image.jpeg
image.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
5105b4df-7dd7-4808-b9e0-af33ac2331aa.jpg
image.jpeg
Blame_canada.gif
dteeth.jpg
tar_sands18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chessiv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 8 years ago

It would have been a good idea to create a new thread with new news. The problem is there is zero new news so the same stuff is happening in this thread. Nice try. You just jumped the gun

2 weeks later
#155 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Hobbit:
As I've stated many times, which is in the message below. No more preorder pre pay with Pat's 3rd JJP game.

One can certainly argue semantics on any issue. Jack said a "small" (yet undefined) deposit would be required for Pat's game. I'm pretty sure I read that in the pintastic thread? So, until JJP produces a game with ZERO up-front money and you can pay cash for a pin and it's shipped immediately the pre-order model isn't done. How much you want to bet you're wrong? Again

2 weeks later
#243 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

ACDC does. Hit loops, ramp or drop targets x amount of times, start MB, hit the same shots again over and over again. POTC, hit ship x amount of times to sink it, starts MB, hit the same shot over and over again. Those rules can be fun but it gets monotonous after a while.

These are the rules for every pinball game ever, including Woz.

I think a truly great game is a combo of great shots with great software and when you combine the two they are stronger than the sum of their parts. LOTR for example; Balrog literally blocks your main shot, a great reason to bash him. Hit the same target three times and you open the shot back up. Plus when you hit him he glows and makes a cool roar sound. You get great feedback for hitting him. A purpose is served by hitting him and when he's destroyed you get your main shot back. The software says, hit hit target three times (at a very basic level.) But the combination of everything I mentioned makes it feel great.

So at it's core you bash a target X times. Not a very sexy rule when you think about it on that level but combined with everything I mentioned it is awesome. So software alone doesn't make an awesome pin IMO. Lyman wrote great software for The Dark Knight and IMO it doesn't save a spinning coffee can and a bridge that's nothing more than a teeter totter with no purpose.

The best pins have great software combined with great and meaningful shots IMO.

2 months later
#358 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For sure. The effort and quality that JJP puts into their games code is the best in the industry. People have been waiting years for the Hobbit but they won't have to wait years for high quality, deep and polished code.
We even have another huge WOZ update to look forward to thanks to JJP

Yeah you had better get great code after waiting three plus years for a machine to ship. Stern ships immediately and takes another year or two to get good code out if ever. Neither is really acceptable. iMO

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You know...they aren't just coding for WOZ

I want to be Able to pay for a machine and actually receive it immediately with excellent code. Too much to ask?

#394 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well then I must have misunderstood his question. It sounded like he was asking if I could pay for a machine and receive it immediately. Your answer is those two that may be able to do it now. In that case we may as well add JJP, because I could buy a WOZ now with excellent code. BUT it seemed to me that he was asking about skipping pre-orders to get there. And when they were announced neither Heighway or Spooky could do that. Glad to hear they have matured to the level that they are doing it now.

Definitely skipping pre-orders.

More directly thought Panzer said JJP's software process is far superior to Stern, as in you get great code when the game ships. That's faulty logic in the fact that JJP machines take an average of three years-ish to ship, ignoring preorder. Stern games three years after launch have updated code, not always though. Again, I don't like either solution. I waited to buy a TWD until recently when the new code came out. Was that a year after launch?? Code is pretty good. Then again there' WOF, Avengers and others. So yeah...

#560 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Stocking up on the Ignored User member post notifications. Keep them coming as with each and everyone Pinside becomes a much more informative site.

Good idea.

3 weeks later
#767 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I think the only major component we have not seen besides harness are all the boards?

Have we seen a ton of drop target banks?

1 week later
#975 8 years ago

Looks like he's going to kick out a few machines to try and calm the masses.

#984 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Cash isn't the issue now. I believe Jack is trying to build up his stock of WOZs as it doesn't appear they are going to run two lines. I think the Hobbits will be produced at a good pace once he commits to it fully. My guess is that will happen mid Jan once the holidays are over - but I'd love to be proven wrong and have them start earlier.

Is there any proof of this. I don't think we've seen any. Looks like the last batch of woz machines shipped a month ago was just that.

#1005 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Production started last week while Jack was at IAAPA. Did you miss the video that was posted ?
» YouTube video

So 40-50 machines should be coming off the line each week? That's production. Good if that's true and not another false promise.

#1014 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There was no getting ahead while JJP was out of money.
Now that financing has come in, JJP can get started ordering parts and building sub assemblies.
I'm not counting on seeing my game until this time next year. Anyone who thinks they are getting theirs anytime soon is being unrealistic.

You'll probably see one or two games shipped to certain people, like mnpinball, so they can say users have machines. I'm not sure you should expect much more though.

#1101 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

It seems sir you are a troll

I think troll is way overused here. There have only been a a few trolls I have ever seen. Mostly attention whores and assholes. Of course those two types are in the vast minority here but they sure are vocal =)

#1107 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Kaneda=Attention Whore
Me=Asshole
In case anybody needed an example.

You're neither. You fall in to the entertaining category.

#1146 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

According to Keith, it's code, not the layout that makes a great game.
You say Keith's code saved TSPP but his code couldn't save Woz's layout. You are suggesting layout is ultimately more important than code. This would contradict Keith's comments in a recent interview regarding layout vs rules. His coding for Woz's rules is deeper, more intricate, and more detailed than either LOTR and TSPP.
"Johnson: Lord of the Rings, which I programmed, is considered by many to be one of the best games, if not the best game ever made.
Honestly, the play field is a normal, simple fan play field. A fan play field is a game with only two flippers at the bottom of the play field, and a spray of shots laid out left to right with posts in between them...It was a great total package with an extremely hackneyed base play-field concept. "
The entire interview can be found at the link below:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/08/jersey-jacks-pinball-wizards-dissect-the-state-of-their-beloved-games/3/

A good game is a great balance of software and layout. TSPP, good layout. I didn't like the balance of the software. Meh. Batman dark night, not a good play field, good software. Meh. LOTR, great layout great software. I think a great game has both. MM, great layout and software.

#1192 8 years ago

Yeah. I think I mentioned last week he was getting one.

#1197 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Doesn't this guy own Pinball Madness? About 40 units are being made and sent to distributors only!!! This will help sell more hobbits to walk in customers. This is FACT. I won't see my hobbit til maybe next summer if I'm lucky.

Nope, he doesn't own anything. He is just the consumate pinball fanboi =)

What you're saying may be mostly true but Jason is just a user.

2 weeks later
#1364 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

What about 1001-5000 ?
This title will sell double of Woz.

Better pin no doubt. But the cost of this one will choke sales compared to woz.

#1396 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

True.
But nothing is stopping Jack from doing a Pro version "for the good of pinball" and selling a bunch more at a lesser cost.

If he could he would. I doubt you'll see it. Makes you wonder how many people who haven't purchased hobbit at the lower price will pay $8500 plus shipping for a new game.

#1397 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

How so ?
No upper playfields, no monkey mech, 2 less flippers, Less man hours to build Hobbit vs Woz.

What did you pay for your woz? 6k? I honestly don't remember. X number of hobbit are sold at 7500? Price to buy if you weren't on preorder is 8500+shipping. Not a lot of pinheads have that much to spend on or pin or are willing to do so. Simple economics. No slight against JJP.

#1403 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Standard Hobbit model is $8000 on the website. Stainless trim no shaker or invisiglass.
In comparison not much different than a Stern LE in pricing. Which I think were around $7500-7700 last one I bought. Star Trek LE and Walking Dead LE neither one had a shaker.

I clicked on the site and only saw the 8500 model. Stern only sells up to 500 le models? Sometimes has difficulty doing that. If stern could easily sell 1000 le at a 8k price point they would. That's why I don't think the hobbit will sell large volumes past the preorder. Again, great pin. If there was a cheaper version I would probably buy one. I won't spend 8k for any pin from anyone and I can afford to.

#1530 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I didn't see this was from 2 years ago. For a second I thought JJP had some real advancements.
An entire 2015 update thread with no updates in 2015.

There were a few 3 more months updates.

2 weeks later
#1882 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I have never had a single problem or issue with my WOZLE. In fact, 95% of the Sterns I've owned over the last 2 decades (probably 15-20) have been 50x more problematic than this WOZLE. Simply stating facts.

Well, 0 x 50 = 0. So Stern quality = JJP. I do think that is a fact.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chessiv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread?tu=chessiv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.