Topic Stats

• 1,911 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 148 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Orly1_(resized).JPG
harvey_h_(resized).jpg
45a_(resized).jpg
Screenshot_2016-01-03-00-57-23~01_(resized).jpg
Wwny7Pq_(resized).png
hobbit_(resized).jpg
image.png
03_18_2013_nixon-campaign.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
5105b4df-7dd7-4808-b9e0-af33ac2331aa.jpg
image.jpeg
Blame_canada.gif
dteeth.jpg
tar_sands18.jpg

There are 1911 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 39.
#501 3 years ago

Its definitely been a rollercoaster waiting for this, but it was for WOZ too. Ive just accepted that JJP doesn't crank out product like stern does, but JJP's pins are so much better I accept it (although it still sucks waiting).

#502 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

No question, the game is certainly the most striking visually and audio-ly . Audibly....aurially... Whatever.
My bigger concern is overall speed of play.... So I can't wait to play one on location.... Hopefully the guys at a Flippers have an early order in!

It is not speed that is the issue.Ramp,ramp,ramp troll,troll ramp,ramp,ramp,ramp,multi ball start over You are right about art and sound 10 of 10 gameplay 6.5 of 10

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Its definitely been a rollercoaster waiting for this, but it was for WOZ too. Ive just accepted that JJP doesn't crank out product like stern does, but JJP's pins are so much better I accept it (although it still sucks waiting).

I think we as pinball fans generally uderestimate how much time it takes to really, REALLY, integrate media assets into the JJP platform, which is a "burden" that Stern does not have to contend with (nor can Stern demonstrate the fruits of that labor).

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I think we as pinball fans generally uderestimate how much time it takes to really, REALLY, integrate media assets into the JJP platform, which is a "burden" that Stern does not have to contend with (nor can Stern demonstrate the fruits of that labor).

The fruits of their labor is in most guys games rooms (which all of us are thankful for) like mine when i walk in and look at the stern games that are good players. Jjp does a stunning job and produces an excellent final product albeit painstaking for the consumer

No need to bag out one manufacturer to promote another. Like most Stern games, jjp games speak for themselves

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

It is not speed that is the issue.Ramp,ramp,ramp troll,troll ramp,ramp,ramp,ramp,multi ball start over You are right about art and sound 10 of 10 gameplay 6.5 of 10

you just described all pinball: ramp, ramp, orbit, bash, orbit...

Whatever man! Take some geritol and go yell at some kids or something.

#506 3 years ago

Mine will arrive soon. THSE will be beside WOZLE, can't wait!

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

you just described all pinball: ramp, ramp, orbit, bash, orbit...
Whatever man! Take some geritol and go yell at some kids or something.

If you think thats all pinball is why get a modern at all

#508 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

The fruits of their labor is in most guys games rooms (which all of us are thankful for) like mine when i walk in and look at the stern games that are good players. Jjp does a stunning job and produces an excellent final product albeit painstaking for the consumer
No need to bag out one manufacturer to promote another. Like most Stern games, jjp games speak for themselves

Not bagging on any manufacturer. Just saying that the product development time is longer on JJP, at least PARTIALLY because they do a lot of multimedia asset integration, which Stern isn't doing. The advantage with JJP is when the pin finally arrives, the integration is dramatic. The advantage with Stern is it takes less time for the pin to arrive. Like a LOT less time.

Just saying when people compare product development time between Stern and JJP, they probably underestimate the time it takes to develop on the JJP platform, but the payoff is in the multimedia presentation. Stern doesn't have either that advantage of dramatic presentation nor the disadvantage of longer product development.

That's all.

#509 3 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Mine will arrive soon. THSE will be beside WOZLE, can't wait!

I want an invite to your place. I'll bring beer and pizza

#510 3 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

I want an invite to your place. I'll bring beer and pizza

It's (Bankers place) pinball heaven.

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

the rules aren't done

#513 3 years ago

Anytime, anyone welcome!

#514 3 years ago

I had a seemingly epic game on Hobbit yesterday at Expo...and I ended up having a really great impression of the game. What a difference a year makes! Last year was just a big "oooph"...new art & a year of coding makes a hell of a difference. Sure, we can still look at the game and think "how would I do it better" - but I think it's past the point of "What can this game be" to the reality of "this is what the game is" ...and it's pretty damn good, IMO. The eye/ear candy is fanastic...excellent light shows, amazing music and sound, Smaug's lighting and talking choreography works wonderfully with the voice clips. The uplighting of the pop-up characters looks really cool. I started some multiball where (I think) the GI went dark and all 4 popped up with only their uplighting - it was really spooky and cool! The ramps are smooth and fun to shoot. I like the specific lights under the "Book" and "Time" cutouts on the ramps...made me forget about what I initially thought was a confusing phrase "Book Time". There are nice animation touches on the book LCD - when the ball is in the barrel bumpers, there is water animation splashing up on the book LCD. The main LCD is incredible, but I seriously couldn't look at it during gameplay. I won't pretend I understand the rules - but I could definitely feel that "organic" gameplay/flow that I love from LOTR & TSPP...it's that "Keith touch", for sure!

I have definitely gone from "not interested" to "I'd like to own this some day". Congrats to JJP & crew for pulling through some tough development to make a game that just might be very special.

#515 3 years ago

So many good impressions. Can't wait to get mine.

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

» YouTube video

Lol. I am player one.

I have one on order and enjoyed playing it.

#517 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I had a seemingly epic game on Hobbit yesterday at Expo...and I ended up having a really great impression of the game. What a difference a year makes! Last year was just a big "oooph"...new art & a year of coding makes a hell of a difference. Sure, we can still look at the game and think "how would I do it better" - but I think it's past the point of "What can this game be" to the reality of "this is what the game is" ...and it's pretty damn good, IMO. The eye/ear candy is fanastic...excellent light shows, amazing music and sound, Smaug's lighting and talking choreography works wonderfully with the voice clips. The uplighting of the pop-up characters looks really cool. I started some multiball where (I think) the GI went dark and all 4 popped up with only their uplighting - it was really spooky and cool! The ramps are smooth and fun to shoot. I like the specific lights under the "Book" and "Time" cutouts on the ramps...made me forget about what I initially thought was a confusing phrase "Book Time". There are nice animation touches on the book LCD - when the ball is in the barrel bumpers, there is water animation splashing up on the book LCD. The main LCD is incredible, but I seriously couldn't look at it during gameplay. I won't pretend I understand the rules - but I could definitely feel that "organic" gameplay/flow that I love from LOTR & TSPP...it's that "Keith touch", for sure!
I have definitely gone from "not interested" to "I'd like to own this some day". Congrats to JJP & crew for pulling through some tough development to make a game that just might be very special.

I was there while you played that game, a lot of fun ! Even watching is fun, taking in the LCD and learning as a waiting player.

Cool thing seeing the 4 different selectable skill shots and the player use of the ring button within the game. There's a lot going on in this game.

At one point Brian Eddy was watching and really taking in the experience. I'd love to know what he thought of the package. And when those troll pop ups were going it was a blast. The under lighting and effects are so cool on the game. It really is a polished product and fast and fun.

#518 3 years ago

So what are all of the characters in the middle of the LCD? Looks a little like a lego video game. Is it finished /started modes?

#519 3 years ago

Such great mechanical engineering on this machine. Too much to process in a few days. I played a few games and studied the shots and strategies. The selective rotating drop targets were a key feature. What impressed me was the attention towards displaying the 4 pop up monster by focusing a light bellow the playfield onto the face. That bellow playfield light gave emphasis on the monster once the ball triggered the rise from the selective outline.
Wanted to studying it more, but at the same time did not want to interfere with anyone's game.
This machine is a BEAST.
IMG_00003031.jpg

#520 3 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Lol. I am player one.
» YouTube video

That was a great multi-ball. Thanks for sharing that! Looks great!

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Lol. I am player one.
» YouTube video

What was the deal with the vertical bar on the LCD at 0:48?

#522 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Appears to be a quick mini-game where maybe you get your ball back if won?

#523 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A new twist on save your ball...

#524 3 years ago

A few quick vids (I just found on youtube):

#525 3 years ago

Appears like a lot of power needed to get to the top of the playfield ramps. If struggling to get up there does the huge playfield feel 'empty' if no pop ups are going?

#526 3 years ago

Yeah. I will probably up the flipper strength on mine just a tad.

#527 3 years ago

I have played the Hobbit at various shows and at the JJP factory over the recent months. This past weekend at the Expo with the addition of the Gandalf callouts and the two new "mini" games, spegel outlane and windlance, what an immersive exciting game to play and just watch. I had 2 intense multiball rounds that just increased the excitement... the activity in the play and the pounding music... it was a battle!! I will say that the upper field ramp shots were reachable... you just had to hit the ball cleanly... when I didnt hit the ramps, it was not my impression you would have to increase the flipper power. Maybe thats a preference. Anyway I am a long time lurker on this thread and an even longer term pre-order. Time to ship it now.

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Quoted from Pimp77:

Correct. If you have "Precious" lit on the outlane, that will pop up. You have until the time the ball hits the outhole (or so) to hit the action button to stop the little line inside the blue section. If you do, ball save.

#529 3 years ago

Has anyone posted an ETA for the first shipments? Is it late this year...?

#530 3 years ago

rumor from expo was around Nov. 10th to start up the Hobbit line

#531 3 years ago

Jack says November on Coast2coast interview. Keeps getting longer and longer......................

#532 3 years ago

They have to ship by december. Jack said they are contractually obligated to start shipping when the movie comes out.

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

They have to ship by december. Jack said they are contractually obligated to start shipping when the movie comes out.

?!?!?

you mean dec 2014

there is no new film dec 2015

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Jack says November on Coast2coast interview. Keeps getting longer and longer......................

You lost me at "Jack said"

SEEMS like it's actually getting close though.... I'd love Jack to just STOP talking about it and they *BAM* post a photo of the first ones getting loaded on the first truck.

#535 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

LOL!

Apparently he meant when the Silmarillion movie come out!

#536 3 years ago

I heard Nov as well directly from Jack.

At least we are talking "days" now instead of weeks/months/years!!

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I heard Nov as well directly from Jack.
At least we are talking "days" now instead of weeks/months/years!!

I have heard every month from last Dec to now talked about as a shipping date

#538 3 years ago

Have we not learned by now that Jack and the rest of the manufacturers (other than Stern and maybe Spooky) give out time estimates based on everything proceeding perfectly from the moment they give the estimate (to be generous).

All such estimates must be taken with a pound of salt.

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Based on what i played at Expo, the game is *done* and the code is very very good. For those who ordered one, it's safe to say this is as close to shipping as the game as ever been. At this point it really just comes down to all the parts being in the factory to assemble.

#540 3 years ago

IMG_0083.jpg

#541 3 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

yeah, well , everyone gets fooled....

case in point, even pinside still thinks this is a 2014 game

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 1.31.36 PM.png

#542 3 years ago

Can you quit trolling this thread? Time for a thread eject!

#543 3 years ago

Let him troll who cares. For all those who got their hands on this at Expo, I'm sure the majority will tell you this game is going to be well worth the wait! There is so much detail and depth to the hobbit in all facets from art to sound to code to speed, yes speed. The time has been put into this machine and that is the biggest difference I see. Got is fun no question about it have a premium on order, however when you see the package on hobbit it will absolutely blow you away! The game is fun and I had no idea what I was doing, par for the course.

#544 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just ignore him - he loves trolling this thread. I don't think the mods care that much that he does it because he is trying to be borderline funny. Just scroll past his comments. Once it ships he will go silent - or like most JJP haters complain about something else. JJP#3 being late on the announcement or something like that.

#545 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Once it ships he will go silent - or like most JJP haters complain about something else they do. JJP#3 being late on the announcement or something like that.

Or I might buy it. Who knows?

#546 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Trolling? I thought using that word was grounds for an eject! Be careful!

Besides, that pic is funny! Some of you laughed even if you did down-vote it.

#548 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Or I might buy it. Who knows?

Good point - perhaps you like kicking JJP in the balls over slipped dates. I get it. But - and I know this sounds like a broken record from JJP fanboys - the finished product lacks the rushed feel of last expo. In my eyes they have made up for the year long slipped date in the final product.

Opinions vary of course. As someone who has purchased the Hobbit I am happy with the result.

#549 3 years ago

If you compare the Hobbit 2014 version with the Hobbit 2015 version it is night and day.

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Good point - perhaps you like kicking JJP in the balls over slipped dates. I get it. But - and I know this sounds like a broken record from JJP fanboys - the finished product lacks the rushed feel of last expo. In my eyes they have made up for the year long slipped date in the final product.
Opinions vary of course. As someone who has purchased the Hobbit I am happy with the result.

But didn't you yourself post earlier that anything past December and you're out? So, if fairness, even you have limits to your patience?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, KS
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 8,500.00
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 27.50
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1911 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 39.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside