6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Clinton.jpg
    LSU_Party.jpg

#1 6 years ago

The 2014 Texas Pinball Festival will be held March 28th-30th at the Embassy Suites Dallas – Frisco Hotel & Convention Center in Frisco, TX.
    http://www.embassysuitesdallasfrisco.com/

Changing dates and locations is never an easy decision. Several scheduling conflicts (such as the NCAA Final Four Basketball Tournament being hosted in Dallas/Ft Worth the first weekend in April) and limited or unavailable March dates forced us to seek a new location for 2014. We are aware there are other pinball events going on this same weekend, but I assure everyone we tried not to conflict but this was the only date available unless we wanted to move to summer (and in Texas, that is not an option).

We are very excited to be moving to the Embassy Suites. It is a beautiful hotel with more than 40,000 sq ft of available show space! In addition, the hotel is directly across the street from Stonebriar Mall offering an abundance of food options and free parking.

More information and special hotel room rates with discount code will be announced soon along with our 2014 TPF logo and website updates.

Regards,
    Ed VanderVeen, Co-Organizer
    Texas Pinball Festival
    http://www.texaspinball.com/tpf/

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

an abundance of food options and free parking.

Sweet! Sounds like this location will be much more attendee-friendly!

Request: Early entry to the show floor (1-2 hours) as a bonus for those who pre-register.

#3 6 years ago

Holy crap Ed! WTF happened! You finally got off the same dates as other shows, beautiful new hotel, awesomely huge space, and now you're changing again?!?!

I know the hotel was less than accommodating to organizers and vendors, but it wasn't that bad.

Very disappointed to see this. Now I don't get to have Off Site Kitchen burgers for lunch next year.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#4 6 years ago

this was my first year at the TPF and i loved it. i had a couple of friends drive up from San Antonio and spent the weekend hanging out and playing pinball. i will be doing my best to make it next year too.

thanks for putting on such a great event.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Holy crap Ed! WTF happened! You finally got off the same dates as other shows, beautiful new hotel, awesomely huge space, and now you're changing again?!?!
    I know the hotel was less than accommodating to organizers and vendors, but it wasn't that bad.
    Very disappointed to see this. Now I don't get to have Off Site Kitchen burgers for lunch next year.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

Rob, we tried. We really did. The NCAA has everything locked up at most hotels for the months of March, April, and May. The 28th-30th was the only available weekend at the new location and the Anatole was already booked with the first available opening in June (way to hot). Dan and MGC were made aware and they understand. I believe they are still in negotiations with various hotels as well.
    -Ed

#6 6 years ago

Said it before and I'll say it again...I despise college sports. Just another reason I hate them even more now. =\

I don't know what I'm going to do, but got plenty of time to decide I guess.... go to TPF if I'm really broke, but I would LOVE to go to Pinburgh. At least I'd get my money's worth of tourney play doing that. I am not going to pay and pay and pay to compete with these guys that are in the top 100 because they can afford to pay to play the same game 10 times at 5 bucks a pop times 8 games just to get a good seed in A-div qualifiers. I know we have players both local and afar that aren't in that category, but I did see several guys that fit this "to a t" as well. Yeah, overall I'd spend more money going to Pinburgh, by probably a large margin, but it's also a chance to play a hugely competitve tourney, with a ton of people, and I prefer playing with other people versus solo qualification.

Really felt like I spent way too much money this year going to TPF, and that's not Ed or anyone else's fault but myself. Just that getting a room for a hotel that's like 8 miles from the house for two nights, and renting a U-haul for the weekend to bring games was just a LOT of money, and I spent WAY too much time playing on Marc's Safecracker. God, that thing was addictive, even knowing that the software was out to screw you every time you get up on the game board..

Not a decision I will enjoy making, and it's unfortunate about the timing, but look on the bright side.....now that we've had the super bowl and the final four after next year, at least we won't have to worry about this BS for years to come. We're not in the running for any olympics or NBA finals, right?

#7 6 years ago

Boo!
    Loved the location.. understand about NCAA.. but this location ain't in Dallas... which means its a long drive to do other fun stuff while in D...
    Too bad..

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Boo!
    Loved the location.. understand about NCAA.. but this location ain't in Dallas... which means its a long drive to do other fun stuff while in D...
    Too bad..

Only 22 miles north of the Hilton Anatole. 23 miles from the Dallas West End Historic District. 35 miles from Six Flags Over Texas. 46 miles to the Fort Worth Stockyards. 28 miles from DFW Airport. What exactly do you want to do or see while in DFW? I bet it's closer than you think.
    -Ed

#9 6 years ago

My thought on the show moving... again

2012, Hilton Grapevine. The show just flat out grew the venue so moving was a no brainer.

2013, Hilton Anatole Dallas.

Minuses: A very nice hotel, honestly I think too upscale for TPF. Food was at the hotel waaaay expensive with limited obvious choices around the hotel (unless you were a local and knew where to go), parking sucked, I was not happy with the lighting in the game room. While the organizers will probably disagree with me I think attendance was down across the entire weekend - possibly attributed to the terrible parking situation, even though it was only 10 bucks I will agree that there is a mental block that goes with having to pay to park when in years past you haven't.

Pluses: Hotel was nice, as a vendor load in and load out was much easier than the previous venue, plenty of space,

2014, Embassy Suites Frisco. I've had extensive conversations with Ed about the new venue and I will admit that I was not in favor of moving again at first. But, after listening to the reasons I think it is the correct move.

- The quality of the hotel is basically in between what the Hilton Grapevine and Hilton Anatole were and I think that is perfect.
    - The stupid idea to have to pay to park is fixed. There will be convenient, no hassle free parking.
    - Room rates are comparable and you get some nice benefits with the room that were not a part of the previous hotels room reservations.
    - Drive is a bit longer but in my opinion it is a small price to pay to not have to deal with Dallas traffic.
    - Room size is still more that adequate.
    - Lighting I am told will be fixed. One thing I really liked about Grapevine was the subtle lighting in the game room allowing the games themselves to make up the ambient lighting. Ed I am holding you to this!
    - Frisco has a ton of places to eat and they are all very nice establishments. There is a huge mall right across the street within walking distance if you don't want to drive.

I am excited to go to the new venue and I hope 2014 is as successful and has the amazing collector involvement that 2013 had. Hopefully TPF has finally found a new home.

-Marc

#10 6 years ago

I know the organizers do the best they can with what they have got and it is ALWAYS an outstanding show. That said, I'll be across the street at the Hilton Garden Inn w/ free Wi-fi, parking, room fridge and microwave. I could use the exercise anyways!

#11 6 years ago

Personally I like the new location with a much better parking situation, tons of food options nearby and it is in a much safer part of town. As usual, I will probably nearly kill myself again bringing too many games like I did this year... I am already working on the list of games I hope to have ready to bring for next year...

Thanks to Ed and all of the other organizers of the TPF for everything they do to help put on one of the best pinball shows practically in our backyard...

-- Shawn

#12 6 years ago

I think one memory I will always have of the Anatole was when about fifteen minutes after the festival's conclusion, a hotel employee was walking through the room yelling, "All vendors need to have their stuff out of here in ten minutes!"
    Really? Haha, I looked around and thought, "Yeah, that ain't happening."

#13 6 years ago

I trust those that heard that hotel guy basically just ignored him and went about packing up stuff at the normal safe quick pace that they were already proceeding along at.

#14 6 years ago

Sorry to hear we won't be at the same place. I really liked the hotel this year. ES's are cool places though. Should be a blast. I'm in for 2014!!!

#15 6 years ago

Late March for 2014 should work out fine. Temperatures should be still be cool enough.
    Easter won't be til Apr 20th in 2014.
    The races at Tx Motor Speedway probably won't be till 2nd wkend in Apr (11-13th),
    so no hotel/motel room issues related to that.

From Parks, LA, 407 miles to the Hilton Anatole, and 422 miles to the ES in Frisco, TX,
    so no big deal to me concerning the extra driving.

You may want to advertise TPF-2014 in the Frisco area in order to try to attract some of the locals.

I see above that Ed mentioned "more than 40,000 sq ft of available show space" at the new ES-Frisco location. Please inform how much floor space was at the Hilton-Grapevine, and how much was at Hilton-Anatole.
    I went to TPF-2012 & -2013, so just curious if the Frisco space will be more than Grapevine space, but less than Anatole space.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

- Drive is a bit longer but in my opinion it is a small price to pay to not have to deal with Dallas traffic.

That all depends on which direction you're coming from. Ha!

#17 6 years ago

I appreciate all efforts that Ed and his team do every year to put on a fantastic show.

TPF 2012....15k sq ft over crowded like a 1970's Brazilian night club.
    TPF 2013....45k sq ft
    TPF 2014....40k sq ft

Not trying to pile on with negatives but I am not going to sugar coat it. I have been to the shows in 09,10,11 and 13. I missed 2012 for personal reasons but I have seen the videos.

Anatole...2013
    *Ghetto area around the hotel
    *Non-Family oriented area
    *Paying for parking plain sucked. Even at 10 dollars a day. There was NO in and out privileges for non guests. I heard there was a car break in.
    *Big stuffy hotel you would expect to hold a Monday night insurance seminar led by Ben Stein (Bueller, Bueller, Dry eyes...)
    *Wet bathrooms with overstuffed waste baskets full of paper towels. I at least dried my hands off with my new TPF shirt 2-3 times during the week.
    *Only immediate choices for food on Friday evening was a sushi roach coach at 8 dollars a roll or from what I heard a 15+ dollar Hamburger at the hotel restaurant. Saturday there were more roach coaches, one with mini slider hamburgers and one with Philly Steak sandwiches and other deli subs. They ran out of bread within a few hours. Same sushi truck rolls in later that evening. There were no nachos, bbq sandwiches, or quick snacks that I appreciated at Grapevine. I wanna play pinball and eat cheap and not leave the premises if I don't have to.
    *One might need a golf cart to get to where you enter the hotel to get to the 45k sq ft room in the back of the building. It felt like 10 min of walking from the front door of the hotel.
    *Only positive besides the friendly smiling faces of the organizers was the size of the room. (1/3rd seemed empty (positive) room to grow)

2014 Embassy Suites Frisco (Ed and company really outdid themselves this time )
    *Still In DFW
    *Safe family friendly middle class / upper middle class soccer mom area...even nicer than Grapevine
    *Walk outside the hotel and you will stub your toe on places to eat... just like Grapevine.
    *Free Parking everywhere...just like Grapevine.
    *40k sq ft...almost 3 times the size of Grapevine.
    *HUGE mall across the street. (They have a year round ice skating rink, a Merry-go-round inside and a nice sized food court)

I live like 8 miles away in Plano and I frequent this area constantly. This is a clean,safe,nice and fun area of town. Am I biased because this place is 8 miles from my house? Hell no! Grapevine is 35-40 min from my house and Anatole was 35-45min away from my house. Almost same distance in drive. The TPF could have been 6 hours away and I still would have attended. I had suggested Downtown Fort Worth, Keller and other nice areas but Ed and company really thought outside the box and presented us with Frisco one of the top 3 areas of DFW. I can't wait for TPF in 2014! Thanks again Ed and crew!

#18 6 years ago

I know the organizers do there best to make the show better each year. This was my first year at the TPF and my family and I really enjoyed it.

I don't mine the change in Location. It sounds like for next years event , we won't need to travel through down town Dallas to find restaurants and shopping malls near by like we had to this year which is a big plus in my book. I don't like the traffic in Dallas, or any big city as far as that goes.

The date change is what's going to probably kill my chance of going next year. I farm for a living and can't make any reservations for nothing between late March through November due to uncertainness in the weather.

I know the organizers can't plan a event around everyone's schedule , that's impossible , I'm just throwing in my situation and 2 cents worth.

#19 6 years ago

Right move. I did love the ballroom at the Hilton but the entire area around the hotel was to "risky", parking, food, etc. Next year... I plan to bring my whole collection of "Home" pinball machines like EK Home Edition and the Dirty Cowboy....

#20 6 years ago

TPF is the highlight of my pinball year. I'll be there with my games.

#21 6 years ago

Anyone else notice the Chairman Mao themed hallway at Anatole? I realize the hotel had a Chinese theme, but that was kind of odd.

#22 6 years ago

Now if you want a flawless pinball tournament talk with David Hernly from aurcade, he runs a great tournament whichever style of play .

http://aurcade.com/default.aspx

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

*Walk outside the hotel and you will stub your toe on places to eat... just like Grapevine.

I'll recommend ribs at Spring Creek Barbecue.

I'm hoping it's at Frisco from now on, much better than downtown Dallas.
    Agree on hating the parking at Anatole and lack of dining around there. Plus nothing beats having TPF so close to home.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

TPF is the highlight of my pinball year. I'll be there with my games.

I'm going to find a way to bring a game next year . . . if nothing else ya'lls late night parties sounded awesome!!! I want the different colored bracelet.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm going to find a way to bring a game next year . . . if nothing else ya'lls late night parties sounded awesome!!! I want the different colored bracelet.

Thumbs up Tiger. Company is great, but the show is great because of those that bring games!

Next year Ark-La-Tex booth has Hookers and Blow!

#26 6 years ago

Thats even further from San Antonio :*(

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Oh yuck. Really? I don't get how that place stays in business. They're alright, but even five years ago, their portion-to-cost ratio was laughable, especially for BBQ. If I remember right, they didn't even have fried okra. What a joke. Did they at least improve that?

Course, I make my own BBQ sauce, so I may be biased...

#28 6 years ago

If registration were open today, I would already be registered!

I love staying at Embassy Suites!!

Well done TPF! Well done.

Marcus

#29 6 years ago

Next year Ark-La-Tex booth has Hookers and Blow!

Oh yea!

LSU_Party.jpg Clinton.jpg

#30 6 years ago

Only downside for me is the longer drive from my friends house in Cedar Hill on the cities south side. However I was not a fan of the Anatole because of the parking and the horrible surrounding area. The free parking and improved eating options should more than make up for losing 5,000 sq. ft. And the longer drive to the show each day.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sorry to hear we won't be at the same place. I really liked the hotel this year. ES's are cool places though. Should be a blast. I'm in for 2014!!!

I'm in too! People and pins are most important part of event. Tiger, not sure the room can compete, but hey maybe our Houston folks can get adjoining room - that is an event in itself. Thanks to Ed for being the messenger!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

I'm hoping it's at Frisco from now on, much better than downtown Dallas. Agree on hating the parking at Anatole and lack of dining around there. Plus nothing beats having TPF so close to home.

I personally think Bone Daddy's - House of Smoke is the standard for BBQ in Dallas that everything should be compared too. BBQ, Drinks, Talent......Awesome...

#33 6 years ago

Well, I guess a silver lining is fewer competitors in the tournament since a majority will be at Pinburgh. Could be a ripe tournament for big points for those that do attend though. Sadly I'll be at Pinburgh but look forward to 2015 if on a different date. Dang you NCAA and your silly sports tournament.

#34 6 years ago

Unless something crazy comes up, my son and I will be back for more trophies.
    The Dallas show is too much fun to miss.

#35 6 years ago

Aw, man! TPF and Pinburgh are the same weekend. Oh no!

Hmmm...

That would mean many of the top 500 players will be in Pittsburgh. Trophies could be ripe for the picking at TPF!

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

personally think Bone Daddy's - House of Smoke is the standard for BBQ in Dallas that everything should be compared too. BBQ, Drinks, Talent......Awesome...

They have bbq there? Didn't notice. The whole experience was a blur. I do remember twins...

#37 6 years ago

Ed,

Sweet I love the location change. I get tried of going to the same place year after year after year. Heck most vendor are in the same place on the floor in the same chair (Did they go home? . Mix it up and give a change of scenery. The traffic will be easier to get around and there are ten times the restaurants. I think it was a smart decision. The only other thing I would like is the vendors to be able to get into the show floor when they want like in Chicago. Our product is large so we have to bring it in everyday as we sell. This was a real pain in the butt for us and the hotel staff was rude about the entire process. We do not have theses problems in Chicago. However, the table set up and chairs are nice.

#38 6 years ago

My wife votes for Bone Daddy's too. I've never eaten there, but she's from Louisville/Atlanta, and usually isn't much into "our" style of BBQ. She wants that vinegar-water crap lol. But at any rate, if she says it's good, I'm willing to take her word for it.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

My wife votes for Bone Daddy's too. I've never eaten there, but she's from Louisville/Atlanta, and usually isn't much into "our" style of BBQ. She wants that vinegar-water crap lol. But at any rate, if she says it's good, I'm willing to take her word for it.

Frax, Your wife is a genius. It really is not wine / vinegar crap but that is OK. Believe her , I think there is a reason she is not telling you to go........

#40 6 years ago

Ed
    You and your team do a GREAT job every year.
    I look forward to the new location.
    I hope you remember your offer on Saturday and I plan to take you up on it next year.
    Thanks for the St Patty's day hat.

To be honest I always have a great time and I would go even if you held it at Classic Sterns house

Bill

1 week later
    #41 6 years ago

If you're looking for the BEST SUPER BOWL HOTELS; DEFINITELY your best bet for 2014 SUPER BOWL, OLYMPICS, FIFA WORLD CUP, NCAA FINAL FOUR, F1, Formula One, Grand Prix races in Austin Texas... Book now at http://www.14sb.com/ and http://www.2020Hotels.com/. LUXURY Lodging as well as affordable accommodations for ALL EVENTS. 917-224-1231.

#42 6 years ago

Can a moderator edit the above post to basically delete much of the text, so the Melstina doesn't benefit from posting stuff like this which is not related to the topic of this thread.
    I'm not saying to delete the entire msg.

#43 6 years ago

Ed, Do you have an idea on the amount of attendees for 2013 compared to 2011 and 2012 that you could post? Hopefully each year there has been a good percentage increase attending.

#44 6 years ago

I really liked the Grapevine location in 2012. I can see the pros of the Anatole, but it was so huge we needed a shuttle from the front of the hotel to the exhibit area. I felt like I was on a college campus and not a convention center. Though the art was really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 2014 venue will be like. And yea, we have to have a kick-ass both next year.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Can a moderator edit the above post to basically delete much of the text, so the Melstina doesn't benefit from posting stuff like this which is not related to the topic of this thread.
    I'm not saying to delete the entire msg.

Melstina is clearly a bot or some other advertiser. The immediate ban hammer no questions asked is warranted; we don't need that garbage on pinside.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Melstina is clearly a bot or some other advertiser. The immediate ban hammer no questions asked is warranted; we don't need that garbage on pinside.

If that's a bot, it's pretty sophisticated. considering the post is not totally off-topic

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

If that's a bot, it's pretty sophisticated. considering the post is not totally off-topic

Picked up, events, Texas, hotels, cost, etc. and here it is. You know more about this stuff than I but looks like a bot to me.

#48 6 years ago

I use advertising to decide which products & services to boycott.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 299.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside