image.jpeg
image.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
5105b4df-7dd7-4808-b9e0-af33ac2331aa.jpg
image.jpeg
Blame_canada.gif
dteeth.jpg
tar_sands18.jpg
There are 1,911 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 39.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well, I played Hobbit quite a bit this past week.
Things that I love:
Software, software and more software. From the rules, call outs, animations. They are well done. Excellent work all around on everything software related.
Graphics both in cabinet and playfield are very nice as well.
Things I greatly dislike.
Playfield design. I really hate it. From the lock buttons that divert your balls path, to the wide open empty space of nothing. The useless 3rd flipper and the mini screen that seems more out of place than anything else. The gameplay from the design overshadows the fantastic software associated with it. So much so, that I cannot look past it enough to enjoy the software. And this is coming from someone who owns LOTR mainly because of the software. The layout and toys on LOTR are boring. The software makes the entire game. But with hobbit, there are so many annoying factors of the layout, that the software (as amazing as it is) cannot save it enough for me. I really wish it would have, as I was hoping to pair it up with my LOTR someday even on the secondary market.

Balrog is perhaps the greatest bash toy of all time and you're calling LOTR's layout and toys boring? LOTR is famous for its combination of shots and code. Not just one over the other.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Balrog is perhaps the greatest bash toy of all time and you're calling LOTR's layout and toys boring? LOTR is famous for its combination of shots and code. Not just one over the other.

Neo has a really diverse collection, so his feel for the perfect game might not be that main stream. Take out a few words of his review and you have a review of AFM and MM..

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Balrog is perhaps the greatest bash toy of all time and you're calling LOTR's layout and toys boring?

Every shot in all of Pinball is boring. I don't care what game or what layout, the shots get boring very quickly. It is always the code that changes a boring shot into an exciting shot. The sounds, the music, and the code. For instance... "Gollum has the ring". Oh, have LOTR say that and my tension goes through the roof. Or have Frodo start counting down from 10, and you need the wandering shot in G vs S, and you desperately want the ball but it is up in the lanes... 3... 2... ONE.... Did you make it or miss? That is where it becomes fun.

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Every shot in all of Pinball is boring.

There is a lot of truth to that. Not that pinball is boring, but it is a combination of elements that make it fun.

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

if STERN will bring out a GOT game before The Hobbit production starts and I like what I see there, I am out of the hobbit.

This scenario can't be good for JJP. Stern will announce a new game next month (week after Labor day historically), with Pros delivered that month and LEs the month after. GOT may be a similar enough theme, certainly a hot current one, and the instant gratification of having your game in weeks, not months.

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Every shot in all of Pinball is boring. I don't care what game or what layout, the shots get boring very quickly. It is always the code that changes a boring shot into an exciting shot. The sounds, the music, and the code. For instance... "Gollum has the ring". Oh, have LOTR say that and my tension goes through the roof. Or have Frodo start counting down from 10, and you need the wandering shot in G vs S, and you desperately want the ball but it is up in the lanes... 3... 2... ONE.... Did you make it or miss? That is where it becomes fun.

You have said it so well.

#207 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The balrog looks ok, but honestly, he doesn't do anything more than the Genie in TOTAN, swings out for a multiball, does his thing and goes back. Hardly the best bash toy. The trunk in TOM does more and more impressive. THe Castle in MM is much more impressive. The ship in POTC rocks, moves and sinks revealing another path to shoot. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like POTC, or that impressed by MM. I rank LOTR above all those games. But I know where the strengths and weaknesses are in the games I love.

#208 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I couldn't agree with this more. Part of what makes a shot "satisfying" is the code behind successfully making that shot when it really counts. A flashing light and a "ding" are quite a bit less exciting (for me at least) than a series of well orchestrated call outs coupled with the light show on the playfield and what's being depicted on the display. There's nothing better than feeling that sense of urgency, regaining control of the ball, and successfully making that shot when the game is on the line--and I think that all comes from really great code.

#209 8 years ago

Code *and* theme are 90% of the game for me.

IMO, Congo has one of the best layouts in pinball - it has a ton of shots that are well laid out. But yet it's a B tier game that brings about 1/2 as much as an A tier game from the same era. Why? The theme/art/music are not the most exciting.

A game that has a similar playfield layout to Congo is Tron - one of the best games ever made. Unlike Congo, the theme/art/music (and code) are top notch...and therefore make an exceptional game.

So no - the layout of Hobbit doesn't concern me. Pop up bash toys and drop targets are two of my favorite mechs in pinball - and the Hobbit has more of those than any pin I've come across. Couple that with a great theme, great sounds, great art and great code...and we should have a winner!

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You have said it so well.

I taught him everything he knows.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Unlike Congo, the theme/art/music (and code) are top notch...and therefore make an exceptional game.

I LOVE the music in Congo. Remember that Congo came out around the same period as many other games that still had that awful MIDI-sounding music. Congo has a lush orchestral track with those thumping drums. Through great speakers, I think it's one of the best-sounding games of the 90s.

Tron's techno music gets on my nerves after about 10 minutes...but only when I'm watching somebody else play. When I'm playing, I'm too busy trying not to drain on that drain monster of a game.

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The balrog looks ok, but honestly, he doesn't do anything more than the Genie in TOTAN, swings out for a multiball, does his thing and goes back. Hardly the best bash toy. The trunk in TOM does more and more impressive. THe Castle in MM is much more impressive. The ship in POTC rocks, moves and sinks revealing another path to shoot. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like POTC, or that impressed by MM. I rank LOTR above all those games. But I know where the strengths and weaknesses are in the games I love.

What about layout? Curious to know what you like in that regard. LOTR is one of my favorites - I think the overall package is good, I like the layout and the toys. I usually like a layout with some good variety, which is one of the negatives of Hobbit as you pointed out. I agree, playfield is plain. Seems they're putting a lot of stock in the popups. Even with lots of different modes, I'm skeptical about having to rely on the popups a lot. Plus, after WD already came out, the popups aren't as much as a novelty to me.

#213 8 years ago

layout as in LOTR? I don't care for the layout only, because I can think of about 20 other games that use practically the same layout. 4 of which I have in my collection. Would have like something original instead of the boring fan pattern. But even with it being a cookie cutter fan pattern, it's still a top 5 game for me.

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

layout as in LOTR? I don't care for the layout only, because I can think of about 20 other games that use practically the same layout. 4 of which I have in my collection. Would have like something original instead of the boring fan pattern. But even with it being a cookie cutter fan pattern, it's still a top 5 game for me.

I meant what are some games that you like the layout on? That's what I'm curious about. Also, now that you mention it, I'd be curious which you think have the similar LOTR layout. Not challenging you on that: maybe I'll learn of some more games I'm unfamiliar with that I might need to play. I'm probably much less experienced, but the LOTR layout didn't strike me as a standard fan layout. I guess that's a subjective thing. I thought there was enough differences in many of the LOTR shots that made it feel unique to me as a whole: I like the deep left shots, center shot, left side VUK, and right ball lock shots.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

if STERN will bring out a GOT game before The Hobbit production starts and I like what I see there, I am out of the hobbit. No matter how much I like Keith programming. The "End of next month" updates are annoying me really.

This is exactly why I bailed a couple months ago. Tired of vague production start dates & months of lacking communication from JJP, combined with the fact I was becoming less enthused with the theme & shot layout of TH. Coding & sound will be the saving grace of TH, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with the way I feel about the overall layout. Bottom line is that they took too long to bring it to market. JJP also kept raising the price of TH to make pre-order buyers feel like they're getting a great deal, but that didn't stop me from bailing either.

If Stern releases GOT this fall, there's no denying it's going to effect Hobbit sales. Ritchie's first pin in two years, with Sheets coding, and possible LCD implementation & with a highly desirable similar theme. Glad I beat the refund rush & I'm not tied down to any company right now. Gives me options & a big wad of cash to play with. I'm excited what the coming months will bring

#216 8 years ago

LOTR is fun because of the modes and multiballs. Single-ball play is all about setting up for the next multiball and cashing in rewards that you earned in the last one.

The layout is generic but functional, and bits like the way the loops and path of the dead work get taken for granted but are quite clever.

The balrog toy IS boring. But the fellowship multiball is great.

The multiball rules in that game are a great example of how pinball 'comes together' - shooting one ball on a Lotr whitewood with no sound would be boring. But add two balls, music, a combo system, and Christopher Lee shouting, "To War!" and baby, you got yourself a delicious stew.

Hobbit on the other hand has a unique layout. May take longer to find the hook, or the perfect stack, or the best way to move through the game. I'm still confident it'll end up a great game, but then again Im a big fan of WoZ as well and not everyone is.

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from generica:

baby, you got yourself a delicious stew

stew.jpgstew.jpg

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is exactly why I bailed a couple months ago. Tired of vague production start dates & months of lacking communication from JJP, combined with the fact I was becoming less enthused with the theme & shot layout of TH. Coding & sound will be the saving grace of TH, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with the way I feel about the overall layout. Bottom line is that they took too long to bring it to market. JJP also kept raising the price of TH to make pre-order buyers feel like they're getting a great deal, but that didn't stop me from bailing either.
If Stern releases GOT this fall, there's no denying it's going to effect Hobbit sales. Ritchie's first pin in two years, with Sheets coding, and possible LCD implementation & with a highly desirable similar theme. Glad I beat the refund rush & I'm not tied down to any company right now. Gives me options & a big wad of cash to play with. I'm excited what the coming months will bring

I have no problem to wait, if I see progress in the development to make the game better. Month ago it was announced, this is the final product. Now I feel like a donkey running after the carrot. And no matter what Jack tells us, waiting isn't fun! They told us if we want a good product, we have to wait. Ok. So I will judge the final product quality when I will get the game. After this long wait I hope I will see something in return for the long wait that let me think the wait was worth it. My WoZ was good, thats why I orderd The Hobbit. But I am not a stupid donkey. If an other company will show me a carrot that I like and now that I can get it right in time. I will take that one.
As much as I hope that JJP will succeed, it's a dangerous way they are going. A production start end september means no Hobbit for most of us 2015. And I think Stern is cooking up something great to counter the hobbit.

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I have no problem to wait, if I see progress in the development to make the game better. Month ago it was announced, this is the final product. Now I feel like a donkey running after the carrot. And no matter what Jack tells us, waiting isn't fun! They told us if we want a good product, we have to wait. Ok. So I will judge the final product quality when I will get the game. After this long wait I hope I will see something in return for the long wait that let me think the wait was worth it. My WoZ was good, thats why I orderd The Hobbit. But I am not a stupid donkey. If an other company will show me a carrot that I like and now that I can get it right in time. I will take that one.
As much as I hope that JJP will succeed, it's a dangerous way they are going. A production start end september means no Hobbit for most of us 2015. And I think Stern is cooking up something great to counter the hobbit.

We're on the same page.

I got impatient & bailed, where multiple factors other than wait times led to that decision. I wish JJP all the best, but those rising prices & increasing delay times aren't helping build the fan base. If JJP had released TH in January like they were supposed too, then this wad of cash wouldn't be sitting in my pocket right now.

There's plenty of other new "fresh carrots" coming this Fall. I think Stern is ready to take the training wheels off their Spike system on release #3 & go all out. If that turns out to be GOT, then I think we're all in for a real treat. TH is becoming old news, at least for me. I've seen the all gameplay videos & analyzed the layout to the point of exhaustion for the last two years. The excitement just isn't there for me anymore. Just being honest.

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The layout and toys on LOTR are boring

What?

#221 8 years ago

Why do folks think that "Game of Thrones" is the end all/be all cure for pinball? It takes a lot more to produce a successful and highly regarded pintable than the theme. Yet everyone thinks GOT is the Second Coming. This is the reason I would never buy a WOZ - it may be the greatest playing pin ever but I just can't get past the theme. It takes a complete package and you can't judge that until the game is produced. Until then it is all meaningless conjecture.

