4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by girloveswaffles
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 91 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0161 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0169 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0171 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0160 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0166 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0165 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0154 (resized).JPG
    expo_(resized).jpg
    Eight_Ball_Deluxes_(resized).jpg
    C-A-Robinson_(resized).png
    P1000830_(resized).JPG
    943820_1062271253823365_626469948540011103_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7494_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7484_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7479_(resized).jpg
    IMG_7478_(resized).jpg

There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 4 years ago

Pins are scarce on location in LA partly because once Leah Bettelman passed away, C. A. Robinson was closed as her sons Sandy & Ira did not want to keep it running; It was losing money but Leah kept it open after her husband Al died as she considered the staff family-most were long-term employees at all levels. Their annual open house was the best in the industry; it was basically a mini trade show with many manufacturer reps attending from out of town.

C. A. Robinson was not only the largest distributor of pins out West, but was a large route operator in the L. A. area as well. The route was split up and sold.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Most people refer to the Los Angeles Metro area as "L A" like Pomona for Example. But, further East like Rancho Cucamonga or Ontario is the Inland Empire.

Some people think California is made up of three Cities: San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. What they don't realize is there is a whole lot more in between!

#103 4 years ago

It's Banning not the end of the world. People drive further to Cochella every year with no problem. It's like 65 miles from LA

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

It's Banning not the end of the world. People drive further to Cochella every year with no problem. It's like 65 miles from LA

From my experience, LAers don't like to drive from downtown to Anaheim, let alone out to Banning ...

rd

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

More like 95. I'm in Norwalk, (half way between Los Angeles and Anaheim) and it's a little over Eighty miles from me.

#106 4 years ago

I live almost next door to the museum and I just went to downtown Hollywood next to the Hollywood bowl on Franklin it was 80 miles for me. Just sayin everyone should come. I would love to meet everyone if possible .

#107 4 years ago

Banning is a 1.5 hour drive for me. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit of a haul. It's far away enough that I can't just casually pop over to work on games for a couple hours, it's an all day commitment. Definitely won't stop me from going to Expo on Saturday, but I'm not going for multiple days, this time at least.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

For TigerLaw and others...
    Looks like the Holiday Inn Express is the "official" lodging for Arcade Expo (on 3020 West Ramsey St) but, John mentioned that some various hotels in Banning will also give special rates if you mention "Arcade Expo", while booking.
    He has it added on the Arcade Expo page under "Travel & Lodging."

Great! Looks like PavBall and I will be there as of now.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Great! Looks like PavBall and I will be there as of now.

Sweet!

#110 4 years ago

Update: It's a cheap week for flights and hotels, so I'm considering flying in early and kicking some EM's into action. What the hell. Aiming for a Tuesday evening or early Wednesday arrival. I won't have anywhere near enough time to do the "full rebuild", but certainly enough to pop in new plungers, linkages, yokes, coil sleeves, rubbers, adjust switches, optimize things, etc. I'll focus upon the ones which need to be dialed in rather than trying to resurrect the totally dead ones... otherwise one machine might eat up all of my time.

Questions:
    What days/times can I get started?
    Are tools and replacement parts available onsite for the EM's?
    Is any sort of nearby lodging/special accommodations available?

Hmmmm... might be better to PM these questions. Nimble... *INCOMING*

#111 4 years ago

Last year at the Banning show there were no parts to speak of, and very limited tools. So before you commit to an early flight, make sure you have that support on hand. Just a heads up. This was something they meant to get handled last year for the show and ran out of time. Hopefully that issue has been fixed now.

#112 4 years ago

First round of games is on me as well as a tasty beverage. Looking forward to meeting some new friends.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

From my experience, LAers don't like to drive from downtown to Anaheim, let alone out to Banning ...
    rd

This couldnt be more true. I havent completely figured it out. People in LA generally dont like to drive to OC and vice-versa. San Diego is like a whole other state.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

This couldnt be more true. I havent completely figured it out. People in LA generally dont like to drive to OC and vice-versa. San Diego is like a whole other state.

Its certainly been my experience in LA the 14-15 times I've been there.

Yet I get a thumbs down? WTF!

rd

#115 4 years ago

I countered your down vote. Couldn't agree more with that statement

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hmmmm... might be better to PM these questions. Nimble... *INCOMING*

Got it Nico!
    Thanks for the generous offering of your time.

PM responded to and gears will be set in motion tomorrow on your behalf.

I'll also check inventory tomorrow on the more common EM odds and ends + tools, just in case Clay wants to join in on the fun too!
    ( since he seems so enthused with this thread. lol )

#117 4 years ago

I helped last year and it was fun. this year i won't be able to come. i thought last year, given the short time span, the show was pretty incredible. i would love to come and see what has changed, how things progressed. but it's not in the cards.

#118 4 years ago

Just bought 2 tickets for the expo. I used the groupon discount link for 1/2 price tickets. Here is the link in case anyone is interested...

http://groupon.com/bwf/808d1b58-2144-418d-b299-e96cdf1f6fe6?utm_campaign=OfferReferral&utm_source=bwf_email&utm_medium=bwf

#119 4 years ago

Cool. Reposted to my D/FW peeps.

Will be there on the 12th w/tools and determination game-face on. At the very least I plan to create a Google Docs repair inventory for you guys and get some EM's dialed in. Let's do this.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Cool. Reposted to my D/FW peeps.
    Will be there on the 12th w/tools and determination game-face on. At the very least I plan to create a Google Docs repair inventory for you guys and get some EM's dialed in. Let's do this.

Good effort man. Congrats!

rd

#121 4 years ago

The comments about driving distance from LA crack me up. Last year, I didn't have much time off, so I flew down from Seattle on Saturday morning, my dad drove from Temecula and picked me up from Ontario airport, then we drove about an hour to Banning.

My dad and I had a great time and stayed at the Expo for about 10 hours. Then we drove almost 2 hours back to Temecula. A day later, I flew back home.

And it was totally worth it! Hoping my wife and I can make it this year.

#122 4 years ago

Does anybody know why the museum is locked up today? Trying to get in to get some stuff done and no one is here...

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Is any sort of nearby lodging/special accommodations available?

I was not able to get a room at the Holiday Inn Express - sold out. I DID manage to get a room at the Rodeway Inn in Beaumont, which is about 10 minutes away from the AE. Anybody thinking of doing the hotel room action had better jump on it now.

#124 4 years ago

We're planning on going out next Sunday for a last push before the show, be great to get a posse there to help with everything for one last time.

(A week from tomorrow to be clear.)

#125 4 years ago

I'm staying at the Travelodge across the highway Tue-Sun. Still had rooms available at $75-ish a night w/breakfast last I checked.

#126 4 years ago

Good morning all!

Time for some INDISC updates!

Wanted to thank 'Captains Auction Warehouse' for being a very generous sponsor of INDISC again this year!

$500 auction gift certificate for Modern 'A' winner!
    $250 auction gift certificate for Classics 'A' winner!

Also big thanks to Marco Specialties and Pinball Life for also sponsoring INDISC this year.....they'll be bringing us some cool 'mystery' goodies!

Updated Bank lists:

Modern:
    DM
    Dr Who
    Twister
    Laser War
    Grand Lizard
    LOTR
    Godzilla

+5 more

Classics:
    Jacks Open
    Rock
    Hocus Pokus
    Flash Gordon

+3-4 more

Sign up sheet coming soon for all who want to help score keep and work the desk.

More trivia later today!

#127 4 years ago

Is anyone driving out from the Ohio area that might be able to bring a pin. I would help out with gas money. It's a long shot but I thought I would try

#128 4 years ago

just an update:
    There is still a lot of work to be done on these games, thanks to a handful of volunteers the stern and bally ss games from the 80's are almost all working well after several days of board work and repairs...the newer sterns are all ready to go...we have made a serious dent in the issues with the dmd games and have a lot more working this year than last year...I cant speak about the EM games that so many of you are looking forward to playing, perhaps someone else can chime in on the condition of the older games...next weekend the real push will be the data east games, which many have issues. If anybody local can help out the last weekend before the show with the data east games it would be much appreciated I'm sure.

although there are still more non working games than most of us would like to see, there are lots more games than last year and it should be a great time...looking forward to seeing you there

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

If anybody local can help out the last weekend before the show with the data east games it would be much appreciated I'm sure.

I'm rolling out with Kyle next Sunday, and he's a DE pro, we can take a look.

#131 4 years ago

image-31_(resized).jpg

#132 4 years ago

Who wants to come out to Banning this Sunday for a last push to fix up games? Everyone who can do even basic pin stuff can help. I'll be there for sure, come on out!

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Who wants to come out to Banning this Sunday for a last push to fix up games? Everyone who can do even basic pin stuff can help. I'll be there for sure, come on out!

Come out, Aurich is bringing a couple of cases of beer!!

Beer for all the helpers!

rd

#134 4 years ago

We're going out Saturday...

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

We're going out Saturday...

You'll miss out on Aurichs beer!

rd

#136 4 years ago

Tuesday night - Sunday morning... sadly too late to board the brew bus...

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Tuesday night - Sunday morning... sadly too late to board the brew bus...

I'm sure Nimble will keep some of Aurichs beer bounty for you!

rd

#138 4 years ago

Reaaaaaaally would like to know what's up with the camping action. A little more than a week away and still can't get info as to whether there's any RV camping or not.

#139 4 years ago

Aaron here.
    So here it is. I went thru this last year, I brought my RV, kept it on the grounds til closing time, drove it out the automatic gate, parked it on the street just outside the gate.
    And in the morning just drove back in.
    I've forgotten all the groundskeepers names, but they seemed unconcerned about us just staying inside.
    It was all new to them at the time, so they were sure about the rules either.
    Yes I am bringing RV again. They have a huge parking lot. There should'nt be a concern for space.
    As for tent camping, it will be in the low 40's maybe even 30's. And after this rain, serious mud.

#140 4 years ago

You're the man, Aaron.

#141 4 years ago

Can't believe this is getting so close. Not quite prepared for the lineup of indisc machines so far haha

#142 4 years ago

Just 1 week away.....crazy.

We're looking for more tournament volunteers! Sign up here: http://bit.ly/1JS33z5
    Volunteers receive $20 worth of entries for every two hour shift, plus our eternal gratitude!

Also, time for some more trivia....

Here's how it works:
    I will give clues either in text and/or pics. Guess correctly after the 1st clue and win 2 entries at INDISC! More than 1 clue = 1 entry. Only 1 winner per game, so answer quickly! (Also, 1 guess per person, per day!)
    Maximum 6 entries per person.

If you feel for any reason that you might be ineligible to play....you probably are....so don't! (Or, ask me 1st!)
    AND, OF COURSE, IF YOU'RE NOT PLANNING ON ATTENDING, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PLAYING. Thank you from me and everyone WHO IS planning on attending!

Want to play for fun, send me an email: pinwzrd@aol.com!

Some games are 'odd', some are not.

Ok....here we go........1st clue:

Now that I've been to the '4 Corners' I can check it off my bucket list!

Good Luck!

#143 4 years ago

After all of my kvetching, my RV plan fell through. So I ended up getting a room nearby via AirBNB. Got my tickets, pre-registered for INDISC... bring on the Expo!!!

#144 4 years ago

Clue #2 to yesterday's trivia.......

Bummer, I've got a 'tracker' on my tail!

Good Luck!

#145 4 years ago

Waterworld added to modern bank!

Also, a shout out to our newest sponsor.....Nifty LED!
    Nifty Gift Certificates for all division winners!

1 week away!

#146 4 years ago

Spent last night at PHOF. Tim says he might make it... not sure. He's hellaciously busy and ultra-no mood for jokes-hardcore these days. Honestly, I worry about what this hobby is doing to him. :/

#147 4 years ago

Less than a week away! This week is the big push to get ready.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Less than a week away! This week is the big push to get ready.

Nimbles and Kyle and I will be there tomorrow, come out and party and fix games!

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Nimbles and Kyle and I will be there tomorrow, come out and party and fix games!

I'm in

#150 4 years ago

Right on man, see you tomorrow, it's been a while.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 53.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside