image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg
There are 1,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 31.
#1201 8 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

From what I understand, the left wireform is being modified to prevent a ball from being trapped near the exit.

Indeed its an issue. I had it happen about 10% of the time. The loading of the windlance is a rare, shot, so it didn't interrupt too many games - but its an obvious trouble spot. (I didn't have any other ball traps, except for a temporary one under a beast trap door).

#1202 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It was a big ruckus when it changed. But we've all known that change for what, a year now? Things always change along the way when designing and building pinball machines. Ideas that sound good may not work right when the whitewood is built. License holders may not approve of some interactions. We only even know it existed in the first place because JJP tells us things about games years in advance. Don't worry, plenty of people have smashed on JJP because Smaug doesn't eat pinballs.

Thanks for the update!

Didn't really follow up on TH for a while, last thing i briefly saw was the changed pf-artwork which was a huge improvement.

Since i got to play one a few days ago i was just a bit surprised about how TH has developed. It is a stunningly beautiful machine, though.

#1203 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Extra balls are turned off by default........a few point levels that award EB help in exploring.

No extra balls?!?!? That's unusual. I really hope there is a specific eb shot - I'm really not a fan of points based eb's. Is there no eb insert anywhere on the pf?

Thanks for the detailed review dgarrett.

#1204 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

A few tech notes:
First - know that pinball is mostly solid state, low failure LED bulbs. Not much is likely to go wrong out of the box. If something doesn't work, its usually a connector or a wire came off.
Connectors:
Without the diagrams of wiring for the cabinet or backbox, which will be coming to the manual after pages D - 80, I had to call support for a bit of help with connectors. These may be helpful notes.
From talking with LTG and Frank:
I opened the metal box and made sure connectors were tight, from both outside and inside the back of the box.
Make sure the miniUSB connector at the B.A.G. board is tight - it controls all the GI and LED lights, and was the last place I looked to get my GI and RGB lighting to work.
If you take out the PF, the reconnections are easy if you take a lot of pics as you disconnect. Note there are two black/red power combos, and plugs don't matter which goes into which - as long as colors match. THere are 3 yellow/black power connectors, and those 3 are interchangable also.
The connector with 2 solid purple wires coming from the transformer isn't used. The light blue 2 wire connector the runs along the left cabinet and terminates near the left back corner of the metal box isn't used. A connector near the coin door isn't used.
Wires:
After removing and putting the PF back in the cabinet to move things - I also had a few loose wires I had to resolder. Those were easily found and reachable. If something doesn't work, its usually a connector or a wire came off
Everything from the factory seemed pretty well done.
One issue was the ring button didn't work - its was not set into the lockdown bar, so the post under the ring didn't reach the switch when pressed. I loosed the hex nut, turned the button which has a little nub that fits into a small notch in the cutout in the lockdown bar, and replaced the hex nut. Then re-seated the button, the post then reached the switch - fixed.
My other issue was the spider pop wouldn't stay up. Part of it was the routing of the wires that go up to the spider point switch were threaded through a bundle which may its travel with the mech too tight. I re-routed the wire (thankfully it has a connector) being sure it didn't get near the pop mech, to get some slack so it travels freely.

Thanks for the rules. This games sounds fantastic so far. Damn, if JJP had released the rules you just provided, say 9 months ago, people might not have gone off the rails with the delays. Hobbit owners are in for a superb time.

#1205 8 years ago

Thanks for the overview dgarret. I finally got the cabinet up the stairs tonight and am getting closer to getting the playfield back in!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1206 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No extra balls?!?!? That's unusual. I really hope there is a specific eb shot - I'm really not a fan of points based eb's. Is there no eb insert anywhere on the pf?

There are two inserts to collect "extra ball". "Extra" is on the left VUK and "Ball" is on the right VUK. I presume you will need get both to earn the extra ball and I think it's related to the kicking barrels rules? We'll see!

#1207 8 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Thanks for the overview dgarret. I finally got the cabinet up the stairs tonight and am getting closer to getting the playfield back in!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

I feel for you guys with upstair bonus room game rooms. I always had my cave in a walk out basement.

#1208 8 years ago

So is this officially the longest unboxing ever?

#1209 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

There are two inserts to collect "extra ball". "Extra" is on the left VUK and "Ball" is on the right VUK. I presume you will need get both to earn the extra ball and I think it's related to the kicking barrels rules? We'll see!

Maybe hasn't been coded in yet?

#1210 8 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

So is this officially the longest unboxing ever?

Well, unfortunately it will have to last a little longer. I finally got it upstairs and reinstalled the playfield but when I powered it up, I have a Coin Door Open message on the screen even though the coin door is closed and I can't start a game. I assume it is something simple and will poke around now, but if anyone has any pointers on a simple fix it would be much appreciated! The game is absolutely stunning when powered on though!

IMG_1782_(resized).JPGIMG_1782_(resized).JPG

#1211 8 years ago

I finally got it upstairs and reinstalled the playfield but when I powered it up, I have a Coin Door Open message on the screen even though the coin door is closed and I can't start a game. I assume it is something simple and will poke around now,

Well, a little poking around was all I needed to figure it out--I must not have seated one of the connectors fully when I reinstalled the playfield. I reseated it and now it boots up perfectly.

