(Topic ID: 144000)

2016 Arcade Expo/INDISC Official Thread

By Tbgolfen

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0169 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0171 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0160 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0166 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0165 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0154 (resized).JPG
    expo_(resized).jpg
    Eight_Ball_Deluxes_(resized).jpg
    C-A-Robinson_(resized).png
    P1000830_(resized).JPG
    943820_1062271253823365_626469948540011103_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7494_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7484_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7479_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7478_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nimblepin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks Tbgolfen!
    I was going to start an official thread tonight after work but alas, you beat me to the punch!
    Last week's turnout was pretty decent for such short notice and (fingers crossed) I imagine this week's turnout will be even better. Big thanks to the folks that have volunteered previously and of course, big thanks to all the future folks that can volunteer to help give Arcade Expo that much needed boost/polish to become the "undisputed-global-reigning-champ" of pinball AND arcade goodness.
    If any SoCal residents inside or beyond the Orange County curtain need a ride to Banning on Sundays to help, I'd be happy to drive them out and back.

For those curious Pinsiders that might want to know more but don't know Pinside also has an events page, I put the rest of the Arcade Expo 2.0 info there as well.
    (I'll also add the INDISC info to the page tonight after work.)

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/arcade-expo-20-2016

Thanks guys!

#6 8 years ago

The Svendow knows...
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, I was just coming in here to ask if there is an "event hotel" (so to speak, I see the event is not at a hotel) that offers a discount rate?

John is working on a couple of options. Hopefully I'll know more next week and update the events page as well as this thread when stuff gets buttoned up.
    It's totally worth the trip Pinside just to see this place in person.
    RotorDave and the Kiwi crew had a great time when they stopped by to visit, and if NZ guys can make it, there should be no excuses for others within the U.S. to skip this awesome show.

Thanks again to all the volunteers that came out this week!

#25 8 years ago

Pre-Weekend Volunteer bump!
    If you'd like to help shop games this weekend between 10-7 Saturday and Sunday, AE would love to have you!

55 days 12 hours and 29 minutes to go for Arcade Expo 2016!!!

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This thread needs more pics!

The only "pic" you/we need...
    http://www.pinsane.com/pinorama/events/ARCEX_15/
    Also,
    HUGE thanks to Steve Tsubota for taking it in the first place! Still amazes me to this day!!!

1 week later
    #39 8 years ago

For TigerLaw and others...
    Looks like the Holiday Inn Express is the "official" lodging for Arcade Expo (on 3020 West Ramsey St) but, John mentioned that some various hotels in Banning will also give special rates if you mention "Arcade Expo", while booking.
    He has it added on the Arcade Expo page under "Travel & Lodging."

http://www.arcadeexpo.com/travel-lodging/

47 days 23 hours to go!

3 weeks later
    #66 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I think we're still waiting on a headcount of working EM's.

What happens if I get you a Nico-super-Hoov-approved "headcount" and it's only say...70-95 out of 170+ EM's that are working 100%?
    Too few to bother with?
    If I sign you in as a guest one of the three days, will you still hem and haw again about how people (read: "volunteers") aren't putting in the proper Clay-approved 30+ hours on each game?
    You do know if you help before/during the show you get in for free, right?

No offense Nico, but I think you're missing out on what AE is all about.

All I can say to answer your original question is that it's definitely already better than last year's event!
    (as far as working games are concerned.)
    But to tell you how to spend your hard-earned $700 on a pin-travel experience again well, that's completely up to you.

Big thanks to the underappreciated volunteers who continue to help!

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I made trips for PPE to play the rare em's and woodrails

One of my favorite shows that hopefully we'll soon see again. The woodrail area alone was worth the drive.
    Sadly AE doesn't have much in the way of woodies but, O-Din isn't too far from my house if you need that specific EM fix.
    (Just remember to bring some nickels and dimes... )

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hang on a minute friend... rest assured my goal is not to hold anyone's feet to the fire.

You sure? Seems like my feet are nice and toasty...
    Oh wait, I forgot I was wearing wool socks today.

Look, I know you mean well Nico and I'm with you on wanting the EM section of AE to shine as bright as a #44 can possibly get but, unfortunately we are just a handful (yes, handful) of people who are taking what little time we can spare from our families to help make AE that much better than the previous year.
    Plus,
    It's not like the EM's are going completely unloved this time around.
    There are way more EM's up and running compared to last year's show, period...
    Of course it would be nice to have the fit, playability and finish of a completely restored game but alas, it is what it is.
    Right now the goal of the AE volunteer crew is to make the most popular games playable first, rarer titles second, and the rest as soon as we complete the first two.
    Notice I didn't mention any specific era of games?
    Sure the DMD's and SS games are indeed more popular with the masses but, that doesn't mean the EM's are taking a backseat in the daily workload.

To extend the EM olive branch even further to those people on the "fence" of visiting this next year, let me know what machines you'd like to play and I'll see what I can do.
    If it's a title already working, great! If not, we'll give it the ol' college try.

Use this 360 panorama to zoom in on a specific title and or, just ask if AE has it...

http://www.pinsane.com/pinorama/events/ARCEX_15/

Thanks!

#77 8 years ago

Highly skilled LIONMAN you say???
    You're hired!

Thanks for the desire to help Buzz; it is most appreciated.
    You and anyone else who wants to help out, can email Kenny at [email protected] to get set up to volunteer.

Heck, even play-testing games can be extremely helpful "IF" you can document what the game is doing right and what it's doing wrong. Just playing the game and shutting it off is not...that...much...help...unfortunately.

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hmmmm... might be better to PM these questions. Nimble... *INCOMING*

Got it Nico!
    Thanks for the generous offering of your time.

PM responded to and gears will be set in motion tomorrow on your behalf.

I'll also check inventory tomorrow on the more common EM odds and ends + tools, just in case Clay wants to join in on the fun too!
    ( since he seems so enthused with this thread. lol )

2 weeks later
    #167 8 years ago

Big thanks to ALL the volunteers (Pinsider or other) that have put in their time and $$$, to make this event even better than last year!
    Hopefully you guys visiting this weekend will feel the same.
    Fingers crossed, Arcade Expo/Museum of Pinball will be able to do this show (and other events) for a long time to come. Because let's face it, every year that goes by, game maintenance on this type of scale can only get better and better!!!
    For example,
    My newfound pin-brother-from-another-mother Dan "The MAN" Keller, is single-handedly responsible for saving the classic Bally/Stern rows and a majority of the Data East boards from battery damage and even managed to knock out a "few" repairs too in the process...
    Also good to see NicoVolta, Richard, and other EM-Faithful here putting in the time to make John's EM's play waaay better than they did just one short year ago.

I still can't believe it's only a single day away.
    Let's crack this 2016 pin-keg wiiiide open!

I'll be wearing the plaid as usual so, don't be afraid to come up and say "hi!"

#170 8 years ago

Kinda eerie how he knew the tech shirts were red too!
    Only thing missing is some swish Adidas!

On that note,
    Last night I gave Dan an orange beanie and swore he looked like Parappa the Rapper from the end of the row!
    Don't believe me?
    Proof!

Kick punch block I got the funky flow...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg
    Secret confession:
    I had two left so we could be AE twinnies!

#182 8 years ago

Accurate slim-down version:

Quoted from NicoVolta:

*whew* Was hoping to keep up the momentum "The Unexpected Lamentations"... No problem, right? Which doubled the expected repair time. Out comes the schematic. Ah, but what is this new source of smoke? But a new problem has arisen: But the day is over and I've only returned one game to service... mostly. At what point does a person back out? I kept thinking, geez, this is taking too long... but I can't quit now...

NP's condensed version:

Welcome to Thunderdome!!!
    image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg
    "Giddy up Kenny, before the Home Depot closes!"

#205 8 years ago

I'm tired...

Thanks for the kind words guys and I know a lot of games still need some refinement sooo, if you have a game that has issues please write it on the clipboard next to the service door (by the start of the wedgeheads) so we don't get lost in the queue.

Also, if somebody has an old Bally rectifier board that works "kinda", and would like to donate it, there's a toasty Lost World that would greatly appreciate it.

Man, that Mac and cheese bacon rooster sauce dog was delicious! Burgers and Tetris Tots were not too shabby either. So far the food has been pretty damn tasty this year.

Commence snoring!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nimblepin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-arcade-expoindisc-official-thread?tu=nimblepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.