Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 397 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by freezie
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AB_Provincial_Rankings_(resized).png
    VanFlipOut-pinball-expo--2016-logo_(resized).png
    DSC_0073_(resized).jpg
    DSC_0067_(resized).JPG
    DSC_0033_(resized).JPG
    DSC_0050_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    DSC_0022_(resized).JPG
    DSC_0020_(resized).JPG
    DSC_0021_(resized).JPG
    DSC_0018_(resized).JPG
    There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 7 years ago

Awesome job..had a great time. Thanks for all your hard work!

#352 7 years ago

I had a fantastic time at the show. The competitions were really fun, and it was nice to see where I stand after multiple chances at qualifying. It was fun watching everyone slowly inch up and occasionally get those awesome scores...really made the whole thing a lot of fun, being able to talk to people about rules and little tips and tricks to play some of the games (and hear everyone complain about which machines they were really struggling with lol). Tons of really great machines there, lots of variety, and it was awesome to finally be able to play Full Throttle, Big Lebowski, Hobbit and Ghostbusters.

Thanks to all the volunteers, supporters and everyone for coming out, really looking forward to next years show!

#353 7 years ago

Well YEGPIN closed shop today, what an amazing group of volunteers we have. We were able to tear down the entire event today and will be loading out machines and will be out of the facility tomorrow.

Each donors machines were handled with extreme care by our crew.

For those who were able to come to the event thanks for attending and thanks all of the positive comments and constructive feedback on how we can make the event even better.

We strived to make the best experience possible and tried to put our own stamp on the event, hope you enjoyed the tournaments, free play room and the exclusive VIP party.

Huge shoutout to all of the donors out there who contributed games for us, we had an awesome lineup and we did our best to showcase your machines for all to see.

Congrats to all of those who won some hardware and we hope to back next year.

Thanks again for attending the event and putting Edmonton on the pinball map, after 95 hours of preparation from Tuesday to Sunday our group now signs off.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#354 7 years ago

What a great show for the first year. Thanks to everyone who donated their time and machines and to all the people who came from out of town.

When do get a chance to play the Big Lebowski and other pins in the free play area.

#355 7 years ago

Just an incredible, incredible event. I had an absolute blast, a huge shout-out to all the volunteers, organizers, techs, and donors who made this event possible. You knocked it out of the park, well done.

#356 7 years ago

Well worth the 10 hr drive (each way)

#357 7 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Well YEGPIN closed shop today, what an amazing group of volunteers we have. We were able to tear down the entire event today and will be loading out machines and will be out of the facility tomorrow.
    Each donors machines were handled with extreme care by our crew.
    For those who were able to come to the event thanks for attending and thanks all of the positive comments and constructive feedback on how we can make the event even better.
    We strived to make the best experience possible and tried to put our own stamp on the event, hope you enjoyed the tournaments, free play room and the exclusive VIP party.
    Huge shoutout to all of the donors out there who contributed games for us, we had an awesome lineup and we did our best to showcase your machines for all to see.
    Congrats to all of those who won some hardware and we hope to back next year.
    Thanks again for attending the event and putting Edmonton on the pinball map, after 95 hours of preparation from Tuesday to Sunday our group now signs off.

I'm so impressed how fast and properly we broke that amount of machines down for transport! Great effort by the whole crew for sure. Very efficient, and learned a few things that can speed up and improve for next year.

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

I'm so impressed how fast and properly we broke that amount of machines down for transport! Great effort by the whole crew for sure. Very efficient, and learned a few things that can speed up and improve for next year.

Thanks for donating CV to the show, what beautiful game. It won an award. Your south park and flintstones were a big hit with the kids!!

I hauled the Hobbit out of the tournament hall. What a beast, it must weigh over 400lbs. I pump a lot of iron and I had hard time lifting it into the truck bed heading back to Sask. Thanks for the couple who donated it.!!

#359 7 years ago

Great first event guys! Was everything it should have been. Excited to see you guys grow it in the future.

See you guys here in September.

#360 7 years ago

Just got home and will dream of more pinball.... Great event great people.... Thanks to all who made it happen!!!

#361 7 years ago

I hope there is plans for YEGPIN 2017. Had a ton of fun, played a ton of games I will likely never play again, and had my first taste of tournament play. Thanks to all the folk that organized, volunteered and donated!

#362 7 years ago

Had a lot of fun it was a great event.

I loved having 2 separate rooms for tournament, food and sales and another for all the games. Obviously it had to happen based on the venue, but it was awesome having it setup that way. I think it could have been advertised there was another room in the back, perhaps a map on the table when you come in or called "Vendor/Tournament Area"? as I talked to a few people who were surprised it even existed.

Was super happy Nitro brought Ghostbusters, Big Lebowski and Full Throttle. I was actually blown away how amazing Full Throttle was. For a modular game it was epic. I thought it was a really well designed game even though i'm not crazy about the theme. It was a lot of fun and played so fast and smooth.

Tournament was fun. Good to see I'm not the worst like I expected to be hah.

Nothing to really change, it was wicked. Looking forward to 2017. I encouraged a few people to go next year already.

P.S. Thanks Puck for your infinite bumper robocop, made my score decent. Let me know if I cooked your coil and i'll give you a new one

#363 7 years ago

Great event all around. The volunteers and organizer deserve a big shout out and applause. Seeing them stay in 1 place or run around all day for one day is tough. But for entire week is definitely up there. Big thanks.

Super glad to have a weekend pass. Hard to absorb all the great games in a few hours. Each time I left. I had that itch to come back and play more.

I got a lot of game time on the EMs. I can see the appeal in those games.

CV was definitely a cool game to see and play.

The nitro gang always brings a top notch experience.

Can't wait for a yegpin 2017

#364 7 years ago

Great show guys,Derrick two thumbs up dude.
    Congrats to Doug Teale for winning it all.
    Nitro,thanks for bringing lots of stuff to buy,and the great new games to play.

#365 7 years ago

Just wanted to added my congratulations and thanks for an outstanding event!

Came up Friday pm and left after Doug won the tournament on Sunday.

I have to say that you guys did an incredible job organizing this thing. I half expected to find people still setting up games when it opened Friday night but everything was setup and ready to play from the moment the show opened.

The merchandise was terrific, right down to the amazing neck strap design for the VIP passes. You guys went above and beyond.

The volunteers were fantastic, always with a smile on their face and happy to help, and they seemed to know what they were doing too, which shows the preparation effort that went in to train people for monitoring the tournaments, or whatever, in advance.

The venue setup was good, lots of room, handy having the bar and ability to enjoy some beverages while playing the games.

Most importantly, the game selection and condition of most of the games was really, really good. I was thrilled to be able to play the newest games and so many classics. It was pinball nirvana! So many thanks to those of you who donated games for this, I've done so in the past myself and I know how much work it can be to prep them, and then clean them up again afterwards. Really appreciated!

So thanks to all for the incredible effort, you really pulled it off and everyone I talked to was having a blast.

I know you probably feel like a brand new mother being asked if she'd like to have more children right now, but I really hope you you can recharge and make this an annual affair!

#366 7 years ago

Oh..., and this was the most pizza I ever saw in one place before (from the VIP party)!

IMG_8854_(resized).JPGIMG_8854_(resized).JPG

#367 7 years ago

That's a lot of Pizza.

#368 7 years ago

The most amazing group of volunteers on the planet.
    Out in one day. Simply, wow!

#369 7 years ago

Flew out to Edmonton from Vancouver last Friday morning with my son to attend the show and stayed right to the end. Thought I’d post a bit of a review for those that couldn’t make it….

As others have said, this was a very well run event, with a great crew of volunteers. On top of the great group of people that were running things, the setup was very good. The tournament and vendors were in an adjoining room, separate from the main show floor. The tourney/vendor room included a bar where you could purchase drinks (including alcohol) and some food items, free popcorn, and tons of tables and chairs if you wanted a spot to take a break.

Those who registered early got VIP packages that included an adults-only VIP party after the doors closed to the public Saturday. Party ran midnight to two a.m., and include the above referenced boatload of free pizza.

I stayed in a room in the newly renovated tower section and it was very nice for ~$85/night Cdn. ; the show special in the older section was ~$70. Lots of free parking. For food, the hotel had a BBQ restaurant, a Subway , and a bar/lounge. There is also a liquor store on site.

There were a good number of sponsors, but as a first year event there were only a couple of vendors. The good news was one of the vendors was Nitro Amusements. Tommy and Don had a good selection of items and brought GB and TBL (complete with rug) for people to play all weekend. Heard lots of appreciative comments about the chance to play those titles side-by-side.

Amazingly for any tournament things pretty much stayed on schedule and even finished a few minutes EARLY! You have to be impressed when a first year event steps up with a full camera rig, projector & screen setup, does some streaming, plus stays on time. Main pinhead Derek has experienced PAPA/Pinburgh and is really striving for “best practices”. Even when things didn’t go quite as planned, everyone stayed professional in dealing with it.

Bottom line: highly recommend attending, and I plan to return for YEGPIN 2017.

Here are a few quick photos to show the range of games available for play on the show floor. I’ll post a few of the tournament winners separately.

DSC_0017_(resized).JPGDSC_0017_(resized).JPG

DSC_0014_(resized).JPGDSC_0014_(resized).JPG

DSC_0018_(resized).JPGDSC_0018_(resized).JPG

DSC_0021_(resized).JPGDSC_0021_(resized).JPG

DSC_0020_(resized).JPGDSC_0020_(resized).JPG

DSC_0022_(resized).JPGDSC_0022_(resized).JPG

#370 7 years ago

#371 7 years ago

A few pictures from the tourney. Our Vancouver group had a good outing, but Doug Teal from Calgary was full value for the win in the main event. Main YEGPIN guy Derek was impressive in running a great show and managing a solid result too!
    Awards tableAwards table
    Derek battling on ParagonDerek battling on Paragon
    WCPC finalists: Shawn Haley 2nd, Jody Reilhan 3rd, Doug Teale 1st, Derek Thomson 4thWCPC finalists: Shawn Haley 2nd, Jody Reilhan 3rd, Doug Teale 1st, Derek Thomson 4th

YVR Crew: Classics: 1st (Jody),2nd(Eden Stamm),3rd(Dave Grant) ; WCPC 2nd(Shawn), 3rd(Jody) ; B Div. 2nd (Miles Grant)YVR Crew: Classics: 1st (Jody),2nd(Eden Stamm),3rd(Dave Grant) ; WCPC 2nd(Shawn), 3rd(Jody) ; B Div. 2nd (Miles Grant)

We have some really strong youth players in the Vancouver area. Was proud of my son representing them with a solid 15th in Classics, 20th in WCPC, and 2nd in the B Div.

#372 7 years ago

Wow ..... I haven't really had the time to check all the pinside threads lately but I have to say this was a great read to hear all the good comments about Yegpin I'm glad most or all enjoyed.
    I also feel it went very well ...there were a few small hiccups but but it will help us improve for next time.
    The volunteers were awesome awesome awesome !!!!!!
    It was nice to meet a lot of you and very special thanks to all the donors as well as all the out of towners that made it down.
    Thank you all

#373 7 years ago

A hectic week of volunteering but a very enjoyable one. I had a great time and talked to a lot of people who were very impressed. My wife enjoyed herself working the tournament. I was impressed with how set up went. By four o'clock Friday everything was ready to go. Even more impressive was tear down. We had all machines wrapped and folded before eight o'clock with lots of help. Thanks to everyone who made this such a great event and made Derek's dream come true. Amazing job by Gilles who transported a massive amount of pins in and out.

#374 7 years ago

I like to thank the YEGPIN excutive for making this happen. I have organized events in the past and know how much work it is and you guys nailed it with everything you done. I am sure it was long days for you all before and during the event. Also all the volunteers need a pat on the back for keeping things rolling as they also did a wonderful job and I will be there for the next.

Also like to thank all those that came out to the event. You have to give yourselves credit as well - there would be no event without people to come out and play the games.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Was there for Friday night and Saturday morning, had a blast. Thanks to everyone who brought machines up, there were a lot of games I had never been able to play before. Spent hours just walking around, playing games on anything that was open. My favorite of the main room games was the super nice Getaway that someone brought, next to a super nice F-14. Looked and played great, made me want to get one some day. Whosever that was, let me know if you want to sell it.

Thank you for the kind comments on my machines. I am willing to part with the F14 though, message me if interested (I am considering throwing it up an ad on Kijij in the next few days/weeks). Did have an offer on the Getaway Sunday afternoon for $4k, but can't sell that one or the wife will string me up. Too bad my Hollywood broke late Saturday.

So I am looking for a Chicago Coin bonus unit if anyone has a spare they are willing to part with (or parts there of - the metal arm that advances the stepper broke on it). Also apparently, I am also in need of system 1 display as well (can't rejuvenate it anymore).

Looking forward to the 2017 event.

#375 7 years ago

Great show guys. Thanks to the volunteers, great job on keeping everything running smooth as possible. Just need some more A/C next year, that basement got hot........

#376 7 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

Great show guys. Thanks to the volunteers, great job on keeping everything running smooth as possible. Just need some more A/C next year, that basement got hot........

think of it as a tropical vacation...instead of sand, pinball!

#377 7 years ago

Any cool stats you can share about the show? Final game count, how many attendees, or how much juice it took to power all those games, number of tournament qualifier games played? Anything else worth mentioning?

#378 7 years ago

465 Admission Tickets sold, over 500 people attended including, media, vendors, donors, volunteers...

518 individual WCPC Tickets were sold, 84 individual classics tickets and 60 Tournament Ticket Packages were sold, translates into just over 1200 tournament games were played.

$5500 in cash and prizes were given out at the event to winners of the tournaments.

There were just over 100 games at an average of 2 AMPs per machine power required to run the event was 200AMP's at any one time which is why we paid to bring in more power supplies for the event.

The tournament director and his executive worked over 500 hours to setup and tear down the event during the week, with many more man hours for the rest of the 25+ volunteer committee.

Over 50+ pickups and drop-offs to collectors houses.

40+ pizzas consumed at the VIP party...

90% of the machines were up and running all weekend, and many were repaired on the spot by our talented technicians.

Overall, the event was a big success and made a small profit, however, we need more volunteers and need a commitment strong commitment from the donor community to keep having these on a yearly basis.

Kudos to all of the people that came out in droves to support the event hopefully we can improve the experience with lessons learned and put on a better show in 2017 and have some damn AC...

#379 7 years ago

Awesome, Thank you! Nice to see it all put into perspective. I really appreciate the commitment from all the event staff, volunteers, game donors, vendors, and sponsors that made it happen. Things seemed to run really smoothly from my experience as a VIP attendee for the course of the weekend. I would notice occasionally games were acting up, or turned off waiting for repairs but usually by the next time I walked around the floor, they'd be up and running again! All the ladies and gents I encountered at the registration tables at the front doors, registration and ticket sales for the WCPC/Classics tournament, and score keeping, bar, etc were terrific! I had a great weekend hanging with my Calgary Stampede City Pinball League mates, and meeting lots of the Die Hard folks from Edmonton too.

#380 7 years ago

Yep, I think we did well for first time around.....a few little tweaks and this thing will be full blown amazing. Already lots of ideas bouncing around while tearing down to make it more efficient next time around. Nice to be around a crew that has that warped sense of humor too.

#381 7 years ago

Sad I missed out. Wanted to see the inaugural and also meet some Westerners I have had the pleasure to speak to, never meet yet.

Always next year I guess.

#382 7 years ago
    Quoted from smiley:

Amazing job by Gilles who transported a massive amount of pins in and out.

A special thank you from myself as well. Gilles was nice enough to take a game home for me, as it would not fit in my car. Guess next time I should bring the truck, now I have to make the drive again! lol

#383 7 years ago

Longjohns I played that getaway as much as I could ( never hogging it ) what a beaut ! I was so dissapointed the best I could get was only 138M and that was Sunday morning right before I left for home ! ( just one more game ) I felt like an addict , that was probably the pin that put it all on the map for me in the early 90's ! Thanks so much for bringing it !

#384 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

A special thank you from myself as well. Gilles was nice enough to take a game home for me, as it would not fit in my car. Guess next time I should bring the truck, now I have to make the drive again! lol

Damn I drove to Calgary today, Id have hauled it for you

#385 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I was at Gilles today also,had Two games in the truck already,or I would have brought it home for you.

#386 7 years ago

No problem .....usually my rule is I store I play but my shop is full of pins for repair and restore and running out of room to play .....its safe and sound till you pick up

Quoted from Spencer:

#387 7 years ago

Who is up for a road trip?

http://vancouverflipout.com

VanFlipOut-pinball-expo--2016-logo_(resized).pngVanFlipOut-pinball-expo--2016-logo_(resized).png

#388 7 years ago

For those that are interested the IFPA points are up for the event...

http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=13323
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=13324

If your profile is blank or needs to be changed I would suggest that you update it at:

http://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/user-profile/

#389 7 years ago

Derek mentioned this to me yesterday at league, but the points value for those tournaments brought me up from about 10k in my IFPA ranking to about 5k, which is pretty awesome.

I also think being able to replay machines until you got a good score (for you, not overall) makes those rankings a lot more reliable as well when judging where you sit in the rankings. League is a blast, but everyone has bad games/nights. A couple months ago I was damn the bottom of the league one night, and last night I broke the top 10, which I feel balances out to put me in the middle of the pack, where I think I actually sit. With the extra players from out of town, I think I finished off pretty well where I should be.

#390 7 years ago

Case in point if AB Provincials ended today here would be the standings...

AB_Provincial_Rankings_(resized).pngAB_Provincial_Rankings_(resized).png

#391 7 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Damn I drove to Calgary today, Id have hauled it for you

Shit! that would have been great.

1 week later
    #392 7 years ago

Here's our YEGPIN Video! Nothing too crazy or fancy, a quick walk around the floor a couple times, a few games on Big Lebowski with the overhead gopro camera. Hope to make a way longer and more kick ass video next year when we'll have some better equipment and i wont be solo! Cheers!

#393 7 years ago

Thanks for the video walk around, it was nice to see all those machines again.

1 month later
    #394 7 years ago

here's my short vid of all the photos I took at Yegpin. Enjoy!

#395 7 years ago

Thank you for sharing Videos and Pictures.
    Cant wait till next year!!

9 months later
    #396 6 years ago
    #397 6 years ago

Won't make it this year (back issues) , hopefully next year , last year was awesome !

There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-edmonton-pinball-and-arcade-expo-yegpin-official-thread/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.