Played my first game--what a rush to finally play it! Multi-ball with all the pop-up figures is quite intense! The sound of the drop targets zipping up and down startled me at first but it is normal as they move up and down in unison very fast. With only one game under my belt, I know nothing of the rules, but it is definitely a shooter's game with the pop-ups and the drop targets. The gameplay was plenty fast too. The graphics are amazing and the sound quality was fantastic as well.

Hopefully those still waiting for their game won't have to wait much longer--I think you will be happy you stuck it out. Gotta go play it some more...!

#1212 8 years ago

Congrats! Happy for ya & glad ya didn't have to fight with it all night to get it up and running! Be sure and play a few games for me!!

#1213 8 years ago

do you have RA-DECALS or the standard ones ?

#1214 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

do you have RA-DECALS or the standard ones ?

I have the Rad-Cals. I haven't seen the standard ones, but these are extremely nice--very glossy.

#1215 8 years ago

could you post some pics?

i will get the ra-decals, too

#1216 8 years ago

Unboxed my SE tonight with a few friends, I was blown away with the fit and finish, especially the legs and armor, just stunning!! Game played perfect right out of the box, much more of a fast and furious game than I remember from the last time I played one of the prototypes. Great sound as was expected, and the lighting was perfect, more than bright enough, but not so bright as to be distracting or cause seizures!!

For those still waiting, you will not regret it, it is a mechanical and technological work of art that you will be proud to own!!

20160402_175505_(resized).jpg20160402_175505_(resized).jpg

#1217 8 years ago

Nice!

Anyone know how many they are pumping out a week atm?

#1218 8 years ago

Well, unfortunately it will have to last a little longer. I finally got it upstairs and reinstalled the playfield but when I powered it up, I have a Coin Door Open message on the screen even though the coin door is closed and I can't start a game. I assume it is something simple and will poke around now, but if anyone has any pointers on a simple fix it would be much appreciated! The
game is absolutely stunning when powered on though!

IMG_1782_(resized).JPG

I had this same problem with my WOZ out of the box. I found a loose connector for the coin door. It was a real easy fix. JJP uses connectors that are easy to replace parts.

#1219 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Nice Lineup!

#1220 8 years ago

Good to hear all the great news about the Hobbit. I got an email from Jen last week saying i will be getting mine the week of April 18th. I told Jen if she calls me Monday and says its shipping, I will let R & L do so. But, if she calls me on Wednesday or Thursday and tells me its shipping, i told her to hold it. I will take off Friday and drive up to get it. NJ is a 5 hour drive but i could have it Friday in lieu of waiting all weekend into the following week.

#1221 8 years ago

What's the verdict on the rad-calls for those that have them vs those that don't? They're a pricey upgrade in Australia (+$500).

#1222 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Good to hear all the great news about the Hobbit. I got an email from Jen last week saying i will be getting mine the week of April 18th. I told Jen if she calls me Monday and says its shipping, I will let R & L do so. But, if she calls me on Wednesday or Thursday and tells me its shipping, i told her to hold it. I will take off Friday and drive up to get it. NJ is a 5 hour drive but i could have it Friday in lieu of waiting all weekend into the following week.

I did that roadtrip to pick up my WOZ at the factory. It was an absolute adventure! I was lucky as heck that Jack was in the office that day, and he gave me a tour of the factory and signed the box for me. If you can swing it that way, I highly recommend doing it.

#1223 8 years ago

In regards to extra ball, not sure how you light it, but I saw someone get one this weekend. I think you have to hit both extra and ball, when they are lit. The animation for the extra ball was stellar. We just got our game too, amazing so far and will only get better.

#1224 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Find out when it's going to arrive. Jen called me one day and my WOZ arrived the next. (Courtland, VA). Your machine might ship Thursday and you get it Friday morning.
Hobbit is an awesome looking machine and I know any really serious player will love it.

#1225 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I feel for you guys with upstair bonus room game rooms. I always had my cave in a walk out basement.

No kidding. I've got the media room upstairs but after getting the first 4 pins up there I decided F this.

Turned garage into man cave.

So easy just rolling those babies right in there

Congrats on that TH

#1226 8 years ago

Just played one on location @mbrew. Several issues.
When you hit the start mode ramp, the ball flys off the wire form and bounces off the plastics into the drain or back in front of the flippers.
The shooter rod is too weak to hit the drop targets.
The ball got stuck under one of the pop up guys.
At that point the machine was shut off.

#1227 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Just played one on location @mbrew. Several issues.
When you hit the start mode ramp, the ball flys off the wire form and bounces off the plastics into the drain or back in front of the flippers.
The shooter rod is too weak to hit the drop targets.
The ball got stuck under one of the pop up guys.
At that point the machine was shut off.

All of these issues are being addressed.

#1228 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I did that roadtrip to pick up my WOZ at the factory. It was an absolute adventure! I was lucky as heck that Jack was in the office that day, and he gave me a tour of the factory and signed the box for me. If you can swing it that way, I highly recommend doing it.

Quoted from wtatumjr:

Find out when it's going to arrive. Jen called me one day and my WOZ arrived the next. (Courtland, VA). Your machine might ship Thursday and you get it Friday morning.
Hobbit is an awesome looking machine and I know any really serious player will love it.

I just don't want to risk Jen saying Thursday and i wait for it and its the following Wednesday. NO WAY!!! I will just take off that Friday and guarantee its in my hands for game play Friday night. If the call is on a Monday sure, im pretty sure i will have it by Friday. I hope Jack is there but if he is not, Jen said she would show me around..

#1229 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

All of these issues are being addressed.

Not to pile on, but should not have someone hit the right ramp to start a mode before the pin left the factory? Maybe plunged a ball?

#1230 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

could you post some pics?

Quoted from cooked71:

What's the verdict on the rad-calls for those that have them vs those that don't? They're a pricey upgrade in Australia (+$500).

Yes, the Rad-cals are quite pricey, but I like them. Very thick and glossy and high quality. Not sure if it shows up well in the pic, but they are so shiny you can see the reflection of my stools in the decals.

IMG_1789_(resized).jpgIMG_1789_(resized).jpg

#1231 8 years ago

Well this is probably as far as I will get today. But it does look pretty nice even with the protective film on the cabinet. I will wait to pull the protective film off the Rad-Cals until after I get it upstairs.

image_(resized).jpeg

isn't the legs going on the first thing you do? easier to do all this when it's up on it's legs anyway, and you don't have to fold it all back up to get them on.

#1232 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

isn't the legs going on the first thing you do? easier to do all this when it's up on it's legs anyway, and you don't have to fold it all back up to get them on.

Not sure what you mean--I pulled the playfield downstairs to reduce the weight before hauling it upstairs. Bought some cargo straps the next day and then brought it up the stairs with the legs off and protective film on the cab to prevent any damage from dings. Could never have gotten it upstairs with the legs on. Anyway, got it upstairs, put the legs on, and am now enjoying my Hobbit!

#1233 8 years ago

i ment before putting the backbox up, and taking the glass off, and before the playfield comes out.

#1234 8 years ago

Nah, it was just as easy removing the playfield without the legs on, plus then I didn't have to remove the legs again to get it upstairs. Either way the hard part is over and I can now play my Hobbit! Just playing with a somewhat sore back after the whole ordeal...but worth it!

#1235 8 years ago

Yes, the Rad-cals are quite pricey, but I like them. Very thick and glossy and high quality. Not sure if it shows up well in the pic, but they are so shiny you can see the reflection of my stools in the decals.

IMG_1789_(resized).jpg

Post a few more picture if you can.

#1236 8 years ago

IMG_1787_(resized).jpgIMG_1787_(resized).jpg

IMG_1788_(resized).jpgIMG_1788_(resized).jpg

#1237 8 years ago

IMG_1787_(resized).jpgIMG_1788_(resized).jpg

Wow, shiny!

#1238 8 years ago

It's a gorgeous pin no doubt!

RAD cals are very cool.

#1239 8 years ago

That rug really ties the room together

#1240 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Not to pile on, but should not have someone hit the right ramp to start a mode before the pin left the factory? Maybe plunged a ball?

Stop. Does not Compute.

Only Stern ships machine without perfect QC or incomplete code.

#1241 8 years ago

Dang those rad-cals look nice, I love that high gloss look.

#1242 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Stop. Does not Compute.
Only Stern ships machine without perfect QC or incomplete code.

You are exactly right.

#1243 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Dang those rad-cals look nice, I love that high gloss look.

A tad too glossy for my tastes! But the protection is probably better, and if you like the reflective look then you are set. Nice JJP has the option!

So glad to see these being played by preorder customers in their homes! Have fun bitches!

(I know I will)

#1244 8 years ago

So I noticed that someone in Canada has a game now-direct order, or was that via Starburst? No idea when we'll see our games, but I'm assuming that there'll be a bunch coming up to Toronto at once. I know of at least half a dozen of us in the area getting a hobbit, and there are probably more I'm forgetting.

#1245 8 years ago

I'm with ya brother. Hopefully we will get them soon.

#1246 8 years ago

Cmon guys, you spend $1000's on pinball machines and have Gamerooms in basements or upstairs and you own a cheap POS cart !?!? Get an escalera or a decent cart to do the job. Taking pf's out is just nuts.

#1247 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No, I meant the menu setting default is "no extra balls".
There is an extra ball to be earned - its on the one-pager with all the rules.

#1248 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Cmon guys, you spend $1000's on pinball machines and have Gamerooms in basements or upstairs and you own a cheap POS cart !?!? Get an escalera or a decent cart to do the job. Taking pf's out is just nuts.

An escalara won't work with the stair configuration in my house so having one really wouldn't serve any purpose except to waste a lot of money.

#1249 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I have a escalara - still needed to take the PF out. Having 25 pins in the basement without an Escalara? Now that would be nuts. (And I've owned a total of 90 that have gone in or out of that 90 degree turn - included IJ and Woz widebodies there were really really tough to make the turn).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 1,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.