image.jpeg
image.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
5105b4df-7dd7-4808-b9e0-af33ac2331aa.jpg
image.jpeg
Blame_canada.gif
dteeth.jpg
tar_sands18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was going to drive 6 hours to your place to buy a game from you, decided not to and was courteous about it. I decided not to make the drive to your place as our winter was extremely bad and I didn't feel comfortable, as did my wife, making a 12 hour round trip in winter weather. There were other circumstances as well in play including that the car rental company wouldn't let me take the vehicle across multiple state lines.
I'm certainly glad I didn't now after seeing how rude and disrespectful you have been to me. I've had people back out of a game sale on me and would never say the things you have said to me on here.

Um..... you guys know about the PM system?

#142 8 years ago

You really need THREE threads.... total.

1. Updates/news. This is a locked thread, opened for REAL updates only. Long on facts, shorty on commentary. Im pretty sure pinside has done these in the past for other boutiques. btw- THIS thread has 2-3 posts right in the beginning from panzer that would be perfect starters for such a thread.... Folks can jump in, gets the facts, and jump out without wading into long discussions.

2. Discussion thread. This is for, well, discussion, pros and cons..... everyone knows what this looks like.

3. Fan Thread. This thread is more of your "members-only" type thread. Its not meant for folks that want to criticize the business model, manufacturing schedule, etc, etc. Its for folks that have already made their decision to purchase and want to discuss the game in peace without the critics and feeling the need to defend their purchase.

3 threads- and everyone is happy... it might sound like overkill, but when you consider how inefficient the current system is- I think it would make for happier users.

Thoughts?

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I didn't realize I needed to defend my pinball purchases when I posted in a normal thread.

and I'm not saying you should..... But that's exactly what tends to happen.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Good suggestions, but why be insulting to those that bought the game (or are fans after seeing or playing what's been revealed thus far)?
Is it necessary to say they are like members of a cult who committed suicide?

I wasn't trying to be insulting.... I think "drinking the koolaid" is a fairly common term, but I edited that reference nonetheless so as not to lose the point.

2 weeks later
#172 8 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

It's Jacks private forum, he has every right to moderate it as he sees fit. If he over-reacted or made and error in banning the wrong person, that's unfortunate, but not exactly the end of the world..

Please!

If Jack had said something smart and insightful, he wouldn't have childishly banned a someone for sharing it.

It's PURELY because he's embarrassed that people were exposed to his asinine comments about Jpop.... And the backlash that followed.

In fact, even the die-hard supporters struggled to defend his comments.... Rather than agree with his comments, the most forceful was to weakly suggest it was just "his opinion" and therefor shouldn't be criticized.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Why does everything, unrelated to The Hobbit, positive or negative revolved around Jack or the company end up in the hobbit threads?

Why? if I had to guess:
1. because its the most active JJP-related thread
2. to fill the vacuum until there's actual updates....
3. Hard to separate jack and jack's behavior from jacks pinball machines

btw- I suggested they create a locked thread with REAL updates only (similar to what they've done for other boutique titles)- so the casual surfer could click the thread, and in 2-3 minutes know every real update- without any commentary. That idea was roundly panned .

2 weeks later
#226 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Why do folks think that "Game of Thrones" is the end all/be all cure for pinball?

Exaggerate much?

Please link the posts where people are suggesting GoT is the "end all/be all cure" for pinball?

Also, what exactly ails pinball that it needs a "cure"?

#253 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Try to buy a AC/DC or TRON LE.
I preorder games I think I will like. There is no chance to get one in the best version if you don't preorder it.

Huh?

We arent talking about acdc or tron though, were talking about a JJP game.... Where "limited" is measured in the thousands!

For a better example, look how 'hard' it is to find a WoZ LE...... Pretty damn easy.....

Sorry, but your example fails.

#282 8 years ago

great news.... I feel 10x more confident now that JJP CAN/WILL really jettison the prepay fiasco moving forward...

Congrats to Jack & JJP for securing the investment to further fund the business! Really great development!

