Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015 show graphic.jpg
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

While we are still early in the planning stages, mark your calendars today, the 2015 NW Pinball & Arcade Show is June 5th-7th, 2015. This is one of the premiere shows in the world and many industry insiders consider the most well-run and fun. If you haven't been before, maybe it's time you booked a flight to Seattle and come and check it out!

In its 8th year, the show will draw 3,000 pinball and arcade fans to Washington State. Highlights of the show include:

-Over 400 pinball and arcade games on freeplay, including one of a kind and rarely seen in public games.

-Top guests and speakers from the pinball and arcade industry are always one of the highlights of the show.

-Multiple pinball and arcade tournaments throughout the weekend for kids, amateurs, avid tournament players and top rated IFPA pros.

-Drawings for a pinball or arcade game every day of the show (usually one brand new pin, one restored 90s pin, and two restored 80s arcade games)

-Tons of sponsors and vendors, from the biggest in the industry to local arcades, artists and parts vendors.

-World record high score attempts.

-Fairly new facility with food, beer and wine onsite. Free WiFi. Great air conditioning. Multiple bathrooms. Great lighting. Really nice convention center.

-Two nearby hotels, lots of nearby restaurants and bars, also very close to a number of great museums and other extracurricular activities.

The hotels are already booking, tickets will be for sale soon, more information will be coming in the next few weeks at: nwpinballshow.com

2015 show graphic.jpg2015 show graphic.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to coming down again next year!

#3 9 years ago

We on the west coast need to spread these shows out! How can I convince my wife that I need to go to PAGG in the middle of May, your show like two weeks later, then CAX like four weeks after that!

Someone put a show on out here at this time of year!

In all seriousness best of luck with your show, it looks like a ton of fun.

#4 9 years ago

Next year you should get GasX to sponsor the event---- that place smelled

#5 9 years ago

Good show, crappy parking, almost nothing for sale there, parking very inconvenient for anyone
    Bringing games, pins or a trailer. Need to have more swap meet items or things for sale.
    Different location with a 50 acre FLAT parking lot would be better.

#6 9 years ago

I hope to have one of my Flash Gordon machines fully restored and available for play this year. Maybe a Silverball Mania too.

#7 9 years ago

Maybe I will finally go to one? Maybe, who knows...

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Good show, crappy parking, almost nothing for sale there, parking very inconvenient for anyone
    Bringing games, pins or a trailer. Need to have more swap meet items or things for sale.

Wow, don't hold back there, what did you really think?

#9 9 years ago

Too noisy, too smelly, too hot, It was a good show, and I'm sure they did all they could do to pull it off. It's just not set up as a buy sell show at all. Not a place to bring a truck and trailer. Had several sets of pinball legs stolen out of the truck unloading, Huge pain in ass, hotel had no parking, show had very little and we got hastled all weekend by the parking lot nazis. Kicked out of the lot on the last day. We brought 32 pins there and drove 8 hours.
    But we liked the show and people, handy being accross street from the hotel. Great speakers and contacts that i made were good. Next time prob fly out or just bring my truck with 3 pins. No trailer.
    Who buids a convention center on the side of a mountain with a parking lot smaller than a McDonald's?
    Fail.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

How about having it at the Puyallup Fairgrounds instead? Plenty of flat parking lots there.

#11 9 years ago

Pros and cons imo

1.) Tried to bring pins to the show but I was unable to meet really tight load in and out times.
    Might be easier if you live closer.
    Yet I've never had a problem driving 10 hours to Pin a Gogo with pins the last two years.
    2.) Food at the venue is bad and not worth eating. (Better food in walking distance though)

Aside from that it is a really fun time.
    1.) best crew for repairing pins I've ever seen at a show
    2.) 200+ pins in mostly good shape to excellent
    3.) friendly folks
    4.) Washington State legal cannabis (21+)
    5.) great speakers and seminar rooms
    6.) Affordable ticket price
    7.) Sell beer and wine (restricted to the food area)

To sum it up the pros massively outweighs the cons.

#12 9 years ago

8.) tons of location play within the Tacoma Seattle area

#13 9 years ago

Great, back to Tacoma again.

I guess it could be worse. It could be in Wheeling, IL. But seriously, please move it back to Seattle.

Word of the wise to anyone attending this year, do not eat the food at the convention center. It is literally matter with calories. It is not food. With the 9 dollar beers, I'll meet you across the street to shotgun beers.

All and all yes I have had a great time at the Tacoma iterations but comparing it to its predecessors back in Seattle leaves a lot to be desired.

#14 9 years ago

Simply bring it back to Seattle! Would draw more patrons from out of town and maybe pinballers's spouses too. The LeMay Museum being there is great, but thats it.

What's really funny are the silly event promo posters showing the Space Needle for an event in Tacoma, hint...might want to change the Space Needle to a Tacoma smoke stack instead.

#15 9 years ago

Could always bring it to Walla Walla. Tons of wine and it is in the center of the Northwest.

#16 9 years ago

a swap meet like pin a go go would be cool. i talked to so many people that came to buy pins and parts and nothing at the show.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

a swap meet like pin a go go would be cool. i talked to so many people that came to buy pins and parts and nothing at the show.

Please.

#18 9 years ago

I thought the space itself was good. Convention center built on the side of a hill with almost no parking makes it really hard for out of towners to bring pins, not to mention restrictive load in times. (Pre 9am on fri)
    Food was inedible at food court, 9 dollar beers are out of question.
    More stuff for sale is great for all hobbyists, ample secure parking for trailers full of equipment should be a no brainer.
    Pacific Northwest has so much great food and beer it's really a shame there is no way of showcasing local beers and maybe a pod of food trucks in a parking lot.
    Congrats to the Seattle crew for throwing a great show, they put a ton of work into it and always have an amazing tech area, complete with tech seminars.

#19 9 years ago

im going to pin a go go instead im thinking, same drive, more stuff, campground, swap meet

1 week later
    #20 9 years ago

Weird on the parking situation comments, I found free parking on the street two blocks up from the Tacoma Convention Center every day of the show. There are multiple large pay parking lots on two sides of the venue. Parking and driving around trying to find it was much worse at the Seattle Center, there was no free street parking and the lots were mostly full and very expensive ($25-$30 a day).

We've found the loading/unloading situation mostly great, 5 bays for big trucks and a ramp smaller trucks and trucks with trailers can drive right up. If there's things we can do to help with loading/unloading, let us know a few weeks ahead of time, we usually have a big crew of volunteers ready to help. I know the venue has stipulations about load in times, but we can work with you if you are bringing a truckload of games.

The beer and food stuff we can't change, both venues we've done the show at and every other one we looked at force you to use their vendors and don't let you bring in outside vendors. I think that's the nature of the business from their standpoint. We could try working with the hotel for food carts in their parking lot, if someone wants to volunteer to spearhead exploring this idea, I'm all for it!

Honestly, we'd love to move it back to Seattle, I've been an advocate for that all along. But we outgrew the Seattle Center space and a street change chopped the loading area so big trucks can't get in. We looked about about 15 other spaces, the only possible doable one was the Seattle Convention Center--the main drawbacks were loading/unloading (2 games at a time in elevators works for our arcade at PAX and Comicon, but not with 425 games), the ticket price would have to jump 50% to afford the venue, and parking would be far worse of a situation. Does it help knowing we've done a ton of venue research, looked at a lot of spaces, and really could not find a better option? And the option we chose is new and modern and a really nice space?

I think we found the best venue in the region for our type of show, it's a great space, but yeah, it's a 35 minute drive from Seattle. If you have suggestions of another space that's big enough, has nearby hotels, ample parking and a good loading dock for a reasonable price, we are all ears!

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

How about having it at the Puyallup Fairgrounds instead? Plenty of flat parking lots there.

That's actually a possibility, we will look into travel and hotel situations there. Everyone from Seattle would complain about the drive even more though

#22 9 years ago

Back to Seattle Center, pinball only...problem solved, or Century Link exhibition center, lots of different space configurations available without having to rent the whole facility out.

#23 9 years ago

I loved the show but it would nice in another location with a big swap meet area with more room for machines for sale, parking unloading was a zoo, I bought a machine on Friday and picked it up on Sunday after the show and things were a tight mess in that small parking area.

#24 9 years ago

the parking was embarrassing lame for a convention center, about par for Tacoma though , drove all around, couldn't locate the free stuff.

the food court place was horrible, the hamburger I ordered stunk like chit, no joke.

the game layout was good and the temperature was way better than the center, lighting could be lower but I believe the word is it cant be dimmed.

its better than the center by a long shot ......1-10 it's a solid 9 as is.

pin pimp, don't like it bring on something better to sell your stuff at you did all right selling your stuff to the NW guys, you'd still be sitting on most of it if you hadn't delivered it.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

I loved the show but it would nice in another location with a big swap meet area with more room for machines for sale, parking unloading was a zoo, I bought a machine on Friday and picked it up on Sunday after the show and things were a tight mess in that small parking area.

You just blew my mind

A separate area where games are for sale and more flexible load in and out times would be awesome.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Iamdarras:

Next year you should get GasX to sponsor the event---- that place smelled

Just think if it was still in the old place with low ceilings and hot. gross!

Quoted from pin-pimp:

They have a giant loading bay with a ramp for non loading dock type trucks as well. And a massive parking garage thats like $5 all day. That's not too bad for a large location.

The whole no moving games drives me nuts. In the pinballbulbs booth we LED games constantly and had trouble being able to move a game to LEd it then put it back

Is the seattle center in the downtown area? Downtown seattle is such a driving shit show I wouldn't want to bring a big truck full of games and cruise it through there

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Too noisy, too smelly, too hot,

By saying it was too hot makes me wonder if you went to the show? Lol dude the AC is cranked in that place and it gets freakin cold in there and I have my house like permanently cranked to 68

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

By saying it was too hot makes me wonder if you went to the show? Lol dude the AC is cranked in that place and it gets freakin cold in there and I have my house like permanently cranked to 68

Agreed. A few times it was like a meat locker or a walk in cooler in there. That's definitely better than it being hot though.

The show was good overall but here's where I think improvements can be made.
    Move it out of Tacoma. Tacoma is scary(er) at night. The last thing we need is something happening to a patron outside the venue when they leave at the end of the show.

Parking sucks for people bringing trailers and games. If someone is bringing a trailer full of games we need to provide a space for them to leave the trailer during the show otherwise they will stop bringing games.

All the restrictions on moving games and tables is a bit much.

More vendors!! This is a huge one for me. Last year I bought a couple of silverjets and LEDs from James and that's it. I left with money in my pocket which is not a good thing.

Fewer arcade games, change the name to Arcade and Pinball Show if the ratio is going to be 3.

#29 9 years ago

Don't know the answer, it was beter than downtown Seattle. But parking a 24 foot pickup with a 26 foot trailer don't work there. I don't know the area, is there a flat parking lot anywhere nearby? Unloading and loading wasn't too bad, it's just the, where do I park my rig for the next 3 or 4 days that was the pain.
    Yes we sold everything we brought there and that was good. Most were deals made prior to the show.
    We stayed Sunday night so we didn't have to drive all night home and on Sunday we were told to leave
    The only parking place the truck would fit into. The back corner of the loading lot. Now screwed.
    After a fight with the hotel they let me park right in front of the hotel.
    I guess I will quit bitching, i won the x box one. Great show, I'm sure it was a major pain in the ass
    Logistically to pull off. Good job to all that pulled that off.

#30 9 years ago

The Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show is an "ALL VOLUNTEER, NON PROFIT" show. All games are loaned to the show from volunteers. We can only put out the games loaned to us.

The inability to move games during the show has nothing to do with the venue. It is by order of the Fire Marshall, and the rules are the same in Seattle.

The show is not a swap meet, and all space costs the show money. Including the parking lot that our Trucks are staged within.

The only person that I know of who truly could not find parking was the guy who brought a trailer full of pins to sell.

Century Link Exhibition Center is not an option, we looked into it.

I am Thankful to ALL of the Volunteers who donate games or their time or both to the Show.
    Dok

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dok:

The Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show is an "ALL VOLUNTEER, NON PROFIT" show. All games are loaned to the show from volunteers. We can only put out the games loaned to us.
    The inability to move games during the show has nothing to do with the venue. It is by order of the Fire Marshall, and the rules are the same in Seattle.
    The show is not a swap meet, and all space costs the show money. Including the parking lot that our Trucks are staged within.
    The only person that I know of who truly could not find parking was the guy who brought a trailer full of pins to sell.
    I am Thankful to ALL of the Volunteers who donate games or their time or both to the Show.
    Dok

I have a feeling you're going to get less pins this year than last...unless you address some issues people have brought up.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

To sum it up the pros massively outweighs the cons.

I stand by that statement

#32 9 years ago

Ya well we brought over 30 pins to the show, and about 12 were in the show on freeplay.
    Including a medieval madness, 2 no good goohers and attack from Mars.
    Kind of real nice high end pins to have there and they all had huge lines all weekend.
    So give us a little bit of a break. It's not like we only came to sell shit.
    There was people there to buy and hardly noting for sale.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Ya well we brought over 30 pins to the show, and about 12 were in the show on freeplay.
    Including a Medieval Madness, 2 no good goohers and Attack from Mars.
    Kind of real nice high end pins to have there and they all had huge lines all weekend.

Amen.
    It's great to be able to put a sign on a game for sale, but the games are still hauled to the show for people to play all weekend.
    The option would be NOT bringing them inside and only doing parking lot deals, but what's the fun in that?

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

I really enjoyed playing the games you brought, I hope you'll do the same next year. Much appreciated!

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Very cool!

We had booth in corner with the 13 led games all high end as well. I do like how so many were respectful to games. I think if it we're in Seattle I'd consider going Or not since we are down south. Just depends.

#36 9 years ago

Looking forward to attending, assuming it works out with my wife's work schedule.

Quoted from ChrisVW:

Tacoma is scary(er) at night. The last thing we need is something happening to a patron outside the venue when they leave at the end of the show.

You mean I shouldn't have been wanding around by myself hoping to find some place open for food at or past midnight? Damn... seriously the first place I found that was open was the Pita Pit and the hot dog guy at Dorky's.

I did not want to go down the dark pita eating path, so I chose the hot dog stand. It was a good choice. I remember loving that hot dog, probably just tired and hungry, but it was good to me

As far as the venue food, as long as you made sure you had your own water on hand, it was mostly ok. I ate the burgers and fries at least twice. It kept me going.

I hope next year is as awesome as last year!

My only suggestion was the Pin Golf games... they seemed way underutilized. Either allow multiple tries, or have competitions on multiple days or? Getting to play each a whole one time, then essentially being locked out was suboptimal, I think those were the least played games at the show (happy to be wrong about that, but I recall them being unplayed bunch of Sat / Sun ? Am I crazy?).

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Very cool!
    We had booth in corner with the 13 led games all high end as well. I do like how so many were respectful to games. I think if it we're in Seattle I'd consider going Or not since we are down south. Just depends.

Both of you brought some really sweet games and I always try to treat every pinball and arcade game with the utmost respect since that is how I would want my machines treated.
    Parking is not the greatest but it is definitely better than Seattle Center.
    I miss having the show in Seattle because it was nice to take a break and wonder around downtown for a few hours.
    I walked around Tacoma after dark to take in Dorky's and that was somewhat scary.
    Thanks to everybody for volunteering their time and games to a great show!

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dok:

Dok

How about a little more attitude, I'm sure you've got some room to dial it up a notch!

#39 9 years ago

Can't wait... To wait in line .... For hobbit!

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dok:

Dok

Geez man, maybe you should leave the talking to "nwpinball".

I don't see the sense in trying to belittle the guy who dragged 30 games 500 miles to your show and set up 12 of them on free play and try to dismiss him on the grounds that he was selling pins. Seems a little obtuse.

People do come to the NW Pinball show to buy things. Its awesome going to shows with some money in the back pocket and bringing something home wether its a NOS playfield, game, or just a t shirt.

#41 9 years ago

Would be nice to have another area set aside for swap meet as part of the gathering, but for what it is, goes great. Could use the other side, was completely unused all weekend.

#42 9 years ago

We are gonna talk at our planning meetings about both the swap meet idea and figuring out better parking

I think actually there is great parking and multiple options for trailers, it's just that we didn't communicate it well. I'll put together a guide to the various nearby lots for both day parking and for people with trailers and have it on the website and printed out to give out on the loading dock to people self-transporting games. This part is easily solvable, there's way more parking around this venue than there was at the Seattle Center, so thanks everyone for the feedback and bringing it up!

The swap meet idea comes up every year. I think the main reasons it hasn't happened is:
    -There are one or two other regular swap meet parking lot sales organized by other people, it takes the pressure off of show organizers for this event, which is already a ton of work.
    -Most of the people that would participate are the same local collectors working the show. We have 100+ volunteers, pretty much every medium to big pinball and arcade collector in the area is bringing games and working the show, so we don't really have time to sit at tables selling games and parts. I wish we could do all the things!
    -Northwest collectors are insane hoarders. Pinball is super popular here right now and has been for years. Games are snapped up immediately when they go up for sale. Local collectors are paying big bucks to ship games in because the local demand far outweighs the inventory.

But that said, we are definitely trying to grow the show with more vendors and more stuff to do when you're there, I definitely think we could swing it if we get the right person to organize it and can get a few people committed to bring a bunch of stuff to sell.

For the guy that found downtown Tacoma scary, man, you should have seen it 20 years ago! I think it's more empty than scary. They've built a lot of nice museums, office space, hotels, the convention center, the UW campus, etc. all there and it's full during the day, but not much happening at night. There definitely is a dead space at night between the hotels and Dorky's. Protip for late night food and beer drinkers, if you walk the opposite direction within 3 blocks is:
    The Harmon Brewpub - Their own line of microbrews and great pub food. Big space and hopping all day and night.
    The Swiss - Old Tacoma bar, huge space, with strong drinks, a ton of taps, good food, and live music at night in the second room.
    The Rock Wood Fired Kitchen - Rock'n'roll themed pizza, burger and microbrewery place. Pinheads tookover the bar area almost the entire show. They have a bunch of crazy drinks in buckets. Now Todd MacCulloch is a big man, but he was goofy drunk after two of them.

#43 9 years ago

We went to that Harmon brewpub last year. Was pretty awesome! And yes downtown Tacoma is really cleaned itself up. It's pretty tame.

#44 9 years ago

I know, right? I just stayed at the Murano for another convention a few weeks ago and now am not sure which is better, the Harmon's gigantic mountain themed nacho platter or The Swiss' tachos, which were nachos served on tater tots instead of chips. Both went really well with a nice porter

#45 9 years ago

For regular cars, whats the parking issue? There is a massive garage attached under the building. I went in and out all day to get stuff. Always a spot and its $5.

Quoted from leisure:

We went to that Harmon brewpub last year. Was pretty awesome! And yes downtown Tacoma is really cleaned itself up. It's pretty tame.

As someone who lived there 4 years during my college times I fully agree. We left the show each night really late and wondered to get food, never felt unsafe. It's right on the UW tacoma campus basically with security patrolling all over....

#46 9 years ago

I had zero parking issues but I didn't have a huge truck. Found street parking 2 blocks up the hill for free.
    Last year was my first so I don't have anything to compare it to but I will very much be back.

#47 9 years ago

Yeah there was free parking all over a couple blocks up. I have had way better results finding free parking with the Tacoma location than I ever did at Seattle Center.

Not sure where the scary vibe came from. I agree with the OP, it was empty. I walked all over and rarely saw anyone out unless they were students headed to the bars or other show goers on a similiar hunt for better food!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#48 9 years ago

Yes, and I took the elevator right to the show floor in 2 minutes. $5.00 for your car parked in a secure lot is a no brainer, A great place for food and cocktails was the Swiss, had a three martini lunch and went back buzzed and played more pinball

3 months later
    #49 9 years ago

This show will be super fun, will stern have announced what's coming after Wrestlemania ?

#50 9 years ago

I'm planning on heading down for it. Sounds like an awesome time. Will be my first show. Any tips on best place to stay?

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-northwest-pinball-arcade-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.