#222 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Why do folks think that "Game of Thrones" is the end all/be all cure for pinball?

Because it's going to be the bestest ever! We're finally going to get the dragon that flies over the playfield breathing fire and spitting out pinballs that was so lacking in TH.

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

This is the reason I would never buy a WOZ - it may be the greatest playing pin ever but I just can't get past the theme.

If some people won't buy a game because of the theme, then I don't think the opposite is that difficult to understand.

Not me, but I do get the logic.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Why do folks think that "Game of Thrones" is the end all/be all cure for pinball? It takes a lot more to produce a successful and highly regarded pintable than the theme. Yet everyone thinks GOT is the Second Coming. This is the reason I would never buy a WOZ - it may be the greatest playing pin ever but I just can't get past the theme. It takes a complete package and you can't judge that until the game is produced. Until then it is all meaningless conjecture.

I agree with you (but I love my WOZ...).

Anyway, the reason for all the irrational exuberance:
-GoT is a hot, hot, license right now.
-Stern has had some experience at this point with the new platform, so maybe they're ready to push the envelope.
-People frustrated awaiting fantasy-licensed Hobbit want to see something fantasy-themed, to see if it scratches that itch.
-SR design (confirm?).
-Stern's first LCD definite possibility.

But who knows? It could be that it comes out at same time as Hobbit, and Hobbit blows GoT away? Hot licenses make it hard to predict, because, as much as some people will hate this, the truth is that the presentation of the license might be more important than gameplay for sales volume. And so jjp's lcd might therefore be the deciding factor (assuming stern doesn't have a monster lcd presentation itself).

But then again, stern might have some radical ways of presenting GoT license footage that no ones ever done before, and that would sell alot of people without ever seeing the playfield.

Sad but true.

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Why do folks think that "Game of Thrones" is the end all/be all cure for pinball?

For the reasons I stated...

1) It's a high demand theme with millions of fans, high sales potential
2) Designed by Steve Ritchie, arguably the best designer in pinball
3) Ruleset by Steve Lyman, arguably the best programmer in pinball
4) This duo's teamups already have proven track record of awesomeness (AC/DC, Spider-Man)
5) They've had over 2 years to come up with an innovative design & fully utilize the Spike platform
6) Rumored to have Sterns first LCD screen, ditching the DMD, among other things

I haven't heard anyone saying GOT is the end all of pinball. It hasn't even been revealed yet. But for the reasons stated above, a lot of people are very interested in this title. It's the same type of Fantasy/Dragon/Magic theme as TH, and they will both be coming to market at the same time this Fall, in direct competition. Its going to be an exciting time for pinball in the coming months.

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Exaggerate much?

Please link the posts where people are suggesting GoT is the "end all/be all cure" for pinball?

Also, what exactly ails pinball that it needs a "cure"?

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

HP Good to have options but if you wanna buy back into The Hobbit it is gonna be a more expensive. Why not just wait it out and then get a refund or sell your preorder spot for a bit of a profit if you wanna go GoT?

#228 8 years ago

I am afraid a Stern GOT pin will be a nightmare codewise.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Quoted from Plungemaster:

I am afraid a Stern GOT pin will be a nightmare codewise.

Not with Steve Lyman on the job!

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

HP Good to have options but if you wanna buy back into The Hobbit it is gonna be a more expensive. Why not just wait it out and then get a refund or sell your preorder spot for a bit of a profit if you wanna go GoT?

ooooooooorrrrrrrrr. how about the option, just wait it out and buy on the secondary market. People around here seem to forget, but back in the day, most people didn't buy NIB anything. We waited and bought them from operators for a fraction of what they were new. Same holds true. Wait it out. If you like it down the road, there will not be a shortage of them. Buy secondary and save yourself some money. 98% of the time, it's cheaper used. As for the 2 % chance it more expensive. I'd take my chances. Odds are greatly in your favor that you will save 100's if not even 1000's depending on how long you wait or wait for the right deal at the right time.

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Because it's going to be the bestest ever! We're finally going to get the dragon that flies over the playfield breathing fire and spitting out pinballs that was so lacking in TH.

Haha. Yup. I can definitely can see Stern putting a very interactive toy like that in GOT...no reason it would just be a stationary dragon that doesn't move, light up, etc. oh wait...

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

For the reasons I stated...
1) It's a high demand theme with millions of fans, high sales potential
2) Designed by Steve Ritchie, arguably the best designer in pinball
4) This duo's teamups already have proven track record of awesomeness (AC/DC, Spider-Man)
5) They've had over 2 years to come up with an innovative design & fully utilize the Spike platform
6) Rumored to have Sterns first LCD screen, ditching the DMD, among other things
I haven't heard anyone saying GOT is the end all of pinball. It hasn't even been revealed yet. But for the reasons stated above, a lot of people are very interested in this title. It's the same type of Fantasy/Dragon/Magic theme as TH, and they will both be coming to market at the same time this Fall, in direct competition. Its going to be an exciting time for pinball in the coming months.

Lyman is an amazing programmer but for quest / story based rulesets no one does it better then Keith Johnson.

GOT needs a shot progression based ruleset (like LOTR and ST) where the player starts modes, can complete them, earn rewards for doing so and advance to a mid and final wizard mode. Multiballs need to be similar and tell a story rather then having a player hit the same ramp or loop 10 times for a jackpot. Rules in TH, WOZ and the TSPP make a player use the entire playfield during certain modes.

Example of a Keith Johnson MB with interesting and unique rules. Rescue MB in WOZ requires a player to light the monkey toy, hit the magnet from the right orbit so that the monkey toy can pickup the ball and lock it in the castle mini playfield, player then needs to access the mini playfield, hit the standup targets to spell rescue, bash the castle mini playfield door to open it and finally hit the shot behind the door. Oh, the player can also spell rescue multiple times if they choose to, a risk but it locks additional balls for the mode. That is just to start the MB! Then there's the rules during the MB that has players hitting various flashing shots on the playfield along side cool animations and callouts.

Now that's a quest based multiball. Hitting the same ramp or shot 10 times to start a multiball and then hitting the same ramp or shot 10 times during a multiball for jackpots isn't. That is nowhere near as interesting. Expect to see the same level of detail in modes in TH. That's what Stern has to compete with if they are making GOT. Oh, there's also the sound work by David Thiel, additional code work by Ted Estes and animations created by JP playing alongside modes in TH. Stern needs to take it to a whole new level to match the quality and uniqueness that the ruleset TH will have. If they can I see GOT being an incredible pin.

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now that's a quest based multiball. Hitting the same ramp or shot 10 times to start a multiball and then hitting the same ramp or shot 10 times during a multiball for jackpots isn't.

What games have this?

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What games have this?

ACDC does. Hit loops, ramp or drop targets x amount of times, start MB, hit the same shots again over and over again. POTC, hit ship x amount of times to sink it, starts MB, hit the same shot over and over again. Those rules can be fun but it gets monotonous after a while. I don't find rules such as those as interesting as say Fellowship MB that has a player hitting all shots on a playfield to collect characters, start MB, then hit the Balrog and then a different shot to get a player across the bridge. Stern can definitely make rules like that as we have seen those elements in rules in XMEN, ST and TWD.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

ACDC for example. Hit loops, ramp or drop targets x amount of times, start MB, hit the same shots again over and over again. POTC, hit ship x amount of times to sink it, starts MB, hit the same shot over and over again. Those rules can be fun but it gets monotonous after a while. I don't find rules such as those as interesting as say Fellowship MB that has a player hitting all shots on a playfield to collect characters, start MB, then hit the Balrog and then a different shot to get a player across the bridge.

Panzer, I'm not sure that is a good example. AC/DC is a great game. Yes, it is very different than WOZ, but I'm glad there are many different styles of games. Not everyone wants the complexity of layers that WOZ provides.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Panzer, I'm not sure that is a good example. AC/DC is a great game. Yes, it is very different than WOZ, but I'm glad there are many different styles of games. Not everyone wants the complexity of layers that WOZ provides.

I agree. Same here, it's nice having variety. I don't think a mission based ruleset would have worked for ACDC and that it being more points focused rather then progression based works well for it. I'm just hoping that GOT does have a deep story based ruleset as I think that would fit it well. If that type of ruleset was in POTC I think the game would be ranked significantly higher.

I don't think GOT needs to have a crazy number of modes either. From TH videos I've seen at least some of the modes are bashing one of the pop ups or hitting loops while others have you hitting a number of shots. It sounds like some modes in TH will be more basic then others based on what we've seen so far.

Personally I think it would be awesome if Stern did 3 modes for each GOT season, shot progression based with story animations, a multiball for each season representing the main event of the season, and a mid and final wizard mode.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From TH videos I've seen at least some of the modes are bashing one of the pop ups or hitting loops while others have you hitting a number of shots. It sounds like some modes in TH will be more basic then others based on what we've seen so far.

I don't recall the popups being used in modes, but I might be wrong. They are used extensively as hurryup shots, and I think they were in Multiball as well. But with 31 of them, yes, some modes will be more basic than others. Just like on WOZ it is easier to start ECMB than Rescue. It's what Keith does. He has the uncanny ability to make a game accessible and complex at the same time. Some easy goals that are satisfying, some medium goals that make you play well to get there, and an ending mode that you will struggle for years to get to. Brilliant stuff.

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't recall the popups being used in modes, but I might be wrong. They are used extensively as hurryup shots, and I think they were in Multiball as well. But with 31 of them, yes, some modes will be more basic than others. Just like on WOZ it is easier to start ECMB than Rescue. It's what Keith does. He has the uncanny ability to make a game accessible and complex at the same time. Some easy goals that are satisfying, some medium goals that make you play well to get there, and an ending mode that you will struggle for years to get to. Brilliant stuff.

i can attest to this as i have never seen Valinor and can't even get past the the 3rd Alien Invasion lock on TSPP. I have had my WOZLE for 20 months now and still have not collected 1 gem, although i have been trying to stack modes together to see how they play and not really be going for the gems.

I am eagerly awaiting The Hobbit release and expect i will be playing it for years to come also.

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That's a great way of looking at it. I'm sure if all 31 modes were as deep as the main 6 story modes in LOTR no one would ever complete the game, haha. It's good to have some easier modes in there as well like ya said.

It sounds like there will be a variety of different modes in TH which is welcoming. When I mentioned ACDC earlier I should have said that I think the modes lack variety. There's 12 songs in the game representing 12 modes but they all play pretty much the same, same with the multiballs and that just doesn't hold my attention after a while. I know there's a ton of scoring formulas behind each song but it's not something I think about while playing the game.

Oh, the Hobbit mode I've seen so far that uses the pop ups, outside of hurry ups, is a bash the spiders mode.

#240 8 years ago

Just hearing you guys talk about how deep TH is makes me want to play one badly.

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Just hearing you guys talk about how deep TH is makes me want to play one badly.

I just wish JJP would release the rule set and explain the modes more so we can really see just how deep the game is.

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I just wish JJP would release the rule set and explain the modes more so we can really see just how deep the game is.

Same here. Hopefully they are working on it. Information regarding WOZ seemed to be released much faster then it has been for The Hobbit.

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

ACDC does. Hit loops, ramp or drop targets x amount of times, start MB, hit the same shots again over and over again. POTC, hit ship x amount of times to sink it, starts MB, hit the same shot over and over again. Those rules can be fun but it gets monotonous after a while.

These are the rules for every pinball game ever, including Woz.

I think a truly great game is a combo of great shots with great software and when you combine the two they are stronger than the sum of their parts. LOTR for example; Balrog literally blocks your main shot, a great reason to bash him. Hit the same target three times and you open the shot back up. Plus when you hit him he glows and makes a cool roar sound. You get great feedback for hitting him. A purpose is served by hitting him and when he's destroyed you get your main shot back. The software says, hit hit target three times (at a very basic level.) But the combination of everything I mentioned makes it feel great.

