image.jpeg
image.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
5105b4df-7dd7-4808-b9e0-af33ac2331aa.jpg
image.jpeg
Blame_canada.gif
dteeth.jpg
tar_sands18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 8 years ago

Grown men talking about a hobbit pinball machine acting like kids. Yup, just another day on pinside happy 4th.

1 month later
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well, I played Hobbit quite a bit this past week.
Things that I love:
Software, software and more software. From the rules, call outs, animations. They are well done. Excellent work all around on everything software related.
Graphics both in cabinet and playfield are very nice as well.
Things I greatly dislike.
Playfield design. I really hate it. From the lock buttons that divert your balls path, to the wide open empty space of nothing. The useless 3rd flipper and the mini screen that seems more out of place than anything else. The gameplay from the design overshadows the fantastic software associated with it. So much so, that I cannot look past it enough to enjoy the software. And this is coming from someone who owns LOTR mainly because of the software. The layout and toys on LOTR are boring. The software makes the entire game. But with hobbit, there are so many annoying factors of the layout, that the software (as amazing as it is) cannot save it enough for me. I really wish it would have, as I was hoping to pair it up with my LOTR someday even on the secondary market.

Balrog is perhaps the greatest bash toy of all time and you're calling LOTR's layout and toys boring? LOTR is famous for its combination of shots and code. Not just one over the other.

2 months later
#368 8 years ago
Quoted from KerryD:

I can't wait to see/play this at Expo! This may have already been noted by someone else, so apologies if I missed it, but I noticed the wireforms seem to have that hammered metal look as well.
Untitled.png

They do! I'm just amazed by this pin. I know the year delay has sucked but it's literally resulted in a pin that's 10x better than the one shown at expo. Trust me guys, the Smaug art is probably the nicest cabinet art I've seen. The quality, the glossiness, the detail...amazing. JJP is such a bag of mixed emotions, but in the end, it WILL be worth it. All of us will have a hard time NOT wanting this pin. For us LOTR owners, I think purchase is inevitable.

#373 8 years ago

Oh Lowepg you just make yourself look stupid by down voting positive things I say.

#464 8 years ago

I never got to play this pin. Huge crowds all weekend. But come on Jack, bring more than 1 pin to Expo! Here's a breakdown of the hot pins and how many they had:

GOT LE: 1
GOT PRO: 7-10 (not sure exactly, but there were a lot)
TBL: 3
Kiss: 4
Lexi Light Speed: 2
Full Throttle: 3
Hobbit: 1
WOZ: 2

It seemed that 3 was the magic number to keep a decent line moving. Stern really showed up in full force and had GOT's everywhere. Thank you Stern. It was the pin everyone wanted to play and they made sure you could. Jack, come on now! You can't just bring one game to shows like this. Maybe you want the crowd, but TBL was getting 10x more people on it and let's face it, it's gonna be a race to take people's 8K soon and you want as many people on your machine as possible.

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It is my understanding that they didn't have any more to bring. The other copies are going through UL testing. Sometimes getting the game released is more important than the show.

Where does UL testing take place? Because even when I went to Jack's open house at JJP, just one Hobbit out. I wish he brought more. Seeing more prototypes going gives buyers more faith the final thing is right around the corner.

1 month later
#789 8 years ago

Hope it ships soon. I don't belive in the whole "the wait will be worth it" belief. I've heard great people who love pinball suffer for 3 years. May their pain end soon!

#792 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even though I backed out of my preorder a while back I think the wait will be worth it for those who have been patiently waiting. For the price the game is going to offer a lot not just in terms of features but in code, video, and audio work.
When your buying a pin at the $7k+ level the amount of work put into the games code, video and audio plays heavily into that cost as those are the things that bring a pinball machine alive. The Hobbit looks like its going to have the most code, video and audio work ever put into a pinball machine, yes maybe even more than WOZ which as of today is the best code supported pinball machine of all time. So when people compare GOT premium / LE to The Hobbit the amount of effort put into both games code, video and audio work needs to be taken into account and when it comes to those area's Stern isn't even close to JJP in terms of the level of effort.

Perhaps. But Johnny come lately can just find a distributor and cut the line. The wait is never worth it.

#889 8 years ago

Sad to think it may be a year or two before all pre orders are filled. 5 year wait for one machine is silly.

#940 8 years ago

Game will be fine. By the time it ships nobody will care much, they will just be happy owners got thier pins. Owners will make claims like it was worth the wait. One person will get a broken pin and start hell. It's the same cycle all over again.

#990 8 years ago

Any wagers going on?

