By labnip

1 year ago

Stats

• 1,505 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1517 posts in topic. You are on page 27 of 31.
#1301 1 year ago

Neo, you can play 1 or 1000 games of 0.8 software but I am pretty sure you are not going to hear what isn't programmed in.

We get it. The software on pin in its current state isn't the best. Let us get excited about what is around the corner without spewing your pessimistic views on the JJP sub forum.

#1302 1 year ago

Anyone know about "thicker/glossier decals on the SE? Heard it was a $400 up charge. Is it worth it?
Thanks,
Bob

#1303 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

except those of us that played it many many times actually know already.

You think you know. It's way to early to judge.

#1304 1 year ago
Quoted from Bobby:

Anyone know about "thicker/glossier decals on the SE? Heard it was a $400 up charge. Is it worth it?
Thanks,
Bob

The decals are called Rad-Cal and indeed are a $400 upcharge. They are thicker and glossier and can be added at the time you order the game. I have LE allocations available if you are interested. Only you can decide if they are worth it. They are pretty impressive to see if person.

Larry
Flip N Out Pinball

#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from Bobby:

Thanks,
Bob

Quoted from flipnout1:

The decals are called Rad-Cal and indeed are a $400 upcharge. They are thicker and glossier and can be added at the time you order the game. I have LE allocations available if you are interested. Only you can decide if they are worth it. They are pretty impressive to see if person.
Larry
Flip N Out Pinball

Search the forum and you can find many pictures of these. I've seen them and I'm somewhere between "don't like them" and "not worth it" ESPECIALLY at $400. To me, even if you like them better, they're way too damn glossy. And given the game will be in a row of games for most people, I don't know why many people would get these.

#1306 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it doesn't.

Do not underestimate the power of the Keefer

#1307 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

except those of us that played it many many times actually know already.

I hate feeding trolls, but yea - I've played it and the call outs in its current state are exceptionally great!

#1308 1 year ago
Quoted from Bobby:

Thanks,
Bob

#1309 1 year ago

I have a screen printed WOZ ECLE which is shiny but not as shiny as the RADs, which are maybe too shiny for my tastes, or rather they would make my other machines look more beat up than they already are

I also asked my distributor in the UK if he thought they were worth the extra loot, as we get stung again with both a poor exchange rate and then 20% tax. He said the stock decals look great, that is enough for me

#1310 1 year ago

Nice to see Hobbits landing at homes and new code to boot? It is Christmas morning, folks.

Has anyone else swimming in the "Distributor, Day One Orders" pool gotten any recent shipping estimates / updates on their orders? All these tasty-looking unboxing photos have my flipper fingers tingling and I'm sure Jen and my dist, are tired of me asking.

Also more out of sheer curiosity, has anyone gotten a read on what the production expectation will end up being (5 / 10 / 20 per week)?

#1311 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

I also asked my distributor in the UK if he thought they were worth the extra loot, as we get stung again with both a poor exchange rate and then 20% tax. He said the stock decals look great, that is enough for me

Exactly what ours said as well.

Im sure the rad-cals look great, but the originals look so good that anyone who has seen the originals haven't bothered with the rad-cals.

#1312 1 year ago

I really enjoy playing the Hobbit at our Houston weekly pinball tournaments. Sure would like a verbal shot callout when the shot is displayed on the LCD screen. I think this would be very helpful to players.

#1313 1 year ago

Thanks for the thoughts on the rad-cals.

#1314 1 year ago

I played the game this past weekend in Ohio, definitely enjoyable. While I was there, they updated the code on 2 of the 3 and were working on the 3rd one when I left. I did not get a chance to play after code update to relay any impressions.

#1315 1 year ago

I can't wait to read the patch notes for the new code. Hoping a lot of my concerns are addressed which I imagine they will.

#1316 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Search the forum and you can find many pictures of these. I've seen them and I'm somewhere between "don't like them" and "not worth it" ESPECIALLY at $400. To me, even if you like them better, they're way too damn glossy. And given the game will be in a row of games for most people, I don't know why many people would get these.

They're probably not worth it if you're going to slot it in a lineup but if you only had one or two machines OR if you were going to put the machine out on location without risking the cabinet graphics, I could see it making sense. I'd love to know what they're made out of but my best bet would be the same stuff we use for motocross decals on our dirt bikes. Those things are unbelievably tough and look great even after you slide them through the mud all day and then hose them off.

#1317 1 year ago

Played more today, every time I go back the game is a bit more dialed in. This game is subtle, turning everything up as high as it would go might make it play like a Stern but defeat the design entirely. The more I play, the more this machine feels like something genuinely special and the more I admire how truly great an achievement it is. I know 'luxurious' isn't usually used to describe a pinball machine but...

#1318 1 year ago

We have had ours for a week I can see where it could be a little bit of a sensory overload when you first step up to it but the more you play the more it makes sense. As the code matures just like WOZ did it will be awesome. I understand some people don't enjoy games with deep rules but it is great for us that like a variety of different types of gameplay to have choices. This is definitely a great time to be in the pinball hobby

#1319 1 year ago

I have the RAD-cals on my Smaug and I think they look great. If you're placing the machine on the end of a row or if it is a stand alone, then I say go for it!

#1320 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I hate feeding trolls, but yea - I've played it and the call outs in its current state are exceptionally great!

they are ok, but not as great as the call outs on LOTR. They don't give you that rush, like when you get the "you shall not pass" quote after completing fellowship multiball, or the intense volume increase for two towers start. I'm not saying hobbits sound bits are awful. just saying compared to LOTR, they are not as good.

#1321 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they are ok, but not as great as the call outs on LOTR. They don't give you that rush, like when you get the "you shall not pass" quote after completing fellowship multiball, or the intense volume increase for two towers start. I'm not saying hobbits sound bits are awful. just saying compared to LOTR, they are not as good.

So far...there's like 75% of the audio not in Hobbit yet. Give it time to complete. LOTR will be tough to beat, but sound quality on Hobbit absolutely destroys LOTR and its crappy whitestar sound.

#1322 1 year ago

yea, but will they have as good of material to work off of from hobbit as they did for LOTR? I think LOTR has better material from the movies to work with than Hobbit does. If the callouts just are not there, you can't create them out of thin air. Well you can, if you have actors do voice overs.

#1323 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you can't create them out of thin air.

I'm pretty sure John Rhys-Davies didn't say "Super Jackpot" in LOTR films.

As the Joker says - Why.. so... negative?

But if the dwarves meet Glinda in Mirkwood and she says "the journey is the reward", then we can bitch.

#1324 1 year ago

that is true. were those actual actors or sound alikes?

#1325 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that is true. were those actual actors or sound alikes?

In LOTR it was actually Elijah Wood and JRD doing the callouts. They're awesome. Hobbit has sound-alike actors.

#1326 1 year ago

never really thought about it, most of the powerful call outs are actual movie quotes.

but super jackpots are very entertaining.

#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

So far...there's like 75% of the audio not in Hobbit yet. Give it time to complete. LOTR will be tough to beat, but sound quality on Hobbit absolutely destroys LOTR and its crappy whitestar sound.

Imagine if they upgraded to the cabinet speaker I tested!

#1328 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

I haven't heard anyone imply it wasn't by design

If you are plunging full strength, you are missing 90% of the possible skill shots.
A full plunge may consistently get W or A if your timing is good.

Its possible to hit D-W-A-R, any of the 3 elf targets, hit one or sweep all 4 lock rollovers or the 4 inlanes.

That's 15 skill shots. Why pick just 1?

#1329 1 year ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Also more out of sheer curiosity, has anyone gotten a read on what the production expectation will end up being (5 / 10 / 20 per week)?

Currently 50 a week and not at full production speed yet

Quoted from Bobby:

I played the game this past weekend in Ohio, definitely enjoyable. While I was there, they updated the code on 2 of the 3 and were working on the 3rd one when I left. I did not get a chance to play after code update to relay any impressions.

Wonder what size it will be? 8gb?

#1331 1 year ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

If you are plunging full strength, you are missing 90% of the possible skill shots.

No that was fairly obvious to me, my point was that some pinball players expect a full plunge to go rocketing to the top of the playfield and this one does anything but. It threw me off at first for sure, but once I realized why it was set up that way... Today I spent a lot of time practicing those shots. Gonna need more practice.

#1332 1 year ago

I am sure most of you already noticed, but code update 1.01 has dropped...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-version-101-now-available

#1333 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

As of right now I have 5 interested parties. I am waiting to hear back from Jen to ensure that this will work on their end and will get back with everyone as soon as I have her response. Assuming that it is agreeable for JJP, I will offer first right of refusal in the order that I was contacted.
Thanks to everyone for the expressed interest.
Jesse

Hey Guys, last chance to assume my order before I cancel on Monday. Details are the following:

Ordered directly through JJP with an estimated shipping time frame of June. Already cleared the swap through Jen, we just need to send her your info after the payment is made. Due now is what I have paid which is $6500. Total price is $8000 plus applicable shipping with the balance due right before it's ready to ship. It's for the Smaug version but I'm sure you could probably change to the LE if you really wanted to.

Let me know if you are interested and ready to move forward via PM and we can work out the details. If nothing gets finalized by Monday then I'm just going to ask Jen to cancel the order and send me over the refund but I thought this might help someone who may be interested in a Hobbit save a few bucks.

Jesse

#1334 1 year ago

Finally saw a machine in person and got to play it. I think I'm in love! Playfield is gorgeous and I my head was reeling from the many shots and modes. The sound is amazing. So much better than any pin I've played before. And finally the screen and the animation on it is freaking awesome! I can't wait to get my machine this summer.

Now, the one thing I did notice was what others also reported: the translite above the screen really seems washed out. Either the light source behind it is too strong or not enough color was applied. Either way, this is something that hopefully JJP or the community will come up with a fix for.

#1335 1 year ago

Played the Hobbit at Marvin's in Farmington, MI, yesterday. Had a few balls get stuck, one of which could not be bumped loose. Pics below. Need to play more to decide what I think about (what now seems like) the overuse of magnets. Seemed like magnets were constantly grabbing my balls in the upper playfield and sometimes dropping them SDTM. Getting an SDT from having your balls get grabbed is not as fun as it sounds.

IMG_20160407_125611_503_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160407_130213_487_(resized).jpg

#1336 1 year ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Played the Hobbit at Marvin's in Farmington, MI, yesterday. Had a few balls get stuck, one of which could not be bumped loose

That's fumy(or maybe not), first day I had my game, no more than 10 games total I had both those exact same balls get stuck in exact same places. Hopefully doesn't happen too much and seems some fixes are going to need to be done to prevent them. I would consider that is not just coincidence.

#1337 1 year ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Played the Hobbit at Marvin's in Farmington, MI, yesterday. Had a few balls get stuck, one of which could not be bumped loose. Pics below. Need to play more to decide what I think about (what now seems like) the overuse of magnets. Seemed like magnets were constantly grabbing my balls in the upper playfield and sometimes dropping them SDTM. Getting an SDT from having your balls get grabbed is not as fun as it sounds.

IMG_20160407_125611_503_(resized).jpgIMG_20160407_130213_487_(resized).jpg

There are magnets behind the ramps that drop the balls into the subways but I don't know of any others that would drop them SDTM...

#1338 1 year ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

There are magnets behind the ramps that drop the balls into the subways but I don't know of any others that would drop them SDTM...

Ya I don't think so either, the effect of the lock rollovers sometimes and one of the side upper left slings kind of makes it seem like there is magnets but there isn't that I know of.

#1339 1 year ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I'm guessing it's the rollovers and troll flaps deflecting the ball that causes the weird ball movement he's referring to. They do tend to interfere heavily with balls traveling slowly.

#1340 1 year ago
Quoted from sulakd:

IMG_20160407_125611_503_(resized).jpgIMG_20160407_130213_487_(resized).jpg

In regards to the left ramp ball stuck, i thought i read somewhere that JJP was working on a fix for it. Can anyone confirm?

#1341 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

In regards to the left ramp ball stuck, i thought i read somewhere that JJP was working on a fix for it. Can anyone confirm?

I heard the same thing.

#1342 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Someone said they called JJP and they confirmed it's a known issue and they are working on a fix - it was somewhere in a thread. I have the same issue, but was able to resolve it by slightly pushing the ramp down a bit. Now when the ball gets stuck there, I can "slap" the cabinet and it will launch the ball to the right. It's kind of strange because I can't tilt or shake the ball loose at all - it just had to be a hard slap on the machine where the ball is.

#1343 1 year ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I'm guessing it's the rollovers and troll flaps deflecting the ball that causes the weird ball movement he's referring to. They do tend to interfere heavily with balls traveling slowly.

Yes, I was assuming the same.

I wonder if any of the folks that have the game setup at a steeper angle are experiencing as many hang-ups?

#1344 1 year ago

If I set it up to steep it jumps off the wireform about 25% of the time. For the time being I have found a compromise position that works well that is not floaty, with only an occasional ball hang up which is easily put back in play with a slap of the cabinet. I have never had one stuck that I had to remove the glass.

#1345 1 year ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

It feels like the magnets in TAF or gnr. Very annoying.
Is it like that on every game or just the ones I've played?

#1346 1 year ago
Quoted from klinde1:

If I set it up to steep it jumps off the wireform about 25% of the time. For the time being I have found a compromise position that works well that is not floaty, with only an occasional ball hang up which is easily put back in play with a slap of the cabinet. I have never had one stuck that I had to remove the glass.

I bent the end loop of the outermost left wire form up maybe a 1/16". Way less bounce outs as the ball is directed downwards when it hits the end on all but the fastest shots..

#1347 1 year ago

These stuck ball issues seem like they should have been known about and fixed several years ago. Especially, since they seem to be so common.

#1348 1 year ago

Maybe thats why JJP set them up low and slow for all the public appearances.

#1349 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Especially, since they seem to be so common.

The show reports where Hobbits were are posted in various places and the problems didn't show up. These issues came up recently when the test games went out. And are being fixed.

Quoted from vicjw66:

Maybe thats why JJP set them up low and slow for all the public appearances.

Wrong.

LTG : )

#1350 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

The show reports where Hobbits were are posted in various places and the problems didn't show up. These issues came up recently when the test games went out. And are being fixed.

Wrong.
LTG : )

The polite response would be "that is incorrect" followed by the actual reason games have been set up low and slow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.99
$ 9.95
There are 1517 posts in topic. You are on page 27 of 31.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 467 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside