Topic Stats

• 1,529 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160525_230422419_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_5217_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160711_124052_(resized).jpg
medieval_(resized).jpg
gm_incensed_(resized).jpg

There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 31.
#701 2 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

My wife and I got to play at the PPM in Oakland last night (had to leave because my wife went into labor). The Hobbit is really impressive, as is Jersey Jack himself. While playing I played the "Fall of Erebor" mode, and the lighting on the field looked very much like Smaug was burning Erebor down. The lights on the dwarf drop targets were pulsing orange waves away from him (the targets were dropping and closing too), it was such a cool mode. And that was just one of the modes on the screen, and not one even directly referenced in the ruleset. This pin is awesome!
We had a really good time, it also sounds like TH is shipping *very* soon.

So you saying it was not good enough to skip you child's birth?

Glad the game went well, how about the rest of the night?

#702 2 years ago

I took the Hellfire over the bridge to swing by PPM last night. Really enjoyed the gameplay and thought the whole package was stunning. I'm glad I decided that it would be worth my time even though I'd be getting there with about 45 mins left to play.

#703 2 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

My wife and I got to play at the PPM in Oakland last night (had to leave because my wife went into labor).

This is TRUE! What an OUTSTANDING couple.IMG_00003991_(resized).jpg

#704 2 years ago

Looked back through history update thread says it is on track for 2014...again 2015...again 2016. I really hope everyone gets a machine soon. The game is fully loaded and I would like to put quarters in one.

#705 2 years ago

The IFPA is excited to announce that we are partnering with Jersey Jack Pinball, Tokens & Tankards and This Flippin Podcast to host a launch party and tournament for JJP’s The Hobbit pinball machine.

For information:
http://www.ifpapinball.com/hobbit-pinball-midwest-launch-party/

To watch the fun on tourney day:
http://www.twitch.tv/thisflippinpodcast

#706 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So you saying it was not good enough to skip you child's birth?
Glad the game went well, how about the rest of the night?

The baby arrived last night because he wanted to play too ;D. Beyond that... still running on about two hours of sleep, but baby, Mom, and big brother are doing great! The older one is two, he is pumped about "Dragon Pinball".

1_NewBaby_(resized).jpg

2_JackAndUs_(resized).jpg

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryD:

A true pinhead.... Hardly mentions he just had a kid, but goes into details about a new pin

A true pinhead would have called her a cab and met her at the hospital later. lol.

#708 2 years ago

Anyone get any new footage of TH at the latest event?

#709 2 years ago

So bummed, invited to go play it Sat, but I'm frickin working....I need to play Hobbit now.

#710 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Anyone get any new footage of TH at the latest event?

It is *really* short but this did get taken there:

#711 2 years ago

Brilliant story, congrats goldant!!

Did you name him Jack?

#712 2 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

It is *really* short but this did get taken there: » YouTube video

I'll take it!

Thanks

#713 2 years ago

I was told today by Jen, Hobbits are shipping next week.

#714 2 years ago

Just saying, games that were put at 5th Estate, Silverball and Jackbar were put there to test everything before games started really going out all over the world. The weldments on the left ramp failed on one or two much like the Stern trough upkickers welds are always found broken. I'm glad they reinforced or replaced them with heartier. As soon as any issue arised, Jacks team was alerted, truse me. Jack got instant info were from Jon and the others.

#715 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Brilliant story, congrats goldant!!
Did you name him Jack?

No, but we did joke with Jack about it. Our two year old keeps calling the baby Jack now haha . When we were on our way out Jack gave us a signed translite, it really was an awesome night .

Quoted from Skyemont:

I was told today by Jen, Hobbits are shipping next week.

Jack mentioned at the event that Hobbits would be shipping next week as well. We're so close!!

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

No, but we did joke with Jack about it. Our two year old keeps calling the baby Jack now haha . When we were on our way out Jack gave us a signed translite, it really was an awesome night .

Jack mentioned at the event that Hobbits would be shipping next week as well. We're so close!!

I can't wait. Everyone needs to say the following on this thread:

1. Of course show pics
2. Who did you order from
3. Date you rec'd yours....

#717 2 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Bilbo would be a much better name.

#718 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Yes, but Frodo Lives.

#719 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

But under no circumstances would Radagast work!

#720 2 years ago

#721 2 years ago

What's the advantage to selecting a dealer? Is it not the same price everywhere? Closest to me, customer service, lag on deposit vs delivery? By close, avoid shipping?

#722 2 years ago

Edit.

#723 2 years ago

Went to play the Hobbit tonight at that comic book store in Hollywood. Won a hobbit translight for one of the high scores, but I think anyone who asked probably could have gotten one since not a lot of people showed up. All you socal guys dropped the ball by not coming out. Seriously, you can't handle a little traffic? It's no wonder pinball companies never have these events here.