So at it's core you bash a target X times. Not a very sexy rule when you think about it on that level but combined with everything I mentioned it is awesome. So software alone doesn't make an awesome pin IMO. Lyman wrote great software for The Dark Knight and IMO it doesn't save a spinning coffee can and a bridge that's nothing more than a teeter totter with no purpose.

The best pins have great software combined with great and meaningful shots IMO.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lyman is an amazing programmer but for quest / story based rulesets no one does it better then Keith Johnson.

You're absolutely right. Lyman is the master of risk vs reward for high scoring tournament based gameplay, and Johnson is the master of incredibly deep rulesets & story based gameplay. They are both the best in the industry at what they do, and each type of gameplay is equally compelling. No collection is complete without at least one pin from each of these programmers.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I like a bit of discovery first. Playing it at the Pintastic show was a blast when I realized there was more code in it than I thought there was. I was expecting the proverbial "box of lights", but found cool stuff in it.

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But with hobbit, there are so many annoying factors of the layout, that the software (as amazing as it is) cannot save it enough for me.

Not True.jpgNot True.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I hope you arn't setup for disappointment due to gameplay. I was anxious to play one as well, my hopes weren't as high, since I got to play it very early on. But then, there was hope things were going to be changed and improved. While some things were, overall design was not.

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

ooooooooorrrrrrrrr. how about the option, just wait it out and buy on the secondary market. People around here seem to forget, but back in the day, most people didn't buy NIB anything. We waited and bought them from operators for a fraction of what they were new. Same holds true. Wait it out. If you like it down the road, there will not be a shortage of them. Buy secondary and save yourself some money. 98% of the time, it's cheaper used. As for the 2 % chance it more expensive. I'd take my chances. Odds are greatly in your favor that you will save 100's if not even 1000's depending on how long you wait or wait for the right deal at the right time.

Thank you for saving me the effort & stating the obvious. If I want a Hobbit down the road, it will be a used pin purchase after playing it first & then making that decision. But as I stated before, I find the layout & Hobbit theme less appealing than I used too.

#249 8 years ago

might be obvious to some, but the way this group talks. I think they either forgot, or didn't realize that pinball used to be primarily bought on the secondary market.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

might be obvious to some, but the way this group talks. I think they either forgot, or didn't realize that pinball used to be primarily bought on the secondary market.

Try to buy a AC/DC or Tron LE.
I preorder games I think I will like. There is no chance to get one in the best version if you don't preorder it. Perhaps it's something else in the US market.
And even if I had played games on location I couldn't say if I would like them at home.
For now I have 2 Keeper. AC/DC and Metallica. I got both NIB and I am very happy with both of them. I have a WOZ and will sell it this weekend. It's an awesome game and I like everything about it, only the theme let me sell it.
I had to wait for all of these games. With the STERN games I had to wait a long time for the code to be finished. I was angry with STERN cause they gave us no info about the progress in the development of the code. Waiting isn't a bad thing if there are news of progress. But silence is an asskick for every customer who is waiting.
Now it's the same with JJP.
There are no real news! The game is finished, but production won't start.
Why don't they fill this waiting time with news about the code? The hobbit is still a mystery for me , how will it play? What is planned with the upper right flipper..........there are so many thing we all want to now here. Waiting time can be frustrating or exciting. And perhaps it is just me, but I feel the last few month are more frustrating, when the only news we get are more delays with recriminations to the suppliers.
I don't believe they are so afraid about that we would criticize every detail they announce so everybody has taken a vow of silence.
At the end of this month they have a open house at JJP. If we will hear the same old stories about the game development we heard over and over with no real news, I will give up.
Cause I think if we are so close to the finish line, so near to the production, we should hear and see way more new infos about this game. I can't remember if it was the same with WOZ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,911 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 39.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.