#991 8 years ago

That's what she said

#998 8 years ago

I just wish Jack would stop posing for photos. The only photo people want to see him posing in front of is a FINISHED about TO SHIP pin. Cargument coming!!!!!

In the auto industry, we celebrate the first car MADE. We don't take photos with each part as it comes in smiling...especially if that car is delayed and people are pissed.

Just saying Jack...nobody doubts these will eventually get made...stop celebrating parts and start building pins!

#1073 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow. I post a reply about a good deal on the films and a comment about how much they meant to my Uncle and I and you act like that? I'm not surprised.
Here's a good book for you and the other JJP trolls.
Capture.JPG

He's just joking. This is pinside, remember?

#1090 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Did I mention my sterns have broken down way more than my Hobbit............ Discuss

You have a Hobbit? Enlighten us. How's your Magic Girl shooting?

#1094 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Do I get $30 if I receive a hobbit through a distributor or does the distributor receive the $30?

You get it. With a stick of butter.

#1096 8 years ago

Land o Lakes

#1159 8 years ago

What are people expectimg today? A photo of Hobbit on the line and news that the first game will ship this week?

#1187 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hobbit unveiling party.
LTG : )

How many times can this pin be unveiled? We've been starring at the final version forever! The only unveiling people want to see now is them pulling it out of a box in their game room.

#1214 8 years ago

A Hobbit machine ships exactly when it intends to.

#1322 8 years ago

Do people think this is me?

1 week later
#1419 8 years ago

Jack should be charging more. Plain and simple. But he can't with his fucked up model of making people wait 3 years. You can have the hobbit today for 10k and it would fly off the shelves.

#1543 8 years ago

phew 2016

#1580 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Weird ... I got a Hobbit Update email from JJP today.
I've never subscribed, or even emailed or spoken to anyone at JJP. Ever. How they got my email address, I don't know.
Anyway, I read the email. Who says spam doesn't work ..
rd

Me too.

#1581 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And my money's on "no." Remember how quickly WOZ sold out? The original 1500 LEs still aren't sold out yet. (And yes...I know some people switched over to an SE, but they still weren't even sold out at this time last year.)

This shouldn't be a surprise. I'd be worried if a machine at this price point sold out knowing the delays to expect. Also these aren't real LE's at all. 1,500 does not seem limited at all and you don't get much extra.

#1652 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I really could care less if the studios made $1 billion off of one film or $3 billion off of 3 films. 3 films, even extended editions (which I recently bought) is more Middle Earth from Peter Jackson and that's good news in my eyes. Sure some scenes were ridiculous and the films overall are certainly not as good as the LOTR films but they are still enjoyable.
Personally I think Peter Jackson got in the way of himself in the same way George Lucas did with episodes 1-3. Peter shot the original LOTR films on actual film, placed an emphasis on using miniatures, used a lot of extra's that were fully decked out in costumes for battle scenes, and used CGI to compliment the practical effects work. In the Hobbit the complete opposite occurred. The films were shot digitally using two cameras shooting in 3D at 48fps (saw each film that way, couldn't stand it), less costumed extra's were used due to CGI and overall the films had much more CGI in them compared to the LOTR films which is my opinion didn't make them as believable.

"Let's watch LOTR" - something you will hear for all eternity.
"Let's watch The Hobbit" - something you will never hear.

#1654 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Let's watch The Hobbit.

You don't mean it!!!!

#1678 8 years ago

even the guy who directed the hobbit felt they were a mess compared to LOTR. Didn't LOTR win best picture? Hobbit?

#1683 8 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I put in a order for an LE today. Jen wrote me almost right away to let me know I would be looking at a May/June ship date.

May/June 2017.

#1693 8 years ago

When you miss your ship date by 2 years, you can't ask a thread to stay on track. After a year delay, it's total shit show time with JJP threads. Comes with the territory.

#1695 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Whats even more disappointing is that the "line starting" was a false start with only a couple show rooms and hopefully LTG getting his machine.
No sign of mass production yet.

Anyone surprised? Jack's been pulling the wool over our eyes ever since he announced WOZ. People really thought they were gonna get their machines by XMAS. I'm not even sure what the hold up is at this point, but his business model is a complete joke. Pissed me off to think people have been paid in full for YEARS. That's crazy. Spooky buyers are just out $1,000 and won't have to pay another cent until their game is ready to ship.

What's the most annoying is Jack posing next to cabinets. Jack posing next to parts. Jack sending out emails saying production has begun...well...sort of....

The ONLY bit of news people want is this: PRODUCTION GAMES HAVE STARTED.

#1698 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Kaneda when did you buy your Hobbit?

2 years from now.

#1705 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

When you get rid of LOTR. Yeah right!

Only one Pin could dethrone my LOTR and that's Star Wars.

#1718 8 years ago

One does not have to be in on a Hobbit to comment. If this pin lives up to the hype, we may all be in on one. Problem with these update threads is the become more about sharing opinions about the game / delay vs legitimate updates, which are few and far between.

#1739 8 years ago

The Hobbit looks amazing, but I have to say, after watching about an hour of gameplay video, nothing about the shots, gameplay feels magical. There just don't seem to be interesting shots. Not sure how code will fix that.

#1742 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Well, i'm sorry you take my words as it. It was not The aim, by far. I love your job on The LOTR. This is The perfection to me, The best package of an awesome atmosphere and great rules in one pinball machine. You see it's not personnal.
The Hobbit has an awesome design, the best i ever seen, i love pop-up targets and i'm sure you Will do a great job, again.
I had just a wondering about this third flipper. You told me my question is stupid, that it is used to hit targets. Fine
i was hesitating to order an 9000€ pinball ( need to sell 2 pins for this as i m not wealthy). Thanks to make my decision easier.
Take care and merry Christmas

You got bitch slapped.

#1744 8 years ago

Design is for me artwork.
Anyway, Thanks for you kind words. Touching

Well if you meant art, I do agree. Post adjusted.

#1785 8 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

Is anyone concerned about the color of the flipper bats? The art work is beautiful and there are these bright yellow flippers. Maybe someone will come up with a mod to cover them up. A can of Krylon? They could have been black or gold or something.

LOTR flippers were yellow too. I changed mine to gold and they look 10x better.

#1788 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I can't think of a more wrong statement than this.

I don't know man, when I switched from yellow to gold, it tied in all of the bass colored ramps, rails and legs better. Also blends in with the art better too.

LOTR_(resized).jpgLOTR_(resized).jpg

image1_(resized).JPGimage1_(resized).JPG

#1808 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Well we could look at what's in the game already.
11 unprecedented full control drop targets
4 pop-up beast targets
4 ball diverters
2 magnets for catching/diverting balls
Player controlled kickback ball launch
31 totally different modes giving unprecedented breath
4 player selectable drop targets
Ring button with constantly changing game context sensitive uses
3 mini wizard modes
3 major wizard modes
1 super wizard mode
Industry leading graphics on 1080p monitor
Over 60 full rgb inserts
Bunch of white gi
...and we're arguing not buying the game because I refuse to spoil the upper flipper uses. A flipper. In a pinball game.

Dude you are my coding hero. LOTR is the best code ever and Hobbit is gonna be epic. Some on here won't be happy until the third flipper goes up their butt.

#1831 8 years ago

si seulement ce 3ieme flip en avait...on pourrait du coup les voir. Mais ne gâchons pas cet instant magique, non moins commercial il est vrai. Un bon flip est avant tout un flip qui se vend ( enfin ca dépend de quel côté on se place)
La bise.

Um, care to translate?

#1832 8 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

You can buy one right now. However, there's a line to get one. Customer production is starting in January, I guess people can question that, but the fact they are telling everyone this seems to be true. I was told my particular game would likely be done sometime in May/Jun based upon current time tables. Though they said this could change to be either sooner or later. I don't mind waiting a bit as I just put an order in, but I'm also not out all that money until my machine is actually ready.

The good news about Hobbit is the innovation it brings is still years ahead of what STERN is producing. There's no denying when you put a JJP machine next to a STERN it looks like a Mercedes next to a Chevy.

1 week later
#1855 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

So it's official: not a single production Hobbit was shipped in 2015.
And to think they were "contractually obligated" to release the pin when the last movie was released in December 2014.
Fail.

Yup, not a single one. Which means my offer of $20 to anyone who gets one in 2015 has cost me $0. I tried, I really did!

#1863 8 years ago

Nobody really defends JJP. Everyone is sick of the wait and delays. But there is a constant pattern where those without even a horse in the race cry the loudest. That's really annoying all around.

There's no denying JJP pins are gorgeous and innovative. Put a WOZ next to any Stern and just look at them. That being said, Jack is his own worst enemy. He's building highly innovative pins within a startup environment and it is what it is. We all know what the deal is. What's the point of coming on here and bitching when you don't even have one on order?

We all know that when Hobbit's start shipping, if you really want one, a distributor will get you one. Also some people who waited years will get one, decide it's not for them and flip it while it's hot. Not sure about you guys, but if I can drop 8K on a pin, I can also drop 9K to cut a line that's 2 years long.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread?tu=kaneda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.