As for my first impression of the Hobbitt after getting 4 plays on it tonight:
It was set up with a low pitch (felt like maybe 6 degrees) and low flipper power so it played slow and felt rather easy.(of course I just got a TWD premium which makes almost every pin seem easy) I'm not sure why they set it up that way. Kicking up the flipper strength, setting pitch to 7 degrees and a fresh coat of wax would make for a much more fun and challenging experience.

The third flipper main shot is on the fly from the left outlane kickback then try to hit Smaug targets. Hard to do but kinda cool. Reminds me of trying to hit piano scoop on TZ with right upper flipper to left upper flipper combo. You can make the left ramp with the upper flipper, but because it was not designed for that and the shot is at a bad angle, it is awkward and the ramp takes a beating. Using the third flipper is a litte dangerous, since a mis-timed shot can send it down the left drain.

The four troll shots are fun to shoot for, but I wonder how the two lower ones will hold up longterm with full power flippers since they are so close. When the trolls are not up, there is an awful lot of open playfield.

The game is a thing of beauty and the display looks much better than WOZ, crisper. Sound is incredible, again much better than WOZ or anything else. Code seems like it still has a ways to go, but much further along than when WOZ first shipped.

I was worried about the fishtails ramps feeling like just one ramp and not being fun to shoot(like Fishtales) but they do not feel the same partially because its a longer shot. The ramps feel like two seperate ramps and are both fun to shoot. EDIT: The horseshoe shot, when a weak shot barely makes it up one ramp but not all the way around, falls back down the other is not coded yet. Basically, nothing happens, although there are optos there to recognize the shot. Curious if that can be a goal since it seems possible to intentionally let up on flipper strength to make it!

I owned WOZ for more than a year before selling it. Like some here have stated, I felt WOZ had no satisfying shots. This is not the case with Hobbit. The loops, ramps, and trolls are all satisfying in spite of the way this particular machine was set up. Would have been nice if Smaug was a bash toy, but his head and mouth movement is pretty cool. Again, I only spent 4 games on it, but The Hobbit has a lot of potential. When code is completed, and the game is set up properly, I can see it being a winner for Jack. Just my humble opinion.

#724 2 years ago

Good write up. I really don't miss LA traffic!

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It was set up with a low pitch (felt like maybe 6 degrees) and low flipper power so it played slow and felt rather easy.(of course I just got a TWD premium which makes almost every pin seem easy) I'm not sure why they set it up that way. Kicking up the flipper strength, setting pitch to 7 degrees and a fresh coat of wax would make for a much more fun and challenging experience.

This has been the complaint for a long time now, and this was my complaint with it when I played it in four different locations. I'm really not sure it's the pitch or flippers at this point, and it's the main reason I decided to back out of my order.

#726 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This has been the complaint for a long time now, and this was my complaint with it when I played it in four different locations. I'm really not sure it's the pitch or flippers at this point, and it's the main reason I decided to back out of my order.

Its the pitch and flippers at this point. I discussed this with Jack and he agreed that he loves a fast playfield with back legs all the way up. He mentioned that the legs that are shipping will have longer leg levelers than before to increase the pitch even higher than ever. He didnt go into details why they set up Hobbit, and for that matter WOZ low and slow for their public appearances. If I had to guess, there are two main reasons. One, and most importantly, with just one machine on location, they cant risk it breaking down. Secondly, most people stepping up to play at these public events are, to say it nicely, suckingly bad at pinball. Gotta make them feel good about themselves.

image_(resized).jpeg

#727 2 years ago

In case it has not been reported yet, Jack posted that he expects the completed, ramp fixed Hobbits to start shipping later this week. Let the fun begin!

#728 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Secondly, most people stepping up to play at these public events are, to say it nicely, suckingly bad at pinball. Gotta make them feel good about themselves.

image_(resized).jpeg

This is probably it! I have a couple games on location and most people are really terrible. You can see it in the stats.

#729 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Secondly, most people stepping up to play at these public events are, to say it nicely, suckingly bad at pinball.

You just described me perfectly.

But I can't accept that it's the pitch and flippers at such a late stage of the development. They're supposed to be shipping next week--I'll be interested to hear feedback from owners playing in a home environment.

#730 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll be interested to hear feedback from owners playing in a home environment.

I'll be interested in feedback from a tech support environment.