2 months later
#305 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

They better start pumping these out soon or it will not matter..

Yeah, kinda sad when a year later- showing a picture that they seem to have enough parts to build... what 150-200 is an "update"

I was really thinking there'd be a few of these in the wild by Winter.... I want to SEE/PLAY one before I commit on GOT (been leaning AWAY from TH, but not 100%), but now its feeling like its still more months before I'll come across one on location....

And, worse, the wait for Lawlor's game gets pushed our further and further....

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

There should be real news between 8pm 10 pm thursday as that is when jack is a speaker at expo

Yes, but that news will be likely stuff Jack SAYS. With his track record, I'm more interested in what they actually DO at this point- specifically in regards to shipping dates.

He's certainly done new and amazing things with this new platform, but its also fair to say he has nearly zero credibility when it comes to his promises about production.

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

I think things have reached the point that if Jack does not give some shipping date only the hard core JJP fan will still be happy.It is the expo after that game you can't describe with out using the word cluster. People have given Jack a chance to show what he can do but I think time is up.

Well, history has shown the pre-payers tend to be a fairly stubborn group. Yes, they may say they are mad, and give ultimatums (and SOME do bail) by many (most?) just sit back and take it....

The lies and delays are all written off to "well, we're actually better off that Th is a year late because it will be BETTER" and thus somehow feel like JJP has done them favor..... As if they've completely discounted the possibility that JJP could delver a great game AND not lie about the delivery dates....

Some will point to GoT and say "See, THIS is what you get when you demand things on time!!!!!"

But at the end of the day, the majority will continue to wait...

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Think there's late, then there is "a year late".. Twice. Imagine would try anyones patience and make people concerned about financial viability.. Its not like being late is free.

Well, its not as expensive for JJP.... why?

Because during this year-long "delay" they have been cranking out WoZ's at full steam...... all bringing in NEW money.

I said it 6 months ago- and maintain the same today - when there's no more WoZ's to ship/build, TH will "miraculously" be ready for assembly....

I think much of this "delay" was simply JJP maximizing the demand for WoZ and putting TH on the backburner for the new money business....

#318 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I very much doubt that TH was purposefully delayed in order to crank out more WoZ machines. Previously WoZ was built to order and now they have machines available for purchase and ready to ship. It makes more sense to build up a stock of completed WoZ machines between the time when orders were filled for WoZ and TH is ready to go rather than to just shut down the line and lay people off.

Of course its a good idea to build some extra Woz for stock- but that wasn't an option until very recently... Jack mentioned several times they still had a multi-week long backlog of WoZs to build and they COULDNT build extras for "stock."

Of course its pure conjecture, but i think the timing is interesting - TH ramping up for production JUST as the backlog of WoZ is caught up.... Makes more sense then they are so disorganized that they are JUST now getting parts in? To believe that you'd have to also then believe they NEVER intended to build these games anywhere NEAR what Jack had promised.

Either way, the point is, watch what they DO, not what they say (regarding shipping).

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Not sure if this was posted.....

Enough of parts coming in!

The most important picture JJP needs to post is one of these sweet looking PF's..... on the assembly line!

btw- again- as someone who's desperately trying to rationalize a GoT purchase (and has been scrutinizing the PF to no end), the evolution of the TH PF is really amazing.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Bar raised in terms of rate of future releases (2 per year). I really hope so.

2/ year?

titles.... or machines?

JUUUUUUUUST Kiddin'

#486 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Seems to me JJP could just remove it if it truly has no shot. I don't think people would be upset about removing it.

Well, one guy might.... He fastidiously counts all BOM parts when professing the merits of the JJPs games. But, if they switched it with a toy- he'd probably be OK.

I was thinking there might be some mode that the trolls would stay up and using the upper flipper would be the ONLY way to make a shot....

Hard to tell from the videos if that's even possible.

Still, if that's the worst criticism of the game, that's pretty minor.

No question, the game is certainly the most striking visually and audio-ly . Audibly....aurially... Whatever.
My bigger concern is overall speed of play.... So I can't wait to play one on location.... Hopefully the guys at a Flippers have an early order in!

#500 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

This is not a slow game and they don't even have it set up for speed. !

That's one of my concerns.... Nice to hear your feedback on the latest gameplay...

Also, the vid below from Roger playing it certainly doesn't look stop & go....

I'll NEVER prepay for a game, so a buying decison for me still sadly seems like a long way off, but TH is certainly growing on me....especially with my interest waning on GoT.

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

I want an invite to your place. I'll bring beer and pizza

It's (Bankers place) pinball heaven.

#534 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Jack says November on Coast2coast interview. Keeps getting longer and longer......................

You lost me at "Jack said"

SEEMS like it's actually getting close though.... I'd love Jack to just STOP talking about it and they *BAM* post a photo of the first ones getting loaded on the first truck.

#541 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

I have heard every month from last Dec to now talked about as a shipping date

yeah, well , everyone gets fooled....

case in point, even pinside still thinks this is a 2014 game

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 1.31.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-20 at 1.31.36 PM.png

#570 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

What are peoples thoughts on the $150.00 Playfield Protector option that is installed before the playfield is populated?.

With the increasing cost of games - I could see this being a decent option for a game going on location. Those are going to get a TON on plays and the protector might help maintain some resale value for the operator.

But for a HUO game? Seems dumb. Beyond overkill- I could see it doing more harm if crap got under it..... Now that's assuming JJP puts Mylar down where they need to (unlike WoZ)....

At the end of the day, though, I think it's pretty cool that JJP makes it a factory option- it would certainly be a pain in the ass to do it right aftermarket!

#585 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

The one worry I have about the game is the sheer weight of the items attached to the PF and what impact that may have longer term on the PF. I guess if it is spread evenly it should be OK but it if the weight is concentrated in the middle of the PF my thinking is it could warp the Pf over time.

I think that every time I look at the "drac track" on my MB.... Damn giant SLICE cut right into the damn center of the PF!

Seems to hold up though

#593 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

This threade reminds me of tumbleweed.

Im hoping this is just a little "quiet before the storm" and they are so damn close to the start of assembly- they don't want to say anything to jinx it....

#596 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Lowepg do u remember that other hobbit threade with like 6,000 comments. I can't find it. It's a year old.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/177#post-2723895

#600 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

JerseyJackPinball this morning stated that production

Sorry.... you lost after the "JJP *SAID*" part

looking forward to photos!

But seriously, sounds like some early adopters will get their machines in 2015..... I'm hoping my guys at Flippers in Grandy are high on the list (but that they DONT end up getting a prototype machine like they did with Woz).

pumped to see this game in the wild

(and be one step closer to JJP #3).

#602 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

We can soon start the 2016 Hobbit update thread
Looking forward to the game but geez JJP needs to get there crap together. It will easily be next spring before most people have the slightest chance of getting their game.

Im hoping for a "2016 Lawlor Update thread" so don't jinx me that this will drag out through all of 2016!

btw- I did notice they changed the listing for TH from "2014" to "2015" recently... (I had previously pointed this out in a typically snarky manner).

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

When I ordered, I was told there was no guarantee that the price would not go up after production started. This is a pre-production price. But then it was said that the price may stay the same initially for a bit.
Just sayin ... remember that the WOZ price went up once production started to catch up.

Frankly I don't see the "pre-production price" as much of a bargain.... unless you ignore the time value of money.

I guess its OK for people that NEED it as a way to save, kind of like a modern day lay-away scheme....

But, use WoZ as an example:
Did you really SAVE money tying up your cash for YEARS?
Working through multiple iterations of led boards, etc?

It's mostly for folks that want to be bleeding edge adopters and "invest" in the company..... by the way... nothing wrong with that - just not my cup of tea....however, telling yourself its a "money saver" is a bit of a rationalization stretch....

#679 8 years ago

I hate watching TH videos.... it just infuriates me at Stern re: GoT.

Got theme >> TH theme (for me)
TH pinball connection to its theme >>> GoT connection to its theme
gameplay? still undecided.

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Its safe to say both companies spent two years on each pin. Goes to show you what that actually means when you compare the two.

Wait, thats not exactly accurate either.

Stern may have started kicking around GoT 2 years ago, but they've also pumped out what, like 8 pins since?
JJP has been working on it for more like, what, 3 years? I mean its a year late, so its certainly more than 2 years.

1 week later
#807 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Are you a pinball assembly line expert? All this armchair quarterback stuff gets old. I don't give a rat's butt how they figure out their assembly line...I'm just happy they are at the point where they are FINALLY having to figure it out.

Is JJP a pinball assembly line expert?

What's perfectly clear to me with all these delays and the fact that they are still getting basic parts in NOW is that they never, ever, ever had any intention of building this machine last year. It was a big lie.

The narrative that Jack suddenly pulled the near-ready machine back from the line to make some user-suggested changes and THAT is what caused the delay is horseshit.

Yes, they made changes (definitely for the better), but the machine was never going to ship on time regardless. THAT change just provided a very nice story about the delay....Jack had to be laughing his ass of at the folks, for months, that were defending and lauding the delay as "Jack listening to customers!"

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't think Jack is laughing his ass off about any of this. I'm a supporter of JJP, and even I'm not laughing anymore. This delay has reached the level of being absurd.

Absurd, but not surprising....

I said as much many months ago when JJP divulged they were still swamped with WoZs and couldn't keep a single machine "on the shelf."

TH would "coincidentally" be ready to assembly once JJP had fulfilled their backorder of WoZs. To JJPs credit, they've still been selling the shit out of WoZ. And there was no way Jack would slow down that gravy train for TH.... If there's one thing everyone should ave learned about JJP it's this:
New money >> old money (pre-orderers)

#909 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I don't own WOZ but play it alot here in Raleigh - it is a good pinball machine. Very sharp looking. However, I think it is possible that the hobbit could be a better pin. I think it also is dependent on the your affinity for the theme. Time will tell ... the Hobbit is looking strong to me.

Where you been playing it?

I played at boxcar and the machine was a bit unforgiving in the setup....

#912 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Who can tell? Same shit, different actor:
Gandalf_Dumbledore.jpg

Good point... Add a red hat with white fringe and you'd have Santa as well....

#942 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Today I'm merely laughing at you guys that think production is still going to start this month.......when this week is an extended holiday week.
Logic is not being applied.

"Production starting" is pretty vague.

If they slap together a few subassemblies on Nov30th at 11:59pm. then "production has begun."

So, it's all a bit of a joke right now.... and somewhat meaningless.

REAL= a finished machine rolling out the shipping dock. Im sure there will be a picture, and then "shit gets real"

I wouldn't EVER wager on JJP production (or on prepaying for that matter), but I'm going to guess they build 2-3 machines/week in December and get +/- 12 out the door by Jan 1st.

So, yes, I think machines will ship this year, however I think its a PIPEDREAM for folks to expect 30, 40, 50 machines a week to come out of JJP! It's more likely it will follow a slightly ramped version of WoZ.

#947 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

So, WOZ started rolling off the line around May 1st 2014.
That is about 454 working days including stat holidays till end of Nov 2015.
2600 games means they averaged about 5.73 games per day. If you factor in stat days, that probably brings it up to 6 per day.
They had some supply problems early on. That means that number could come up some.
Assuming 1500 Hobbits were sold total so far, that is a full year of production with 261 working days.

Yay! math!

A couple variables now though:
1. They *presumably* know what they're doing now
2. They have more cash to pay their suppliers and not get part-starved
3. They don't just have one machine to build, WoZ orders (new $$$$) will likely take precedent on the line.

I think #1 & 2 tend to improve their capacity above your prediction
#3 could work against it.

#950 8 years ago

yikes.... that drops his math from 5.73 games day to ~3.7 games/day.

#953 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Surprised it's even 3.7 / day. It felt slower than that, but the math adds up.

Probably because it wasn't a straight line number....

When everyone was waiting on their WoZ's, they were cranking out 1-2/day
This last year, when most the pre orderers were happy, they were probably up to 6/day

or something like that like that....

#974 8 years ago

Using your definition, "production" started 6 months ago when they put a bolt on a dragon head....

As I said before... with all the shenanigans on timelines here, "production starting" is pretty useless.

First pin rolling off the shipping dock is the next "red letter day" for JJP.

Feels like its getting closer though.... so thats good!

Bring on Lawlor!

#988 8 years ago

Oh the irony of THAT image being used to prove the point!

#1054 8 years ago

Can we assume THIS thread will be jettisoned to the basement in 5 weeks when JJP production (yet again) slips into a new year?

#1116 8 years ago
Quoted from Lotr-Hobbit:

Is there a possibility that we could get back on topic? .

Let's face it-

This thread has been offtopic for most of the last 10 months. After the first post, there's been maybe 12 posts that were actual "updates" - the other ~1000? Offtopic.

When it takes 3+ years to start manufacturing on a machine, unless you lock the thread and reopen it for occasional actual news, there's no way it stays on the rails.

#1164 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

When are we going to start the 2016 Hobbit Update Thread? Should I do it or will you?

Already done.

However, the party-faithfuls successfully got it exiled to the basement so as not to inflict mental anguish on their tender psyches.

And, the OP of this thread was not ready to relinquish the notoriety of HIS thread.... the irony being it was already a duplicate when it was created

Because.... SURELY, suggesting TH will slip into next month is ludicrous, trollish and downright un-pinball. Clearly those fools creating the thread were unaware of the "contractual obligations"

#1280 8 years ago

Correct me if Im wrong:

With WoZ, didn't JJP build and ship out a number of prototypes to get some field feedback before moving into production?

If so, wouldn't THAT be a precursor to production in earnest (for customer delivery)?

I only ask because I had the unfortunate pleasure of finding 2 of these prototypes when I was first looking for machines in the wild...

#1325 8 years ago

No ip tracking for new account sign ups?

This assclown really pegged the douchebaggery meter quickly...

Well, at least I found another account to ignore.... Yay.... 2.

1 week later
#1433 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Why does Apple lower the price of an Ipod a few years latter?
To make more money!

I agree. I better example (in this case) is:

Apple sells the 64GB version of the phone for $749
they sell the 16GB version for $649.

Did they really take out $100 of memory? No, probably like $10 diff, but they are artificially creating multiple price points. Pretty common across nearly every industry.

#1436 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't see how anyone can write off the Hobbit as being "no fun" at this point, .

Agree 100%

But, for the exact same reasons, its too soon to "spike the football" that its the greatest pinball game ever made.

A few things for certain:
It looks amazing.
It sounds even more amazing.

But since they haven't even shipped ONE, might be a bit soon to take a victory lap

#1447 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

America can't even defend itself these days

Pretty sure, you, in Canada, do NOT want to actually have this conversation... its inflammatory, off topic and more importantly, ungrateful...

Jack said it best:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom....you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. ....my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think... "

#1559 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

The hobbits that are being made now are not for customers. Test pins only to retailers.

Yep.... so more like "Production has officially-ish Started"!

It's good sign, but if someone was still taking bets, I'd consider this an admission that real production will start soon... mostly likely in January.... but not yet.

Crossing fingers for no issues in the prototype phase.... Id like to see one of these in NC in January!

#1571 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Not every man is up to the challenge.

Correct.

Far more woman are.

#1616 8 years ago

I assume all the off-color stuff (that appears completely unmoderated?) is just the final death-throws of this thread as its bundled-up for a trip to obscurity in the basement come 1/1/2016.

#1713 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You come across as mr innocent and positive but you're as big of a troll as the rest.

Tank is not a troll.

Unabashed fanboi? Maybe. But not a troll.

Fun tank fact:
Panzer has used the word "toys" 1.1 million times......it's a fact, I read it on the internet somewhere.

2 weeks later
#1908 8 years ago

So far - theres still more hobbit THREADS than actual machines built...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.