image.jpeg
image.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
5105b4df-7dd7-4808-b9e0-af33ac2331aa.jpg
image.jpeg
Blame_canada.gif
dteeth.jpg
tar_sands18.jpg
There are 1,911 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 39.
#1651 8 years ago

The LOTR movies are different from the book. I still love the movies and the pin. I have not even see movie 3 of TH yet. Yes, sometimes the separation of the story from the book or the action sequences from reality are overboard.

But I would rather watch these movies and play these pins and not be like some of these guys ^^^ waiting for a "Grey's Anatomy" pin or whatever chick flick they are into these days.

#1652 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I really could care less if the studios made $1 billion off of one film or $3 billion off of 3 films. 3 films, even extended editions (which I recently bought) is more Middle Earth from Peter Jackson and that's good news in my eyes. Sure some scenes were ridiculous and the films overall are certainly not as good as the LOTR films but they are still enjoyable.
Personally I think Peter Jackson got in the way of himself in the same way George Lucas did with episodes 1-3. Peter shot the original LOTR films on actual film, placed an emphasis on using miniatures, used a lot of extra's that were fully decked out in costumes for battle scenes, and used CGI to compliment the practical effects work. In the Hobbit the complete opposite occurred. The films were shot digitally using two cameras shooting in 3D at 48fps (saw each film that way, couldn't stand it), less costumed extra's were used due to CGI and overall the films had much more CGI in them compared to the LOTR films which is my opinion didn't make them as believable.

"Let's watch LOTR" - something you will hear for all eternity.
"Let's watch The Hobbit" - something you will never hear.

#1653 8 years ago

Let's watch The Hobbit.

#1654 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Let's watch The Hobbit.

You don't mean it!!!!

#1655 8 years ago

Lets watch Hobbit, I mean it!

#1656 8 years ago

Let's Hob the Watchit!

#1657 8 years ago

Going to watch all 3 Hobbits with the kids this Christmas vacation and then watch Christmas Vacation.... Kids, let's watch the Hobbit!

#1658 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You don't mean it!!!!

I actually enjoyed the Hobbit movies more than LOTR, which was so boring that my wife turned to me in the theater, predicted what was about to happen, went to the bathroom and concession stand, and returned to find out that she had missed nothing after 15 minutes. It was all as she had predicted. What a snoozer.

#1659 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I actually enjoyed the Hobbit movies more than LOTR, which was so boring that my wife turned to me in the theater, predicted what was about to happen, went to the bathroom and concession stand, and returned to find out that she had missed nothing after 15 minutes. It was all as she had predicted. What a snoozer.

I totally agree with this

I remember watching part 2 in the theatre. I literally fell asleep. It was the part where the dude was sitting on a tree and the tree was walking thru the forest.

Only thing good or even exciting was that battle at the castle at the end.

#1660 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I remember watching part 2 in the theatre. I literally fell asleep. It was the part where the dude was sitting on a tree and the tree was walking thru the forest.

That was EXACTLY the part I always refer to when slamming those movies. Wasn't he telling the Hobbits about when he was just a little tree or something? Couldn't believe it...

#1661 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That was EXACTLY the part I always refer to when slamming those movies. Wasn't he telling the Hobbits about when he was just a little tree or something? Couldn't believe it...

But, but, but...that follows the book!!!

I actually think that part is really sloooow too, and I love LOTR! Overall, it's hard to argue that the hobbit movies are in the same league as the LOTR movies. I do like the Hobbit movies too however, even all the added on fluff.

#1662 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I do like the Hobbit movies too however, even all the added on fluff.

Didn't mind the extra fluff. However a few of the Legolas scenes, soft city humans beating orcs and slimy right hand man of ex mayor continually placed in positions of trust were well beyond even my limits of belief (for a fantasy film too!).

#1663 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really have no idea what they said. That literally put me to sleep. So boring but If I was a tree. All I would care about is getting water,sunlight and hope no one comes along and cuts me down or a forest fire.

#1664 8 years ago

I am a bigger LOTR pinball fan than a fan of the movies. While the movies are good, my interest and ability to stay awake during an entire movie came about only after I bought the game. I'm sure the same will occur with The Hobbit.

#1665 8 years ago

With 90+ new posts, I opened the thread thinking there was some significant update or discussion going on.

Nope

#1666 8 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

I am a bigger LOTR pinball fan than a fan of the movies. While the movies are good, my interest and ability to stay awake during an entire movie came about only after I bought the game. I'm sure the same will occur with The Hobbit.

The great thing about JJP is. Regardless of whether ppl thing the movies are great or boring. You know he will make a really nice high end pin and he doesn't leave anything out.

#1667 8 years ago

The great thing about JJP is. Regardless of whether ppl thing the movies are great or boring. You know he will make a really nice high end pin and he doesn't leave anything out.

Not even an extra flipper!

#1668 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Not even an extra flipper!

Exactly!!!!

#1669 8 years ago

I've got an extra 'flipper' too

#1670 8 years ago

Except the rest of Smaugs body, that was my first dissapointment with this game, looks good and its great to have a talking Dragon but I always figured a nice full layout across the back would have been cool.

#1671 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Except the rest of Smaugs body, that was my first dissapointment with this game, looks good and its great to have a talking Dragon but I always figured a nice full layout across the back would have been cool.

He should have been coming out of the back board!
That would not have been to difficult. One hand on the middle diverter and one on the left side ball capture. ... I wonder if that could be a mod? (although his head turns to much to the left for that to work right now but maybe the movement could be limited...)

Oh well....it still looks good though...

#1672 8 years ago

Except for the munchkin's faces. Silly licensing restrictions.

#1673 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

With 90+ new posts, I opened the thread thinking there was some significant update or discussion going on.
Nope

There won't be any news until end of January after they finish play testing the first few games they make. Wtf they were doing with the others they built long ago is beyond me.

#1674 8 years ago

never did hobbit or lotr, the kids that carried those books around in school got their asses kicked for being nerds. I really couldn't tell the difference or never watched any of the movies. the pin looks nice though.

#1675 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

There won't be any news until end of January after they finish play testing the first few games they make. Wtf they were doing with the others they built long ago is beyond me.

Those earlier ones were prototypes and going through a lot of iterative changes. They were never built on an assembly line for production purposes.

The latest ones are presumably the final versions and built on the assembly line. This final round of testing is to refine the assembly line build process and catch any final issues before going into full production.

#1676 8 years ago

I think, cause smaug only talks, it is more easy to mod it into a tolaly different smaug. For example a very big smaug with feet/claws wrapped on the back and the left ramp.

So sad they could not do what they first wanted.

#1677 8 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I think, cause smaug only talks, it is more easy to mod it into a tolaly different smaug. For example a very big smaug with feet/claws wrapped on the back and the left ramp.
So sad they could not do what they first wanted.

I don't know about easy to mod, because of the size and workings of the mech. BUT, if Matt/JJP did provide a 'mini full body Smaug' it may look better. But honestly, at the point, I would just go with what it is...He is a big part of the PF, but not to the point of a do or die status for the fun factor of the pin.

#1678 8 years ago

even the guy who directed the hobbit felt they were a mess compared to LOTR. Didn't LOTR win best picture? Hobbit?

#1679 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I feel the same way. I couldn't imagine ever sitting through that again. At least Hobbit had a really cool dragon.

#1680 8 years ago

I put in a order for an LE today. Jen wrote me almost right away to let me know I would be looking at a May/June ship date.

#1681 8 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I put in a order for an LE today. Jen wrote me almost right away to let me know I would be looking at a May/June ship date.

5 months to start production and churn out hundreds of Hobbit?

#1682 8 years ago

LOL, I'll believe it when I see it.

#1683 8 years ago

May/June 2017.

#1685 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL, I'll believe it when I see it.

oh I know, I'm highly skeptical

#1686 8 years ago

Yep lol she never specified what year

#1687 8 years ago

How many machines can JJ do in a week when fully running? I hear Stern has the capacity to do about a 100 a day in their newer space.

#1688 8 years ago
#1689 8 years ago

Keep us posted. I should get mine way before you do since I have waiting 3 years.

#1690 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Keep us posted. I should get mine way before you do since I have waiting 3 years.

If it is from JJP I agree, if he ordered from a distributor he may get it a bit sooner. To be honest I want JJP to build a hundred or so before they build mine.

#1691 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If it is from JJP I agree, if he ordered from a distributor he may get it a bit sooner. To be honest I want JJP to build a hundred or so before they build mine.

Yeah, I ordered day one but hope there are distributors to take the first hundred or so before it gets to me.

#1692 8 years ago

Can we please get back to this being a Hobbit thread?

In catching up on the last 10 pages of this thread it appears that our Canadian friends are quite vocal in their anti JJP rants. I acknowledge that I would not be happy about things either with the exchange rate being 72 cents on the US dollar right now. Is sucks and I agree, but please don't blame world economics on JJP or take it out on his products.

Can we get this thread back on track to Hobbit or close it and start a new one? A US versus Canada thread does not benefit any of us. All we care about here is pinball. Lets do it together guys instead of flaming each other. That's why so many of us left RGP to get to a site that was more civil.

#1693 8 years ago

When you miss your ship date by 2 years, you can't ask a thread to stay on track. After a year delay, it's total shit show time with JJP threads. Comes with the territory.

#1694 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

When you miss your ship date by 2 years, you can't ask a thread to stay on track. After a year delay, it's total shit show time with JJP threads. Comes with the territory.

Whats even more disappointing is that the "line starting" was a false start with only a couple show rooms and hopefully LTG getting his machine.

No sign of mass production yet.

#1695 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Whats even more disappointing is that the "line starting" was a false start with only a couple show rooms and hopefully LTG getting his machine.
No sign of mass production yet.

Anyone surprised? Jack's been pulling the wool over our eyes ever since he announced WOZ. People really thought they were gonna get their machines by XMAS. I'm not even sure what the hold up is at this point, but his business model is a complete joke. Pissed me off to think people have been paid in full for YEARS. That's crazy. Spooky buyers are just out $1,000 and won't have to pay another cent until their game is ready to ship.

What's the most annoying is Jack posing next to cabinets. Jack posing next to parts. Jack sending out emails saying production has begun...well...sort of....

The ONLY bit of news people want is this: PRODUCTION GAMES HAVE STARTED.

#1696 8 years ago

Kaneda when did you buy your Hobbit?

#1697 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The ONLY bit of news people want is

Good to see that you know what we want!

#1698 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Kaneda when did you buy your Hobbit?

2 years from now.

#1699 8 years ago

Wow...its nice to hear people bitching about not getting their games again

#1700 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

There's no reason to come into this thread and cause chaos other then to troll. Even if there is an update the same people just complain. Hell once the games start shipping next month the same people will complain again about it taking too long. Well, do you want a deep, quality and feature packed game like The Hobbit or do you want WWE? I'll take the Hobbit. If you have no interest in the game please go to another thread or create a dedicated "let's complain about Hobbit delays" thread and keep it all in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,911 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 39.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.