LTG : )

#731 2 years ago

Just found this recorded video from yesterday. Haven't watched any of it yet...but thought I would post it here:

#732 2 years ago

I played a couple of balls on the one at Louisville Arcade Expo Last night. Someone with a YouTube account will get some video this weekend I expect. Very nice game.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#733 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Just found this recorded video from yesterday. Haven't watched any of it yet...but thought I would post it here:
» YouTube video

I just saw the video. It was a kick to see Jim Jefferies walk up at around 42:55. Jack recognized him and seemed to be a fan, stopping the interview to pose in a picture with him. And Jim knew about JJP and became part of the interview.

In case anyone doesn't know who he is, here are a couple of old clips when he was on Conan.

#734 2 years ago

One of my favorite comedians.

#735 2 years ago

This guy is hilarious. Hes the one that does the bit on gun control. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and you tube it!

#736 2 years ago

*quick disclaimer* I do not have a hobbit on order and have no pony in the race. I don't give a sh*t about the politics of pinball, I just love to play and have fun. That said....

Stopping in to say you hobbit owners have NOTHING to be nervous about. I played about 8-9 games last night and watched several others play. I got to meet Jack and speak with him for a good half hour after playing the game. He's Very nice and a way cool guy. I didn't know what to expect going in. The open pf and appearance of lack of shots had me thinking it was going to be a dud. But to my surprise, this game came together VERY well theme wise; the Orc pop ups were fantastic and fun to shoot, the ramp shots are satisfying, and the two loop shots felt very good to hit.

Here's a rundown of my mini review:

Cons:
- left outlane kickback: several times the kickback failed or didn't even kick or did something other than shooting the ball back into play resulting in an end of ball bonus. This happened several times even at mode starts, but more often in multiball.

- lot of code lacking; including certain mode starts having a meter to time with the ring button but didn't do anything.

- right hole with VUK. Not a very reliable shot, you more have to get lucky to get the ball in there. Perhaps some drop dead ball foam will help?

- the shooter plunger felt weak, extremely weak and loose.

- ramp shots/weak flippers? from cradle or from an inlane feed, hitting the Ramps was very reliable and satisfying. But too many flail on the fly shots resulted in 'U-turn' ramp shots. This wouldn't be so bad if there was code associated to the U-turn. Even a cool sound effect and randomizing the book pages or something would suffice.

- we got one ball stuck under a pop up orc the whole night and a ball search wouldn't free it. Plus, one of the pop up orcs wasn't sitting exactly flush on the pf. Some concern, but definitely not a deal breaker and a few adjustments could probably fix.

All in all, my cons list can, for the most part, be corrected by code so it's not all that concerning. Now for the good:

- it's a visual orgasm. The animations and choreography are over the top amazing. The use of the jjp staple display is used much nicer than WOZ. It just looks and feels right.

- the pf art and lighting is amazing.

- gameplay: I was concerned at first for the wide open pf. But the 4 Orc pop ups are beautifully coded and integrated well. They were fun to hit, and felt good. The ramp shots felt satisfying, especially the right, probably cause it was a more critical shot; but whet felt better to shoot were the two loop shots with spinners. Good stuff. The right flipper didn't feel to serve much of a purpose but once I did loop the left orbit to right flipper to the VUK behind the drops. So I'm thinking some clever code can make a shot like that a huge super mega orgasmic jackpot of some sort. Overall, I Was a bit hesitant at first with the open wide body layout, but in the end it was fun and satisfying to shoot.

- ring button: some awesome uses with the button. You can select your skill shot and get different awards or advantages by making that specific skill shot. You can also use the ring button to toggle from bypassing a locked ball shot to starting a mode instead. There was also other uses like backstabbing orcs, though I never figured out how to utilize this option.

- it was difficult at first to figure out how to light, start, shuffle modes. But once I understood that, it was very satisfying. And the digital Bilbo book above the pops is amazing! It clearly indicates what to shoot for on the mode your on. It was very cool.

- the modes themselves were simple, short, diverse, and effective. I didn't notice too many stacking possibilities other than being able to start modes while in multiball. Hopefully code will address that in some sort of fashion.

- the drops were very cool. It was tough at times to figure out what rules, if any, were associated with the drops and what advancement in the game they served but there did seem to be some rule of progression associated with it and I started seeing a pattern with them but didn't get enough time to completely figure it out. But all in all, the drops and stand ups felt good to shoot.

Final thoughts:
Smaug seemed goofy and a missed opportunity at first, but he's actually animated and used quite well. His jaw doesn't just move up and down, but slightly side to side giving him a more animated feel. He interacts with the game at times very good.

The game plays different than anything I've played, and it was quite fun. There's potential for very long ball times, but hopefully Keith can find the balance of punishing players while making game advancement smooth, fast, and satisfying.

There's a lot of possibilities for code, and I think that code will bring this good game to a lively fantastic game. Luckily, we know who's behind the console board for code - Keith. And after seeing the WOZ rules, I think code will no doubt be superb.

The game is a looker and a shooter. Fun for all levels it would appear. I would have thrown down the cash right then and there if I could have one in a week or two but obviously that's not an option.

Oh, and beast frenzy is awesome!!!!

#737 2 years ago

Here is a link to some photos I took at the Hobbit party last night https://goo.gl/photos/4ESKQqvRuy2m2Qim6

IMG_7636_(resized).JPG

IMG_7642_(resized).JPG

IMG_7644_(resized).JPG

IMG_7620_(resized).JPG

#738 2 years ago

Dunno if it's been posted yet, but here is a German unboxing video:
https://www.facebook.com/620911437922994/videos/1238546972826101/

And some gameplay:
https://www.facebook.com/620911437922994/videos/1239797282701070/

#739 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

*quick disclaimer* I do not have a hobbit on order and have no pony in the race. I don't give a sh*t about the politics of pinball, I just love to play and have fun. That said....
Stopping in to say you hobbit owners have NOTHING to be nervous about. I played about 8-9 games last night and watched several others play. I got to meet Jack and speak with him for a good half hour after playing the game. He's Very nice and a way cool guy. I didn't know what to expect going in. The open pf and appearance of lack of shots had me thinking it was going to be a dud. But to my surprise, this game came together VERY well theme wise; the Orc pop ups were fantastic and fun to shoot, the ramp shots are satisfying, and the two loop shots felt very good to hit.
Here's a rundown of my mini review:
Cons:
- left outlane kickback: several times the kickback failed or didn't even kick or did something other than shooting the ball back into play resulting in an end of ball bonus. This happened several times even at mode starts, but more often in multiball.
- lot of code lacking; including certain mode starts having a meter to time with the ring button but didn't do anything.
- right hole with VUK. Not a very reliable shot, you more have to get lucky to get the ball in there. Perhaps some drop dead ball foam will help?
- the shooter plunger felt weak, extremely weak and loose.
- ramp shots/weak flippers? from cradle or from an inlane feed, hitting the Ramps was very reliable and satisfying. But too many flail on the fly shots resulted in 'U-turn' ramp shots. This wouldn't be so bad if there was code associated to the U-turn. Even a cool sound effect and randomizing the book pages or something would suffice.
- we got one ball stuck under a pop up orc the whole night and a ball search wouldn't free it. Plus, one of the pop up orcs wasn't sitting exactly flush on the pf. Some concern, but definitely not a deal breaker and a few adjustments could probably fix.
All in all, my cons list can, for the most part, be corrected by code so it's not all that concerning. Now for the good:
- it's a visual orgasm. The animations and choreography are over the top amazing. The use of the jjp staple display is used much nicer than WOZ. It just looks and feels right.
- the pf art and lighting is amazing.
- gameplay: I was concerned at first for the wide open pf. But the 4 Orc pop ups are beautifully coded and integrated well. They were fun to hit, and felt good. The ramp shots felt satisfying, especially the right, probably cause it was a more critical shot; but whet felt better to shoot were the two loop shots with spinners. Good stuff. The right flipper didn't feel to serve much of a purpose but once I did loop the left orbit to right flipper to the VUK behind the drops. So I'm thinking some clever code can make a shot like that a huge super mega orgasmic jackpot of some sort. Overall, I Was a bit hesitant at first with the open wide body layout, but in the end it was fun and satisfying to shoot.
- ring button: some awesome uses with the button. You can select your skill shot and get different awards or advantages by making that specific skill shot. You can also use the ring button to toggle from bypassing a locked ball shot to starting a mode instead. There was also other uses like backstabbing orcs, though I never figured out how to utilize this option.
- it was difficult at first to figure out how to light, start, shuffle modes. But once I understood that, it was very satisfying. And the digital Bilbo book above the pops is amazing! It clearly indicates what to shoot for on the mode your on. It was very cool.
- the modes themselves were simple, short, diverse, and effective. I didn't notice too many stacking possibilities other than being able to start modes while in multiball. Hopefully code will address that in some sort of fashion.
- the drops were very cool. It was tough at times to figure out what rules, if any, were associated with the drops and what advancement in the game they served but there did seem to be some rule of progression associated with it and I started seeing a pattern with them but didn't get enough time to completely figure it out. But all in all, the drops and stand ups felt good to shoot.
Final thoughts:
Smaug seemed goofy and a missed opportunity at first, but he's actually animated and used quite well. His jaw doesn't just move up and down, but slightly side to side giving him a more animated feel. He interacts with the game at times very good.
The game plays different than anything I've played, and it was quite fun. There's potential for very long ball times, but hopefully Keith can find the balance of punishing players while making game advancement smooth, fast, and satisfying.
There's a lot of possibilities for code, and I think that code will bring this good game to a lively fantastic game. Luckily, we know who's behind the console board for code - Keith. And after seeing the WOZ rules, I think code will no doubt be superb.
The game is a looker and a shooter. Fun for all levels it would appear. I would have thrown down the cash right then and there if I could have one in a week or two but obviously that's not an option.
Oh, and beast frenzy is awesome!!!!

It was great talking to Eskaybee, Rob T and Pacman last night. Great to meet you guys.

I have a Hobbit on order but have been concerned about the open playfield as well. It didn't seem like there were any interesting shots. But I like to wait until the product is done to make any final judgement. It was my first time seeing or playing The Hobbit. The first thing that got me was the video used on the screen. My oh my it's beautiful! It's like watching a crystal clear Blu ray dvd. But this makes sense due to the fact that the film WOZ is very old. The playfield is gorgeous as well.

The shots were fun. The flow on this game is much better than WOZ and very smooth. We know WOZ wasn't designed for flow, but the Hobbit is very gratifying flow wise. The code had some cool stuff going on. There are modes in the game that penalize you if you make the wrong shot. I confirmed this with Jack. I made a wrong shot and it sent my ball to the outlane. If I had a kickback lit, it would have saved the ball, but that wasn't the case so I lost it. The dragon head was slightly larger than I thought it was, but it was cool. The mouth moving with the speech was very cool. Jack said hardly any speech is in the code yet, so it was repetitive, but that's to be expected. It will rock, I'm sure when it's done. Can't wait for the ultimate Super Jackpot callout.

Also, I know all of us talk about the flippers and such of this game. In my mind, once i get mine, I will be able to set it up to play however I wish. The game yesterday got nonstop play for hours, so the flipper coils were I'm sure not at full strength after hours of use. Plus, they are set up softer so the game can take the hours of play. Eskaybee mentioned the right outline not sending the ball back to the playfield which is correct. I lost 3 balls that were suppose to go back in play. Did it suck? of course, but I think it's something mechanical that maybe a little tweaking could help. Maybe that had to do with the hours of play as well. It didn't occur every time.

Anyway, just a little feedback from my time with the machine. I'm now looking forward to getting mine. If the code is well balanced, the game will be very fun.

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

If the code is well balanced, the game will be very fun.

It's Keith! It will be balanced, it will be fun!

#741 2 years ago

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING: Short version, Hobbit was cool to see!

Played Hobbit today (the one pictured above, the owner, Pat, plays in league with me). Was great to get hands on time with it, I didn't get a chance at Expo, only watched some gameplay on it, never had the time to stand in line. (Insert Molly hogging the game all Expo joke! I know you're lurking!)

So I'm aware that I'm working on Alien, and I'm competing with Hobbit for dollars. There's no ignoring that. So I just want to be say that I was happy to be able to see and talk to Jack today, and we're on nothing but good terms as far as I know. And I'd like to keep it that way! And they're finally able to show off a ton of work, and that's awesome.

So I'd like to give some impressions, but I want to be fair and not say anything that wouldn't be fair as a competitor to say. I think I've pushed that line too far in that past. So how about I list some of my favorite things about it, and then maybe give a couple thoughts just in terms of what I'd like to know more about or didn't get. And I'll do my best to be fair and just share my thoughts in a constructive and positive way.

First off, the game really looks great. Ton of polish put into it. Big hats off to JP DeWin, the animation is really just glowing with the effort put into it. The playfield looks great, and really works with the LCD in terms of linking together styles. The playfield being really Photoshop photorealistic, with the addition of a lot of geometric flourishes ties to the display nicely I think, everything is very saturated, and layered across all of the game. It feels bright, and colorful in a good way.

Jack and I were chatting about the old playfield and what I said when it was revealed (friendly chat, honestly) and I really want to give him credit for being glad they decided to make things right. It's better, he knows it just like everyone else, and I think they should be proud of the end result. Not every company would take the time (and money) to do that.

I was in a loud room, full of people talking and competing, probably 12 games going at once, so I couldn't really enjoy the audio enough. I'm really excited to hear what David Thiel has done when I can play it in a home setting (Jack, ship Nimblepin's game soon!). My favorite sound effect though was the fish slopping down into the barrel. Such a great sound, it really sells the visual on the screen.

Overall I thought it was a really impressive package. End of story, whatever else I think should be secondary to that.

---

Here's how I'd list some personal things I noticed when I was playing and watching, but I'm not trying to be negative if I say that I didn't get some parts of it or something. I'd totally welcome answers if people know, or even just opinions in response.

I loved the LCD animation, but I did find the information on the game pretty overwhelming. It's all rendered really well, and I can tell there's a lot of thought put into the quadrants, and a true system and logic to it all. And the book LCD really improved, and I thought the look it has is very cool, and the page turning animation looks great. It's a great addition to the game and doesn't feel like an afterthought at all. If you felt that way before I'd understand it, I did too a bit, but I'm totally won over.

But it's a lot to take in while playing pinball. There's just a lot of things moving and asking for your attention when you glance up, and at least as a new player it's hard to parse. I think I'd like to play some back to back games, or have someone who knows the rules explain it to me, because I'm sure it starts to become useful and interesting once you get it more.

I feel like maybe there was a video that pointed out what the different screens were all for, does anyone else remember that? Like obviously the lower left quadrant is about the beast pop ups. But I wasn't always clear on what the screen was really telling me. It seemed like it was constantly saying hurry up ready on each one, with bouncing text that made it seem important. But I'm not following what I'm tracking there, does anyone know the rules for it? Like, when are they ready or not ready? It seems like those pop ups come up constantly as you play, and I'm not really clear what I'm trying to strive for there and track in that part of the screen. Is there some end goal? Am I supposed to be aiming for or avoiding the inlanes for them strategically?

I know there was a beast hurry up frenzy, but I'm not sure what started it. It's apparently endless as long as you can keep the balls in play and not let the hurry up timer run down. That's what Jack told me at least. So I was trying to figure out how it all goes together. Like is it just a constant of the game that you shoot the beast pop ups with a fairly consistent regularity, or is there some overarching goal?

The lower right is dwarves, and that's a great look. It's nicely restrained, with the greyed out, almost stone looking dwarves and the lit up, color ones. And the bottom score area is great, love that it shows the other players scores. We're doing the same thing on Alien, and at the bottom too, I'm just convinced that's the smartest place for it from a UX standpoint, both in terms of general UI considerations. It's just good design. (WOZ did this too of course.)

The honeycomb looks great. Good design, good animation. It is overwhelming in terms of how many things occupy it. Again, I'm sure with time it will become more clear what it all means. It's just hard to know what I'm looking at it for. It does show how many empty things you've filled in, and I know sometimes they're bigger and animated, and I think that's what mode is currently running right? And if you stack do you see multiple big ones? It was hard to follow the screen and the gameplay at the same time since I'm not familiar with the rules. I assume you're just generally trying to fill it up though. A lot of things to fill, I don't doubt it will take an epic game to actually finish everything.

The ring button is used in lots of clever ways. Like the skill shot change is great. It wasn't clear that I was supposed to hit that outlane target on the right, but my friend did it on his game, and won the ring meter game for a ball save. Now that I know I'll go for that. I like that it's short and sweet. Changing skill shots is great. I like seeing a button really used in a versatile way like that on a pin, I'd love to see more of that.

There doesn't appear to be a ball save light, that was confusing. There's a shoot again insert, assuming it just hasn't been turned on there yet.

The beasts are constantly popping up, and I'm not entirely sure why. Am I supposed to just keep hitting them all the time? I assume I want to constantly go for the inlanes that are lit to try and work them into triggering right? Do I ever want to not do that? They come up during multiball and make it hard to shoot things, I assume that's deliberate, right? Is there way to not have that happen or is it built into the basic rules?

Basically I think I need some tips on how some of the game structure works, a couple games and watching some others for a bit just isn't enough to put it all together as a big picture package yet.

I'd say that the game was full of lots of interesting ideas, some great ideas, and all rendered well. It's an impressive piece of work.

I'm just not sure yet to make of it as a game yet. It's a lot to take in. The narrative jumps all over the timeline, at one point you're in Bilbo's apartment, and he's looking at the contract, and then suddenly he's running from Smaug, because you started multiball. It's interesting how different it feels from LOTR, and that was actually a comment several different people told me. I guess it's inevitable the two will be compared though. Same general theme, same programmer, and two very different visions.

Very interested to see how it develops further, and how I learn more about it. I'm not much of a fan of the movies, I think they're bloated and meandering and even Peter Jackson admits it. Maybe the pin will be able to distill just the best bits, and maybe it doesn't matter that they all mash together and jump around the timeline. Could be the right way to do it all. I just feel like for first impressions it was hard to piece it all together. Curious to hear how owners feel after they have it for a bit and get it all, bet they'll be able to explain a lot more to me.

Great job all around JJP.

If I can be permitted one Alien plug, what I'll say is that our game and Hobbit are going to be very different games. They might share some similar bones, both widebodies with LCD screens, RGB lighting, movie themes, etc. But the approach is very different. And I think that's a great thing. Diversity and experimentation and new ideas are wonderful for the hobby. And I'm excited to see how both games develop, and my hope is that there are collectors who will put them side by side. (And if you can't decide, just buy Alien!! )

#742 2 years ago

Also, I just want to make an addendum to my above post, to be clear: I don't think pinballs exist to tell stories, at least not in a linear fashion. I don't think movie-base pins should be about walking through the film, in order.

So if I seemed critical of Hobbit jumping around I'm not for that general reason, I just wasn't able to follow all the transitions sometimes. Alien will have moments where both films "collide", and I think that's a good thing. If you want to watch the film, put in the disc, or fire up Netflix, or whatever.

Gameplay comes first. Always. But I do think it's cool when you can still tell a story with pinball. People kept mentioning to me today how much they love how LOTR feels like they're on an adventure. So we know Keith already knows how to do it!

#743 2 years ago

Pic of game in question. Kyle playing in his Arcade Expo Technician shirt, and he earned wearing that!

image_(resized).jpeg

#744 2 years ago

I guess the issue is that the The Hobbit is still running some beta software. I think 0.26? Same software for over a year. Keith must be working on everything in the background and will dump 1.00 in the coming weeks. So it's hard to judge a lot of software because a lot will change over the coming weeks and even years.

Quoted from Aurich:

I was in a loud room, full of people talking and competing, probably 12 games going at once,

That's a pity, but as above I think the sound is still what it was a year ago as well. I think Dave Theil said on pinside said that Smaug will say about 120 things and only a couple are programmed in now. They made Woz sound epic and that is a 75 year old movie. I think it has the potential to have the best audio in pinball with 2 steps from hell and David Theil working together.
I would buy a LoTR VE in a heart beat if the entire firmware including audio wasn't compressed into a 5mb file. It really is the perfect theme for setting up epic sound effects and soundtrack

Quoted from Aurich:

but I did find the information on the game pretty overwhelming.

I think WoZ and TH are both overwhelming, and I think they are intended to be that way. Because of the hurry ups there is always a shot to make. The information is crazy to absorb. After a while you understand whats going on. But I really don't think they expect a new played to understand whats going on becuase you don't know what everything is called.
Even as a new player i think i would rather have all the information there then none. I was playing my MET the other day and wondering how many more hit to certain items i needed for crank it up...have to pause the game....cycle though....opps, i clicked the button too fast, lets go around the bend again!

Quoted from Aurich:

or have someone who knows the rules explain it to me,

Well thats the beauty of the big screen. When someone explains it to you. Its right there. on the screen.

Quoted from Aurich:

I feel like maybe there was a video that pointed out what the different screens were all for, does anyone else remember that?

Quoted from Aurich:

But I wasn't always clear on what the screen was really telling me. It seemed like it was constantly saying hurry up ready on each one, with bouncing text that made it seem important. But I'm not following what I'm tracking there, does anyone know the rules for it? Like, when are they ready or not ready? It seems like those pop ups come up constantly as you play, and I'm not really clear what I'm trying to strive for there and track in that part of the screen. Is there some end goal? Am I supposed to be aiming for or avoiding the inlanes for them strategically?

Right now in the software I think you just need to hit them all (once?) to start beast frenzy, which is a 2 ball multiball. if the lane is lit and you roll over it it will pop the beast up. If the land is not lite and you roll over the lane it will then light it for next time. I am guessing the amount of times you need to roll over it can be adjusted in the settings as yes, it does seem a bit crazy that they always seem to be popping up but maybe thats what they are aiming for? We will have to see in the actual firmware proper firmware version

Quoted from Aurich:

or is there some overarching goal?

There doesn't seem to be one, not in the rule flow cart anyway. But I am guessing that Keith might make it that for final wizard mode you have to kill each beast X amount of times. Right now it seems that Beast frenzy is just used as a stackabel mode since you cannot stack others.

Quoted from Aurich:

Again, I'm sure with time it will become more clear what it all means. It's just hard to know what I'm looking at it for. It does show how many empty things you've filled in, and I know sometimes they're bigger and animated, and I think that's what mode is currently running right?

I haven't played the game, but im pretty sure all the 28 or so mode are the honeycomb area. If you qualify for the mode it appears on the screen. I am guesisng it flashes when you are in the mode or that mode is selected for when you shoot the mode start hole.
It will turn a certain colour then you have COMPLETED the mode. and stay the same if you have not completed it?

Quoted from Aurich:

Basically I think I need some tips on how some of the game structure works, a couple games and watching some others for a bit just isn't enough to put it all together as a big picture package yet.

