Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

This "year in review" thread is all about your restorations, or major improvements you made to your pins.

Adding 6 new games (2 EM, 3 SS and 1 DMD) kept me busy this year, so I didn't accomplish half of what I set out to do. But here's what I did get done:

Black Knight: made it bullet-proof (new boards, microswitches, lots of tweaking).
    Whirlwind: finished most of the CPR playfield swap
    Jumping Jack: replaced all of the drop targets and the backglass
    Fathom: did a complete shopout, and sold my CPR playfield
    Space Station: did a complete shopout, added new blue ramp and LED'ed it (!)
    NASCAR: did a complete shopout

"Complete shopout" means I removed everything from the top of the playfield, cleaned it with Novus and waxed it 3x.

My main restoration goals in 2015 are C37, Space Mission and JM (and finishing WW). I'm planning to not buy anything this year, so I can totally focus on the games I'm lucky enough to own.

#2 9 years ago

I also tracked down NOS playfields for Hot Shots and Trident, which I hope I'll be able to get to this year.

#3 9 years ago

So nobody wants to talk about their year in the workshop?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

This "year in review" thread is all about your restorations

Great thread idea !

I suggest adding to this:

1. Planned restorations
    2. Planned learning / skill upgrades for the year

-mof

#5 9 years ago

2015 plan/crystal ball:

I've learned that during normal work weeks, I maintain "best life balance" at roughly 1 hour of restoration per day as a pace. Given that I will spend roughly 400 hours of time on restoration in 2015, how will I spend it?

Jan: Complete High Speed playfield swap. (Final 20 hour home stretch, of 140 hour project. Watch lots of NFL playoffs !) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration

Feb-May: (100+ hours) Hoping my Sorcerer playfield which went out last May, comes back in February (fingers crossed), so I can begin a playfield swap on Sorcerer. Re-stencil the cab, going for CQ/near-CQ... In time to take to PAGG with possibly High Speed (May 15).

May-July: (100+ hours) Hoping Seawitch playfields are shipped by May? I'm simply dying inside to play on this crappy old beater playfield, and I can't wait to see what magic John stirs up with his own self-made PFs. Playfield swap, new cabinet, aiming for CQ/near-CQ.

Nothing planned after Sorcerer and Seawitch. I think a 6-month plan is plenty for now.

Biggest "X" factors are waiting for playfields to return. While I'm waiting, I have plenty of parts I can tumble, and cabinets I can get started on should I choose to.

Ideally, one new pin falls in my lap in late 2015: a Nine Ball or Defender.

As for new skills, I am in the process of getting comfortable with the complete "playfield swap". It took 2 years of learning pinball maintenance to get the nerve, tools, and contacts (coaches) to make this a breeze for me. I don't suggest anyone jumps into pinball, and starts a playfield swap on day 1.

Later this year, I plan to learn to sand/bondo cabinets in my back yard, to prep them for stencil work (which I will outsource).

-mof

#6 9 years ago

I've planned out my projects for 2015. The new skills I want to gain are:

- installing cabinet decals (WW, JM)
    - protecting playfield touchups (C37, Space Mission)
    - leveling inserts with UV reactive resin (many games)

#7 9 years ago

Fireball 2: Rescued from a warehouse and got it mostly working with some help from a couple of new boards and lots of help from Pinside.

Cyclopes: Rescued from a shed only 2 hours away from me. Previous owner got it for free, crazy for a game that only 400 were made of. Anyways with TONS of help from viperrwk the game worked.... for about 5 hours. Then the mpu took a dump again. Off to viperrwk's place again. Hopefully 2nd times a charm.
    Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclopes-pinball-shop-out-restoration-thread

#8 9 years ago

Completed playfield swaps on Addams Family, Cirqus Voltare, Cyclone, and Grand Prix, plus other smaller projects (shop jobs).

Projects in the lineup for 2015 are Taxi, Firepower and Bad Cats for playfield swaps, and a cabinet swap for Attack from Mars. Hopefully, Earthshaker playfields will also become available and I can get that one done too. Phew!

#9 9 years ago

That's impressive - I imagine TAF is not an easy swap. I have to limit myself to 1 swap a year because I'm so slow (they usually take me 40-60 hours).

#10 9 years ago

Full restorations on RS, Totan cabinet (waiting on playfield) NGG, corvette cabinet, and FH almost complete, this year TOM, MM, and finish up TOTAN, and Corvette.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

That's impressive - I imagine TAF is not an easy swap. I have to limit myself to 1 swap a year because I'm so slow (they usually take me 40-60 hours).

TAF wasn't too bad. CV was much harder, partly because the new playfield wasn't dimpled or completely drilled. I had to spend a ton of time marking and drilling holes.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

TAF wasn't too bad. CV was much harder, partly because the new playfield wasn't dimpled or completely drilled. I had to spend a ton of time marking and drilling holes.

Space Station was the worst for me, for the same reason (not drilled or dimpled). Worse, it has double the number of GI sockets, for "condition green".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2014-year-in-review-restorations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.