image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 31.
#1051 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Sorry for the cross-post, but here you go. My Smaug with RAD-cals arrived today.

IMG_0393_(resized).JPGIMG_0394_(resized).JPGIMG_0395_(resized).JPGIMG_0396_(resized).JPGIMG_0397_(resized).JPG

You are so darned lucky !!!!
Such a sweet pin

#1052 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Just set GOT up tonight
image_(resized).jpg

Thanks for all those TPF pics.

#1053 8 years ago

Ditto that, thanks for the TPF pics Lab, i hope to make it next year.

#1054 8 years ago

Sorry for the cross-post, but here you go. My Smaug with RAD-cals arrived today.

That's what I have on order! Please share more pics! Many, many more!

#1055 8 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

30 X 31 inches. I measured it for my stairs.

this is unboxed dimensions yes?

Could one of the lucky people who is unboxing this week, please supply dimensions of the box? I have some tricky stairs to negotiate to place this machine next to the rest of the pinball family. Cheers.

#1056 8 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

this is unboxed dimensions yes?
Could one of the lucky people who is unboxing this week, please supply dimensions of the box? I have some tricky stairs to negotiate to place this machine next to the rest of the pinball family. Cheers.

60 x 31x 31 on pallet in box

#1057 8 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Excellent, thanks very much. Looks like it will fit!!

#1058 8 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks, nice to know. . Mine is showing up today.

#1059 8 years ago

Seems like JJP is shipping TH in quantity; much quicker than WOZ at release. The Smaug RAD-cals are beautiful!

#1060 8 years ago

Lyons Classic Pinball's Hobbit SE is shipping out of NJ today. Hope to be playing it before we open on Thursday!

#1062 8 years ago

1. Where is the ball getting stuck?
2. Yes. this annoyed me too, but after about 5 games I didn't seem to care as much. Note sure if this can be improved? The TH troll mech is better than the MM one i think, so maybe the size is needed? even if they make it flush you still have the roll overs there too.
3. Personally I didn't notice this. If you compare to LOTR.... lotr has Balrog as a bash toy. A flying ring shot, a tower that moves a little when hit...thats about it isnt it? LOTR is great because of the software. Hobbit has that potential.
4. I don't think any of Keiths pins are ultimately for casual gamers. I think Smaug is easy enough to start for them, but there is so much going on so im not sure if that makes casual players feel stupid or not.
5. The one i played today was fine.
6. code is pretty much BETA.
7.The machine gun sound is awesome, its 5+ Coils going off 1 millisecond apart. If you trap the ball and read the small LCD it will tell you what to do. I am pretty sure you are talking about 'THE CONTRACT'. If so, hit the targets behind the drops.
8. personally i find it easier to hit the LOCK from the right flipper. So to be its feeding the other flipper always.
9. didnt notice
10. Code will add something, it is easy to hit those drops with it. But yes code cannot add a ramp!

Chin up, 7~8 outta 10 can be fixed with software and perception!

#1063 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

1. Where is the ball getting stuck?
2. Yes. this annoyed me too, but after about 5 games I didn't seem to care as much. Note sure if this can be improved? The TH troll mech is better than the MM one i think, so maybe the size is needed? even if they make it flush you still have the roll overs there too.
3. Personally I didn't notice this. If you compare to LOTR.... lotr has Balrog as a bash toy. A flying ring shot, a tower that moves a little when hit...thats about it isnt it? LOTR is great because of the software. Hobbit has that potential.
4. I don't think any of Keiths pins are ultimately for casual gamers. I think Smaug is easy enough to start for them, but there is so much going on so im not sure if that makes casual players feel stupid or not.
5. The one i played today was fine.
6. code is pretty much BETA.
7.The machine gun sound is awesome, its 5+ Coils going off 1 millisecond apart. If you trap the ball and read the small LCD it will tell you what to do. I am pretty sure you are talking about 'THE CONTRACT'. If so, hit the targets behind the drops.
8. personally i find it easier to hit the LOCK from the right flipper. So to be its feeding the other flipper always.
9. didnt notice
10. Code will add something, it is easy to hit those drops with it. But yes code cannot add a ramp!
Chin up, 7~8 outta 10 can be fixed with software and perception!

Sorry I moved my post to the Owners thread - but thanks for the feedback. I'm not overly disappointed, and one of the reasons I bought the pin was because I knew there would be frequent and big code updates coming, hopefully greatly improving things each step of the way.

#1064 8 years ago

It's here!!!!!!!!!

Unboxing it Friday night @ 7. Keeping it small though...then hosting a venue in a week or two afterwards for the rest of the pinheads to come play it!

14587640245601047380612_(resized).jpg14587640245601047380612_(resized).jpg

#1065 8 years ago

Sweet dude!

#1066 8 years ago

TaTa please post tons of pics. Have fun tonight!!

#1067 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

It's here!!!!!!!!!

Unboxing it Friday night @ 7. Keeping it small though...then hosting a venue in a week or two afterwards for the rest of the pinheads to come play it!

14587640245601047380612_(resized).jpg

Congratulations on the hobbit! looking forward to the pics... It would be difficult for me to wait!! Enjoy...

#1068 8 years ago

2 more Hobbits on the way to locations in NYC. One replaces the test game at 5th Estate, the other goes to Creek and Cave on Wednesday.

IMG_9689_(resized).jpgIMG_9689_(resized).jpg

#1069 8 years ago

If anyone want's to assume my Smaug LE order placed through JJP in October of 2014 ($8K), let me know as I am cancelling it shortly.

#1070 8 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

If anyone want's to assume my Smaug LE order placed through JJP in October of 2014 ($8K), let me know as I am cancelling it shortly.

Great price!

#1071 8 years ago

As of right now I have 5 interested parties. I am waiting to hear back from Jen to ensure that this will work on their end and will get back with everyone as soon as I have her response. Assuming that it is agreeable for JJP, I will offer first right of refusal in the order that I was contacted.

Thanks to everyone for the expressed interest.

Jesse

#1072 8 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

As of right now I have 5 interested parties. I am waiting to hear back from Jen to ensure that this will work on their end and will get back with everyone as soon as I have her response. Assuming that it is agreeable for JJP, I will offer first right of refusal in the order that I was contacted.
Thanks to everyone for the expressed interest.
Jesse

Why are you selling...

#1073 8 years ago

HOBBIT LAUNCH PARTY - at Pinball Gallery, Malvern PA - FRI APRIL 1st - 5pm - 11pm

Pinball Gallery is run by Bill Disney and is located outside Philadelphia (very close to King of Prussia).
http://www.pinballgallery.net

Featuring :
-TWO Hobbits to play to your hearts content for 6 hours !
-The entire Pinball Gallery arcade to play - OVER 65 pinballs and arcade machines !
-Jersey Jack Guarnieri will be there !
-A Free Door Prize to every attendee - possible prizes are : Hobbit Translights, Hobbit Flyers, Limited Edition PinballSTAR Hobbit Posters, Hobbit Craft BEER (yes you head that right), Pinball Gallery and PinballSTAR Tshirts, and more - all signed by Jack !
-Pizza / Drinks for small fee (goes to charity)

Door fee for the night is $ 30 / adult and $ 20 / child under 18. ALL proceeds from the door fee and food sales will be split between two charities :

1. PinballSTAR's Children's Hospital Charity Fund where we donate Wizard of Oz Pinball Machines to children's hospitals (see below)

https://timesleader.com/archive/283425/news-local-news-1066736-therapy-in-play
http://www.pinballnews.com/

We have donated FOUR $ 8,500 NIB Wizard of Oz's to the children's hospitals below - events like this help fund the donations ! And we donate a portion of every game sale we make to the fund...

St Christopher's Children's Hospital in Philadelphia
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
UNC Children's Hospital in Chapel Hill on April 12, 2016 (machine we donated to Project Pinball)
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (May 2016)

2. Multiple Sclerosis

We will also be offering some discounts on games we sell for those in attendance and additionally we'll extend those offers to our Pinside and Facebook friends... We have WOZ in stock... We will have Hobbits in STOCK very soon and are selling both LE's and Smaug Golds ! We are still selling from our DAY 1 Hobbit allotment - you will get your game very soon !

PinballSTAR are distributors for :
Jersey Jack Pinball (Wizard of Oz / The Hobbit)
Planetary Pinball (Medieval Madness Remake)
Spooky Pinball (America's Most Haunted / Rob Zombie's Spookshow International)
Chicago Gaming (Arcade Legends (130 titles) and Ms Pac / Galaga video games)

PinballSTAR's Facebook page :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PinballSTAR-Amusements/281515171950637

Pinball Gallery
81 Lancaster Ave.
Great Valley Shopping Center, Store #20
Malvern, PA 19355
(484) 693-0693

Pinball Gallery Website - CHECK IT OUT ! Look at the VIDEO TOUR !!!

The admission rates are usually $ 8 / hour or $ 20 / day so for $ 30 you donating all of the fee to charity, you get to play in the entire arcade, you get door prizes and use of TWO Hobbits !

We hope to see everyone who can make it !!! Our parties are always at fun locations with tons of giveaways and great food !!!

TO ATTEND : We do need an RSVP sent to [email protected] - please put 'HOBBIT PARTY' in heading and give us names of each person who will be attending. We need this to plan food and prizes please...

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

#1074 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

HOBBIT LAUNCH PARTY - at Pinball Gallery, Malvern PA - FRI APRIL 1st - 5pm - 11pm
Pinball Gallery is run by Bill Disney and is located outside Philadelphia (very close to King of Prussia).
Featuring :
-TWO Hobbits to play to your hearts content for 6 hours !
-The entire Pinball Gallery arcade to play - OVER 65 pinballs and arcade machines !
-Jersey Jack Guarnieri will be there !
-A Free Door Prize to every attendee - possible prizes are : Hobbit Translights, Hobbit Flyers, Limited Edition PinballSTAR Hobbit Posters, Hobbit Craft BEER (yes you head that right), Pinball Gallery and PinballSTAR Tshirts, and more - all signed by Jack !
-Pizza / Drinks for small fee (goes to charity)
Door fee for the night is $ 30 / adult and $ 20 / child under 18. ALL proceeds from the door fee and food sales will be split between two charities :
1. PinballSTAR's Children's Hospital Charity Fund where we donate Wizard of Oz Pinball Machines to children's hospitals (see below)
https://timesleader.com/archive/283425/news-local-news-1066736-therapy-in-play
http://www.pinballnews.com/
We have donated FOUR $ 8,500 NIB Wizard of Oz's to the children's hospitals below - events like this help fund the donations ! And we donate a portion of every game sale we make to the fund...
St Christopher's Children's Hospital in Philadelphia
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
UNC Children's Hospital in Chapel Hill on April 12, 2016 (machine we donated to Project Pinball)
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (May 2016)
2. Multiple Sclerosis
We will also be offering some discounts on games we sell for those in attendance and additionally we'll extend those offers to our Pinside and Facebook friends... We have WOZ in stock... We will have Hobbits in STOCK very soon and are selling both LE's and Smaug Golds ! We are still selling from our DAY 1 Hobbit allotment - you will get your game very soon !
PinballSTAR are distributors for :
Jersey Jack Pinball (Wizard of Oz / The Hobbit)
Planetary Pinball (Medieval Madness Remake)
Spooky Pinball (America's Most Haunted / Rob Zombie's Spookshow International)
Chicago Gaming (Arcade Legends (130 titles) and Ms Pac / Galaga video games)
PinballSTAR's Facebook page :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PinballSTAR-Amusements/281515171950637
Pinball Gallery
81 Lancaster Ave.
Great Valley Shopping Center, Store #20
Malvern, PA 19355
(484) 693-0693
Pinball Gallery Website - CHECK IT OUT ! Look at the VIDEO TOUR !!!
The admission rates are usually $ 8 / hour or $ 20 / day so for $ 30 you donating all of the fee to charity, you get to play in the entire arcade, you get door prizes and use of TWO Hobbits !
We hope to see everyone who can make it !!! Our parties are always at fun locations with tons of giveaways and great food !!!
TO ATTEND : We do need an RSVP sent to [email protected] - please put 'HOBBIT PARTY' in heading and give us names of each person who will be attending. We need this to plan food and prizes please...
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

Any word if the code will be beyond beta for the launch party?

#1075 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Any word if the code will be beyond beta for the launch party?

1. If there is new code Jack surely will bring it. No idea on that.
2. You're in CA gonna fly in and join us ? Would love to have you ; )

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1076 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Why are you selling...

Unfortunately, it just isn't doing enough to inspire me to carry through with the purchase. Looks like a beautiful pin but it just feels as if I am forcing the purchase because of how much of a Tolkien/LOTR fan I am and not because I truly like the pin.

#1077 8 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Unfortunately, it just isn't doing enough to inspire me to carry through with the purchase. Looks like a beautiful pin but it just feels as if I am forcing the purchase because of how much of a Tolkien/LOTR fan I am and not because I truly like the pin.

Its nice to see some honesty as I feel many sticking with this pin are in that same boat, I wanted to like TH but was very unimpressed and as much as I dislike WOZ as a theme I actually prefer that pin, as long as everyone gets what they want then all good.

#1078 8 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Ever get a chance to play one?

#1079 8 years ago

I think many folks would agree that TH is indeed a beautiful pin. My Smaug with RAD-cals arrived this week and I'm having a great time discovering the shots and what the release code has to offer. Yes, it is fun.

Keith Johnson is a master of code and the initial release of this software is v00.80, obviously a mere taste of what is to come. We haven't even seen v1.0 yet! Remember when the early WOZ machines were called "little more than a box of lights"? JJP and Keith have proven that they can rock the software side of things and I am fully confident they will do it again. Don't give up.

#1080 8 years ago

I think many folks would agree that TH is indeed a beautiful pin. My Smaug with RAD-cals arrived this week and I'm having a great time discovering the shots and what the release code has to offer. Yes, it is fun.
Keith Johnson is a master of code and the initial release of this software is v00.80, obviously a mere taste of what is to come. We haven't even seen v1.0 yet! Remember when the early WOZ machines were called "little more than a box of lights"? JJP and Keith have proven that they can rock the software side of things and I am fully confident they will do it again. Don't give up.

Thank you for posting this. All of these negative comments were making me feel uncertain about my purchase. I appreciate it.

#1081 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

All of these negative comments were making me feel uncertain about my purchase.

Have you played the game ? Did you like it ? Then no worries. It is only going to get better. And it is great as it is now.

LTG : )

#1082 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It is only going to get better. And it is great as it is now.

Absolutely!

#1083 8 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Ever get a chance to play one?

Unfortunately no. I almost always have to make a decision based on videos of gameplay and other word of mouth. I think Spiderman was the last pin I was actually able to play before buying the pin and that was 5+ years ago. All other purchases from that point forward have all been based on photos/videos and the strength of the theme itself. Unfortunately for as much as I love the LOTR franchise, TH pin just doesn't really inspire me and nobody is more disappointed in that than me. Looking at what style of play I enjoy, I just don't think this pin and I are compatible no matter what the code turns out to be like. That being said, I am sure it will turn out to be a great pin for all who purchased it. Down the road some time, I may get a chance to play it somewhere and change my mind. Until then I am excited to JJP's next offering as I would really love to have one of their works of art in my house sitting proudly next to my family's first pin (EM Far Out), several B/W, a PPS, a few sterns, and (hopefully) soon to be Heighway. Here's to looking forward to JJP #3 blowing my socks off

#1084 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Why are you selling...

Kaneda

#1085 8 years ago

Exactly, TH is only going to get better from here, much better with each code update. Oh how I remember the early WOZ code days. Here's a trip down memory lane, WOZ version .56, the game has changed so much since then. The same will happen with TH.

#1086 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Have you played the game ? Did you like it ? Then no worries. It is only going to get better. And it is great as it is now.

I have but it's been about a year. People talking about the ball getting stuck in two areas, etc. I hope a new code is released by the time I get mine in late April.

#1087 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have but it's been about a year. People talking about the ball getting stuck in two areas, etc. I hope a new code is released by the time I get mine in late April.

I have not had a single ball hangup on mine after several days of play.

#1088 8 years ago

I have not had a single ball hangup on mine after several days of play.

That's great. Have you learned any rules yet?

#1089 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

That's great. Have you learned any rules yet?

I think it is fair to say that I have picked up a few basics and am developing suspicions on what a couple others might be.

#1090 8 years ago

I think it is fair to say that I have picked up a few basics and am developing suspicions on what a couple others might be.

Do share or PM me. I don't want guesses, i want truth...

#1091 8 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Wonder what the modding community will come up with for TH? Hope Mezel Mod, Modfather, etc have some cool things in mind.

Probably not, talked to Jack about doing some mods for him and he is not interested.

#1092 8 years ago

Keeping your pre-order or not is a personal decision and whatever anyone decides is the right choice for them! I must say, I'm incredibly excited about TH. I also have the SE with RAD-cals on order and hope to get it by this summer. This is only my third pin, so I'm still a noob by any measure. I love the LOTR theme even if it's modeled after the much weaker Hobbit trilogy. Part of my excitement is the hope that JJP will polish TH as much as they did WOZ, which may or may not be the case. The latter was their very first product and they had a lot on the line to establish their brand, as I understand it. Another thing I'm salivating over is the number of aftermarket mods! I can't wait all the goodies that the community will create to make this another showpiece pin!

#1093 8 years ago

Does the game even need mods? It's stunning in person, the lighting effects under the orcs are great. Maybe mirror blades or some protectors, but what else does it really need? Mustache on Smaug?

#1094 8 years ago

Someone who makes a mod that will reduce ball deviation will take all my money. That's the only mod TH needs

#1095 8 years ago

On one of the sample Hobbits I played it had a very weak plunger. You couldn't make all the skill shots. A few other people have experienced the same on different machines. For those who just got their games, how are the plungers?

#1096 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Mustache on Smaug?

I was going to put a tiny set of gold wire round spectacles on him because he speaks so affluently...
That, or possibly a monacle.
But then I'd have to have a top hat to go with that and possibly a long piano black cigarette holder (w/smoldering led'd cig) to complete the look- and of course THAT would lead into all kinds of clearance issues as he rotates. *Sigh*
Guess I'd better keep it simple/pinball related and stick with some mini bedazzled Elton John "champ" glasses instead.

#1097 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

On one of the sample Hobbits I played it had a very weak plunger. You couldn't make all the skill shots. A few other people have experienced the same on different machines. For those who just got their games, how are the plungers?

Mine works fine. Feels like any other pin.

EDIT: Now you have me conscious of it! If I had the option to put in a stronger spring, I would do it.

#1098 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

This was an issue on the one I played. I imagine replacing the plunger spring should be a simple enough fix. I do this time to time on some of my sterns that need a more powered plunge.

#1099 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its nice to see some honesty as I feel many sticking with this pin are in that same boat, I wanted to like TH but was very unimpressed and as much as I dislike WOZ as a theme I actually prefer that pin, as long as everyone gets what they want then all good.

I have been in since 2014 and have stood behind JJP during the process. However, I had to opt out last month. The honest answer is the wife has medical issues that forced some financial problems which caused me to sell my spot. I'm highly disappointed that I won't be getting TH as planned.

That being said, I very much plan on getting TH next year if I can afford it then.

#1100 8 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I have been in since 2014 and have stood behind JJP during the process. However, I had to opt out last month. The honest answer is the wife has medical issues that forced some financial problems which caused me to sell my spot. I'm highly disappointed that I won't be getting TH as planned.
That being said, I very much plan on getting TH next year if I can afford it then.

Sorry to hear that! I went thru something similar with my wife at the end of 2014, I ended up cancelling my Hobbit and selling most of my pins. My wife is healthy now and I am slowly rebuilding my collection. Hang in there, better days will come! you can buy a TH later when your wife is able to enjoy it with you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1/page/22?hl=swampy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.