makes them hard wearing.

No big deal

#262 3 years ago

Most disappointing. I checked the thread hoping for page after page of speculation and Dave you went and ruined it by posting facts. That's simply not the pinball way.....

#263 3 years ago

Thanks Pinhead!

#264 3 years ago

Sorry John!

Will use Douglas plating round your way for the wireforms!

Anything else I can confirm for you guys

#265 3 years ago

I hear what u are saying about overkill but then is everyone going to post how they put Mylar patches where the ball drops off the wire habitrail returns? Or some other high wear place? I think I will be getting the field protector. Still want to hear more views on this topic

#266 3 years ago

Hate to see TH lose another feature, but perhaps it's for the best. Hopefully the powdercoated wireforms slowed the ball (like Jack says) and this wasn't a cost saving measure. Jack giveth, and Jack taketh away. Regardless, the thing looks stunning.

#267 3 years ago

I'm not sure if I am willing to part with $400 for the better decals in my Smaug Edition for a game that will be HUO. Has anyone seen them and have a strong opinion either way? I've decided to "go commando" and skip the field protector.

EDIT: I talked with Jen yesterday and decided to get the upgraded decals. I plan on keeping the pin for a very long time.

#268 3 years ago

Tempted to get the playfield protector just to cover me until all the Cliffy's are available.

#269 3 years ago

Stainless looks great and remember the pages and pages of discussion on the kicker axes......they are very subtle and I have no problem with them as well. Beautiful table

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Tempted to get the playfield protector just to cover me until all the Cliffy's are available.

Is it a PIA to remove?

#271 3 years ago

Can't see the need for a playfield protector for HUO machines. Waste of money IMO.

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

It's amazing what you can find out if you just ASK!
Saves 4 pages of BS speculation.

But what would we accomplish on Pinside then.

#273 3 years ago

I have playfield protectors on my ACDC and LOTR. Installed them myself about 2 years ago. Did it just because they were new and I wanted to see what they were like on my HUO NIB machines. Not a pain to install or remove - just have to be able to strip and reassemble a playfield (thank goodness for digital cameras). They don't affect the playing of the games, make the playfield look very shiny, haven't shown up any scratches in all this time. I do agree it's probably overkill for HUO games, but does stop dimpling from ball strikes on the playfield.

My only concern on TH is the pop- up characters. These protectors all have an edge which is unavoidable. I don't know how much of a gap will be left between the tops of the "traps" and the protectors. May just cause a little ball deviation, but purely speculation until I see one in action. If you are unsure, I wouldn't bother, but for routed games it nice of JJP to go to the trouble of offering them, and installing them!

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

I hear what u are saying about overkill but then is everyone going to post how they put Mylar patches where the ball drops off the wire habitrail returns? Or some other high wear place? I think I will be getting the field protector. Still want to hear more views on this topic

Ball drops always get mylar from Factory.. circles or squares, not needed to cover the whole thing.. massive overkill for HUO.

#275 3 years ago

JJP started putting Mylar on high wear areas with WOZ starting early 2015 (mine had it) so I expect Hobbit to have them as well. Someone should probably confirm this to make sure. Might rule out the need for the full protector.

#276 3 years ago

What I have heard is that the PF protector needs the playfield to be previously stripped before installing it, so is not easy to remove once installed. So If you go ahead and get one, It w¡ll be there for ever, unless you want to spend hours working with your pinball.

Apart from that I'm concerned about the possibility of that stuff slowing or interfering the ball rolling in some way so I ordered mine without that feature for now. With the cliffys and the required mylar protectors in critical areas you should be all good for a HUO pinball, and also save $150 in an allready very expensive toy.

#277 3 years ago

Wow, distributors taking orders with guaranteed ship date of March 1 "at the latest". It sounds like you may be able to jump the lines...

Hobbit Limited Edition, 2016 Jersey Jack: 8495.00
Ready to ship by 3/1/16 at the latest. Hold yours with a $500 refundable deposit. Authorized distributor - credit cards accepted.
Michael, Phone: 203-877-0348

No connection, just a curious specatator...

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I have playfield protectors on my ACDC and LOTR. Installed them myself about 2 years ago. Did it just because they were new and I wanted to see what they were like on my HUO NIB machines. Not a pain to install or remove - just have to be able to strip and reassemble a playfield (thank goodness for digital cameras). They don't affect the playing of the games, make the playfield look very shiny, haven't shown up any scratches in all this time. I do agree it's probably overkill for HUO games, but does stop dimpling from ball strikes on the playfield.
My only concern on TH is the pop- up characters. These protectors all have an edge which is unavoidable. I don't know how much of a gap will be left between the tops of the "traps" and the protectors. May just cause a little ball deviation, but purely speculation until I see one in action. If you are unsure, I wouldn't bother, but for routed games it nice of JJP to go to the trouble of offering them, and installing them!

Hi there, I thought I should explain why I thumb downed your post. I have a pf protector installed on my LOTR and it does impact ball physics, it has to as it has different physical qualitites to a surfaced playfield. I would say it's the degree to which it affects play that it is up for debate...

IMO the plastic protector seems to offer less friction. This characteristic irritates me at times but not enough to remove the protector.

p.s. I'm in for a TH and have opted 'no' for installation of a pf protector, logic being that JJPs pf are of a better quality than Stern's were at that time

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Wow, distributors taking orders with guaranteed ship date of March 1 "at the latest". It sounds like you may be able to jump the lines...

No connection, just a curious specatator...

Distributers could of bought games on day 1.

My Woz came from Nic Parks at Pinball company and he bought 50 Woz's on day 1.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

It also looks like the start button is recessed into the cabinet unlike WOZ.

For the sake of route play I think the bulged out button is better. I've seen many people coin up Stern and B/W games and then spend the next minute trying to figure out how to start a game. They mash the flippers, pull the plunger/push the launch button/pull the gun trigger, and yet still struggle to find that start button.

I think the bulged out start button was smart as far as being easier for non-pinheads to notice.

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

For the sake of route play I think the bulged out button is better. I've seen many people coin up Stern and B/W games and then spend the next minute trying to figure out how to start a game. They mash the flippers, pull the plunger/push the launch button/pull the gun trigger, and yet still struggle to find that start button.
I think the bulged out start button was smart as far as being easier for non-pinheads to notice.

Doesn't it say "start" on the button itself?

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You really don't expect people to read the instructions, do you?

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Hobbit Limited Edition, 2016 Jersey Jack: 8495.00
Ready to ship by 3/1/16 at the latest. Hold yours with a $500 refundable deposit. Authorized distributor - credit cards accepted.
Michael, Phone: 203-877-0348

Good ole Automated services.
http://www.automatedservicesllc.com/

#284 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes. It doesn't make sense why to me, but I'm just explaining what I've seen.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

The engineering sample that I played at MNPinball's place had a still protruding start button, but it wasn't as pronounced as WOZ. It was a little more streamlined which was better, but I still prefer recessed. I don't remember it saying anything on the button just like WOZ's button is blank.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Yes. It doesn't make sense why to me, but I'm just explaining what I've seen.

Maybe instead of a single start button, they should start using player buttons like are found on arcade games.

#287 3 years ago

Something we should know? Fill us in... don't know if that's sincere or sarcastic...

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Something we should know? Fill us in... don't know if that's sincere or sarcastic...

Looked the phone number up, was Automated's. That all.

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The engineering sample that I played at MNPinball's place had a still protruding start button, but it wasn't as pronounced as WOZ. It was a little more streamlined which was better, but I still prefer recessed. I don't remember it saying anything on the button just like WOZ's button is blank.

WOZ button is blank but it says START in big letters underneath the button.

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I have a pf protector installed on my LOTR and it does impact ball physics, it has to as it has different physical qualitites to a surfaced playfield. I would say it's the degree to which it affects play that it is up for debate...
IMO the plastic protector seems to offer less friction. This characteristic irritates me at times but not enough to remove the protector.
p.s. I'm in for a TH and have opted 'no' for installation of a pf protector, logic being that JJPs pf are of a better quality than Stern's were at that time

Have similar experience using a pf protector on Centaur. Ball feels floaty at times, probably due to less friction or "hold". It has a dual property of increasing ball speed too. I don't have any scientific proof of this, just something I know when I see. and Yes, it can become quite irritating to play a game with one installed. It would bother me to have a pf protector on most dmd games. For the simple reason that laws of gravity appear to being mucked with, I won't be ordering a pf protector for TH either.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Automated is the go to Distributor of very few on here, there are many other Distributors that do a lot in the community and on pinside that most of us would rather deal with.

#292 3 years ago

my WOZ has a PF protector and i will have it on my TH also. i could remove it in minutes with scissors if i had too. i may end up routing my games in the future depending on what new titles are released, or sell to fund something else. i think the next guy would enjoy a fresh - new looking PF and he could remove or replace if he wanted too.

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Automated is the go to Distributor of very few on here, there are many other Distributors that do a lot in the community and on pinside that most of us would rather deal with.

I really like the way you put this. It showed a careful attention to wording that I don't see here as much these days.

BTW for those concerned about the PF Protector potentially interfering with gameplay RE: the pop ups, Jack responded within about 5 minutes and said it isn't a problem for the game at all - they got this handled / I'm paraphrasing.

I ordered it for my Hobbit SE. As alluded to here, if its annoying in any way, removal w/ scissors will be quick but I like the idea of protecting The Precious. My game won't be routed but my home-use traffic is more than most.

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

I really like the way you put this. It showed a careful attention to wording that I don't see here as much these days.
BTW for those concerned about the PF Protector potentially interfering with gameplay RE: the pop ups, Jack responded within about 5 minutes and said it isn't a problem for the game at all - they got this handled / I'm paraphrasing.

If there is one thing I do, it's tactful wording.

#295 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Yeah no shit Sherlock, I am pretty fucking good at tactful wording as well!

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Have similar experience using a pf protector on Centaur. Ball feels floaty at times, probably due to less friction or "hold". It has a dual property of increasing ball speed too. I don't have any scientific proof of this, just something I know when I see. and Yes, it can become quite irritating to play a game with one installed. It would bother me to have a pf protector on most dmd games. For the simple reason that laws of gravity appear to being mucked with, I won't be ordering a pf protector for TH either.

There was a previous thread entitled "Hobbit Playfield Protector" that didn't didn't exactly provide an endorsement for it based on the efficacy of the Woz playfield protector.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-playfield-protector#post-1981993

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe instead of a single start button, they should start using player buttons like are found on arcade games.

Something as long as it's very obvious, like a Raw Thrills game. When you coin up a Raw Thrills game the whole thing lights up, and basically any button you press will start a game.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Looked the phone number up, was Automated's. That all.

In thier defence when did they put that on the website and where did they get that info from? I doubt they posted anything to deliberately deceive.

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You are most definitely a "cunning-linguist" Flanker!

#300 3 years ago

It's probably "Guaranteed" March delivery or your money back so you really don't gain anything. JJP will give you your money back anytime. Without details a guarantee is pretty useless. Maybe someone can find the details of the guarantee?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 59.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside