HoustonExpo2014-p3-tron-2.jpg
HoustonExpo2014-p3-tron-1.jpg
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG
JG.jpg
image-855.jpg
image.jpg
groucho-1.jpg

There are 369 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 9 years ago

Can anyone out there bring a Tempest to Houston?
Maybe whoever bought the cabaret in Dallas this year could bring it to Houston?

Also, whoever snagged Orbitor 1, sure would be great to play in Houston again, hint hint...

#52 9 years ago

Hate to ask but will anyways? Are yall doing anything about the dj? Brought my wife and daughter last year and we left a couple hours after getting there as the dj's volume was extremely uncomfortably loud. Made a great event a disappointing trip. If not, my family and I will have to pass

#53 9 years ago

special arcade ear plugs

ear-plugs-3.jpgear-plugs-3.jpg

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Hate to ask but will anyways? Are yall doing anything about the dj? Brought my wife and daughter last year and we left a couple hours after getting there as the dj's volume was extremely uncomfortably loud. Made a great event a disappointing trip. If not, my family and I will have to pass

Agreed. Massively too loud. Could not hear any of the machines and the give away trivia every ten minutes was horrific... That was the only part of the show I would change and this seems to be a generally shared viewed by just about everyone.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Can anyone out there bring a Tempest to Houston?
Maybe whoever bought the cabaret in Dallas this year could bring it to Houston?
Also, whoever snagged Orbital 1, sure would be great to play in Houston again, hint hint...

Marc sold it? That is such a cool game.

#56 9 years ago

i think it sold in dallas too

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i think it sold in dallas too

Oh that's right. Also sold his Hercules and almost sold his Varkon (came in a few hundred under reserve at the auction). I guess he was moving out the odd balls. I'd like an Orbitor 1 but what do you do when the bowl gets chipped or cracked? Totally irreplaceable is my guess.

#58 9 years ago

TigerLaw,
You should go to the expo in Houston. lsu cant even beat state so don't waste your $$$ on tix to the BAMA game bro. HAHAHA
tROLL TIDE

#59 9 years ago

You're preaching to the choir here.
The DJ is the lead organizer of the show Keith. Everyone has complained about it for years, but he doesn't seem to care. The on going joke is the more beer he drinks the louder the music gets. Its the one main complaint that the show could greatly improve upon.
Dont get me wrong i love the music, it sets the mood. But in the same regards, it shouldn't be so ear piercing that it makes it unenjoyable to play in the main gaming room, forget hearing any games unless their volume is cranked up to 11.

I love ya Keith, love the show. I always try to support this show by bring a game or two year after year. I Just wish you would consider turning it down a bit, its don't like no one has ever mentioned this before.

Rant off....to an otherwise super fun show.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

The DJ is the lead organizer of the show Keith. Everyone has complained about it for years, but he doesn't seem to care.

Well, they need to cut the volume for the music in half so people can hear the games they are playing and get rid, entirely, of the excessively loud trivia every few minutes to win flyers that deafens the entire main room.

I'm actually glad to hear I'm not alone in this view.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

TigerLaw,
You should go to the expo in Houston. lsu cant even beat state so don't waste your $$$ on tix to the BAMA game bro. HAHAHA
tROLL TIDE

Just because we didn't beat Miss St . . . doesn't mean we won't pop you guys. It just means the tickets got a little cheaper for me!!!

Saban and Miles.gifSaban and Miles.gif

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Marc sold it? That is such a cool game.

I played it last night!

*Edit* Thanks for the warning about the volume levels guys. Unless something is definitely said about that prior to the event I will specifically skip it for that. The first year I went to TPF was just deafeningly loud, I can't deal with a repeat of that. Ugh.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I played it last night!

did you buy it ?

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

did you buy it ?

I actually remember it was bought by a young couple (they looked like they were in their late 20's or so) . . . I guess they were Dallas residents.

#65 9 years ago

Orbitor sold at TPF to a couple in Houston, it was purchased a few months back by a Dallas collector (and it's currently in his home arcade). He went after it at the request of his wife who loves it, so I don't think that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Orbitor sold at TPF to a couple in Houston, it was purchased a few months back by a Dallas collector (and it's currently in his home arcade). He went after it at the request of his wife who loves it, so I don't think that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

boooo

baby-2.jpgbaby-2.jpg

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

While that was true, it recently sold to someone in the Dallas area.

#68 9 years ago

wow... it's bouncing.
i'd buy that puppy, fix the small crack in the front of the plastic playfield, and bring it to the shows

#69 9 years ago

ps. Keith could release a horde of rabid monkeys at the Houston Arcade Expo and i'd still have a blast.

Doing cigar night on Friday again?
I missed it last year, and no one was at the pool on Sat night.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

While that was true, it recently sold to someone in the Dallas area.

I played it last night.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

I played it last night.

Killin' me !!!!

baby-1.jpegbaby-1.jpeg

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I played it last night!
*Edit* Thanks for the warning about the volume levels guys. Unless something is definitely said about that prior to the event I will specifically skip it for that. The first year I went to TPF was just deafeningly loud, I can't deal with a repeat of that. Ugh.

I know the tpf you are talking about and it was like a library compared to last year's Houston show. It honestly should be illegal to have speakers that close to people at that volume. Permanent damage could easily occur. My wife and daughter spent 90% of there time on the couch out in the hall. I fought threw it for a couple of hours and just left considering it money and time wasted. If you go bring earplugs for you and your kids. Sad you would have to do that but outside of that I would be concerned about them having fun at all.

I know I sound like an old stick in the mud but it was really that big of an issue for my family at what should be a "family event".

#73 9 years ago

Good luck getting my younger kid to keep earplugs in. Ain't going to happen, much like my attendance at Houston when/if this is the case.

#74 9 years ago

this year's sound track sponsored by . . .

elevator-music-1.jpgelevator-music-1.jpg

#75 9 years ago

Show = Great

Music / PA / prize announcements = not great

#76 9 years ago

Updated
Speakers and Clinics

11/08/14
11 am Ken Graham Former Williams Programmer talks shop
1 pm Arcade Repair Tips- Tim Peterson and Jonathan Leung
2 pm Dutch Pinball
3 pm Multimorphic- The P3 pinball platform
4 pm Walter Day, Billy Mitchell and other Tourney Players Q&A Round Table

#77 9 years ago

how cool !!
i got to spend an afternoon with Walter Day in Austin a while back. very nice guy.

#78 9 years ago

Just posted on Pinside Events about the upcoming 2014 Houston Arcade Expo Nov 7-8th.
Reserve your hotel room sooner than later.
https://pinside.com/pinball/events/2014-houston-area-arcade-expo-2014

afmcostume2014.jpg 63 KB

2014haagflyer.jpg 196 KB

Whoa, I just realized that I can most likely make this,
I'll be done doing work in California the day before this event starts!

#79 9 years ago

Hey Guys,

We will be doing it just like the past and have the volume low during the day (just above the volume of the games) then louder at night. We have TONS of compliments of the music and the fun we have and only a few people complain. There is not a Ton of activity on the mike until Saturday night when we do the trivia, and yes we have to turn it up some because people cannot hear Erich and I over the games....

I have no clue why someone would sit out in the hall, in reality two thirds of the convention has minimal sound and no lights, just enough to hear ticket calls and as I said during the day the volume is just ABOVE the massive sound of the games. I guess they where bored and really more interested in their Iphones?

And I always find it funny that the people who complain most about something are the ones that really contribute the least, how about be constructive and participate and bring a game to support the show? We can put you in the quite area...

We don't get cranking until 10 pm, so your young children and stick in the mud's should be in bed by then anyway...

We are not the TPF or Chicago or any other show, it is serious Arcade fun for us and I would like to keep it that way. If you don't like Music just come during the DAY...or stay in the huge two thirds of the convention that has only two speakers!

Anyway for real, if it is too loud during the day all you have to do is talk to us and we will bring the volume down. But at late night you better be ready to ROCK!

We plan to have a blast and sincerely hope to see you there!

cheers!
Keith and the Houston Arcade Deaf Degenerates

#80 9 years ago

gandalfnet - Since you decided to take this route.....

My wife, daughter an I were there during the day as we did a turn around trip from Austin. We left before 4pm on the way home on sat. So it was not just the night that was an issue. Heck, just look at the people that agreed with my comments before. If you have this many agreed it was excessive on a pinball forum I’m sure there are a lot more than you think that felt the same. Here's an example for you though - The Corvette machine next to the booth was unplayable due to the DJ speakers sitting right next to it. That whole room was uncomfortable. The other room with the tournament area wasn’t as bad and the other room across the hall only had vendors but it was fine.

- My wife and daughter WERE NOT BORED. They WERE NOT on there I-phones. They were outside because the DJ call outs hurt their ears. To be honest it hurt mine to but I dealt with it since I wanted to try out a couple of games I was interested in buying. The ironic thing is when I would go outside with them i'd hear other people saying they are outside "resting from the noise" too. This is supposed to be a family event and thus should cater to families and kids.

- The trivia was quite honestly pointless. I doubt 10% of the people there cared about any of it. While playing games I heard every bit of 2 dozen + people saying basically the same thing, "I wish they would just stop with that, it's getting annoying".

- Why do people always go to the "And I always find it funny that the people who complain most about something are the ones that really contribute the least," statement. Is it because you have no valid argument for what you want to take a stance on? Do you know me? Do you know what I do? how do you know I don't contribute to the community? Fact is you don't. I guarantee I put in every bit (if not more) time than you trying to better pinball as a hobby. We just do it in different ways though. I'm sure we both help local pinheads trouble shoot and repair their machines and move things around (seems like an every weekend thing). This past year I've spent every bit of 1000 hours building virtual tables for the community. Pinside might not care but the VP people do. I'm one of the most active builders in that community and people (atleast in that world) appreciate what I do. This year I've also helped invent a new product for pinball and worked with a vendor to get it to market for cheap. This is just a couple of things I've done this year. In high level, just because I didn't bring a game to your show, don't sit there and tell me I don't contribute to the community.

Glad to see you are willing to turn it down a bit if it gets excessive. Somehow I find that hard to believe it would be the case based off the feedback I've already seen. I guess I wont know as I am losing my desire to go to this event anyways.

As i write this I know I'm probably on my own island and is why I was hesitant to even post the question before. I felt as though you were blowing off the issue and also attacking me a bit thus I felt it necessary to respond to inform a bit.

#81 9 years ago

Not attacking you, just giving a counter point. You can take it how you want and flame and make drama (been through ALL of that on RGP) You make your opinion known I was just defending the show we have put on for 14 years....

You are right I do not know you but I know you have not contributed to the Houston show, I am glad you help out the hobby on other things but I was talking about the Houston show so please stay on topic.

The trivia does not start until like 10 pm bro... that would be night time bub

the trivia was not pointless, we had up to 30 people participating alot of them are the hard core members of the Texas arcade groups that brought games to the show and they got to win a lot of cool stuff...No it is not an event for everyone and you might hate it, but there are others who like it... ever thought of that???

Anyway, I hope you come to the show during the day and have a good time. I am just supporting something I have worked on and devoted a lot of time for the last 14 years...

cheers!
Keith

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from gandalfnet:

Not attacking you, just giving a counter point. You can take it how you want and flame and make drama (been through ALL of that on RGP)
Keith

Dude, I'm not stupid. I deal with people like you all day long every day. You have to throw in a jab here or there to try and belittle someone to make yourself feel better. That's what you did with your I-phone comment and the comment about not doing anything for the community. Now you have to throw in the "flame and make drama" part. I just have the type of personality to call you out on it. So in essence you started the drama, I had zero desire to go there until you took it there. I asked a simple question that is a valid concern and already supported by many.

So, it wasn't trivia then. sorry. Then what was the stuff they were giving away every 10 mins during the day for being one of the first to show with the answer? That is what I was talking about. Sounded like trivia to me but either way it was pointless and annoying. I know it happened before 10pm as I left before dinner on Sat.

I understand there are some that like the event as is. I was simply offering up feedback to make it better and more enjoyable for more people. "Ever thought of that?"

Put your ego aside for a min and step outside the box and look at the question that was initially posed and even you should be able to see that it was an honest question that had the potential to help make the show better.

What's next? When will you start calling me a troll now?

Have fun at your show and I sincerely apologize for asking a simple question in an effort to make the show BETTER for all.

Cheers!

#83 9 years ago

We will have a great time,

Have a nice day!

#84 9 years ago

so is Orbitor 1 coming to Houston again ?
love that game...

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

I played it last night.

Can you ask the new Orbitor 1 owner if he has any plans to bring it to the Houston Expo?

#86 9 years ago

http://arcadecenter.com/Exhibitors.asp
News flash.

Dutch Pinball will be at the show with 4 machines and will do a seminar.

Dutch Pinball it all started with two guys from Holland with a passion for pinball: Barry Driessen and Koen Heltzel. For some time we had been thinking about starting some sort of pinball project, but it wasn't until april 2010 that we actually got the ball rolling. We heard about the P-ROC board and visited someone in Holland who had ordered it. Soon enough we decided we were going to order one too and try to develop brand new software for The Machine: Bride of Pinbot, that would feature a dot matrix display (originally it has alpha numeric displays) and was more appealing than the original (which is often considered a one-shot game). First we got our hardware sorted out by putting in a newer transformer, a DMD display and a DMD controller board (for powering the new display). Then we started developing new software and graphics. After that Jules Reivers joined our team to help with a very important - and yet missing - part of the game: music and sound effects!

#87 9 years ago

After that Jules Reivers joined our team to help with a very important - and yet missing - part of the game: music and sound effects!

Yeah for Dutch Pinball !!!!

ps. on first read, i though it said, "After that Joan Rivers joined our team..."

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

My wife and I bought the Orbitor1 at TPF this year. She just kinda sprung it on me on the last day that she wanted it. I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Someone from Dallas contacted us with an offer and she accepted it. I would have liked to keep it to bring to Expo at least, but alas, it was hers to sell and I guess the novelty wore off quickly for her.

And TigerLaw, I wish we were still in our late 20s, lol.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from gandalfnet:

And I always find it funny that the people who complain most about something are the ones that really contribute the least, how about be constructive and participate and bring a game to support the show? We can put you in the quite area...

We don't get cranking until 10 pm, so your young children and stick in the mud's should be in bed by then anyway...

Wow... a big F-you to you too. Repeated contributor to TPF, I brought all my games that I had to TPF the last two years, already signed up for next year. Was talking to someone about potentially coming down there for tournaments, my wife was going to volunteer, but after this post...

You can guess what I will not be signing up for.

#90 9 years ago

For the record. I do enjoy the trivia Saturday night....and I have won some cool prizes. Keep it going.
Where is Puffy?

#91 9 years ago

I have some creative ideas for this year's trivia that I think you'll like, Craig. Ok, I'll bite. Who's Puffy?

#92 9 years ago

Awww yeah we should have some sweet prizes this year!

#93 9 years ago

That sounds like a trivia question right there.

#95 9 years ago

that statement is in stereo. is that a hint to the answer?

hmm...

2 puffies
puffy puffy
puff * 2
left puffy right puffy

#96 9 years ago

Puff..Puff..pass

#97 9 years ago

Can you ask the new Orbitor 1 owner if he has any plans to bring it to the Houston Expo?

Gosh, I sure hope that game makes an appearance. Is there even another one in playable condition in driving range from Houston or is Marc's old example the only one around?

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gosh, I sure hope that game makes an appearance. Is there even another one in playable condition in driving range from Houston or is Marc's old example the only one around?

That is the only one I know of around Texas. I haven't been to Pinballz Arcade to know if there is one there. Anyone know?

So the Dutch Pinball annoucement wasn't big enough to make you want to attend the Expo and watch the game in the bar area?

#99 9 years ago

What type of music does the DJ play?

#100 9 years ago

80's and club music and ...
it's a blast.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 15.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet - Other
Custom 3D Printing Pre-order!
Twisted Tokens
Other
There are 369 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2014-houston-arcade-expo-nov-7-8th-dirty-donny-to-return/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.