Topic Stats

• 1,529 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 31.
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Oh hell yeah. Now that's the news I'm looking for. CONGRATS!!!

Thanks! There WILL be unboxing photos!

#952 4 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I don't get all the concern for JJP not making this a very polished game code-wise. Of course, they've only ever done one game, I get that but the one game they've done is nothing short of spectacular code-wise. JJP has to realize that it cannot (or at least, is not currently) compete with Stern on the amount of games it can produce and sell. So, JJP must compete and make money by making fantastic high-quality games. At this point TH is complete physically speaking - the only way for it to improve is via code. Given the length of time JJP has taken to produce TH, JJP has burned a lot of cash (and frankly a lot of the good will it initially earned by coming to the pinball market) and the company has to understand that its reputation and future will rise or fall based on how well TH sells over and above preorder sales. JJP has to know that long term viability and its ability to ever bring PL's game to fruition is entirely dependent on TH being as good as it can be code-wise, if not ensuring that TH is completely over the top, crazy deep code-wise.
Simply put, JJP must ensure that TH is absolutely fantastic code-wise in order to get to any point where the company has a hope to reach profitability. Having come this far and spent this much time and money to get here, there is no way that JJP does anything less than codes the hell out of this game and responds to customer feedback to make this as good, code-wise, as humanly possible. Any other business approach from JJP from here wouldn't make any sense. IMHO.

Yea, you're probably right. I think it's just my stern code damaged mind speaking out of place for hobbits concerns

#953 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Anyone receive their Hobbits yet? Not retailers or distributors, reg customers?

Not me, but I'm expecting an invite when someone does.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Not me, but I'm expecting an invite when someone does.

You are always invited to come down and play when I get it. I'm really hoping May.

#955 4 years ago

The Hobbit has left the building! Jen said they shipped it out today, I have my R&L Pro Number and next week my Smaug will be here.

Unboxing will happen Monday or Tuesday, Pinside volunteers welcome. Will update with exact day/time when available. I'm just south of the DFW metroplex.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, it's awesome. It's hammered like the LE, but looks better.

What's the technical / official name for the 'hammered' or mottled powdercoats? Is there one?

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Totally agree.
There's still a big giant question mark in my mind on the code for this game because from what I've heard, they only have a couple months left to get it coded before moving onto pats game. With the new investors and CEO, I imagine they're going to want faster turn arounds. And I don't anticipate we'll see as much code support and detail that we saw with WOZ, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong cause I really like what I'm seeing from hobbit so far with the limited time I got to spend on one (~6hrs).

They will have been coding game #3 since the moment it moved off the drawing board as a concept. Coding doesn't start when there's a fully built prototype delivered. I would assume, being a newly founded modern operation, they do a lot of virtual prototyping like Heighway do, which probably means the code will be relatively far along by the time they're moving through prototypical iterations.

I highly doubt WOZ will be abandoned just yet, and The Hobbit? Didn't they say they have ~20 of a planned ~120 Smaug speech samples (which hook to his playfield model) implemented? They clearly plan on doing a bunch more, though I'm sure a lot of the basic software framework is shared with WOZ, so it won't need nearly as many updates.

#958 4 years ago

Believe is "vein"

image_(resized).png

#959 4 years ago

It's called a Vein or an Artery thats correct.

There are MANY different veins/arteries though. They produce different patterns. Some are colored, some are used as a base.

Silver Artery is the base I use for most effects where color is applied on top.

For example:

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/4513/Prismatic-Candy-Purple-and-Shocker-Yellow-over-Silver-Artery/

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/4511/Prismatic-Orange-Tangelo-and-Shocker-Yellow-over-Silver-Artery/

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

The 15th greastest game.... Of all time

Screenshot_2016-03-16-23-34-33_(resized).png

Another reason why the ranking system on pinside is absolutely worthless.

This *might* end up being a game that breaks the top ten. It is way too early to say that. It doesn't even deserve to be ranked yet.

#961 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What's the technical / official name for the 'hammered' or mottled powdercoats? Is there one?

The technical name is "Unpatchable".

(Ok, pardon, I know that isn't it, but I just had a lockdown bar on a Jumping Jack I just picked up that looked like someone dropped and it had a burr right on the left palm place. A little wet dry sandpaper, and a bit of buffing and you can't even tell it was there. I'm always concerned about rings and things bashing the lockdown bar on newer powdercoated games).

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

The 15th greastest game.... Of all time

Technically the 14th greatest (according to Pinside) if we were counting ratings based on TITLE only, regardless of whether there's a pro, LE, premium, vault or whatever the heck else they come up with.

#963 4 years ago

1458258408464-937858265_(resized).jpg

#964 4 years ago

Jen called, next week's delivery. Secondly my pal was at JJP and said they were busy building games.

#965 4 years ago

Guys - the game looks great, and I enjoyed playing it. I think those that ordered will be happy.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's called a Vein or an Artery thats correct.
There are MANY different veins/arteries though. They produce different patterns. Some are colored, some are used as a base.
Silver Artery is the base I use for most effects where color is applied on top.
For example:
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/4513/Prismatic-Candy-Purple-and-Shocker-Yellow-over-Silver-Artery/
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/4511/Prismatic-Orange-Tangelo-and-Shocker-Yellow-over-Silver-Artery/

Did you do the armor on TH that made the rounds in California? That was truly stunning work.

#967 4 years ago

If Hobbit's have been shipping since last Monday (i was told), where are all the pics, unboxings, videos from people?

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If Hobbit's have been shipping since last Monday (i was told), where are all the pics, unboxings, videos from people?

Not every pinball buyer posts on Pinside. I'm sure lots are coming.

LTG : )

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not every pinball buyer posts on Pinside. I'm sure lots are coming.

I think most customers hobbits are being shipped this week and next week. Most retailers, distributors got theirs last week and this week..

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think most customers hobbits are being shipped this week and next week. Most retailers, distributors got theirs last week and this week..

I think it was a mix of customers, retailers, distributors.

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I think it was a mix of customers, retailers, distributors.

I'm sure pretty soon Pinside will be flooded w/ video gameplay, thoughts of the game, high scores. How do you like yours LTG?

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

How do you like yours LTG?

I am biased.

I first played it two years ago before Expo, thought it was a lot of fun.

After all the improvements, they really knocked this one out of the park. Kept the fun and made it awesome.

#973 4 years ago

I played this a few times at TPF and I'm blown away at how high red the playfield is. It's a stunning game in person.

#974 4 years ago

Here is a long interesting video of the Hobbit from a twitch record:

#975 4 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

» YouTube video

Things certainly don't look floaty in that video...and the flippers look STRONG! No problems backhanding the ramps.

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Things certainly don't look floaty in that video...and the flippers look STRONG! No problems backhanding the ramps.

Yea. That game was setup great!

Have you guys noticed that in some of the videos, the right ramp return inlane will sometimes get bounce outs?

#977 4 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

» YouTube video

Wow, fast!
Can you ask the guy what pitch he had it set up as?

#978 4 years ago

Well, I got to play Hobbit. I'm not going to go into a real deep review, but I will give some brief impressions.

Game is gorgeous in person. I mean it looks great in pictures too, but it just isn't as impressive as seeing it in person. I think the LCD screen looks incredible in terms of quality, sharpness, contrast and overall how it is implemented. Very impressive. This is much more impressive to me than how the LCD is used on WOZ.

When I played it, I was thinking how big and empty the middle of the playfield was, and I really wasn't sure that I would like it. However, this changed pretty quickly. The pop ups (aka "trolls") can quickly make that big open playfield seem much more crowded, especially if you get all four of them going up and down at once (I only noticed that during MB). The trolls do come up quite a bit, apparently with every other roll over in the inlanes. But they don't stay up for long since they are hurry up shots. They are very well lit by LEDs from below. Nice.

The thing I was probably the most surprised by and was very important to me, was how satisfying and smooth the shots were. I think there is something about the open wide body playfield that makes those long shots to the ramps and orbits more satisfying than normal. The orbits really feel great when you hit them cleanly, and the sounds of the spinners help tremendously with how good those orbits feel. The ramps are similarly smooth and satisfying. The one I played seemed to have the flippers dialed down a bit so they were just slightly weaker than I would have preferred, but based on other videos I've seen like the one above, I know that this will not be an issue.

As for code, I know that there is a lot more to come, so it's probably not really even worth commenting on at this point. I would be surprised if the code doesn't turn out great given who is working on it.

So glad that this long delayed pin is finally shipping. I will be ordering one.

#979 4 years ago

Anything interesting discussed at Jack's TPF seminar?

#980 4 years ago

I've gotten to play it twice now here at TPF and it is fun and challenging and fun The only complaint I have is that with that wonderful looking LCD screen, the translight around it, is very Washed out with a poor color range or it is over exposed in the whites and not enough darks. That maybe a minor nitpick, but All in all it is a beautiful Fun game and I cannot wait to get mine.

#981 4 years ago
Quoted from Armouredhobbit:

I've gotten to play it twice now here at TPF and it is fun and challenging and fun The only complaint I have is that with that wonderful looking LCD screen, the translight around it, is very Washed out with a poor color range or it is over exposed in the whites and not enough darks. That maybe a minor nitpick, but All in all it is a beautiful Fun game and I cannot wait to get mine.

Might look better in a darker room. Seems like most places the hobbit has been its been bright.

#982 4 years ago

Can that be solved with a fluoro that isn't as bright?

#983 4 years ago

I agree the back glass does look washed out. I think the light might be too bright and the color temperature too cool. I noticed this a little bit in my WOZ but it's pretty much dark green so I don't think it shows up as much as the Hobbit does. I'll be trying to remedy this when i get mine. If anyone comes up with a solution let us know.

#984 4 years ago

I expect replacing the "cool white" LED strip behind the translite with a "warm white" strip may improve the color as it is way too washed out. I am waiting until I get my Hobbit to play around with it.

I also expect one of the LED sellers will to come out with a simple fix as it shouldn't be difficult, just need to know the connector and match the power draw.

I just wish JJP would look at it and see it as too blue/washed out and not require us to fix it.

#985 4 years ago

Here's a pic from last night at Flipper's in NC in darker light. I only got a little of the upper translight but you can see it's kind of washed out looking.

20160319_202527_(resized).jpg

#986 4 years ago

The hammered finish looks nice - the nicest I've ever seen on a pin.

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Here's a pic from last night at Flipper's in NC in darker light. I only got a little of the upper translight but you can see it's kind of washed out looking.

20160319_202527_(resized).jpg

Flippers has TH at $0.50 a game?

I love that place.

#988 4 years ago

Yes , only 50 cents. I played a few games then gave away my tokens to a 5 year old kid that was begging. I was so pleased to see a kid into pinball and not video games.

#989 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Yes , only 50 cents. I played a few games then gave away my tokens to a 5 year old kid that was begging. I was so pleased to see a kid into pinball and not video games.

Its such a great place. I remember the first time I went, I immediately bought like $30 or $40 worth of tokens when i saw just how many GREAT games they had....

3 hours later, I still had a pocket full of tokens due to the low prices!

#990 4 years ago

Hey LTG, I noticed this on another forum, someone managed to get a ball stuck on a troll as it was closing and ball search couldn't locate it -

http://imgur.com/0p7AQjY

"Finally got to play The Hobbit Last night... then this happened. Believe it or not, ball search can't unstick this."

Seems like a quick easy code update fix to me, nothing to worry about, I'm just posting it to help get it to JJP tech. Someone else noted the same thing happened to them and ball search was able to locate it.

0p7AQjYg_(resized).jpg

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Hey LTG, I noticed this on another forum, someone managed to get a ball stuck on a troll as it was closing and ball search couldn't locate it -

Weird. I've had it happen and ball search kicked it up and out.

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Weird. I've had it happen and ball search kicked it up and out.

Agree w/ you LTG. I have played it about 10-15 times and the one time the ball got stuck, the ball search found it. Hmmmmm

#993 4 years ago

in about a 6 hour hobbit session with about 20-25 ppl, it happened to us once the whole night and ball search wouldn't unstick it. Hopefully code can fix it but I have my doubts cause the ball search was pulsing the other pop ups but not the stuck one. Guess we'll see.

#994 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

it happened to us once the whole night and ball search wouldn't unstick it.

Maybe the pop up wasn't working ? Ball search is definitely in the code.

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe the pop up wasn't working ? Ball search is definitely in the code.

On our machine it was working all night. But with the ball stuck under the pop up, it's like the coil didn't have enough juice to free it up. Don't know if code will be able to fix that.

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

On our machine it was working all night. But with the ball stuck under the pop up, it's like the coil didn't have enough juice to free it up. Don't know if code will be able to fix that.

It might need adjusting to get a full WHACK. At the bottom of the assembly is a nut, loosen it and on the other side is a rubber stopper - raise it so things ride a little higher in the coil.

#997 4 years ago

It's here.

Can't open without friends tho.

image_(resized).jpeg

#998 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

It's here.
Can't open without friends tho.

Congrats! Take your time unboxing it and enjoy it. Got to play it this weekend it's a lot of fun

#999 4 years ago

What's the width of TH (or even WOZ). Curious if it would even fit through the front door.

#1000 4 years ago

Got the call today. My SE #114 should be here in the next couple days!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 88.00
There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside