image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 31.
#1001 8 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

It's here.
Can't open without friends tho.

image_(resized).jpeg

Let's see some pics of the finish... need to see how it looks compared to SE..still may flop back to LE.. need to decide soon!!

#1002 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What's the width of TH (or even WOZ). Curious if it would even fit through the front door.

30 X 31 inches. I measured it for my stairs.

#1003 8 years ago

Excellent news, DougP and TaTa - it's an exciting time to be a pinball aficionado...particularly ones with Hobbits en route. Enjoy, boys! (And be sure to pepper us with many photos of the unboxing(s)!!)

#1004 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Let's see some pics of the finish... need to see how it looks compared to SE..still may flop back to LE.. need to decide soon!!

Are they still allowing us to change to/from LE to SE and vice versa?

#1005 8 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Are they still allowing us to change to/from LE to SE and vice versa?

I'm sure it depends on the buyers distributor.

Congrats Doug P!
Now where are these slacker buddies of yours to help speed up the unboxing photos?
You may need to send a text telling them that you'll choggard their pinballs if they don't get their asses to Mars.

#1006 8 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I'm sure it depends on the buyers distributor.
Congrats Doug P!
Now where are these slacker buddies of yours to help speed up the unboxing photos?
You may need to send a text telling them that you'll choggard their pinballs if they don't get their asses to Mars.

Yes, depends on what your distributer has allocated.

#1007 8 years ago

I hope this thread is flooded with pics, videos and reviews by Friday.

#1008 8 years ago

Played a couple games on a Hobbit LE on location at Pinballz in Austin TX today. Great looking machine. Set up to play very slow. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be shooting for except when things popped up from the playfield. Locked a ball twice, no idea why the lock lit or how many I was supposed to put in there. Ramps are a long ways away but pretty wide and not very hard to make the shots.

This one will probably not get much play from me since it's five tokens (same as WoZ LE) compared to four for other newish games, two or three for older games. It's interesting but not 66% more interesting than the seventy or so pinballs that are only three tokens to play.

#1009 8 years ago

Played hobbit at TPF.

Wow I suck at it

It's a feaking work of art.
Out of this world cabinet & playfiled art.

For a while I sat about 5 feet away in a low chair & just watched the backbox display.
The display art, clips, animations, clip to art transitions, mapping/guides, yadda yadda were incredible. It really looks like teams of people were dedicated to the composition, design & art production of these.

This is by far one DEEP designed package.

I swear, if you're a fan & on the fence about this... You need to go for it. People are going to be collecting this pin for decades to come. It's just stunning. You walk into any room/place and this thing is sitting there... And you are just drawn to it.

And dang... Did I mention the playfield light show yet. Holy moly !!!!

Wish I was a better player

Hope this helps...

#1010 8 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

It's here.
Can't open without friends tho.

image_(resized).jpeg

Super jealous! Enjoy!

#1011 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

For a while I sat about 5 feet away in a low chair & just watched the backbox display.

Were you frying balls on acid or something

#1012 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Hope this helps...

Cheers, just ordered 5

#1013 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

It's a feaking work of art.
Out of this world cabinet & playfiled art.

That is what I thought when I finally saw it in person. Pictures and video don't do it justice. The only pin that is as beautiful to me is WOZ -and even it doesn't quite look as good due to the Hobbits HD monitor and video as well as a very vibrant PF. WOZ has it on ligthts, but the flashers on TH kind of balance it out.

#1014 8 years ago

Hobbit Lands in OZ
Come Play

#1015 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

That is what I thought when I finally saw it in person. Pictures and video don't do it justice. The only pin that is as beautiful to me is WOZ -and even it doesn't quite look as good due to the Hobbits HD monitor and video as well as a very vibrant PF. WOZ has it on ligthts, but the flashers on TH kind of balance it out.

Completely agree even nicer in person in final form and with more updated code.

Glad I changed my mind again and got back in... game just arrived here locally this AM... and will take delivery tomorrow..

#1016 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am sure the lighting will get even better over time as it did with WOZ. Hard to compare the two at this stage with one finished and the other just starting to come alive.

#1017 8 years ago

I have been waiting for a couple of days to post my impressions from TPF, wanted to read a bit what people are saying and catch up on some older posts since I haven't been around pinside for a while.

First off..I am a preorder customer I have an SE and ordered May 2013. That said I am blown away by this game. Everyone knows the history of the game being redesigned after expo, and wow did they hit it out of the park. Pictures online or video do not do this game justice, just like WoZ.

Code is early and you can tell, I would not be surprised to see another multiball mode added to the game. Even with the early code there is still a TON to do. The rules sheet just covers the basic overview but it does not cover going down into the rules. I attended the seminar and that helped, as well as talking with Butch Peel who was around really helped me to get a good handle on the basics by the end of the weekend. Just looking at the playfield and the rules sheets does NOTHING to explain the game and how it plays.

A couple of examples of the rules so far as I have figured them out, the pop ups that everyone has been complaining about? Well that starts beast multiball. You have to hit all 4 beasts then that starts multiball. The beasts pop up when you roll over the corresponding inlane. If you miss it you can hit the inlane again, or a specific ramp/orbit to light the inlane again to get another chance to hit the beast. The other multiball, you roll over the 4 lock targets then the right ramp lights up green with lock, hit that 3 times you start smaug multiball. Now the modes..You have to hit the drop targets to make the mode available for example dwarf, that qualifies dwarf modes which I think there are 4 of those. The one mode I played was the radagast mode. I'm not sure how I qualified it but I selected that mode by hitting the left ramp, then hit the right ramp to start the mode.(If lock is lit you can hit the ring button to bypass the lock and proceed to the mode start) Mode start the ball goes down to the windlance and you shoot the ball with the ring button to start the mode. Radagast mode then is multiple shots around the playfield, the shot will light up red, it will show on the book, and on the LCD screen what shot you have to hit. There were at least 3 shots that you had to hit then I drained. That is just 1 of 30+ modes.

This game is DEEP, and again you would not know of those rules just looking at the rules sheet, you have to really play it and spend some time with it to understand it. It is tough to get that when you have to stand in line for 20 min to play a game. This game will do very well in the home market where you have time, and free play, to get used to the rules.

The lights, I got what I was looking for with the light shows and I know its only going to get better. I love the sweeps of the lights in this game as well as WoZ. The light show in this game is a little more understated then the in your face bright light show of WoZ but it still is very good. I know there will be more added to it as time goes on.

The toys. Amazing quality toys. The big one Smaug. A lot of people compared it to the GoT dragon, well I played Hobbit, then the next game I played was GoT LE. the dragon in hobbit is so much better intergrated. The detail on the GoT dragon may be a little bit better, not much, but the gameplay integration is so much better in hobbit and that will only be improved. It is my understanding that currently smaug has about 20 lines, when all is said and done there will be about 120 lines for smaug.

The LCD. The LCD in my opinion is better than WoZ. The layout of the information is better, the artistic touches are much better, and the resolution seems better.

As you can tell I am very much impressed with the game and very glad to be getting one. If you have not played one, you can't honestly talk about this game. This is a game you have to play multiple times and see in person to be able to appreciate it.

#1018 8 years ago

I played TH a couple of times at TPF. I believe it was the 4th show over the last 18 months or so that I have got to play it. I was in on a preorder until yesterday. I have always thought and still do that TH is the best looking modern pinball machine. It's stunning to look at. I just realized that the game play is not going to be for me and that I was forcing a purchase based on how a game looks. I like the ramps but just found the game lacking in great shots, especially for a wide body. The pop ups are awesome looking but are the main part of the game. I just knew long term I would not keep this game so I called and had my preorder switched to something else. I think a lot of folks will love this game and that it will sell really well. For 8K I have to love it though and I just didn't

#1019 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I played TH a couple of times at TPF. I believe it was the 4th show over the last 18 months or show that I have got to play it. I was in on a preorder until yesterday. I have always thought and still do that TH is the best looking modern pinball machine. It's stunning to look at. I just realized that the game play is not going to be for me and that I was forcing a purchase based on how a game looks. I like the ramps but just found the game lacking in great shots, especially for a wide body. The pop ups are awesome looking but are the main part of the game. I just knew long term I would not keep this game so I called and had my preorder switched to something else. I think a lot of folks will love this game and that it will sell really well. For 8K I have to love it though and I just didn't

Certainly not the pin for everyone - thanks for your post.

#1020 8 years ago

So to sum things up. Beautiful looking game but so complicated nobody knows how to play it.

Remember when pinball was intuitive and you could just walk up and play a game?

not-sure-if-overly-complicated-or-if-i-am-stupid-thumb.jpg_(resized).pngnot-sure-if-overly-complicated-or-if-i-am-stupid-thumb.jpg_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_12.15.39_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-22_at_12.15.39_PM_(resized).png

#1021 8 years ago

With that comment I think you should stick with woodrails.

#1022 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

So to sum things up. Beautiful looking game but so complicated nobody knows how to play it.
Remember when pinball was intuitive and you could just walk up and play a game?
woman-doing-complicated-math_(resized).jpg

not-sure-if-overly-complicated-or-if-i-am-stupid-thumb.jpg_(resized).png

I would stick to PacMan PACMAN.

#1023 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

For real. I never know what I am doing on any modern game.

#1024 8 years ago

Maybe so.

You're telling me this paragraph didn't make you go cross-eyed?

A couple of examples of the rules so far as I have figured them out, the pop ups that everyone has been complaining about? Well that starts beast multiball. You have to hit all 4 beasts then that starts multiball. The beasts pop up when you roll over the corresponding inlane. If you miss it you can hit the inlane again, or a specific ramp/orbit to light the inlane again to get another chance to hit the beast. The other multiball, you roll over the 4 lock targets then the right ramp lights up green with lock, hit that 3 times you start smaug multiball. Now the modes..You have to hit the drop targets to make the mode available for example dwarf, that qualifies dwarf modes which I think there are 4 of those. The one mode I played was the radagast mode. I'm not sure how I qualified it but I selected that mode by hitting the left ramp, then hit the right ramp to start the mode.(If lock is lit you can hit the ring button to bypass the lock and proceed to the mode start) Mode start the ball goes down to the windlance and you shoot the ball with the ring button to start the mode. Radagast mode then is multiple shots around the playfield, the shot will light up red, it will show on the book, and on the LCD screen what shot you have to hit. There were at least 3 shots that you had to hit then I drained. That is just 1 of 30+ modes.

Quoted from fordtudoor:

#1025 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Maybe so.

To qualify a mode you can collect a character (lite character I believe ) OR spell man, dwarf or elf with the drops

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1026 8 years ago

Learning the rules is part of the fun of owning a game, if you can figure them out after a couple of games at a show, wouldn't it get boring pretty fast?

#1027 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Maybe so.

I don't explain things very well, and I know it. once you play the game a couple of times it starts to make sense, just like any other modern game. Have you played it yet?

#1028 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

To qualify a mode you can collect a character (lite character I believe ) OR spell man, dwarf or elf with the drops

image_(resized).jpeg

Can't wait to see the games first real out of beta update.
Looks like there's 3 more multiballs (major multiball scenes) to be added. Hopefully they're attainable with great fun rules.

#1029 8 years ago
Quoted from fluffybunny:

I don't explain things very well, and I know it. once you play the game a couple of times it starts to make sense, just like any other modern game. Have you played it yet?

Made sense to me and actually clears up a lot of questions and concerns I had about the game. Thanks!

#1030 8 years ago

Another comment about the 3 major mb scenes; it would be cool if attaining them were sort of random on which gets lit first and so forth. So it's different everytime you play the game.

And I know Keith loves programming marathon journeys into his games, but I'm hoping attaining mini wizard modes can be done relatively in a short period of time and the final wizard mode attainable in <30 min game. Hopefully they code this game to not have marathon games like LOTR and be more on par with WOZ or other modern pins.

#1031 8 years ago

Just talked with Jen at JJP. I placed my order Aug 7 2013 and was #637 LE. She thought I would see delivery in June. Pleasantly surprised. Thought it would be closer to Christmas. Played a few games at Silverball over the weekend. Really liked it but couldn't hear a damn thing. Will be easier to follow the prompts in my basement.

#1032 8 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

Learning the rules is part of the fun of owning a game, if you can figure them out after a couple of games at a show, wouldn't it get boring pretty fast?

Maybe, maybe not. There are plenty of games with shallow rules that don't get boring to me. On the other hand, I have absolutely nothing against a deep ruleset.

#1033 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Another comment about the 3 major mb scenes; it would be cool if attaining them were sort of random on which gets lit first and so forth. So it's different everytime you play the game.
And I know Keith loves programming marathon journeys into his games, but I'm hoping attaining mini wizard modes can be done relatively in a short period of time and the final wizard mode attainable in <30 min game. Hopefully they code this game to not have marathon games like LOTR and be more on par with WOZ or other modern pins.

I remember a few years back Gary Stern talking about how operators hate long games - 30 min game times means the machine is eating coins.

What is the average duration of a game?
And does it make sense to create a game that takes 30+ mins to unlock everything if people only play for 5 minutes?

#1034 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

the final wizard mode attainable in <30 min game

I doubt this, but I could be mistaken. I'm thinking LotR length, if not longer.

How fast can you get to the final wiz mode on WoZ? Disclaimer: I never got close to it, and had a few 30 minute games (but I miss a lot of needed shots).

#1035 8 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

When I had Iron Man on route, game time avg was less than 1 minute 30 seconds. Tron the avg is around 2 minutes 10 seconds.

#1036 8 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

I remember a few years back Gary Stern talking about how operators hate long games - 30 min game times means the machine is eating coins.
And does it make sense to create a game that takes 30+ mins to unlock everything if people only play for 5 minutes?

If operators want quick ball times they can move out the outlane posts.
For home owners that want to see the whole story bring the posts in...

#1037 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

When I had Iron Man on route, game time avg was less than 1 minute 30 seconds. Tron the avg is around 2 minutes 10 seconds.

Is this "game time avg" for 1 or 3 balls?

#1038 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I doubt this, but I could be mistaken. I'm thinking LotR length, if not longer.
How fast can you get to the final wiz mode on WoZ? Disclaimer: I never got close to it, and had a few 30 minute games (but I miss a lot of needed shots).

Oh i haven't; but reading the WOZ thread, they seem to claim that getting there is about a 20-25 minute game. And, it doesnt have so many roadblocks or repetition like LoTR has.

One thing i love about games like TRON is every time i press start, i feel like i have a chance to make SoS or Portal; and getting there is different each time. Just like GOT; I feel like i can get HOTK, WHC, and IT wizard modes at anytime. Additionally, those wizard modes can be played differently each time.

So Long ball times arent necessarily a downer as long as it feels like youre progressing and playing it differently than the last game. That's what gives that one more game factor, But if its too much work to make the progression and/or it feels too repetitious, then pressing start again isnt as enticing.

#1039 8 years ago

I played it once at TPF and thought the game was pretty good. I liked it better than WOZ for one thing. It did play a bit floaty but think that just matches the style of the game. Some games are fast and unforgiving and some are like this, a little more relaxed. Without knowing any rules or having much skill, I did have long ball times. I can see some people not liking it because of that reason or because of the wide open playfield. I enjoyed playing it but didn't wait in line to play it again. There was other games I rather play because I tend to like the faster games more and not big on the dragon fantasy themes. No denying it is one incredible looking machine. The display is something else. I think a lot of owners are going to be very happy once they get their machines.

#1040 8 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Is this "game time avg" for 1 or 3 balls?

3 ball games. Avg ball on IM when I had it on route was around 30 seconds. That time includes the ball save, lol.

Not everyone who plugs in a coin is SKB

#1041 8 years ago

I sat in the line at TPF to play this game maybe 9 times. I really liked it

#1042 8 years ago
Quoted from fluffybunny:

I have been waiting for a couple of days to post my impressions from TPF, wanted to read a bit what people are saying and catch up on some older posts since I haven't been around pinside for a while.
First off..I am a preorder customer I have an SE and ordered May 2013. That said I am blown away by this game. Everyone knows the history of the game being redesigned after expo, and wow did they hit it out of the park. Pictures online or video do not do this game justice, just like WoZ.
Code is early and you can tell, I would not be surprised to see another multiball mode added to the game. Even with the early code there is still a TON to do. The rules sheet just covers the basic overview but it does not cover going down into the rules. I attended the seminar and that helped, as well as talking with Butch Peel who was around really helped me to get a good handle on the basics by the end of the weekend. Just looking at the playfield and the rules sheets does NOTHING to explain the game and how it plays.
This game is DEEP, and again you would not know of those rules just looking at the rules sheet, you have to really play it and spend some time with it to understand it. It is tough to get that when you have to stand in line for 20 min to play a game. This game will do very well in the home market where you have time, and free play, to get used to the rules.
The lights, I got what I was looking for with the light shows and I know its only going to get better. I love the sweeps of the lights in this game as well as WoZ. The light show in this game is a little more understated then the in your face bright light show of WoZ but it still is very good. I know there will be more added to it as time goes on.
The toys. Amazing quality toys. The big one Smaug. A lot of people compared it to the GoT dragon, well I played Hobbit, then the next game I played was GoT LE. the dragon in hobbit is so much better intergrated. The detail on the GoT dragon may be a little bit better, not much, but the gameplay integration is so much better in hobbit and that will only be improved. It is my understanding that currently smaug has about 20 lines, when all is said and done there will be about 120 lines for smaug.
The LCD. The LCD in my opinion is better than WoZ. The layout of the information is better, the artistic touches are much better, and the resolution seems better.
As you can tell I am very much impressed with the game and very glad to be getting one. If you have not played one, you can't honestly talk about this game. This is a game you have to play multiple times and see in person to be able to appreciate it.

I completely agree with everything he says here. And he makes a great few more points:

1. You've just got to see this in person. Pictures & videos don't come close.
2. Put this in a home environment, and you can spend years learning & enjoying the rules.

#1043 8 years ago

My LE is on the truck (switched from SE, too much dragon art for me). Delivery scheduled for March 29th. In the Seattle WA area. Looking forward to putting some real time on the machine.

#1044 8 years ago

Sorry, nothing against what you said, you explained things just fine, great in fact. I'm just saying its a lot of work to think about complex rules while your just trying to have fun. Like doing algebra problems in your head during sex.

Quoted from fluffybunny:

#1045 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Like doing algebra problems in your head during sex.

Sad to say I have been there done that

#1046 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Sad to say I have been there done that

I think he meant with another person.

#1047 8 years ago

#1048 8 years ago

So I take it no unboxing photos tonight?

#1049 8 years ago

Sorry for the cross-post, but here you go. My Smaug with RAD-cals arrived today.

IMG_0393_(resized).JPGIMG_0393_(resized).JPG

IMG_0394_(resized).JPGIMG_0394_(resized).JPG

IMG_0395_(resized).JPGIMG_0395_(resized).JPG

IMG_0396_(resized).JPGIMG_0396_(resized).JPG

IMG_0397_(resized).JPGIMG_0397_(resized).JPG

#1050 8 years ago

Just set GOT up tonight
image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 1,529 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.