First version of the rules flowchart
http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Hobbit-Rules-Flowchart.pdf

Its not meant to be easy though because people still don't understand how LoTR and TSPP work! I think that's just how Keith likes it

Quoted from Aurich:

The narrative jumps all over the timeline, at one point you're in Bilbo's apartment, and he's looking at the contract, and then suddenly he's running from Smaug, because you started multiball.

With Smaug's head on the PF you had to have him in the main multiball. I think it would possibly be the most boring game ever if you had to go everything in order...it means that you would be playing almost the entirely same way each time. LotR is the same in a way. You can start return of the king multiball first even though is the 3rd movie. All 7 ( i think its 7) mode can me changes wth a button flip and played in any order. The end goal is Valinor, which is where the movie ends. And the Mini wizard is destroying the ring which you cannot do unless you have played all 3 movie multiballs.

Quoted from Aurich:

It's interesting how different it feels from LOTR, and that was actually a comment several different people told me. I guess it's inevitable the two will be compared though. Same general theme, same programmer, and two very different visions.

I think this is a good thing!

Quoted from Aurich:

(And if you can't decide, just buy Alien!! )

I'd love to buy an Alien but the guy that did the artwork....so annoying

I believe the overall structure of the game (and I might be wrong)
Is that you need to do those 5 things (the quadrants) above to qualify for 1 of the movie multiballs. Those are the 3 inserts you can see in the middle which where the 'best' scenes from each movies.
I believe that after you have completed or maybe attempted these you will qualify for the mini wizard mode. I am guessing this will be killing smaug because it just makes since. Make a certain amount of shots to fire up the arrow from the winlance, and then make your shot. if its half as good as killing the witch then I will be happy.
The final wizard keith likes to make almost impossible or as he likes to say 'when you have the game of a life time', Which I guess will be something similar to valinor where you basically just have a crazy multiball where you jack up your score to unbeatable levels

The great thing about Keiths pins is that I will keep them in hope that I will one day get there. I have been pretty close on Woz and LOTR. The pity is that a lot of people will sell the pin not even beating the mini wizard mode!

#745 2 years ago

If I walk up to a game I've never played and understand that game within the first 10 plays or so, I'm passing on buying it.
Games played in an environment where you cannot hear the game also adds to not being able to understand what's going on. Looking forward to playing this in a home environment where playing dozens of games will reveal its true gameplay.

#746 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

If I walk up to a game I've never played and understand that game within the first 10 plays or so, I'm passing on buying it.

If you can't understand a game within 10 plays then it's a failed game IMHO. Doesn't mean there can't be more to discover, but if you don't understand the game after that kind of time then it was designed badly.

I don't think Hobbit a failed game or impossible to understand in 10 plays just to be clear.

#747 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you can't understand a game within 10 plays then it's a failed game IMHO. Doesn't mean there can't be more to discover, but if you don't understand the game after that kind of time then it was designed badly.
I don't think Hobbit a failed game or impossible to understand in 10 plays just to be clear.

I disagree. I love that part of the discovery the first times I play a game. I like when games almost seem random at first, because I want to dig into it. What caused X, how do I do Y, all of it. I really like when I get the first hook into a game. If it is a multiball or a mode, it starts to lead me to more. I'm totally fine with that taking more than 10 games because I learn how the game feels to me. Is just blindly shooting it at first satisfying or not? All games are equal the first time you play them.

And I tend not to cheat. I usually don't like to read how to do things before playing the game. I want to discover it over some amount of games.

#748 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Then TZ is a failed game, because even though a few people have tried to explain it to me and I've played it numerous times, I still don't get it.

I'm being sarcastic, of course, because TZ is considered one of the all-time greats, and many people understand it. For some reason, it just doesn't connect the wires in my brain to where I know instinctively what to do.

WOZ is that kind of game as well. You can explain it to people all day long, but if they don't get it, they don't get it. I'm not sure that's the sign of a failed game.

I own AC/DC. Love the game, and still don't understand what the hell I'm doing (and I refuse to read 40 pages of Bowen's explanation!).

#749 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I still don't get it

most of mine are fails as well

#750 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Then TZ is a failed game,

TZ was considered a failure by many operators, because it did not earn much. Was talking with a Coin op, told him how great it was... to no avail.

I tend to agree with Aurich on that one.
To me a great pin must be satisfying both for the casual player (after a few games you start to understand things; achieve objectives) and the hardcore gamer / owner (behind this apparent simplicity lies a whole continent to explore - meaning you will change your strategies, enjoy unexpected modes and combos, reach a very hard Wizard mode...).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,500.00
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 21.00
$ 11.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 59.99
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.50
$ 50.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside