(Topic ID: 144000)

2016 Arcade Expo/INDISC Official Thread

By Tbgolfen

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0169 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0171 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0160 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0166 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0165 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0154 (resized).JPG
    expo_(resized).jpg
    Eight_Ball_Deluxes_(resized).jpg
    C-A-Robinson_(resized).png
    P1000830_(resized).JPG
    943820_1062271253823365_626469948540011103_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7494_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7484_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7479_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7478_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 8 years ago

I'm going to try and get out there on Sunday to work on games. If anyone in SoCal has an interest in helping out you should post in this thread, and we'll make sure you get all the useful info.

#5 8 years ago

If you bring a rubber chicken NimblePin will sign it!

#8 8 years ago

Bump for the weekend, anyone going out to Banning to tune machines?

#18 8 years ago

It's totally worth going to. This thread needs more pics! You can see a writeup I did about the show last year with a lot of photos here:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/01/a-virtual-day-with-750-pinball-and-arcade-games-no-quarters-needed/

20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg

1 month later
    #62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I'm strictly an EM guy and all I've seen in this post are SS. Would I be dissapointed if I went and wanted to play just EM games?

Last I heard the EM games were doing pretty well, but I honestly don't know, we didn't look at them while we were out there, our skill sets are much more solid state oriented.

There are a ton of them though.

#67 8 years ago

I feel appreciated. I got the NimblePin star treatment! Well except for paying for my own dinner.

#69 8 years ago

We focused on the DMD games when we were there fixing things. I love seeing the other games more, but the DMD games get the bulk of the public play.

The EM games are awesome. Very few people play them comparatively.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I know we're like 3000 miles away, so it's unlikely you'll be in Michigan if you live in LA.

Someone should start a thread for a show close to people who live in LA!

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

speaking of which, why isn't there a pinball show in LA?
    I assume that the arcade expo is the closest thing to LA right? Nothing in San Diego either right? why has no one done that?

Because it's too expensive I imagine. Why isn't there a pinball show in Chicago?

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

There are two shows in Chicagoland.

What does Chicagoland mean? Expo sure isn't in Chicago.

Quoted from cfh:

Though not in chicago proper

Ah, yes. In the suburbs. Where it's cheaper.

Banning isn't the only answer. But Los Angeles "proper" is probably too expensive.

#107 8 years ago

Banning is a 1.5 hour drive for me. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit of a haul. It's far away enough that I can't just casually pop over to work on games for a couple hours, it's an all day commitment. Definitely won't stop me from going to Expo on Saturday, but I'm not going for multiple days, this time at least.

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Great! Looks like PavBall and I will be there as of now.

Sweet!

1 week later
    #124 8 years ago

We're planning on going out next Sunday for a last push before the show, be great to get a posse there to help with everything for one last time.

(A week from tomorrow to be clear.)

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

If anybody local can help out the last weekend before the show with the data east games it would be much appreciated I'm sure.

I'm rolling out with Kyle next Sunday, and he's a DE pro, we can take a look.

#132 8 years ago

Who wants to come out to Banning this Sunday for a last push to fix up games? Everyone who can do even basic pin stuff can help. I'll be there for sure, come on out!

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Less than a week away! This week is the big push to get ready.

Nimbles and Kyle and I will be there tomorrow, come out and party and fix games!

#150 8 years ago

Right on man, see you tomorrow, it's been a while.

#152 8 years ago
    Quoted from gaspumprob:

If I see Kyle at the event I will have him point you out to me.

We're going together, so I'll be near him probably.

#155 8 years ago

I'm heading out to pick up Kyle in 45 mins, then we'll swing by NimblePin's for leg two of the journey. One does not simply walk into Banning.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

How much of the ticket sales are the repair people getting?

None, but we of course don't pay entrance. None of us are doing it for money.

#191 8 years ago

I'll be there tomorrow, looking forward to seeing everyone!

#200 8 years ago

I'll be there around noon tomorrow. Friday crowd looks good!

#203 8 years ago

I'm hearing from the floor that the crowd today felt bigger than Saturday last year, and it's only Friday. So tomorrow is hopefully big.

That's great!

#228 8 years ago
    Quoted from huelagan:

Went yesterday for 1st time with my 3 boys. Had an awesome time. Wow there was a plethora of pinballs for sure. Reminded me how much I really need a Fireball (and a few others). Had a blast in the video arcade section as well. Love Defender...still suck at it. Tapper, Joust and many cool vector games...awesome. Met John Weeks, super nice guy, told him about our scenic route from S.D. through Idyllwild. Snowball fight before descent to Banning was epic. He hooked us up with a crazy good pork quesadilla thing. Will come back for sure next year! Hats off to all the great volunteers especially you guys getting and keeping all those games running.

Pupusas!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#229 8 years ago

At Tim's Getaway reveal party.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#246 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Man, that's next level. Good on "Kiwi Terry" too. Kiwis got skills
    rd

You should hear it in person too, he's got a PinSound in it, with custom callouts from a professional voice actor, Ferrari engine sounds, and lots of great humor. Everyone really enjoyed it at the party.

#247 8 years ago

So some quick thoughts on the show:

First off, the crowds were great, felt really well attended. Don't know the numbers, but I hope that John is happy with it. He should be! The modern DMD area was pretty full, but not in a bad way, and there were plenty of open games as you went deeper in if you didn't feel like waiting.

Huge thanks to all the techs. I brought my keys with me and helped out a couple people with some issues, but the red shirts were working non stop.

I heard nothing but positive comments. On more than one occasion people told me they thought the show was now better than CA Extreme. I hope everyone returns, and spreads the word, and this can build into a better and better show. I know they'd love to have a flea market, it would be cool to see more vendors. The energy felt great, the future looks bright.

Lots of people put more time into fixing games than I did, I was only out helping for a couple weekends, and I'm far from an ace tech. I make a good helper for people who know more than I do, and I don't want to take credit for more than that. But I have to say, seeing everyone enjoying the games, saying positive things about how well things were working, and just having a great time really made the time I spent out there feel worth it. So huge thanks to everyone else who helped. Special shout out to NimblePin and Cosmokramer.

Also a big thank you to Keith and Randy Elwin for sharing Archer with us. They both spent a lot of time getting the game ready enough to bring, talking to everyone about it, and hanging out to fix issues and walk people through what to shoot for. The game is rad even in its rough state, was really impressed, and enjoyed talking with you both about it.

I've got too much work to go out again today, but I hope everyone who's there is having a great time, and I'm going to check in with the tournament stream at some point to root for my friends.

Looking forward to next year!

#271 8 years ago

It's a drive. But compared to flying to shows, which I also do, it's pretty easy.

#280 8 years ago

It's so much work to throw that show, and I just can't see big crowds coming out repeatedly right now, so I don't think it's a big deal that it's once or twice a year. I think they can do 4 events a year right now if they want to.

#296 8 years ago

Damnit that staff photo is too washed out, you can't see where I wrote my name bigger and taller than anyone else!

#300 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hana9so:

They've sucked me in. Since I enjoy fixing pinball as much as i do playing, I'll probably help out keeping games running during the show for years to come!

John is bridging his fingers together and cackling right now, while saying "excellent ..." to himself.

#306 8 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Great job Arcade Expo team! So are your shirt colors like in Star Trek? What's Red vs. Blue vs. Orange?

Obviously every Arcade Expo we kill off a couple red shirts.

(Orange was general volunteer I think, red was tech, can't remember blue ones.)

#320 8 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

That link give me a Verizon Sitebuilder "All personal webpages have been deleted" message. Does it work for anyone else?

As of September 30, 2014,
    the Verizon Site Builder tool has been decommissioned
    and all online Personal Web Space pages have been deleted.

Nope.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-arcade-expoindisc-official-thread?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.